Photo

Angoulême

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 22 December 2001 - 21:04

The shortest track in my old Autosport Directory 1955 is a track I knew little or nothing about - until 8 pm this evening. I mean, I could see it was 'tight and twisty' but this place brings new meaning to the phrase.

The Historic Festival at AngoulĂªme has just been the subject of a 3/4 hour feature on World Motor Sports - Sky Digital T.V, here in the U.K.

As my map shows it is one hell of a track. Only 8 tenths of a mile round with 3 acute hairpins! But what I did not expect was the up and down nature of the place. We actually had nearly 2 full 'in car' laps in a Talbot Sunbeam rally car and to call it tight would be like saying that Fangio was quite a good driver.

What a wonderful place! And not surprising that the lap record listed in my book, to the credit of Louis Chiron, is less than 45 mph . How they ever wound F1 cars around there I'll never know. It makes Monaco look like the wide open praries.

So, British Forum members, eat your hearts out if you missed it! Or check your listings, it's bound to be on again.

Advertisement

#2 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 22 December 2001 - 21:16

Actually only about 19mins,Barry,the rest being devoted to an associated road rally and the ad breaks! Great stuff anyway.Pity it was on the same weekend,as the Goodwood revival meet. This event get very little publicity,in the UK anyway,apparently its been an annual event since the 70s,but I have only seen it reported a couple of times. If I can find next years date in time I would like to be there!

#3 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 22 December 2001 - 21:56

http://enformer4.usp...t2.cfm?venue=ss

The Stowe infield circuit. Hairpin, Sweeper, Chicane, Sweeper

I tested a works Mygale there in 99, in the damp on dry tires I was hitting 112mph in third before I was braking for the hairpin. With 12 other cars on track.

Whats even crazier, Darren Manning shook down an F3000 car there a few weeks later!

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 23 December 2001 - 07:56

Certainly similar in length, Ross, but to get a true comparison you would have to build houses right on the edge of the track and stone walls on the other side; (with the occasional bit of three-layer armco.

#5 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 23 December 2001 - 07:56

I saw it & taped it too. Bluddy fantastic place!! And the BIG bonus for me was that straight afterwards they showed ALL 8 laps of the Histoirc FFord race from the Silverstone Festival as well!!

#6 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 23 December 2001 - 08:03

Guess what! After the Angouleme (can't be bothered to go into the character file to get an 'e' with a 'to bach' on top) feature, I switched off the telly and switched on my computer! :cry:

#7 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,759 posts

Posted 23 December 2001 - 18:48

This place?

Posted Image

#8 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 23 December 2001 - 18:56

Yes, that's the one.

Unless I am very much mistaken, this image of the track is from Darren Galpin's site. Guess where he got the image from.......

#9 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:39

I have resurrected this thread because I have noticed an anomaly regarding a race result from this remarkable place.

According to the F.2 race result website http://www.formula2.net/F251_12.htm the 1951 race was won by Rudi Fischer in his Ferrari in a time of 1 hour 28 minutes and 11 seconds for an 80 lap race. The fastest lap is listed to Elie Bayol at 1. 08'1.

Now unless my calculator is playing up, I make that race time 5291 seconds, which, when divided by the 80 laps gives an average lap time of 66.1 seconds; or somewhat faster than the alledged fastest lap.

Do any of our French members have a different result - either Fischer's time or the fastest lap?

#10 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:46

The fastest lap 1.08.1 of Bayol was realized in the second heat. Fastest lap in final was 1.04.1 by Chiron with a HWM. By another source I also have Aunaud with 1.04.3. I'll complete my researches.

#11 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 16:04

Thank-you, Jean-Maurice. I guessed the final must have been quicker. Do you have a pole position time for either 1950 or 51?

I shall be slot-racing on the circuit soon...

Posted Image

#12 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 19:50

1950: pole-man Fangio Maserati on the right side middle Trintignant Simca Gordini left side Manzon Simca-Gordini. Second row Simon Simca Gordini Gonzalez Ferrari 166C.
1951 two heats and a finale:
-Heat 1 first row Chiron HWM pole-man; Macklin HWM.
-Heat 2 first row Fischer pole-man; Simon Simca-Gordini
-Finale: grid established from times in qualifying heats: first row Fischer on the right; Macklin.

#13 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 20:46

Just to prove that you would be quite entitled to run 3-litre GP cars on your new slot track, Barry.....

Posted Image Posted Image