Photo

Nuvolari in a green Jaguar

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 21:33

First of all, I apologize for the imitation that I am doing with the title of this thread. I hope Alessandro won´t feel "cheated" ;)

There is a story going around, that I have found in what so far I wouldn´t consider bullet-proof sources (and they might actually been copied one from the other) that puts Tazio Nuvolari at the wheel of a Jaguar in practice for a race sometime in August 1950 in Silverstone. The car would, according to these two, break in practice so that Nuvolari ends up not racing the Jaguar.

On the other hand, I have found no trace of this in any other source. Moretti or Whyte´s book on Jaguars do not make the slightest mention to this. Moreover, if one makes the exercise of actually believing the date and place, the Daily Express Trophy appears as a suitable candidate. From the (provisional?) entry lists published by The Light Car there are 5 Jaguars expected to appear, but of course none of them has a Nuvolari attached to it (for the record, the names would be PN Whitehead, Tony Rolt, T Wisdom, LG Johnson and AJ Schwelm).

Has any of you ever heard this weird story and/or can shed some light into this?

Thanks

Felix

Advertisement

#2 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 02:02

This is from 1950 -The Year by Jean-Paul Delsaux.

Silverstone Production Car Races

Silverstone, 26 August 1950.

...It is interesting to note that Tazio Nuvolari had attempted to qualify for the event (in a Jaguar XK120) but was victim of a spinout during the trials that apparently put a final end to his long career.

#3 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 02:11

That is confirmed in the Motor Sport report of the meeting.

It was splendid to see Nuvolari go round at 75.91 mph in a hard-used Jaguar demonstrator, using his gearbox where others trod on their brakes, but on Friday he was said to be ill from methanol fumes - odd, for the production cars were on petrol - and Whitehead drove for him.

#4 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 05:32

I thought the Nuvolari's last race was a hillclimb in a Abarth 204 spider sport..

Stu

#5 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 08:01

Félix,

in Andrew Whyte's book on Jaguars - 1st volume, up to 1953 - there's a picture of Tazio Nuvolari with this caption:

"Tazio Nuvolari and a Jaguar MK V at Silverstone 1950. After practising with the XK120 he was not nearly as fit as this, and took England's advice not to atempt to start in the race. The greatest of all Italian drivers died three years later."

#6 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 08:13

Félix,

complementarily, the text on the book states as "italian red" the colour in wich was painted the Jaguar, not green.

"At the request of the BRDC, Mr.W.Lyons has placed a standard Jaguar XK120 at the disposal of Tazio Nuvolari for Silverstone tomorrow. As a compliment to the fifty-eight-year-old 'Il Maestro', the car will be painted Italian red."

The following picture shows the XK120 'HKV 500', in b&w of course, with this caption:

"John Lea and Frank Rainbow with the now-red XK120, wich Peter Whitehead drove at Silverstone instead of Nuvolari."

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 08:22

Originally posted by Felix Muelas
From the (provisional?) entry lists published by The Light Car there are 5 Jaguars expected to appear, but of course none of them has a Nuvolari attached to it (my italics - dgm) (for the record, the names would be PN Whitehead, Tony Rolt, T Wisdom, LG Johnson and AJ Schwelm)

The six Jaguar drivers are listed in Autosport's preview as Tazio Nuvolari, Leslie Johnson, T H Wisdom, Tony Rolt, Peter Whitehead, A J Schwelm

Their report the following week says:
Disappointment was felt by the decision of Tazio Nuvolari that he was not fit enough to drive the Jaguar...At the last minute Peter Walker replaced Peter Whitehead, and the last-named took over Nuvolari's red car

#8 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 13:09

Thanks Milan, Carles and David for all the info. Looks like I was making a fuss out of a simple hole in my documentation!

Carles : when I was mentioning Andrew Whyte I was not talking about the book you mentioned (actually I did not know the book I owned was one of the several he has published on Jaguar, shame on me). Of course it would be SO NICE if you would be so kind as to scan the picture and send it to me... :kiss:

Un abrazo

Felix

#9 Michael Müller

Michael Müller

• 1,181 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 18:01

Originally posted by Milan Fistonic
but on Friday he was said to be ill from methanol fumes - odd, for the production cars were on petrol - and Whitehead drove for him.

They're not talking about any actual methanol fumes, but that of the preceding 20 years, which damaged Nuvolaris's lung considerably, and what was finally the cause of his death.

#10 alessandro silva

alessandro silva

• 758 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 16:47

It is a very sad story as a matter of fact.
William Lyons had invited Nuvolari to drive a red-painted XK120 in a supporting sports car race for the International Trophy. He took three slow laps the first day of practice. Jaguar team manager Lofty England – to whom probably this version of the story has to be attributed – had the difficult task to tell the ailing Tazio that he was too slow hence unfit to race.

#11 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 20:28

I am sorry to hear Alessandro´s version. Overall, because it sounds dramatically accurate. :(

Anyway, I couldn´t wait for jarama to send me his picture (s) and I found --I know, I could have solved this by myself just with a little extra browsing, sorry guys and thanks again-- this one in page 141 of Cesare de Agostini´s "Tazio Vivo"

Posted Image

#12 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 21:00

Félix,

I've just seen your request and your own reply...

Anyway, if you're interested I can scan the pictures from the Whyte's book.

Carles.

#13 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 17:21

There's also a picture in William Court's "Power & Glory", p.286. :)

#14 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 11:03

According to Duncan Hamilton's "Touch Wood", Nuvolari arrived at Silverstone with the intention of driving a works Healey Silverstone. Healey never heard from the Great Man after the invitation had been sent to him, and so the drive was offered to Hamilton. When he turned up there was much embarassment, but Jaguar saved the day by offering him the XK120.

But then I understand that not everything written in "Touch Wood" is to be believed....

#15 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 21:47

In his final years Nuvolari was a variably sick man, varying from being in frail shape to being in terrible shape. I have been told by many who met the great man at that Silverstone meeting that he was, indeed, in terrible shape that weekend...and they were all greatly concerned for him...some even wondering if he might not survive the journey home...

Nuvolari had at least as a high a proportion of admirers amongst British racing enthusiasts as he had in his native Italy, and possibly higher, and for many it was like seeing a retired old thoroughbred racehorse, attemping one last gallop on grass, arthritic, blown, sway-backed, and broken down ... for many present that weekend it was remembered as a terribly sad sight... particularly for those who recalled the sight of Nuvolari in his pomp at Donington Park, 1938.

DCN