Photo

Ghosts of motorsports

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Sauerwein

Eric Sauerwein

• 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2000 - 01:19

Does anyone know about hauntings and/or sights of ghosts in motorsports? Are there any famous ones ? Thanx.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,268 posts

Posted 03 November 2000 - 14:15

Now, Barry might correct me on this, but let's start at the beginning...
A man named Fisher went missing at Campbelltown some time in the 19th century... Campbelltown is about 70km SW of Sydney.. now an outer suburb.
Some time later his ghost was reputedly seen hovering over the creek, someone dug and turned up his body, so they then knew he was dead and so pursued the killer.
The creek is called Fisher's Ghost Creek, and during the sixties there was a car club in the area called the Fisher's Ghost Car Club, and there was, I'm quite sure, an annual major event (State Championship level?) called the Fisher's Ghost Rally...

#3 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 03 November 2000 - 14:52

Originally posted by Eric Sauerwein
Does anyone know about .....sights of ghosts in motorsports? Are there any famous ones ?

You mean people like Nigel Mansell?

:lol:

Felix

#4 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 04 November 2000 - 15:55

Some time during 1997, his last year of racing, Kevin Waldock met a ghost. A female ghost, who's name I can't recall. They apparently conversed, and Waldock was so impressed he installed a second racing seat in his EF Falcon Touring Car so as the ghost could ride with Kevin during the race. What Waldock co-driver John Smith thought of this is not recorded, nor is whether Kevin's female friend turned up during the race.

yours
Mark Jones

#5 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 04 November 2000 - 22:53

I remember something on the TV series "Fact or Fiction" about an American Racing Driver who saw a ghost racing driver swerving in front of him when he was testing a NASCAR. Apparently there was some problem on this guys car and his radio was broken so his pitcrew could'nt contact him or some bullshit like that. The ghost car made him stop and avoid an accident so the guy lived happily ever after....supposely the story was fact......

#6 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 21:39

There have been a few moons passed sense this topic was visited.

Today, on my visit to the Augusta International Raceway, the park custodian mentioned the sighting (again) of a figure that appeared to be walking on a cloud in the area known as "cemetery turn" (turn one). The last time this occurred (during the summer of 2005) the figure was believed to be a female which would lead me to believe this is the individual that died in a failed parachute jump at the track in the early '60's.

Any update at other venues of racing from the TNF members?

Henry

#7 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 21:52

Brooklands has/had one, correct? Think I remember reading that in Bill Bobby's big book.

#8 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 22:58

Originally posted by Antoine Pilette
Brooklands has/had one, correct? Think I remember reading that in Bill Bobby's big book.

Antoine, glad to hear from you again! :clap: Remember "Cemetery Turn" (40 degree banking) where pit exit dumped into the traffic from the front "straight"? :cool:

Henry

#9 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:23

Bobby Issac (part Indian) retired from Winston Cup competition during the middle of a race at Talladega (supposedly built on sacred Indian grounds), claiming "voices" told him to quit right then and there. When he did resume his career in the late model ranks, he succumbed to a heart attack mid-race soon thereafter.

#10 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 13:40

Originally posted by theunions
Bobby Issac (part Indian) retired from Winston Cup competition during the middle of a race at Talladega (supposedly built on sacred Indian grounds), claiming "voices" told him to quit right then and there. When he did resume his career in the late model ranks, he succumbed to a heart attack mid-race soon thereafter.

Also, Roy Tyner (full blooded Indian) and his misadventures at the track:

http://www.legendsof...m/Roy_Tyner.htm

Henry

#11 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 19:25

Originally posted by Antoine Pilette

He's supposed to be Percy Lambert

#12 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 19:33

I see this is an old thread but note that nothing has been said about the Grey Lady that haunted Edington Mains, Jim Clark's farm.
When Jim was about 8 years of age he woke up one night and saw this old lady in grey standing at the bottom of his bed. He was later told that something odd had happened in the house many years before and that a lady in grey was supposed to have haunted it.
Switch now to early 1964 : Jim and I are working on his autobiography. As he was very busy at that time he would telephone and suggest I come down for a weekend to get on with it. Thus he telephoned and said to come down the following weekend. I told him I had had lunch with Jackie Stewart the day before - this was when Stewart had just started with Ecurie Ecosse - and Jackie had asked if he could come down so Jim, as usual, said yes. When we arrived in my Mini Jim was there along with Paddy Hopkirk, another house guest, at the height of his fame after winning the Monte Carlo Rally. He was introduced to this new Scotsman, Jackie, and we had dinner. Over dinner Jim whispered to me that he hd put Paddy into the Grey Lady room and we would quiz him in the morning. Needless to say Paddy had a few that night and went to bed. The next morning Jim and I were keen to know how he slept.
" Like a log" said Paddy. So our ruse failed but Jim told me that he had put Colin and Hazel Chapman into that room once and Hazel swore that she had also seen the Grey Lady.

#13 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 19:38

Originally posted by Vitesse2

He's supposed to be Percy Lambert

Thank you!

#14 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 00:47

In 1993, the Auto Club of Bolivar, a city 200 miles far from Buenos Aires, invested 3 hundred thousand US$ to pave two miles of gravel roads to build a semi-permanent circuit to host Turismo Carretera series races.

But the gossip was the the road was built upon an old indian cemetery, from the years of the war between the naturals and the army, in the XIX century. There were rumours of a curse, because the racing cars were to altered their eternal rest. Bullshit?

The first race was scheduled in April 1993. Rain and fog went to cancellation.

Then, it was planned to be held three weeks later. After several hours of light rain and heavy fog, the race was again postponed.

They managed to race on August 11th, 1993, with a thick fog but no rain (I was there covering the race for a sports magazine).

The plot went to a second race on October 17th, but the rain started to fall at 11pm on Saturday and never ceased. The race was suspended at the dawn (I was on the trip to Bolivar at that moment...).

So, the new date was for November 14th. Guess what? On Friday the storm started, and the marshalls decided to gave up on Saturday. There was a shiny sun over the circuit on Sunday, but the race wasn’t held. Again

Sunday, November 21th, at midnight. The night sky over Bolivar was a beautiful one, plenty of stars. So, there will be a race tomorrow, they thought.

They were wrong for the fifth time in the year. At 3am, the sky went cloudy and then it opened for the rain.

All because of the indian’s curse.

You know what? Because of those postponements, the 1993 TC series were decided on the last three weekends of the years, with three races in sucession. (And a friend of mine was the champion!)

#15 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:47

I haven't heard of many stories about Racing ghosts here in Australia. But many years ago when I was visiting France I went to see Le Mans. No racing was going on but when speaking to a local he told me that moans and crying are heard from where the 1955 crash was.

I'm afraid that I don't believe a word of it.

#16 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:07

I remember something on the TV series "Fact or Fiction" about an American Racing Driver who saw a ghost racing driver swerving in front of him when he was testing a NASCAR. Apparently there was some problem on this guys car and his radio was broken so his pitcrew could'nt contact him or some bullshit like that. The ghost car made him stop and avoid an accident so the guy lived happily ever after....supposely the story was fact......

There appears to have been "some problem" not only on the guy's car, methinks... :rolleyes: