Photo

Oulton Park Gold Cup

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#1 Brynmor

Brynmor

• 101 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:11

Just musing whilst having my lunch about this years event that's around 8 weeks away.

Does anybody else feel it needs pepping up a touch as 2003/2004 really felt special but the last two years have just felt a little downbeat? perhaps it's me as there are the club stands/ Group B displays but can't help but feel it's lost something of it's special attraction??
Any thoughts on an attraction that would spice things up?

I also wonder if the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power may take something away?

Anyway when all is said and done i'll be there this year on the Mini Cooper stand!! :wave:

Advertisement

#2 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 14:53

Originally posted by Brynmor
Anyway when all is said and done i'll be there this year on the Mini Cooper stand!! :wave:

Should be there on the Liverpool Motor Club stand!

This will be my first visit to the revitalised Gold Cup - my last visit was in 1988! :eek:

#3 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 15:01

I'll try and encourage our Historic FF2000 racers to put on a good show!...

#4 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 15:13

I'm flying back from Valencia to Liverpool very early on Monday morning, with the express intention of taking in the second day of the meeting.

#5 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 15:24

I thought the 2005, the Chevron meeting, was excellent but as you say the past two years could be viewed as just another HSCC meeting. Enjoyable but not 'special'.

Having said that I'll be there all three days, for my annual pilgrimage.. more about Oulton than the entry ;)

Rob
P.S. And of course to meet up with BB & Roger again :up:

#6 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 16:02

If Mr Arron can make it from Valencia I should make the effort to find my way from Altrincham....as long as my 1985 MCD Press Pass will still let me gain access to the circuit and trackside ;)

Kind regards

Phil

#7 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 16:36

Originally posted by Phil Rainford
If Mr Arron can make it from Valencia I should make the effort to find my way from Altrincham....as long as my 1985 MCD Press Pass will still let me gain access to the circuit and trackside ;)

Kind regards

Phil

A press pass at Oulton of that era certainly puts one in the same place as my late father - George Turnbull, of the telegraph.......would you have known him at all?

#8 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 17:55

I'm cutting short my holiday in Italy to attend this year.

#9 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 18:11

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
I'm cutting short my holiday in Italy to attend this year.

Dan has neglected to mention that he is actually sponsoring one of the races!

#10 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 21:22

Originally posted by Lifew12
A press pass at Oulton of that era certainly puts one in the same place as my late father - George Turnbull, of the telegraph.......would you have known him at all?

LifeW12

My father - Mike Arron, a photographer (now retired) - knew George very well. They both worked on the DT (as I now do, on a freelance basis).

I made his acquaintance when he was working with John Brown in the Donington Park press office. At the end of international events, he'd wander up and down the aisles pouring decent quantities of Scotch into plastic tumblers for anybody who fancied a nip. A sound fellow, I always thought, and I thoroughly enjoyed his company.

Cheers,
Simon

#11 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:31

Originally posted by Simon Arron

LifeW12

My father - Mike Arron, a photographer (now retired) - knew George very well. They both worked on the DT (as I now do, on a freelance basis).

I made his acquaintance when he was working with John Brown in the Donington Park press office. At the end of international events, he'd wander up and down the aisles pouring decent quantities of Scotch into plastic tumblers for anybody who fancied a nip. A sound fellow, I always thought, and I thoroughly enjoyed his company.

Cheers,
Simon

That's my father! The scotch gives it away....Always good to hear from people who knew him; thanks.

#12 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:59

Originally posted by Cirrus

Dan has neglected to mention that he is actually sponsoring one of the races!

Thats correct Alan, and looking forward to it immensely. Another one of life's little goals achieved!!

#13 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 15:25

Thats correct Alan, and looking forward to it immensely. Another one of life's little goals achieved!!

I'm intrigued - are you able to elaborate Dan...?

#14 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 19:22

Yes, go on, Dan. They can't touch you for it!

#15 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 19:46

Dan's philanthropic side...

#16 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:29

I have been asked by Phil Hosker (AuroraF1) to post the following request for assistance in connection with the forthcoming Gold Cup meeting. Phil is away from his PC this week and doesn't have access to his TNF login details. He would appreciate any help, or suggestions, that TNFers can come up with.

I have been tasked with organising the displays for this year's event.
So far I am working on getting Lolas for static and track displays, does anyone know anyone who can bring anything along?
I have contacted Mike Newton and it is looking promnising that he will supply a couple of Le Mans cars.

I have contacted Frank Lyons with a view to him running Tony Trimmer in the Derek Bell race to commemorate the 30th anniversary of his first Gold Cup win.

A display of classic trials bikes is a possibility for the 4x4 course.

I am open to any suggestions as to what people want to see, so please let me know what you think.

An ideal opportunity for input I would venture to suggest.

#17 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:38

Originally posted by Roger Clark
Dan's philanthropic side...

Doesn't come out very often Roger, as you may imagine!

I offered via my small Co., to pay for trophies for the HFF2000 race, given my liking for these cars and the era as a whole, and friendship with Alan & Iain of the Association. Not much ÂŁÂŁ at all, just a small gesture.

My wife will present the Trophies in the manner of the late/great Edwina Overend at Mallory all those years ago (I haven't told her yet tho'!)..

#18 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:35

Doesn't come out very often Roger, as you may imagine!

I offered via my small Co., to pay for trophies for the HFF2000 race, given my liking for these cars and the era as a whole, and friendship with Alan & Iain of the Association. Not much ÂŁÂŁ at all, just a small gesture.

My wife will present the Trophies in the manner of the late/great Edwina Overend at Mallory all those years ago (I haven't told her yet tho'!)..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ITVY2DDPts

Look like the race could be action packed!!

Kind regards

Phil

#19 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:06

That was URS FF2000 (for slightly later cars than ours)

That's not to say that Historic FF2000 at Oulton will be tame, though!

Advertisement

#20 Brynmor

Brynmor

• 101 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:10

Just been told no Slowly Sideways displays this year, even though it's still advertised....

#21 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 20:11

I'm thinking of going on the Monday, although the Oulton website is suggesting there might be a Lyons 1 2 3 in the F5000 race. Are there only 3 entries?

#22 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 21:23

Only Monday? Shame; we'll miss eachother. I think I'm only doing Sunday.

#23 CoulthardD

CoulthardD

• 210 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:29

I'm attending on Sunday only, too. Look out for the black MG ZR in the MG Car Club area trying to look inconpicuous amongst the T-Types, Midgets, BGTs, etc.

David Coulthard
(New TNF badge holder no. 177 :) )

#24 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 18:36

Originally posted by CoulthardD
I'm attending on Sunday only, too. Look out for the black MG ZR in the MG Car Club area trying to look inconpicuous amongst the T-Types, Midgets, BGTs, etc.

David Coulthard
(New TNF badge holder no. 177 :) )

MG ZR... I can't quite recall which rebadged Rover this is, but since I am often in the Twynholm area, I will look out for it there. ;)

#25 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 19:42

I'm towing an FF2000 Delta up on Friday evening behind a wheezing motorhome, so I'll be there for the duration. We're having a BBQ on Sunday evening for those Historic FF2000 drivers who are camping, so any TNFers in the area are welcome to come and enjoy a beer and some seriously charred meat (just let me know by posting here, so I can adjust the shopping list appropriately).

#26 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 21:01

I would join you for a veggie burger, but...

I'm about to turn in for a couple of hours before driving from Kent to Liverpool, in order to catch an early morning flight to Valencia (yes, I know there are airports near London, but bear with me). After the grand prix, I'm due back in Liverpool at 9.30am on Monday... and that was the only way I had half a chance of getting anywhere near Oulton Park.

Though this be madness, yet there is method in't...

#27 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 21:15

Have you never considered Travel writing as an additional er, job, Simon ?  ;)

#28 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:28

Originally posted by Simon Arron
I would join you for a veggie burger, but...

I'm about to turn in for a couple of hours before driving from Kent to Liverpool, in order to catch an early morning flight to Valencia (yes, I know there are airports near London, but bear with me). After the grand prix, I'm due back in Liverpool at 9.30am on Monday... and that was the only way I had half a chance of getting anywhere near Oulton Park.

Though this be madness, yet there is method in't...

Mr Arron is also picking up both myself and Mr Cox on his way from Valencia to Oulton :)

Kind regards

Phil

#29 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:37

Don't forget your rain gear... :(

Rob

#30 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 14:06

This will wet the appetite....

http://www.youtube.c...fCdxmioAk0&NR=1

...must say the Brabham sounds fantastic :)

Kind regards

Phil

#31 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 18:51

I'm towing an FF2000 Delta up on Friday evening behind a wheezing motorhome, so I'll be there for the duration. We're having a BBQ on Sunday evening for those Historic FF2000 drivers who are camping, so any TNFers in the area are welcome to come and enjoy a beer and some seriously charred meat (just let me know by posting here, so I can adjust the shopping list appropriately).

Barry Boor, David Beard and I will be delighted to take you up on this generous offer.

#32 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:22

OK I should think we'll be kicking off soon after seven. We won't have the truck there, just a blue VW van, and the aforementioned motorhome (which despite appearances, recently completed a towing trip to Nurburgring and back).

The cars are blue Delta (No 14) and Ford Galaxie.

Edit - It looks as though we're not taking the Galaxie after all

#33 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:15

Originally posted by Rob Ryder
Don't forget your rain gear... :(

Rob

BBC now claiming it will be dry with sunny for both days (21c) :up:

Kind regards

Phil

#34 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:25

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Barry Boor, David Beard and I will be delighted to take you up on this generous offer.

Yes, I earlier said I would be there only on Monday, but changed my mind. Looking forward to the Delta BBQ :)

#35 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:41

EXCELLENT!

#36 Bruce Fullerton

Bruce Fullerton

• 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:29

If anyone wants to drop in and say hello you will be more than welcome (tea/alcohol available!) It would be great to meet with any TNF members face to face. I am in the DBT garages, yellow Lola T300 No 51.

#37 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:08

We're set up by the scrutineering bay :)

#38 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:23

Thanks for the generous invite Cirrus - and Bruce too :up:

I'll try and get over although am on duty in the Hostility Suites, so please don't laugh at my MSV uniform.

There is a quiz going on at Chequers after the jazz band, with a bit of a motorsport/motoring bent. It's been put together by a couple of dodgy quiz compilers and will be presented by an even dodgier quiz master.

No doubt the lure of charred burgers, alcohol, a balmy August evening : and the bonhomie of HFF2000 and TNF individuals will be stiff competition, but please join TNF's Aurora F1 Phil and me if anybody fancies testing their grey cells. I understand it won't start until around 9pm, and the main objective is to have a bit of fun.

Rob :wave:
PS Brynmor - I'll have your Pageant of Power programme with me - we can save the postage by doing a personal handover!

#39 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 15:11

A few photos from today's Historic F3 practice. featuring none other than TNF's zoff2005:

Posted Image Posted Image

Advertisement

#40 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 17:38

Dear Lifew12,

I worked on this project ,may I suggest you changed your "handle" because apart from the wonderful meals around Regio Emilia, Life it was not! I wonder what became of E.Vita esq?

#41 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:26

??? :confused:

#42 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:45

A few images from the Gold Cup meeting - Sunday.

There was a hot time in the old town on Sunday!
Posted Image

David and Roger examining one of the more 'unusual' vehicles to be seen...
Posted Image

Don't you just lurve old Italian Formula Juniors?
Posted Image

Many more to follow.....

#43 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:06

Sadly, my track shots will not be a match for those of my friends Messrs Cox, Clark and Boor, all armed with digi SLRs. So I offer my favourite static shot...

Posted Image

#44 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:30

...and where is the MELON photo????

#45 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:52

Originally posted by Barry Boor
...and where is the MELON photo????

Perhaps I should explain. Barry insisted that I was photographing a young lady with something about melons written across the relevant area of her T shirt, whereas in fact I was taking more shots of the wonderful Indy Lola.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I accosted Whizzo after snapping him. He didn’t know me from Adam, but willingly engaged in a lovely chat about what he would be driving at the Revival. He was especially forthcoming about the handling characteristics of the Ferguson. Top Bloke.

#46 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:59

Someone on TNF recently commented that the Terrier FJ was an ugly car...but I rather like it from all angles.

Posted Image

#47 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 19:08

Have just returned from Monday at the Gold Cup, having met up with more TNFers today - Simon Arron, hotfoot from Valencia, Phil Rainford, Cirrus and race sponsor Mallory Dan. Cracking Formula Ford race with Simon Hadfield pipping Michael Lyons and an entertaining Historic Saloons encounter with fantastically varied field ranging from Ford Falcon and Mustang through Lotus Cortinas, Imps, Minis and Alfas to Ford Anglia 100E, Triumph 2000, A40 and the legendary Arthur Smith-Fitchett's Sumbeam Rapier.

And I concur fully with David's assessment of this man, "Top bloke". Sadly he was only given one lap in the ex-Stewart Indy Lola T90 in the demonstration, and I think you can see from David's photo that it is running on undersized rears.
Posted Image

Ian Titchmarsh reminds Jackie Oliver that 40 years and 1 week ago he finished third in the Gold Cup with the Gold Leaf Lotus 49B, and "The right crowd and no crowding" - TNF Sunday gathering, Messrs Boor, Ryder, Beard and Clark - and not a melon to be seen.

#48 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 19:44

Originally posted by David Beard
Posted Image

Lovely photograph, David and certainly better than the er, worms (?) one earlier!!

Weather looks good - maybe next year then...

One day, anyway.

#49 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 19:56

...and where is the MELON photo???? :D

#50 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:45

Throughly enjoyable day, with as Alan mentioned a number of cracking races ( The FF1600 race was the highlight closely followed by the FF2000 encounter sponsored for the day by Mallory Dan )

It was a pleasure to meet Cirrus, while I look forward to the images of Mr Cox and Arron who both spent much of the day watching the racing through the viewfinders of their new digital SLRs. I have already seen some of the fruits of their labour and we are in for a treat.

Sorry for the big "build up" you two ;)

Kind regards

Phil