Photo

Podium problems

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 20:50

Ignoring various Schumacher malfunctions..…

Is it true they couldn’t find the Mexican national anthem when Pedro won at Kyalami - so they played “Down Mexico way”?

And, 1957 British GP …...just been reading Duncan Hamilton's “Touch Wood”
“A drama, of which was in the excited crowd was unaware, was played out in the BARC stand when the General Secretary, H.J.Morgan, sat on the record of the British national anthem."
This was not seen as problem, with Moss being too far behind to have much chance of winning. But then Behra’s Maserati expired, Hawthorn got a puncture…....”a party of anxious officials left Aintree and rushed to Liverpool in search of a replacement record. Fortunately, they found one…..”

Advertisement

#2 Wilderness_AT

Wilderness_AT

• 23 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 21:20

Fuji 1977, only 3rd place Depailler at the podium, as Hunt and Reuteman had left for the airport...

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 21:40

Originally posted by David Beard
Ignoring various Schumacher malfunctions..…

Is it true they couldn’t find the Mexican national anthem when Pedro won at Kyalami - so they played “Down Mexico way”?

I think the song is called South of the Border...

Alan Jones keeps on saying that his inaugural Austrian win was followed by much confusion as they looked for an Australian anthem... the end of that story seems to vary from "So they played Jingle Bells or something" to a whole variety of other things... anyone know what was played?

Personally, I feel this has no part in any sport... it's the effort of the individual and the team that brings the result, to make it a matter of national pride is out of place.

#4 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 23:55

the colors of Ireland--not the UK--flew as Eddie Irvine enjoyed his second spot on the podium after the 97 Argentine GP.

#5 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 00:12

When Jacques Laffite won the Swedish GP in 1977, he was denied La Marsellaise because the organizers never expected a french win and they did not have the French national anthem to play for him...

No tears of joy anymore for poor Jacques...

#6 Jordi #99

Jordi #99

• 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 00:18

What about Nuvolari winning in front of the Nazi authorities at the Nordschleife in 1935 and as they didn't have the Italian anthem (because sure, a german will win) , Tazio gave them his own tape he brought to each race?

Is it true or a myth?

#7 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 00:32

Ray
In the 1977 Austrian GP,Jones' victory was such a surprise that race organisers did not even have the Australian national anthem available for the podium ceremony. It was left to a drunk to toast his maiden win with a rendition of 'Happy Birthday' on the trumpet.
Incidentally, Jones wasn't due to celebrate his birthday for another two and a half months.
Warren

#8 Marcor

Marcor

• 1,198 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 00:36

Not really a problem but the podiums without Champagne in 1979 when Regazzoni and Jones won the British, German, Austria, Dutch and Canadian GPs, sponsors oblige...

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 00:48

Originally posted by WGD706
Ray
In the 1977 Austrian GP,Jones' victory was such a surprise that race organisers did not even have the Australian national anthem available for the podium ceremony. It was left to a drunk to toast his maiden win with a rendition of 'Happy Birthday' on the trumpet.
Incidentally, Jones wasn't due to celebrate his birthday for another two and a half months.
Warren

Is this fact or 'urban legend'?

I think I do recall him saying they played 'Happy Birthday'... and other things... but I fail to see that this would have been seen as appropriate...

I'd really like to know for sure what was played.

Jordi #99... I think he had a record rather than a tape...

#10 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 00:56

Ray
I got the information from the following site...
http://www.formula1....2/05/s9391.html
Warren

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 01:00

The way it's written there, it has all the makings of an urban legend.

It doesn't even make it clear that the 'drunk' with his trumpet did this at the behest of the organisers or was just someone in the crowd.

#12 917

• 325 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 08:35

Not problems of the organizers:
Gentlemen Junqueira (or Minassian?) and Webber dropping their trophies on the podium of the first Formula 3000 race of the season 2001(?). The problem was that the wonderful looking trophies were made of glass...

#13 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 08:38

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ray Bell

I think the song is called South of the Border

The full and correct title of Jimmy Kennedy and Michael Carr's song is: "South of the Border (Down Mexico Way)"

#14 maxie

maxie

• 1,538 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 09:19

Detroit '82, the podium was like this: Watson, the winner, was on the left, Cheever, who finished second, was on the centre of the podium. It looked as if Cheever has won the race.

#15 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 09:52

I doubt if Nuvolari brought a "tape" around with him, they hadn't been invented yet. If he did bring his own anthem it was more than likely in the form of a 78 rpm record.

I'm sure the hoisting of the Republic of Ireland flag for Eddie Irvine was a poltical statement by the Argentinians rather than a mistake. Irvine's family in Northern Ireland received death threats from Unionist paramilitaries as a result.

#16 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 22:04

Originally posted by Eric McLoughlin
I doubt if Nuvolari brought a "tape" around with him, they hadn't been invented yet. If he did bring his own anthem it was more than likely in the form of a 78 rpm record.

I'm sure the hoisting of the Republic of Ireland flag for Eddie Irvine was a poltical statement by the Argentinians rather than a mistake. Irvine's family in Northern Ireland received death threats from Unionist paramilitaries as a result.

Not an Edison cylindrical record?

Your revelation on the Irish situation regarding Eddie just adds weight to my belief that politics and nationalism have no place in sport...

#17 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 01:43

There have been a few earlier threads about this:
http://www.atlasf1.c...ighlight=Podium
http://www.atlasf1.c...ighlight=Podium
http://www.atlasf1.c...ighlight=anthem
;)

#18 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 11:05

Hmm. William Court relays in his book "Power & Glory" (1965) a quote from Peter Helck's "The Checkered Flag", saying that Georges Boillot used 'a tape recording device for checking his precise speeds over every inch of the circuit.'

Oh, which circuit? Amiens, used for the French Grand Prix in... 1913!

#19 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 11:42

Magnetic Tape in 1913!!! I'd be surprised although I'm prepared to stand corrected. I thought that magnetic tape was developed just before WW2 in Germany by companies like Agfa and BASF. I know that during the war BBC reporters used magnetic WIRE recorders for location reports. Wynford Vaughan-Thomas' reports from a Lancaster raid and the crossing of the Rhine are classics.

J just don't think Nuvulari went around with a tape reel in his back pocket.

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 12:18

So are you backing the Edison cylinder or the 78, Eric?

I'd reckon it was a 78. And I would suspect that the description of what Boillot did would be very different in the light of modern technology.

#21 Jordi #99

Jordi #99

• 90 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 12:25

I guess we'll have to say the Flying Mantuan had a "reproduction in sound of the Italian anthem" with him.. :)

Well, the point is that a German defeat was so unexpected, that they didn't have the Italian anthem....

#22 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,015 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 14:54

Originally posted by fines

Hmm. William Court relays in his book "Power & Glory" (1965) a quote from Peter Helck's "The Checkered Flag", saying that Georges Boillot used 'a tape recording device for checking his precise speeds over every inch of the circuit.'

Oh, which circuit? Amiens, used for the French Grand Prix in... 1913!

I think this is more likely to be ticker tape, with ink dots being marked at regular time (or distance) intervals, linked to the car somehow.

#23 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 15:16

Pre-programmed punched tapes and cards have been around for over 200 years. Wasn't the Jaquescard Loom invented in the 18th century and pianoroles were often operated using a pre-punched paper roller.

Regarding Nuvolari - I'm going with the 78.

#24 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 15:19

I seem to remember back in the 60s at Brands Hatch they actually had a live brass band to play the anthems.

#25 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 16:39

They certainly did in the movie "Grand Prix". In fact, that's all they showed!

Of course, Lord March has his chums from the Lifeguards and / or The Band of The Blues and Royals do the honours at The Revival.

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 21:01

Hmm... just from memory...

The only 'music' at Warwick Farm was the famous bugler at Creek Corner who played The Last Post for retirees who pulled up nearby.

#27 TODave2

TODave2

• 244 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 21:17

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Personally, I feel this has no part in any sport... it's the effort of the individual and the team that brings the result, to make it a matter of national pride is out of place.

Well that's a number of events down the pan then. Football World Cup, Rugby World Cup, Cricket World Cup... etc. Not to mention all the Olympic team events.

#28 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 21:34

Originally posted by TODave2

Well that's a number of events down the pan then. Football World Cup, Rugby World Cup, Cricket World Cup...

:clap: All a load of balls.;)

#29 David Hyland

David Hyland

• 289 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 02:00

Pre-programmed punched tapes and cards have been around for over 200 years. Wasn't the Jaquescard Loom invented in the 18th century and pianoroles were often operated using a pre-punched paper roller.

Regarding Nuvolari - I'm going with the 78.

This is one of my favourite things about TNF; the way you often get two (or more!) completely different (but originally related) topics progressing simultaneously within the same thread. It some times makes my brain hurt trying to work out which of the "mini-threads" a particular post belongs to, but I learn so much more...

David.

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 08:08

Well that's a number of events down the pan then. Football World Cup, Rugby World Cup, Cricket World Cup... etc. Not to mention all the Olympic team events.

There might not be much chance of changing things with the international team sports, but the Olympic Games is another matter.

They were always intended to be an individual meeting of the world's great athletes - to simply compete against each other. Nationalism only really came into them when Hitler used them to further his own ends.

The introduction of a mass of team sports since this time has been a natural progression...

#31 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 21:12

Originally posted by Wilderness_AT
Fuji 1977, only 3rd place Depailler at the podium, as Hunt and Reuteman had left for the airport...

Here is a nice photo of this happening.

Posted Image

Who is the funny guy in the yellow overalls? A marshal? Or maybe a team member?

#32 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 21:20

After winning the Grand Prix of Japan in 1977, James Hunt was in a hurry after the race and declined to accept his victory garland. As Reutemann wasn't there either, Patrick Depailler appeared on the winner's podium alone to accept his third place trophy...

For some reason I have some kind of weird (sad?) feeling when seeing this particular picture, it's so... dramatic... Difficult to explain, but what are your feelings when seeing this picture? It is also somewhat funny though.

Source: Motor Sport, december 1977

Posted Image

From this forum.

#33 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,706 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 21:33

And Indianapolis last year when messrs Schumacher and Barichello didn't bother to tell poor Tiago Monteiro that they weren't going to spray champagne around. :down:

#34 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 21:39

Magnetic Tape in 1913!!! I'd be surprised although I'm prepared to stand corrected. I thought that magnetic tape was developed just before WW2 in Germany by companies like Agfa and BASF. I know that during the war BBC reporters used magnetic WIRE recorders for location reports. Wynford Vaughan-Thomas' reports from a Lancaster raid and the crossing of the Rhine are classics.

J just don't think Nuvulari went around with a tape reel in his back pocket.

Not magnetic, I'm sure. Perhaps some kind of paper "tape"?

http://www.tvhandboo...istory_tape.htm

#35 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 21:54

Originally posted by D-Type
And Indianapolis last year when messrs Schumacher and Barichello didn't bother to tell poor Tiego Monteiro that they weren't going to spray champagne around. :down:

They were right to do so after that so-called "race".

#36 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 22:32

Hmmm. Well. Olympic team events? How about the 1904 and 1908 Tug-of-War?

In 1904, Milwaukee beat two teams from St Louis...

and in 1908:

Gold: City of London Police
Silver: Liverpool Police
Bronze: Metropolitan Police, K Division

So there y'go - Olympic medals for a team sport going to teams that weren't 'national';)

There were apparently national teams in '08, although the Greeks and Germans withdrew and the Americans objected to the Liverpool team's footwear (something that, having been born and brought up in Liverpool, I find it easy to agree with - some of the most improbable and unpleasant "sports" footwear I've ever seen can be found on the streets there!)...

#37 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 22:57

And Indianapolis last year when messrs Schumacher and Barichello didn't bother to tell poor Tiego Monteiro that they weren't going to spray champagne around. :down:

Why should they? Doesn't Tiago have a mind of his own?

#38 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 23:11

Originally posted by Giacomo:

It's a Ferrari mechanic.

#39 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 23:56

Originally posted by David Beard

According to Jo Ramirez in his highly enjoyable autobiography, the Kyalami organizers played the "Mexican Hat Dance" in lieu of the national anthem of Mexico.

Advertisement

#40 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:45

Originally posted by Pedro 917
Originally posted by Giacomo:

It's a Ferrari mechanic.

Yes, he and Giulio Borsari always seemed to be together. I remember him working on the car of Jacky Ickx at the 1970 British GP. After that I saw him at just about every F1 race, but never found out his name. :

Rob

#41 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,706 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 13:15

Originally posted by scheivlak

Why should they? Doesn't Tiago have a mind of his own

Originally posted by giacomo

They were right to do so after that so-called "race".

Did either of you watch the TV coverage?

Young Monteiro found himself on a Grand Prix podium for the first time (note that I didn't say he had raced to a podium position) and happily went to celebrate this personal milestone by spraying champagne everywhere and was probably expecting the Ferrari drivers to up-end a bottle over him. He even picked up a bottle and started to shake it.

I agree that it wasn't a victory to celebrate and Schumi and Rubens were quite right not to spray champagne. But they should have warned Monteiro that they were going to quietly leave the stage without the usual shenanigans rather than let him make himself look a fool.

#42 bluelite

bluelite

• 56 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 13:18

Wasn't there a little flag-problem at Magny-Cours this year, or am I wrong? They put the finnish flag behin Alonso (winner) and the spanish behind Räikkönen. They changed that very fast... quite funny.

#43 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 13:30

Young Monteiro found himself on a Grand Prix podium for the first time (note that I didn't say he had raced to a podium position) and happily went to celebrate this personal milestone by spraying champagne everywhere and was probably expecting the Ferrari drivers to up-end a bottle over him. He even picked up a bottle and started to shake it.

I've seen drivers go further than pick up and start to shake! Yvan Muller had a bit of a premature celebration at Brands a couple of years ago and ended up having to stuff his finger down the neck of the bottle to stop matters getting out of hand:

Posted Image

(excuse autofocus on fence - it was one of those moments where you had to get a pic quickly!)

#44 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 13:38

I always liked the story below, courtesy of Andrew Kitson, which appeared in "the other place".

The car no.66 is a 1970 Royale RP9 Supervee. The race shown is at Hockenheim. I also painted another view of this car for another montage of the history of Royale. This was used for the cover of the book 'Nowhere to Hide' about the marque which was published last Autumn by Paul Lawrence.
The Hockenheim race caused quite a stir! Supervee was very much dominated by the German's in those days and Cyd went over with a British car and beat them at home. For the book, Paul interviewed Former Royale bosses Bob King and Alan Cornock. I quote:
" There was a good crowd and they were very nationalistic. The Kaimann's were the local contenders and when Cyd won the race it all went very quiet. All the trophies and so on were centred around the Kaimann winning. But we won and that really upset the applecart. Cyd got up on the podium and they played the national anthem and there were jeers from the stands. So Cyd, who is only about five foot tall, did a Nazi salut! They went mad. They were going to murder him and us. We had to sneak Cyd out of the circuit. Looking back, it's funny but at the time it wasn't."
This Royale painting is on my website under 'prints'.

#45 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,512 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 14:28

Originally posted by petefenelon

I've seen drivers go further than pick up and start to shake! Yvan Muller had a bit of a premature celebration at Brands a couple of years ago and ended up having to stuff his finger down the neck of the bottle to stop matters getting out of hand:

Posted Image

(excuse autofocus on fence - it was one of those moments where you had to get a pic quickly!)

Did he just start too soon or was there aniother reason?

cheers!

#46 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 14:48

When Nigel Mansell won the last Formula 1 grand prix held at the Österreichring - the old and true one -, in 1987, he was carried to the podium on the bed of a pick-up truck. The vehicle had to pass under a sort of concrete gantry to reach the podium and everybody riding on the pick-up ducked - bar Mansell, who was too busy celebrating... His head hit the gantry with such an impact and it was quite painful to watch...

Cheers,

Muzza

#47 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 19:56

Did either of you watch the TV coverage?

I agree that it wasn't a victory to celebrate and Schumi and Rubens were quite right not to spray champagne. But they should have warned Monteiro that they were going to quietly leave the stage without the usual shenanigans rather than let him make himself look a fool.

Not Schumacher and Barrichello made Monteiro look like a fool. He did not need their help to reach this goal.

#48 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,706 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 20:33

Originally posted by giacomo
Not Schumacher and Barrichello made Monteiro look like a fool. He did not need their help to reach this goal.

:confused:

#49 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 20:38

I think Monteiro's joy was deserved. For him, he earned his position. I thought the 2005 USGP would be historic because there was every chance a Minardi would finish on the podium. After the pitstop, when Schumacher and Barrichello had their incident in the first turn, if someone had blinked at the wrong moment we could have had a Jordan/Midland win and a Minardi podium. Monteiro beat his competition, he shouldnt be criticised for being pleased with his performance.

#50 Don Speekingleesh

Don Speekingleesh

• 1,048 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 20:39

Originally posted by Muzza
When Nigel Mansell won the last Formula 1 grand prix held at the Österreichring - the old and true one -, in 1987, he was carried to the podium on the bed of a pick-up truck. The vehicle had to pass under a sort of concrete gantry to reach the podium and everybody riding on the pick-up ducked - bar Mansell, who was too busy celebrating... His head hit the gantry with such an impact and it was quite painful to watch...

Cheers,

Muzza

And then when Murrary Walker was interviewing him Murrary gave Mansell a good solid poke on the bump.