Photo

Toyota TF108 (merge)

• Please log in to reply
457 replies to this topic

#1 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 15:43

I vagualy remember a thread being opened for this but I couldn't find it with doing a search...If there already is one, please moderators, add this post to the existing thread and delete this one...

-----------

The new Toyota will be launched on the 10th of January and is expected to be quite different from last season's car. Trulli, in some translated Q&A, confirms this.

Q: Jarno, you've been in Cologne a few days ago. Have you already seen the new car ?
Trulli: ''Yes, it's very different from last year's car. It's radically changed, it has a completely new aerodynamic bodywork. But the results on track will be the only thing that counts. We'll present the new car on the 10th of January, then we go to Jerez the following week. And there we'll get the first impressions.''

Q: What's your aim for 2008 ?
Trulli: ''To get something similar to the 2005 season. That was to be a simple transitional year for us at Toyota, but infact it went better than we had expected. We had podium finishes, good races and some great qualifying performances. After a dissapointing championship (this year), being able to return to those levels would already be a good result. But everything will depend on the car. I know this sport and its environment well enough not to take make rash predictions. I'd rather talk when we've collected certain data. But obviously we want to move forward.''

Q: For Toyota you're the point of reference and you'll be accompanied by Timo Glock. What do you expect of him ?
Trulli: ''Timo is young but has great potential. He's fast too, strong and motivated. He'll be a stimulus for me. I always prefer to have a ''difficult' teammate. I like that.''

Q: Is this criticism towards Ralf ?
Trulli: ''I don't respond.''

Q: Have you ever had any real temptation to leave Toyota ?
Trulli: ''Sometimes I've had this temptation. But I've put my money on this project and I want to believe in it right till the end. I expected there to be difficult moments, but I confirm that I've affirmed (to this project) many times (also). Toyota has great potential and sooner or later it will be able to fully exploit this.''

Q: What kind of Formula 1 do you expect after a year full of scandals ?
Trulli: ''I think the sport will find a way to overcome this difficult moment and to fully make a clean start again. Today the economical aspect in Formula 1 is too imporant, it often overshadows the sportive aspect. But this isn't a peculiarity of this sport, unfortunately it's like this in every sport, think about what has happened in football or cycling. Formula 1 isn't immune to this 'contagion'. But there's no need to surrender and it's necessary to put the competition back in the middle of the picture.''

Q: The 2008 regulations should help in this repsect considering the ban on electronic aids...
Trulli: ''I've always been in favour of reducing the (influence of) electronics. This year traction control will be gone, after all we've (Trulli is one of the few actually - AFCA) (already) been driving without it for years. It's true that more incidents can occur, but we're talking about off track excursions here, not about fatal risks. The safety really won't be less. This new situation will be helpful to have a better competition.''

Q: ''You're an athlete that also likes to do other sports. Is it just a way to keep yourself fit ?
Trulli: ''No, I'm passionate about sports, I'm curious and I like getting to know other sports. I've done a marathon for instance. And I like a lot of wintersports. After all, since I've moved to Switzerland, to S. Moritz, there hasn't been lack of snow.''

Q: What do you like particularly ?
Trulli: ''Skiing, eventhough I don't do it so often because the risk of falling is too big. I like cross-country skiing also. I had trained a lot to take part in the Engadin Ski Marathon last year, then I was called up by Toyota to come to Japan. When I came back I got the flu and all the effort turned out to be for nothing.''

Q: Other experiences ?
Trulli: ''I've tried out a bobsledge. Very exciting, it's in some way a similar experience to driving a Formula 1 car.''

Q: Are you tempted to combat sports ?
Trulli: ''I think that in fysical sports a good preperation isn't enough. You need to have the capacity to manage your own powers and you need years of experience. I don't have that.''

How do you spend your time in this period ?
Trulli: ''With family and friends. A week in Italy, then I go back to my house in Switserland.''

Advertisement

#2 SchumiF1

SchumiF1

• 133 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 17:05

Glock to win a race.

#3 AirCT

AirCT

• 9 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 17:42

Another uneventful and mediocre year I reckon.

I'm hoping Timo proves me wrong but Trulli will stay the same I reckon

#4 patgaw

patgaw

• 506 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 21:21

he dont want to lie :p

#5 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 23:13

Originally posted by patgaw

he dont want to lie :p

The journalist is provoking Trulli out of nothing really. It doesn't mean Trulli does not think that Ralf was not any of these things. Any answer he would have given would be blown out of proportion by one or other newspaper and used as a headline... ****... as many of them tend to be...

#6 cartman

cartman

• 341 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:08

Two more years for Toyota success - boss

So what happens if they still suck two years from now? Will they pull out of F1?

#7 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:54

Originally posted by cartman

So what happens if they still suck two years from now? Will they pull out of F1?

I guess they are now giving us a date for their exit, effectively.
2 years doesn't seem like much time to be challenging at the front from where they are now.

#8 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:45

After some good talks between Mallya and Toyota it was decided that Kingfisher Airlines would leave Toyota as a sponsor, so the contract that exprired at the end of 2008 was not honoured.

Tadashi Yamashina: “I would like to thank Kingfisher Airlines for their support in 2007 and I wish mister Mallya all the best with his new Formula 1 adventure. I look forward meeting him again on the grid next year, eventhough he now is tied to another team.''

#9 speedy

speedy

• 1,783 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:52

Thanks for sharing the information AFCA.

Toyota is another example of that money is no guarantee of anything. For the sake of competition I hope they started to get some success and would not leave F1.

#10 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 14:21

What does he mean by :

Originally posted by AFCA
But I've put my money on this project and I want to believe in it right till the end.[/B]

#11 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 14:31

Probably a direct reflection of Williams getting the better of them this year too. Long may that continue.

Who knows, Maybe Toyota will buy into Sir Franks team (if he lets them) instead and give up cologne to a newcomer. The German based factory that suits Audi/Porsche so well...

Lots of possibilities but it's two years away and Toyota could easily pull another 2005 out of the bag this year.

#12 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 14:52

Originally posted by shonguiz
What does he mean by :

Sounds like he's just saying he is committed to seeing out his contract with Toyota despite the fact things haven't turned out as well as he'd hoped / envisaged.

Hardly a glowing endorsement to the team eh? :|

#13 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 15:11

Originally posted by shonguiz
What does he mean by :

Simply that he's commited to Toyota and has faith in what they're doing...

#14 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 17:42

Toyota is going to do what's best for Toyota. They entered F1 to gain something and if they continue to be embarrassed there's no reason for them to stay. They're not racers like Ferrari, McLaren and Williams, they're simply in business and trying to use the racing toward the goal of selling Corollas. My question is how much improvement will they need to see in order not to pull the plug?

I don't think they're the only ones either. Does anybody think Honda or Renault would stay if they don't see success at some point?

#15 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 17:55

If Williams continues to beat them they might consider just becoming a engine supplier only, and factory supporting Williams i think.

#16 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 17:56

Originally posted by MPea3

Toyota is going to do what's best for Toyota. They entered F1 to gain something and if they continue to be embarrassed there's no reason for them to stay. They're not racers like Ferrari, McLaren and Williams, they're simply in business and trying to use the racing toward the goal of selling Corollas. My question is how much improvement will they need to see in order not to pull the plug?

I don't think they're the only ones either. Does anybody think Honda or Renault would stay if they don't see success at some point?

TBH, whilst you could once have included Ferrari and McLaren in that group, Fiat and Mercedes are in exactly the same boat as Toyota. The only team left that exists entirely to race is Williams.

#17 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 18:14

Very confusing; is it a car, was it Ralf, or that "NO GOOD" would include Trulli and everyone else in the garage (under British Management, mind you). Ralf took a lot of shellacking for his (unimpressive) performance, yet now it’s coming up that not all is so well in Toyota-land, so it seems.

#18 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 18:14

True although FIAT isnt investing in Ferrari like other manufacturers. In fact i believe Ferrari has to do things on their own. Fiat is on the car because they own Ferrari.

#19 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 19:15

Tadashi Yamashina when he became team Principal was given three years to turn things around. The middle of the 2008 season will be his second year of a three year stint.
This is not news.

Advertisement

#20 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 19:51

J. Howett is (and has been since 2003) a President-in-charge on day to day operations. He cannot shake that responsibility off.
Whilst I have no special inside of ins and outs of this team, it is nonetheless very much conceivable, that Yamashina is merely rubber-stamping decisions made at lower, Howett’s, ranks (based on believe, that people who got their ranking know their job). Howett is probably an odd-one in that kind of rationale. Kinoshita has a second job in Japan (next to his role in F1), and his involvement is therefore not what it should be.
I further think if Howett cannot perform his job due to lack of autonomy as he deems job requires, then he should resign. That however did not happened yet. I further think that Toyota leadership doesn’t trust him, and that's why they had surrounded him with their own people. It become a political game, and it’s a shame. I am pessimistic that unless more draconian measures in staffing are undertaken quickly, then I cannot see them in F1 after 2010.

#21 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 20:12

Originally posted by MPea3

Does anybody think Honda or Renault would stay if they don't see success at some point?

Toyota have spent an utter fortune, been going for 6 full seasons, and have 4 3'rd places to their name. This year, 2 6th places was the highlight. It's a laughable performance.

Both Renault and Honda are only a season past their last successes. Honda have been a full constructor (in the modern era) for only 2 seasons - with a win to their name in that time. Renault have been back in F1 as a full constructor for 6 years. They have multiple world championships, 18 wins.

Toyota registered less than 1% support of the 90,000+ FIA survey respondents. Their drivers, RS and JT 0 and 1 respectively.

They've made themselves look like idiots. They should be ashamed of themselves, their achievements and their progress.

Their most famous product is a car that's not very well made, not particularly efficient, not very nice to look at and purchased mainly by hypocritical celebrities.

They'd do well to get out before they piss any more money away.

Doug

#22 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 20:35

Originally posted by carbonfibre
If Williams continues to beat them they might consider just becoming a engine supplier only, and factory supporting Williams i think.

That would be like admitting a failure. Toyota is as committed to succeed as ever ;)

#23 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 20:37

In a way yes but im sure they will give it a positive spin.;) And it would be nice to see that Williams would get some manufacturer engine support again it could help them to get right back to the top again. :)

Toyota already got it wrong in their second year by dumping both mcnish and Salo. They should have kept them both for 1 more year, just for stability sakes. And they never really got a top designer or driver to work with them, which i find rather strange since they have the cash and could build a real topteam. It seems that Toyota themselfs are involved to much and can't let the real experts take it over and make it a succes.

#24 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 22:11

Originally posted by carbonfibre
True although FIAT isnt investing in Ferrari like other manufacturers. In fact i believe Ferrari has to do things on their own. Fiat is on the car because they own Ferrari.

Fiat aren't investing as much for the simple reason that Marlboro are still pouring in the cash. If, (and as is more probable, when), Phillip Morris ceases to pour cash into the Scuderia, cash struggling Fiat will have to fill the gap. As or when that happens, you can be absolutely sure that Fiat will ensure Fiat shareholders come way before any historical sporting significance.

Fiat, Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, Renault and BMW exist primarily to sell cars. Red Bull exists primarily to sell (hard) soft drinks and Kingfisher exists to sell beer and flights.

Williams is the ONLY team that is 100% owned and run by a company that exists entirely to go racing.

#25 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 22:16

Ofcourse i meant by "selfsufficient" that also means sponsors. And im not afraid of the fact that Ferrari couldnt find a new main sponsor.

#26 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 22:51

Originally posted by MiPe
J. Howett is (and has been since 2003) a President-in-charge on day to day operations. He cannot shake that responsibility off.
Whilst I have no special inside of ins and outs of this team, it is nonetheless very much conceivable, that Yamashina is merely rubber-stamping decisions made at lower, Howett’s, ranks (based on believe, that people who got their ranking know their job). Howett is probably an odd-one in that kind of rationale. Kinoshita has a second job in Japan (next to his role in F1), and his involvement is therefore not what it should be.
I further think if Howett cannot perform his job due to lack of autonomy as he deems job requires, then he should resign. That however did not happened yet. I further think that Toyota leadership doesn’t trust him, and that's why they had surrounded him with their own people. It become a political game, and it’s a shame. I am pessimistic that unless more draconian measures in staffing are undertaken quickly, then I cannot see them in F1 after 2010.

MPIE, I think that Yamashina is not just "Rubber-stamping" Howletts decisions, the Japanese decided to move to bridstone 2 years ago, Mike Gascoine told them that they would never win making decisions that way, so they sacked him.....I think he was right, they'll never win.

#27 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,823 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 23:10

that faint sound you hear is Mike Gascoyne laughing his ass off

#28 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 23:35

Originally posted by Youichi

MPIE, I think that Yamashina is not just "Rubber-stamping" Howletts decisions, the Japanese decided to move to bridstone 2 years ago, Mike Gascoine told them that they would never win making decisions that way, so they sacked him.....I think he was right, they'll never win.

Although in that aspect gascoyne was wrong. They were right to switch to bridgestone early because michelin had to leave the ballpark 1 year later leaving only bridgestone.

But yes we all pretty much "know" why Toyota is failing.

#29 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,823 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 00:18

If Toyota drops out it would make it easier for Honda to follow suit.

#30 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:52

2 years don't think they can turn around their pace in such a short time.....it would good if they atleast supplied engines to williams after 2010.

#31 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:35

I fear Toyora and Renault could drop out at the same time...

#32 Anders Torp

Anders Torp

• 591 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:54

Originally posted by AyePirate

Maybe, but it could work the other way, making it easier for Honda to stay on.

#33 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 955 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:59

Originally posted by AyePirate

Honda will quit when they win, not when they lose. They're in it for a while, of course they are also in it to develop young engineers, so the engine freeze idea may not sit too well.

#34 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:53

Würth is a new a Toyota sponsor. The logo of the company will be seen on the car, clothing and trucks of the team from the 10th of January.

#35 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 13:13

Please please please let it force a change to the hideous livery they have chosen to use for the last hundred years without a break.

#36 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 13:41

No too likely, Würth has a red and white (and black) logo also...

http://www.wallak.at...nzen/wuerth.gif

#37 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 13:50

Shame. It was only thanks to Renault that they didn't get the 2007 fugly car of the year award for the fifth year running.

#38 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:35

The plain and simple truth with Toyota is they are in F1 not to race, but to sell. Which staggers me because Corolla's basically sell themselves and, lets be honest, who really even notices they are on the grid anyway?

Toyota need a complete overhaul before they even approach any form of success. So much money, very little racing nous. I can't see them remaining in F1 for long should they keep going down this path they are on. I'm banking on Williams easily eclipsing them this year and that would make me pretty happy, given they are a racing team......

As for their drivers, that's another issue. I don't rate either of them at all.

#39 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:40

Every manufacture is there to sell cars...BAR NONE, regardless of what Ferrari and their rabid fans choose to say/believe.

Advertisement

#40 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:51

Originally posted by Lazarus II
Every manufacture is there to sell cars...BAR NONE, regardless of what Ferrari and their rabid fans choose to say/believe.

Most likely correct but Toyota barely even resemble an F1 racing team at the best of times, compared to the others. Nor do I think they need F1 at all to sell cars the way they do.

#41 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,823 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:05

Originally posted by Lazarus II

Few can afford a Ferrari. They're trying to sell clothing, computers, sunglasses...merch

#42 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 14:58

With Toyota set to launch their 2008 car on January 10th. What are we to expect from them this season? They a new driver in Timo Glock that will partner seasoned veteran Jarno Trulli and the added pressure to finally break their duck with that first GP win.

Can they turn things around or will they be fighting it out with potential backmarkers in 08??

The launch can be followed live here: Totota F1

#43 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 15:00

I guess the key questions are:
Will they succeed?
and
Will anyone care?

#44 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 15:09

Here is the exclusive first look at the finished TF108.

http://s256.photobuc...B50V9XDKW-4.jpg

#45 Jarulas

Jarulas

• 30 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 15:14

Originally posted by Josta

LOL It`s TF107.

#46 ATM_Andy

ATM_Andy

• 1,482 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 15:15

That's the TF107, or are you hinting that the design will not change?

#47 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 15:16

Originally posted by Jarulas

LOL It`s TF107.

No it's not. The TF107 had the fly kingfisher logo. :)

#48 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 15:19

http://forums.autosp...ht=Toyota TF108

#49 Jarulas

Jarulas

• 30 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 15:20

No it's not. The TF107 had the fly kingfisher logo. :)

Heh, u should have used photoshop instead of paintbrush to edit this photo.;)

#50 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 15:22

Originally posted by Jarulas

Heh, u should have used photoshop instead of paintbrush to edit this photo.;)

The humour is in the crudity. The Toyota livery designers obviously use paintbrush, so I just kept with their design. :)

The fact that I had to point out the big red splodge before anyone noticed just goes to prove the point.