Photo

Deutschlandring revisited

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 12:03

Following on Brun's original Deutschlandring thread now archived, I want to reopen the discussion using the folder that Reinhard Windeler - thanks Reinhard! :up: - sent me to scan and publish on 8W. This is a folder created by the Stadtmuseum Stolpen on their nearby motorsport heritage site.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6

Any comments?

Or preferably, any volunteers for a brief historic article on the track that was to blow away the Nürburgring?;)

Advertisement

#2 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 12:34

Many thanks for this interesting link!

Of course I am very much interested in the 1951 race mentioned in the text. Was it for motorbikes only or were there also cars? Any further information about that available?

#3 Brun

Brun

• 511 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 18:31

Originally posted by uechtel
Many thanks for this interesting link!

Of course I am very much interested in the 1951 race mentioned in the text. Was it for motorbikes only or were there also cars? Any further information about that available?

Mattijs, I've long since promised an article on the Grossdeutschlandring, after visiting the track. I'll keep up my promise and I'll try to find the time very soon :blush:

#4 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 18:36

Originally posted by Brun

Mattijs, I've long since promised an article on the Grossdeutschlandring, after visiting the track. I'll keep up my promise and I'll try to find the time very soon :blush:

This sounds great Brun. I'm interested in the whole story. :eek:

BTW: Mathijs, I'll find my time also very soon...... :blush:

#5 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 18:58

Originally posted by Racer.Demon
Or preferably, any volunteers for a brief historic article on the track that was to blow away the Nürburgring?;)

So that's that part of the thread taken care of! :lol: :up:

Now, anyone wanting to comment on the track itself?

#6 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 19:15

Racer

I think there will be no chance "to blow away the Nürburgring". And I think that was also impossible in 1940. Ask Brun about this impressing race track!;)

#7 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 19:24

Now where's that irony smiley when you need it? ;)

But then, that's how it was announced late 1939 in The Autocar: "Work is proceeding apace with the new German circuit near Dresden which is to replace the Nurburg Ring (sic)." (http://8w.forix.com/...schlandring.jpg)

#8 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 19:59

I tried to post in Bruns old thread:Deutschlandring thread, but it seems to be imposssible after some chnages here with the archive.

Anyway. Do we have some more pictures about the track, than those on the "Deutschland Ring" Website? About the Grandstand or the "very elaborate pits of the most luxurios type". This would be interesting to compare some details with other famous tracks.

#9 Brun

Brun

• 511 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 16:08

Originally posted by Holger Merten
I tried to post in Bruns old thread:Deutschlandring thread, but it seems to be imposssible after some chnages here with the archive.

Anyway. Do we have some more pictures about the track, than those on the "Deutschland Ring" Website? About the Grandstand or the "very elaborate pits of the most luxurios type". This would be interesting to compare some details with other famous tracks.

Grandstand, pits, even the finish line were never completed. Just the track, which was a major undertaking. Took 'em 6 years to build it and they had to blast away thousands of tons of rock to do so. So it was a very serious project from the beginning. The track itself seems to be laid out as a 'Best Of the Nürburgring'. It's shorter (10 km), but also has a very twisty, mountainous segment and even a Karussel-like hairpin. Apparently it saw some motor cycle racing after the war and has gained a Nürburgring-like fame in bikers trying to set fastest lap and crashing before doing so. With one little difference: the Grossdeutschlandring is a public road... there are several speedcameras near the track today.

A visit to this area is long overdue, my girlfriend and I have already made plans to go to the area, mainly because of the stunning natural park there. Of course, we'll also spend a couple of hours driving the ring and taking pictures ;)

#10 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 18:39

Serios? It took two years to built the ring! :cool:

So it was a very serious project from the beginning.

But the Nazis had some serios projects: Proda on Rügen, das Tausendjährige Reich, die Herrenrasse, and so on.

I could better live with the ring at Nürburg, than the other serios one in Saxoonia. :(

Did somebody ever read "Vaterland"? Okay....you understood. :(

#11 Reinhard Windeler

Reinhard Windeler

• 49 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 12:19

thanks Reinhard

Mattijs - you're welcome! Folder has returned safely.

Can you blow up the circuit map on page 4 of the folder and post it here directly/without a link?

The map is slightly more detailed than - for example - the one in Nixon's "Racing the Silver Arrows" (p. 173). IMHO it should be made as easily accessible as is possible.

BTW: The date given on page 6 of the folder ("27. April 1940") almost certainly is wrong. The circuit had been inaugurated the year before.

Now I'm anxious to see the pics from Brun's visit to the site of this potentially great, but still-born circuit (and of his girlfriend, too ;)) .

#12 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 18:47

Here you are...

Posted Image

#13 Reinhard Windeler

Reinhard Windeler

• 49 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 20:15

:up:

#14 Brun

Brun

• 511 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 21:30

Originally posted by Reinhard Windeler
Mattijs - you're welcome! Folder has returned safely.

Now I'm anxious to see the pics from Brun's visit to the site of this potentially great, but still-born circuit (and of his girlfriend, too ;)) .

I tried to convince her that she should lie down in a sexy pose on the hood of my Audi. Just for the picture, of course.

She wouldn't.

Then I told here that Elly Beinhorn-Rosemeyer used to do it.

She replied, "Elly WHO?"

Ah well, I gave up :-)

#15 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 21:17

*a big, big bump*

I assure you, this thread's title will truly come alive after you've read this:

http://8w.forix.com/...chlandring.html

Brun's finally done it! :clap:

#16 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 21:34

Am I the only one who clicked the link expecting/hoping for an attractive woman in sexy pose on hood of an Audi? :p

It's still an interesting and very worthwhile read though. Thanks.

Neil

#17 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 21:43

:confused:

#18 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:09

Very enjoyable - Brun!

Obviously, a lot of time and hard work went into your revealing story. Very well done. Best wishes and all...
Thanks to Racer.Demon to provide the turf.

I raise my hat. :clap:

#19 hueb_s

hueb_s

• 17 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:58

:) Hey, this is an old racing circuit?!?! I live about 20km away from this, and the "hillclimb" section always amazed me even with my road car! I've been driven up and down there for several times as it is in the middle of the way to where my parents live. Man this is very fascinating racing history... I'm really blazed away!

Advertisement

#20 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 20:10

Thoroughly enjoyed the article. Thanks Brun ( & Mattijs )