Photo

Group C/IMSA GTP monocoque design

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 autohausdolby

autohausdolby

• 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 18:56

I'm currently doing some research into monocoque construction, and I'm especially interested in the design of the Group C/IMSA GTP prototype era chassis. I've got a bunch of photos of Porsche 956/962 without the nose bodywork on, and I've read pretty much every word of Mulsanne's Corner, so what I'm really after are good quality photos of bare or near bare monocoques, or even better would be proper drawings of them.

Any contributions are much appreciated :)

Advertisement

#2 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 22:01

Originally posted by autohausdolby
I'm currently doing some research into monocoque construction, and I'm especially interested in the design of the Group C/IMSA GTP prototype era chassis. I've got a bunch of photos of Porsche 956/962 without the nose bodywork on, and I've read pretty much every word of Mulsanne's Corner, so what I'm really after are good quality photos of bare or near bare monocoques, or even better would be proper drawings of them.

Any contributions are much appreciated :)

Migh be a silly idea, but Tamyia/Revell models can give you some rough information on that.

#3 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 00:10

You can contact Dave Klym at Fabcar in Indianapolis. He built enough of them. Nice guy too, I think he would help.

#4 charlie64uk

charlie64uk

• 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:14

Hi,

I am also interested in Porsche 962 Monocoque details,especially as i am looking to produce a CAD model and a simulation model.
I worked on the 956s and 962s at Fitzpatrick,Dauer and Joest Racing but unfortunately i only have photos from those good old days.
Let me know if you get any infos,maybe i could help with a few photos.

regards

Karl

KJRACING99@aol.com

#5 scooperman

scooperman

• 84 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 13:14

I have no Porsche links to suggest, but if you were interested in details of the Gp C-2 Spice cars, there was a softcover book produced by Pontiac Motorsports and Pro-Motion which had lots of construction and setup info. "Pontiac Fiero GTP Performance Handbook", subtitles "construction details", "repair procedures", "service and maintenance", "chassis setup". Researched and written by John Baechtel and John Callies, 1987, 96 pages.

#6 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:12

check out the nostalgia thread on photos from the workshop. it has some good shots of sports cars and som info on how some were built too

#7 MODE

MODE

• 306 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 19:41

I made a page on this project some months ago, to recreate a Porsche 962. A company named GTPROTOTYPES was building a tub and parts from the original drawings but I see that their website redirects now to Slack Motorsport :

http://www.gurneyfla...totypes962.html

#8 charlie64uk

charlie64uk

• 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:37

I contacted Slack Motorsport but understandably they did not want to release the XYZ coords for their tub.
Hopefully i will be able to get hold of some details on the monocoque soon.

#9 charlie64uk

charlie64uk

• 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:34

http://C:Transferjan_1987.jpg

Having trouble posting a picture.Need help.

#10 imaginesix

imaginesix

• 7,525 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:55

You can only post pictures that are on the internet. If you have a picture on your computer that you want to share you need to upload it to a site like http://photobucket.com or http://www.imageshack.us first.

Once your picture is uploaded somewhere you can link to the picture's URL in your post here. The site you use will provide the URL for you.

#11 charlie64uk

charlie64uk

• 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 00:02

Posted Image

This photo dates back to Jan 1987.Thats me with 962-112 before the roof section was fitted.

#12 Dom9

Dom9

• 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:05

I am also very interested in this subject as I am looking to build my own Group C-style replica...

My thread about building a Group C replica

If you find any information, I too would be very interested! However I am not likely to go down the monocoque route, but I would use the same layout, but with a steel spaceframe as the main chassis structure - Mainly for cost and ease of construction.

I really would like ot get my hands on the CAD files for some bodywork, but it is proving to be quite hard.

Thanks,

Dom

#13 autohausdolby

autohausdolby

• 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 20:05

That black and white photo is great, as are the CAD renderings on the GTprototypes website. I've e-mailed David Slack, and he sent me a great reply - IMHO something to be valued in the world of high end race cars ;) His bodywork sounds like really good vakue if you factor in how much you would spend knocking up a set yourself. Top bloke :)

#14 zywiec

zywiec

• 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:16

Fantastic photo! First I have ever seen. I have always had an obsession with group C and the 956/962 in particular. I have various print resources in my collection but nothing specific to monocoque construction. In looking at this photo, I always thought it extended to the engine mount/rear suspension? Best of luck with your research.

#15 charlie64uk

charlie64uk

• 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 23:57

The following picture is of 962 -112,which was a brand new chassis after the crash at the Silverstone 1000km.
It is being built up for the 1985 Le Mans 24 Hrs,where it will be subsequently destroyed during practice by Dudley Wood. The chassis was then rebuilt by Bob Sparshott engineering,as seen in the B/W photo above.
In 1986 the chassis was heavily damaged in the Jerez 360km and was again rebuilt.
The car was sold alongside 956-114 to Jochen Dauer at the start of 1987 and went on to contest races in the German Interserie,Super Cup and 1000km Nürburgring.

Posted Image

#16 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 00:19

I seem to recall that back in the group C days there was a feeling among some teams that the 956/962 chassis was not the strongest in the world and one or two teams built replacement chassis' with better cockpit strength.

It might have been David Lloyd racing but I am not sure.

#17 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 16:17

Oh hell yes, monocoques were constructed all over. Dave Klym built a few dozen tubs in both factory spec and improved, including some for the factory Group C cars and some for Al Holbert. Jim Chapman built at least a couple for Jim Busby. Kremer and John Thompson/Brun probably did eight to a dozen each. Vern Shuppan built some, and of course Lloyd as you mentioned. There were lots of replacement/redesigned tubs around, often in honeycomb, which the original was not. I am not a serial number wonk but I would bet at least 50.

#18 ey3

ey3

• 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 15:20

Have a look at the following website: www.ey3ltd.co.uk for pictures and info of Porsche 962 parts

#19 charlie64uk

charlie64uk

• 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 20:30

Nice site there Ey3.
That´s a Thompson monocoque in the black and white picture i posted.