Posted 09 June 2001 - 19:46

The first foto's of Jan Flinterman - Dutch GP 1952

http://www.ten-tenth...?threadid=10715

Advertisement

#2 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 14:14

OK, so Flinterman was one of the two very first dutchmen to race in a Grand Prix. However he was more to be seen as a guest driver. In the war he had been a Spitfire pilot with quite some succes and he had survived!
In 1952 the IV Dutch Grand Prix was held, this time counting for the World Championship. Dutch organisers wanted to have some local drivers into the event to attract a crowd. Flinterman got a drive at Escuderia Bandeirantes in a Maserati A6 GCM. In the race he had to retire after 7 laps as due to differential problems.
Chico Landi was brought in (I read somewhere there was some financial agreement) and of went Flinterman again, this time in the Landi's A6 GCM, finishing in ninth position.

Now my question: what colors were those Maseratis in? I guess Landi drove in Brasils national colors, right? Then middle part of the car yellow, nose and tail green?? What kind of green, just like the national flag?
Did Flintermans original car carry the same colors? Or Maserati red?? Any help/indication appreciated. I have only seen those two B&W pics

Posted Image
Copyright Autosport Magazine 1952 (thnx Roger!)

Posted Image
Copyright De Telegraaf 1952

#3 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 16:41

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos
Now my question: what colors were those Maseratis in? I guess Landi drove in Brasils national colors, right? Then middle part of the car yellow, nose and tail green?? What kind of green, just like the national flag?
Did Flintermans original car carry the same colors? Or Maserati red?? Any help/indication appreciated. I have only seen those two B&W pics

I was always under the impression that the Bandeirantes cars were painted a sort of cream/beige/pale yellow color without any other colors, and the few pictures I had seen seem to back that up. However, the nose of Flinterman's car is very different from what I had seen before. Perhaps it the darker color might be Dutch racing orange? It looks too light to be a red or a medium or dark green, especially with the black numbers on it.

#4 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 21:11

I just stumbled accross this website and thought it might be of some interest:

http://www.geocities...flinterman.html

and

#5 biz5300

biz5300

• 46 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:58

hi there.. This is an oldish thread but I dont think I have seen an answer yet to the question of Argentina's racing colours?...

it has to do with ( forget who) the first boat that entered the BA harbour.. the colour of that ships flag would be Argentinas colours... The ship was swedish.. yellow and blue... Therefore the race colours BUT also the football team Boca Juniors colours

#6 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,013 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:25

I presume the Argentinean colours were taken from Boca's rather than the other way around, if there is a link. Boca originally wore black and white stripes, but after losing to another team with the same kit were forced as a penalty to change their colours. So the players traipsed down to the harbour. The ship was the Drottning Sophia, which arrived in Buenos Aires on 23 March 1907.

#7 EvDelft

EvDelft

• 120 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:39

Being a Dutchman, I suppose the nose of Flintermans Maserati was mid-orange ;) After all, the Dutch Racing Color is mid-orange (or a little darker, see the Porsche of Godin de Beaufort).

#8 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:15

Originally posted by EvDelft
Being a Dutchman, I suppose the nose of Flintermans Maserati was mid-orange ;) After all, the Dutch Racing Color is mid-orange (or a little darker, see the Porsche of Godin de Beaufort).

Not so fast Erwin! The reason why Flinterman and Van der Lof both raced in the GP was a request by the organisers. They arranged two rent-a-drives for the two dutchmen. Flinterman got a car from the team.

A friend of mine even contacted Flinterman's widow. She confirmed the car was somewhat pale yellow, nose green. Also note that Flinterman swapped cars in the race (usual in those days). I presume as he was a paying racer he was helped into Chico Landi's car (#16) after having differential problems with #20 only on lap 7.

#9 EvDelft

EvDelft

• 120 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:21

Ah, that's a clear story. Didn't know that. I don't know if Scuderia Bandeirantes would have repainted the nose for a pay-driver, just supposed they would. So I was right thinking that the Maserati's of SB were somewhate whitish with green...;)

#10 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:24

Originally posted by Rob Semmeling
I just stumbled accross this website and thought it might be of some interest:

One picture on this site shows Gino Bianco in the Maserati of Escuderia Bandeirantes at the British GP, unfortunately not Flinterman.