Photo

'McLaren told Alonso: Be nice or else'

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 robnyc

robnyc

• 5,350 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:09

Fernando Alonso was effectively paid-off to put his name to a conciliatory farewell when he left the McLaren team in November, according to reports.

In the press release published by the Woking outfit on November 2 that confirmed the Spaniard's departure, a notably contrite Alonso was quoted as saying: "I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team.

"Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home. I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win."

The acknowledgment represented a substantial u-turn from Alonso after months of paranoid suggestions that the team had favoured Lewis Hamilton.

However, it has now been alleged by F1 Racing Magazine that Alonso was given little choice by to sanction the quotes.

'On November 2, Alonso, his manager and a lawyer met with McLaren and were presented with two options: go quietly, signing a press statement alluding to an amicable parting; or go through lengthy and painful court proceedings for breach of contract.'

By agreeing to the first option, Alonso thus became a free agent, available to sign for any team of his choosing.

http://planet-f1.com...2926897,00.html

=====================

Advertisement

#2 jigc

jigc

• 170 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:17

why should Mc want to keep his mouth shut?
did Mc cheat again?;)

#3 geGR

geGR

• 1,749 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:19

Ahh, partly confirmation of http://forums.autosp...&threadid=97897

Well, this is a nice little settlement, beneficiary for both sides. ;)

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:25

Originally posted by robnyc
However, it has now been alleged by F1 Racing Magazine that Alonso was given little choice by to sanction the quotes.

Actually, he had every choice. He could have refused to do so and ripped up his contract. And pay a ****load of damages to McLaren for said breach - or, if he was in the right, be able to sue McLaren for a ****load of damages. Or complied with his contract and had another year or so of purgatory with McLaren.

#5 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:27

Nothing out of the ordinary. They had the same arrangement with Montoya.
It's a commercial company and a high profile driver can damage the reputation of the company if he keeps dishing out statements about the company (be they true or not).

#6 HaPe

HaPe

• 1,017 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:32

Originally posted by ensign14
Actually, he had every choice. He could have.....

Well ....in this regards, everybody has every choice all the time.
Even if a madman holds a gun to your head and ask whether he should kill you, you would have the choice ..to say "yes" or "no".
The question is only whats the better (best) choice for you (here Alonso).;) :p

#7 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:33

It's not really a new info. At the annual 'Stars and Cars' show in Stuttgart Norbert Haug said they can still sue Alonso if he starts to say things about the team those are "not true". He also suggested they have good cards in their hands if suing will be needed as Alonso violated his contract several times during the season.

#8 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:33

'On November 2, Alonso, his manager and a lawyer met with McLaren and were presented with two options: go quietly, signing a press statement alluding to an amicable parting; or go through lengthy and painful court proceedings for breach of contract.'

That doesn't surprise me as I suspected all along that something like that had happened. It's nothing more than common (business) sense.

#9 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:36

Originally posted by HaPe

The question is only whats the better (best) choice for you (here Alonso).;) :p

Well, depends if I were in the right or wrong. If I were in the right, I'd've been able to declare repudiatory breach of contract and go to another team without having to pay compensation.

#10 HaPe

HaPe

• 1,017 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:40

Originally posted by ensign14
If I were in the right, I'd've been able to declare repudiatory breach of contract and go to another team without having to pay compensation.

Alonso didnt felt that way, obviously.
And for me its also hard to see a repudiatory breach of contract from McLaren?! :confused:

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:54

And for me its also hard to see a repudiatory breach of contract from McLaren?! :confused:

That's the point. ;)

#12 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 17:01

I would not be so surprised by this, it's quite obvious :)

When you will get golden kick (in this case it was since it saved Alonso lots of money) you will not scream how bad company is :)

#13 robnyc

robnyc

• 5,350 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 17:03

Originally posted by Tomecek
I would not be so surprised by this, it's quite obvious :)

When you will get golden kick (in this case it was since it saved Alonso lots of money) you will not scream how bad company is :)

Speed and Liuzzi kind of did about Toro Rosso Mgmt.

#14 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 17:21

i would love to see hamilton squeeze alonso´s neck.

unfortunately i think we will see hamilton squeeze ron. ron squeeze pamela, haug squeezing his own belly, alonso snoring at the squeeze.

it´s the black mail revenge: so long as long i see your back.

#15 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 17:45

Speed and Liuzzi kind of did about Toro Rosso Mgmt.

Their kicks were kinda less gold plated.

#16 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 18:09

Originally posted by jigc

Heh, why they have setup a whole propaganga machine to tell truths?

#17 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,478 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 18:36

Timstr11 :up:

Nothing out of the ordinary. They had the same arrangement with Montoya.
It's a commercial company and a high profile driver can damage the reputation of the company if he keeps dishing out statements about the company (be they true or not).

However, Full Paranoia Marks to jigc :up: :cool:

did Mc cheat again?

#18 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 18:42

MacLaren, the team that has earned a reputation of excellent team/driver relations at the hands of Ron Dennis. Probably because every conversation is recorded and has a tag team of attorneys with knives behind their backs standing by.
I wonder when the name of Formula One will change to Formula Lawyer, or has it already?

#19 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 18:45

Fernando Alonso was effectively paid-off to put his name to a conciliatory farewell when he left the McLaren team in November, according to reports.

In the press release published by the Woking outfit on November 2 that confirmed the Spaniard's departure, a notably contrite Alonso was quoted as saying: "I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team.

"Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home. I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win."

The acknowledgment represented a substantial u-turn from Alonso after months of paranoid suggestions that the team had favoured Lewis Hamilton.

By agreeing to the first option, Alonso thus became a free agent, available to sign for any team of his choosing.

http://planet-f1.com...2926897,00.html

=====================

If what is being said here is that Mclaren blackmailed Alonso into silence then it is the most stupid of articles.

A contract that forbids you from speaking the truth especially when the truth will reveal a law violation is ineffective.

If Alonso should go ahead and mouth nonsense about Mclaren, he could still be sued; contract or no contract.

These seems to me to be an article by a half-wit.

Advertisement

#20 robnyc

robnyc

• 5,350 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 19:04

Originally posted by femi

If Alonso should go ahead and mouth nonsense about Mclaren, he could still be sued; contract or no contract.

are you sure it would be nonsense. ?

Maybe Mclaren needs to cover their asses from even bigger accusations. They are deep **** already and they didn't need any more implications. They can even have points deducted for next season as it stands now.

#21 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 19:23

Alonso did the right thing. Spending months in court for breach of contract? For what? Like Alonso's silence is going to change what we already know about Ron/Mac and how they do business. :

#22 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,747 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 19:24

Is this news? It's called an amicable arrangement, Fernando moves on his merry way and doesn't talk smack and McLaren move on their way and don't talk smack. Absolutely no different than when I parted ways with a company back in 2001, or if I left where I work tomorrow. It's an absolutely standard arrangement between employee and employer.

#23 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 19:30

Originally posted by Ricardo F1
Is this news? It's called an amicable arrangement, Fernando moves on his merry way and doesn't talk smack and McLaren move on their way and don't talk smack. Absolutely no different than when I parted ways with a company back in 2001, or if I left where I work tomorrow. It's an absolutely standard arrangement between employee and employer.

:up: It's funny. I got this letter yesterday from my kids daycare saying Mrs.so and so was leaving. There was a tremendous dislike between the person leaving and the director who had written the letter yet as I was reading I was struck by how nice and complimentary the letter was. :lol:

#24 four1

four1

• 507 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 19:31

Now that McCheats have settled that potential problem they should come up with an incentive to keep RD from opening his mouth. Honest Ron has done more damage to McCheats reputation in one year than Alonso could ever do over the next ten years.

#25 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 19:37

Originally posted by four1
Now that McCheats have settled that potential problem they should come up with an incentive to keep RD from opening his mouth. Honest Ron has done more damage to McCheats reputation in one year than Alonso could ever do over the next ten years.

ron is responsibly for mclaren success anyway.
obsession to cover hamilton has done him that recent reputation.

#26 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 19:41

Originally posted by femi

A contract that forbids you from speaking the truth especially when the truth will reveal a law violation is ineffective.

Yes, and McLaren will know that. It is a standard thing to stop reputational damage. And doubtless it's a mutual clause.

#27 dgsg

dgsg

• 631 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 20:39

Originally posted by F1 Tor.

:up: It's funny. I got this letter yesterday from my kids daycare saying Mrs.so and so was leaving. There was a tremendous dislike between the person leaving and the director who had written the letter yet as I was reading I was struck by how nice and complimentary the letter was. :lol:

Yeah, like going to a funeral, you ever hear what a S.O.B. someone was?

#28 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 20:55

was to be expected - I'm sure McLaren don't want Fernando telling all and sundry his side of the stepneygate story...

#29 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 20:56

Originally posted by Raelene
was to be expected - I'm sure McLaren don't want Fernando telling all and sundry his side of the stepneygate story...

The lack of knowledge of some folks defies understanding!

#30 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 21:06

You dont' think they'd be worried about what he would say :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I think any employer would do the same thing when they have a falling out with an employee...

#31 robnyc

robnyc

• 5,350 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 21:33

For those of you who know how to read Spanish. Ron was interviewed by eltiempo (Colombia's biggest newspaper) and he had some very interesting comments to make about the departure of both Alonso and Montoya from Mclaren.
He said Montoya was stupid for leaving Formula 1.
I can't believe he actually contradicts himself in this answer..

(Se queda pensando 30 segundos) Él y yo llegamos a un acuerdo para no criticarnos. Sin embargo, yo creo que fue tonto al dejar la Fórmula 1 por un incidente de carrera. Él es un buen piloto y buena gente. Yo lo entiendo, porque su situación al interior del equipo se complicó y se tornó muy difícil, especialmente con el cuerpo técnico.

transl....

(thinking for 30 secs) . Juan and I, reached an agreement to not criticize ourselves. [Now check this out] However I think that he was stupid to leave Formula 1 just for a simple racing incident. He is a good driver and a good person. I understand him, because his situation with the internal part of the team got complicated and it turned very difficult, specially with the technical department.

:drunk:

On Alonso..

¿Qué piensa de que los últimos pilotos hayan salido de McLaren con problemas?
No veo que hayamos tenido problemas más allá de lo normal. En realidad, la única relación que terminó mal fue con Fernando Alonso. Nos hubiera gustado que las cosas no terminaran así. Pero ya no hay nada qué hacer y ahora estamos pensando en el 2008.

transl...

What do you think about the last driver leaving Mclaren with problems.?
I don't see that we've had bigger problems outside of the normal. In reality, the only relationship that ended up bad was with Fernando. We would have wished that things didn't end this way. But there is nothing we can do now and we are now thinking about 2008.

There is more from this interview on their main sport page.

#32 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 21:42

If this story is true, very shrewd (and understandable) move by McLaren. Chances are he would have spilled the beans once he got another drive secured so they essentially placed a gag order on him for a year or two. Enough time for the team to recover from the 2007 disaster and hopefully have a few fruitful few years with Lewis and [place 2nd driver name here].

Anyway, I would be suprised if Alonso is hot and bothered over the document the team made him sign. He was not happy with the team and I'm sure eager to move on to another opportunity. Plus, he was the one that stirred up trouble within the team by not settling down and simply fighting with his teammate. I suppose we won't hear about any managerial shenanigans for a while.

#33 robnyc

robnyc

• 5,350 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 21:52

Originally posted by Jodum5
If this story is true, very shrewd (and understandable) move by McLaren. Chances are he would have spilled the beans once he got another drive secured so they essentially placed a gag order on him for a year or two. Enough time for the team to recover from the 2007 disaster and hopefully have a few fruitful few years with Lewis and [place 2nd driver name here].

Anyway, I would be suprised if Alonso is hot and bothered over the document the team made him sign. He was not happy with the team and I'm sure eager to move on to another opportunity. Plus, he was the one that stirred up trouble within the team by not settling down and simply fighting with his teammate. I suppose we won't hear about any managerial shenanigans for a while.

I think Lewis started it by not giving Alonso his his lap back as agreed previously or by badmouthing his team in Monaco.

#34 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 844 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 21:52

Originally posted by Ricardo F1

Exactly! I recently changed jobs and one of the (many) things I had to sign, besides non-compete, non-poaching, etc, was a non-disparagement agreement, which says that I can't say anything bad about the company, the company officers, the staff, the finances, etc. The non-compete and non-poach agreement last a year, the non-disparagement is forever.

There's nothing new here.

#35 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 00:00

Old news, really. Or, Old junk news. Twist all they want.....Planet F1... :lol:

Now Ron said Montoya is stupid to leave F1 for a racing incident?

I remember everyone, I mean everyone was crucifying Juan being over aggressive, hitting his teammate, blah blah blah and blah.....................................

#36 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 00:06

Make sure the bitter bitcher don't bullshit about McLaren, too right, don't blame them.

#37 Asperon

Asperon

• 653 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:21

Originally posted by MarkWRX

Exactly! I recently changed jobs and one of the (many) things I had to sign, besides non-compete, non-poaching, etc, was a non-disparagement agreement, which says that I can't say anything bad about the company, the company officers, the staff, the finances, etc. The non-compete and non-poach agreement last a year, the non-disparagement is forever.

There's nothing new here.

The question is whether its new for Formula 1. It seems to be rare.

#38 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:24

Originally posted by Raelene
You dont' think they'd be worried about what he would say :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Most certainly they would be and probably still are. There's no way, no way we know even close to all there is to the spy saga. We've been told the bare minimum, that's all.

#39 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:32

Originally posted by DLaw

I remember everyone, I mean everyone was crucifying Juan being over aggressive, hitting his teammate, blah blah blah and blah.....................................

IMHO JPM was silly to leave F1 due to the incident. But you have to remember that it wasn't really just that one incident at Indy. He was close to taking his teammate (KR) out in some earlier races as well. Beating KR had become an obsession for him and he was taking big risks. So when Indy happened, it was just too much, it was almost expected. Also, JPM had had some dumb things like spinning on the grid in Melbourne and then causing his own DNF later in the race. It really wasn't just the Indy incident. Even so, he shouldn't have just left F1, but he did, and hopefully he's happy now.

Advertisement

#40 Jakob

Jakob

• 229 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:30

Alonso didnt felt that way, obviously.

Or simply didn't want to get into a lengthy, expensive and potentially harming trial with a unknown outcome when a "friendly" agreement was cheaper, easier and faster for both parties.

Doy you really think "being right" has really much to do with the decision of suing or not suing? If so it's cute, but quite naïve from your part ;)

Maybe Mclaren needs to cover their asses from even bigger accusations. They are deep **** already and they didn't need any more implications. They can even have points deducted for next season as it stands now.

More likely didn't want the bad press. Really people, there need not be any conspiracy, this kind of agreements are very common in the corporate world. McLaren wouldn't benefit from FA throwing dirt over them day in, day out, nor from having an openly hostile driver but with a bullet proof contract racing for them. FA wouldn't benefit from racing where he doesn't feel loved nor needed.

What is actually surprising is that for the first time this year, both parties where able to take the most sensible option without the ego-clash and pissing contests that have become the norm all season. I expected both to drag the negotiation through the mud...it was quite refreshing to see that they could actually think logically.

#41 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:37

Originally posted by Jakob

Doy you really think "being right" has really much to do with the decision of suing or not suing? If so it's cute, but quite naïve from your part ;)

You'd be surprised...

#42 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:45

Originally posted by DLaw
Old news, really. Or, Old junk news. Twist all they want.....Planet F1... :lol:

Not everyone, the funny thing is that Ron ("racing incident") defended him!
At that moment.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/52956

#43 Expeditious

Expeditious

• 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:06

Originally posted by HSJ

Most certainly they would be and probably still are. There's no way, no way we know even close to all there is to the spy saga. We've been told the bare minimum, that's all.

For someone who's been a fan of McLaren for as long as, well as long as Mika and Kimi were driving there, you seem awful quick to judge them on this issue, wouldn't have anything to do with you supporting Ferrari, who you absolutely loathed when they were competing with Kimi, now that Kimi has moved there, would it?

#44 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:36

Originally posted by Expeditious

For someone who's been a fan of McLaren for as long as, well as long as Mika and Kimi were driving there, you seem awful quick to judge them on this issue, wouldn't have anything to do with you supporting Ferrari, who you absolutely loathed when they were competing with Kimi, now that Kimi has moved there, would it?

come on. don't be so silly.

#45 HaPe

HaPe

• 1,017 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:51

Originally posted by Jakob

Or simply didn't want to get into a lengthy, expensive and potentially harming trial with a unknown outcome when a "friendly" agreement was cheaper, easier and faster for both parties.

No. As I already mentioned just before:
It's only the question what is the better (the best) decision. Right as you say.;)

#46 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 13:30

Originally posted by Expeditious

Oh, another mind reader! Hey, thanks for your comments. You may be right. Then again...

Actually I've surprised myself for the second time this year: I've forgiven McLaren. That does not mean I consider their 2007 results legitimate or anything of the kind. What it does mean is that I give them a chance to redeem themselves next year. A fresh start and all that. However, I'm skeptical the current management is up to it, but it would be nice if they could do it before retiring (I'm thinking of Ron mainly).

#47 Georg_Kuyumji

Georg_Kuyumji

• 664 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 13:58

Originally posted by scheivlak

Not everyone, the funny thing is that Ron ("racing incident") defended him!
At that moment.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/52956

Got no autosport subscription, can you briefly sum up what Ron Dennis said about JPM and Kimis crash?

It is still today not quite clear what caused JPM to leave after Indy, could it be that the incident immediately resulted in a brawl within the Team.

#48 robnyc

robnyc

• 5,350 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 15:17

Originally posted by Georg_Kuyumji

Got no autosport subscription, can you briefly sum up what Ron Dennis said about JPM and Kimis crash?

It is still today not quite clear what caused JPM to leave after Indy, could it be that the incident immediately resulted in a brawl within the Team.

Ron suggested that the incident was the trigger and that Juan was silly for leaving F1 (not Mclaren). But he also said that he understood Juan because he was in a vary unpleasant and difficult situation with the team specially with the engineers not necessarily as a result of Indy. His problems with the team started way back since 05.

EDIT: That old Autosport article I assume says what Ron said after the race. That it was a racing Incident and Montoya was not at fault because he was given no room by Button.

#49 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,747 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 15:23

Originally posted by HSJ

Oh, another mind reader! Hey, thanks for your comments. You may be right. Then again...

Actually I've surprised myself for the second time this year: I've forgiven McLaren. That does not mean I consider their 2007 results legitimate or anything of the kind. What it does mean is that I give them a chance to redeem themselves next year. A fresh start and all that. However, I'm skeptical the current management is up to it, but it would be nice if they could do it before retiring (I'm thinking of Ron mainly).

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sorry, couldn't resist.

#50 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,747 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 15:23

That it was a racing Incident and Montoya was not at fault because he was given no room by Button.

And he had no brakes apparently. :lol: