Photo

'Coupe des Provinces' race results - 1964 & 1965

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 09:59

Does anyone perhaps have got the dates, race results and other statistics of the Coupe des Provinces races that were held in France, during 1964 and 1965?

This series was the brain-child of the French motorsport magazine, SPORT AUTO, as part of the "Operation Jeunesse" - an idea to promote and find new talent in French motorsport. It was a single make championship where Lotus 7 cars were used. Ford purchased 20 of these cars in kit form. It was then given to regional/provincial motor clubs in France. Each club had to assemble, prepare and enter their car for the championship (under the banner of that particular province).

Each team also had to select its own driver, chosen from thousands of would-be candidates that responded after the idea was published in SPORT AUTO (March 1964).

What is significant is that this championship indeed saw new talent being identified. Men like Henri Pescarolo, Patrick Depailler and Johnny Servoz-Gavin (whom we all know) and also drivers like Robert "Jimmy" Mieusset (F2, Hillclimb and Sports Cars) and François Lacarrau (French F.Renault Champion of 1970).

Advertisement

#2 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 06:51

Apart from the Pescarolo, Mieusset and Depailler, the following drivers also won races in the 1964 Championship - Patrice Grandsart and the late Denis Dayan (at least, this is the info. that I have).

Races were held at Monthléry, Magny Cours, Clermont Ferrand, Reims, Cognac and Albi.

What was the engine capasity of these Lotus 7 cars? Apparently they used Corsiar GT engines - 1600cc, I presume...

#3 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 310 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 17:29

I'll try to get things going here - the first race was 24th May 1964 at Monthlery.

Start list:

1 Ile de France Claude Swietlik
2 Normandie Patrick Grandsart
7 Berry Jean Chicard
10 Saintonge-Aquitaine Bernard Aumaitre
14 Lyonnais Pierre Seguin
15 Dauphine-Savoie Georges Servoz (I suppose Servoz-Gavin)
18 Languedoc Jean-Pierre Bonami
20 Paris Henri Pescarolo

RESULT: 20,14,2,18,15,1,10 (7 retd.)

Then 31st My at Magny Cours

Same competitors +

8 Bourgogne
9 Maine-Bretagne

RESULT: 20,7,14,18,2,15,6

Next race was at Reims - I have the programme somewhere.....

Fred

#4 Bladrian

Bladrian

• 1,491 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 17:35

Originally posted by Hieronymus
Apart from the Pescarolo, Mieusset and Depailler, the following drivers also won races in the 1964 Championship - Patrice Grandsart and the late Denis Dayan (at least, this is the info. that I have).

Races were held at Monthléry, Magny Cours, Clermont Ferrand, Reims, Cognac and Albi.

What was the engine capasity of these Lotus 7 cars? Apparently they used Corsiar GT engines - 1600cc, I presume...

If those were Corsair GT engines, they would have been 1500cc. I had no idea this series existed .... :lol:

#5 Marcor

Marcor

• 1,198 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 23:10

I've got a image of a promising motorbiker in the Lotus-Ford Seven, n°12, representing l'AUVERGNE. (64 or 65). His name ? Patrick Depailler ! It's from L'automobile, August 1965. L'Automobile was the rival of Sport Auto and didn't really speak about the operation. Just one line about the "Operation Ford-Jeunesse" in the one page report of the Magny-cours meeting (F3, GT, Sport,...). The hobby-horse of L'Automobile was rather the Formule IV.

#6 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 23:23

Reims 5 July 1964

1 Ile de France Michel Manou
2 Normandie Patrick Grandsart
4 Champagne Bernard Choyer
5 Alsace Lorraine Maurice Bourion
6 Bourgogne- Franche-Comte Gerard David
7 Berry Jean Chicard
8 Tourraine-Anjou Francois Gomez
9 Maine-Bretagne Rene Bernasconi
14 Lyonnais Robert Mieusset
15 Dauphine-Savoie Marc Blanc
18 Languedoc Jean-Pierre Bonami (Bonamy?)
19 Bearn Andre Bourrec

results

1 Lyonnais Robert Mieusset
2 Bourgogne- Franche-Comte Gerard David
3 Berry Jean Chicard
4 Maine-Bretagne Rene Bernasconi
5 Normandie Patrick Grandsart
6 Tourraine-Anjou Francois Gomez
7 Champagne Bernard Choyer
8 Languedoc Jean-Pierre Bonami (Bonamy?)
9 Ile de France Michel Manou
10 Alsace Lorraine Maurice Bourion

#7 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 07:39

Fantastic chaps!! :up:

I really appreciate the input. I also know about the following dates/venues in 1964:

19 July 1964 - Clermont Ferrand (winner, Patrice Grandsart). Think this was the first motor racing meeting held on this circuit.

10 August 1964 - Cognac (winner, Denis Dayan)

27 September 1964 - Monthléry (winner, Patrick Depailler)

Sept. or Oct. - Albi (winner, Henri Pescarolo)

Please, you will do me a massive favour if anyone can perhaps supply me with the full results for these races.

I did some further reading - The Corsair GT was indeed a 1500cc engine. Seems all Corsair and Corsair GT engines from 1964/65 had 1500cc capasity.

I have a few photos of Depailler in the Lotus 7 (from the Monthléry race), but again my apologies for not being able to post it. There is just no way that I can figure out how to post a image on TNF (The thread on Posting of Images, is also of no help to me). Idiot!

#8 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 06:47

Some more information:

The 1964 series was won by Robert Mieusset, Patrice Grandsart was second and Henri Pescarolo third. Mieusset also won the 1965 series.

Two other drivers that competed in the Coupe des Provinces races and that eventually made it into GP racing, were Jose Dolhem en Max Jean (aka Jean Max).

If anyone perhaps have copies of the French magazine SPORT AUTO, please check. I am sure the 1964 results would have been published in copies of that particular year.

#9 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,876 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 13:56

There is just no way that I can figure out how to post a image on TNF (The thread on Posting of Images, is also of no help to me). Idiot!

Idiot's guide:

You can't post a picture in a message as an attachment: it must be on a website somewhere. If you have web space, upload the picture to that and then link to it by pressing the IMG button in the reply screen and inserting the image address.

:)

Or email it to me and I'll post it for you:

RichardVitesse@aol.com

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,270 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 21:05

.....I did some further reading - The Corsair GT was indeed a 1500cc engine. Seems all Corsair and Corsair GT engines from 1964/65 had 1500cc capasity.

I have a few photos of Depailler in the Lotus 7 (from the Monthléry race), but again my apologies for not being able to post it. There is just no way that I can figure out how to post a image on TNF (The thread on Posting of Images, is also of no help to me). Idiot!

Seems reasonable about the capacity... the 1340 engine was always a bastard size, and it must have been testing things with a 3-bearing crank.

The Cortina came out by 1964 with a 5-bearing 1500 engine, and it never claimed to be anything more than the 'Consul Classic Corsair' (wasn't that the full title?) so it's logical the engine plant would rationalise and move the Corsair up a notch.

As for posting pics, the real problem is that to explain it you need to do it.

Assuming that you have webspace and can upload pics to that (and if it's free webspace like Geocities, be aware that some don't allow this...), you have then only to click on 'quote' on a post that has a pic and study how it was done there... or, as Richard says, click on 'IMG' above the reply text panel.

#11 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 21:29

Hieronymus asked me to post this image

Posted Image

#12 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 11:34

I do not have access to my Sport-Auto at the moment, but I had started compiling results for the "Opération Ford-Jeunesse 1965". Before posting, just a few comments. There was no driver championship in the series, only a final classification by teams (or provinces). Each team had selected several drivers and depending on their abilities (or the lack thereof) they would do more or less of the scheduled races. Also, for 1965 at least, there were two different competitions based on the 15-event calendar. The main one was the “Coupe des Provinces” held on the 9 road races. The other 6 races were hillclimbs and made up the “Trophée de la Montagne” championship.

1965 Schedule.

1. Apr. 25 GP de Pau
2. May 2 Magny-Cours
3. May 9 C/C de la Sainte-Baume HC
4. May 27 C/C de Saint-Antonin HC
5. June 13 GP Automobile de la Châtre
6. July 4 GP de Reims
7. July 11 GP de Rouen
8. July 18 Magny-Cours
9. July 25 Cognac
10. Aug. 1 C/C de Chamrousse HC
11. Aug. 15 C/C du Mont-Dore HC
12. Sep. 12 C/C d’Urcy HC
13. Sep. 19 C/C du Mont-Verdun HC
14. Sep. 26 GP d’Albi
15. Oct. 30 Coupes du Salon de l’Auto

The points system for both series was as follow :
13-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 to the 10 first.

Final Standings – Coupe des Provinces

Pos. Province # Pts
1 Lyonnais 14 71 (4 wins)
2 Cognac 10 69 (2 wins)
3 AGACI 20 54 (1 win)
4 Normandie 2 47 (2 wins)
5 Languedoc 18 39
6 Limousin 11 37
7 Dauphiné 15 34
8 Provence 17 31
9 Bourgogne 6 24
10 Champagne 4 22
11 Maine 9 22
12 Béarn 19 20
13 Alsace 5 15
14 Berry 7 14
15 Côte d’Azur ? 11

The Flandres-Artois (#3), Auvergne (#12) and ACIF (#1) teams did not attend any of the 9 road races and were not classified.

Final Standings – Trophée de la Montagne

Pos. Province # Pts
1 Bourgogne 6 62 (4 wins)
2 Languedoc 18 39
3 Dauphiné 15 37
4 Lyonnais 14 21
5 Alsace 5 13

The hillclimb series was apparently poorly attended by the teams and only these five teams attended at least one of them.

Coming back later with race by race results for this 1965 season...
I'm no good at posting clean tables on Atlas, but I'll be happy to mail my original MS-Word file to anyone interested if this post turns out to be hard to read...
Frank

#13 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 12:03

Fantastic FEV !! :up: :up:

Can you perhaps find the 1964 results when you have access to your SPORT AUTO copies?? Maybe the dates that I have given earlier for the 1964 events can help you in the search...

Thanks Roger and Vitesse2 for helping with the images.

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,876 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 15:28

Two more images of Depailler, courtesy of Hieronymus: the first is at Montlhery on September 27th 1964 (my ninth birthday :blush: ) after his first car race win in only his fourth event.

Posted Image

Secondly, his debut race at Clermont Ferrand on July 19th 1964 (finished second).

Posted Image

#15 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,876 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 15:34

Incidentally, doesn't Depailler look remarkably like Ralf Schumacher in the top picture?

#16 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 09:26

Thanks Richard for posting the images!

Never crossed my mind that Schu Jr. and Depailler are look-alikes. The photo shows a very young Patrick, barely out of his teens (pimples and all).

We all wait in great anticipation for FEV'S kind effort with the results. Seems he is "our only man on the spot" in France, so it will be great to have the results of 1965 and also 1964 (if possible).

Further to FEV's comment and information that there was also hillclimb events. It is indeed true, but I can't find any exact info, especially on the 1964 events.

I have only one source that suggests that Patrick Depailler won the Chamrouse hillclimb in 1964 and also came second at Limonest. No other information on this, except from this one source. Can't say if this is correct, then.

Indeed, it is true that the points were awarded to the different provinces, rather than the individual drivers. Lyon was represented by Robert Mieusset, François Laccarau and one Costa in 1965, when they won the trophy.

FEV, any chance you can please also give us the names of drivers for the different provinces?

#17 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:51

Here are the race results I have for 1965. Far from being complete, but I hope it will help. I really don't know when I'll be able to get my hands back on my Sport-Auto, but I'll let you know when this happens if I find anything related with the "Opération Ford-Jeunesse" in general and Depa in particular. In the meantime, nothing on 1964 at hand I'm afraid...

"Opération Ford-Jeunesse 1965"

April 25, Grand Prix Automobile de Pau
Round 1 of the « Coupe des Provinces »

1) Jimmy Mieusset (Lyonnais)
2) Bonnet (Béarn)
3) Michel Raimon (AGACI)
4) Pierre Blanchon (Cognac)
5) Gaïda (Champagne)
6) Colin (Limousin)
7) Dupont (Normandie)
8) Sacilotto (Languedoc)
9) Militello (Côte d’Azur)

DNF : #17 Provence – #5 Alsace
DNA : #1 ACIF – #3 Flandres-Artois - #6 Bourgogne - #7 Berry - #9 Maine - #12 Auvergne - #15 Dauphiné

May 2, Magny-Cours
Round 2 of the « Coupe des Provinces »

1) Sauveur Costa (Lyonnais)
2) Serge Bougnoteau (Cognac)
3) Balducci (Bourgogne)
4) Claude Guirande (Languedoc)
5) Demoncourt (Maine)
6) Michel Raimon (AGACI)
7) Choyer (Champagne)
8) Ulrich (Alsace)
9) Lechartier (Limousin)
10) Jean-Alain Laffite (Normandie)

DNF : #19 Béarn
DNA : #1 ACIF – #3 Flandres-Artois - #7 Berry - #12 Auvergne - #15 Dauphiné - #17 Provence - Côte-d’Auzr

May 9, Course de Côte de la Sainte-Beaume
Round 1 of the « Trophée de la Montagne »
8100 metres natural road course

1) Chelli (Bourgogne)

DNF : #18 Languedoc – #5 Alsace
All the other teams DNA.

May 27, Course de Côte de Saint-Antonin (near Aix-en-Provence)
Round 2 of the « Trophée de la Montagne »

1) Balducci (Bourgogne)
2) Sacilotto (Languedoc)

DNF : #5 Alsace
All the other teams DNA.

June 13, Grand Prix Automobile de La Châtre
Round 3 of the « Coupe des Provinces »

1) Denis Dayan (Normandie) 30 laps, 22’50’’8
2) Chicard (Berry) (+3’’1)
3) Cabon (Provence) (+11’’0)
4) Jacques Ragaz (Languedoc) (+29’’0)
5) Marquis (Limousin) 29 laps
6) François Lacarrau (Lyonnais) 27 laps
7) Bernasconi (Maine) ?? laps
8) Serge Bougnoteau (Cognac) ?? laps
??) Balducci (Bourgogne) ?? laps

FL : Chicard (44’’7)

DNF : #5 Alsace - #19 Béarn - #? Côte d’Azur
DNA : #1 ACIF – #3 Flandres-Artois – #4 Champagne - #12 Auvergne - #15 Dauphiné - #20 AGACI

Note : without the original material, I can’t remember for sure what’s the problem with Balducci. I’ll try and dig this out later...

July 4, Grand Prix de Reims
Round 4 of the « Coupe des Provinces »

1) Jimmy Mieusset (Lyonnais)
2) Seguin (Dauphiné)
3) Bouju (Champagne)
4) Lechartier (Limousin)
5) Max Jean (Provence)
6) Militello (Côte d’Azur)
7) Chicard (Berry)
8) Claude Segaud (Languedoc)
9) Philippe Delloye (AGACI)
10) Jean-Pierre Dupont (Normandie)

DNF : #6 Bourgogne – #10 Cognac – #19 Béarn
DNA : #1 ACIF – #3 Flandres-Artois – #5 Alsace - #9 Maine - #12 Auvergne

July 11, Grand Prix de Rouen
Round 5 of the « Coupe des Provinces »

1) Pierre Blanchon (Cognac)
2) Denis Dayan (Normandie)
3) Daniel Lhéraud (AGACI)
4) Max Jean (Provence)
5) Lechartier (Limousin)
6) Jacques Ragaz (Languedoc)
7) Choyer (Champagne)
8) Sauveur Costa (Lyonnais)

DNF : #5 Alsace - #15 Dauphiné - #19 Béarn
DNA : #1 ACIF – #3 Flandres-Artois – #6 Bourgogne - #7 Berry - #9 Maine - #12 Auvergne - Côte-d’Azur

July 18, Magny-Cours
Round 6 of the « Coupe des Provinces »

1) Daniel Lhéraud (AGACI)
2) François Lacarrau (Lyonnais)
3) Pierre Blanchon (Cognac)
4) Bernasconi (Maine)
5) Ulrich (Alsace)
6) Lièvre (Dauphiné)

DNA : #1 ACIF – #2 Normandie - #3 Flandres-Artois – #4 Champagne - #6 Bourgogne - #7 Berry - #9 Maine - #11 Limousin - #12 Auvergne - #17 Provence - #18 Languedoc - #19 Béarn - Côte-d’Azur

July 25, Cognac
Round 7 of the « Coupe des Provinces »

1) Pierre Blanchon (Cognac)
2) Daniel Lhéraud (AGACI)
3) Claude Guirande (Languedoc)
4) Max Jean (Provence)
5) Bolchert (Alsace)
6) Bernasconi (Maine)
7) Lechartier (Limousin)
8) Rey (Dauphiné)
9) Bonnet (Béarn)
10) François Lacarrau (Lyonnais)

DNA : #1 ACIF – #2 Normandie - #3 Flandres-Artois – #4 Champagne - #6 Bourgogne – #7 Berry - #12 Auvergne - Côte-d’Azur

August 1, Course de Côte de Chamrousse
Round 3 of the « Trophée de la Montagne »

1) Balducci (Bourgogne)
2) Conversat (Dauphiné)
3) Bourion (Lyonnais)

DNF : #5 Alsace - #18 Languedoc
All the other teams DNA.

August 15, Course de Côte du Mont-Dore
Round 4 of the « Trophée de la Montagne »

1) Jacques Ragaz (Languedoc)
2) Rey (Dauphiné)

All the other teams DNA.

September 19, Course de Côte du Mont-Verdun
Round 5 of the « Trophée de la Montagne »

1) Costa (Alsace)
2) Chelli (Bourgogne)
3) Jacques Ragaz (Languedoc)
4) Rey (Dauphiné)
5) Bombardier (Lyonnais)

All the other teams DNA.

September 26, Grand Prix d’Albi
Round 8 of the « Coupe des Provinces »

1) Jimmy Mieusset (Lyonnais) 32’24’’7 (134,624 km/h)
2) Robert Bardet (Cognac) (+6’’8)
3) Rey (Dauphiné) (+49’’4)
4) Lechartier (Limousin) (+1’06’’3)
5) Claude Guirande (Languedoc) (+1’13’’7)
6) Jean-Alain Laffite (Normandie) 1 lap down (out of fuel)
7) Militello (Côte d’Azur) 1 lap down
8) Cabon (Provence) 4 laps down (crash)
9) Bonnet (Béarn) 13 laps down (camshaft)
10) Daniel Lhéraud (AGACI) 15 laps down (brakes)

Apparently everybody was classified and awarded points, wether they finished or not.

PP : Jimmy Mieusset
FL : Jimmy Mieusset – 1’35’’0 (137,790 km/h)

DNA : #1 ACIF – #3 Flandres-Artois – #4 Champagne - #5 Alsace - #6 Bourgogne – #7 Berry - #9 Maine - #12 Auvergne

October 30, Coupes du Salon de l’Auto (Montlhéry)
Round 9 of the « Coupe des Provinces »

1) Denis Dayan (Normandie) 10 laps – 16’29’’8 (121,479 km/h)
2) David (Bourgogne) (+6’’5)
3) Conversat (Dauphiné) (+7’’7)
4) Michel Raimon (AGACI) (+25’’8)
5) Bonnet (Béarn) (+25’’8)
6) Pierre Blanchon (Cognac) (+28’’7)

R) #11 Limousin collision with Costa
R) Sauveur Costa (Lyonnais) collision with n°11
R) # 5 Alsace
R) #18 Languedoc

FL : Denis Dayan – 1’36’’5

DNA : #1 ACIF – #3 Flandres-Artois – #4 Champagne - #7 Berry - #9 Maine - #12 Auvergne - #17 Provence – Côte-d’Azur

Cheers
Frank

#18 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:54

Thank you FEV for your wonderful contribution. Much obliged!!

Looking at the names from 1965, I notice another famous name, that of Daniel Lhéraud. Followers of French motorsport will probably recall that Lhéraud was the French 125cc and 250cc Motorcycle Champion in 1964.

Quite significant that some top motorcycle racers were selected for the Operation Jeunesse. Apart Lhéraud, naturally also Depailler and Denis Dayan.

One other name, apart from ones already mentioned on this thread, is that of "Rey". I think this can be Jacques Rey that competed at a few Le Mans races in the late 1960's. Maybe not - since Jacques Rey was a Swiss, if I am correct.

#19 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 13:04

For those that are interested, I have managed to find a few more results of the 1964 series:

Trophée de Montagne (Chamrousse)
30 August 1964

1. Auvergne (Patrick Depailler)
2. Paris (Henri Pescarolo)
3. Lyonnaise (Sauveur Costa)
4. Dauphine-Savoie (Johnny Servoz-Gavin)
5. Maine-Bretange (Rene Bernasconi)
6. Alsace Lorraine (Bernard Thévenot)
7. Ile de France (José Dolhem)

Trophée de Montagne (Limonest)
20 September 1964

1. Lyonnaise (Sauveur Costa)
2. Auvergne (Patrick Depailler)
3. Bourgogne-France-Comte (Victor Balducci)
4. Paris (Henry Pescarolo)
5. Alsace-Lorraine (Bernard Thévenot)
6. Ile de France (José Dolhem)

Coupe des Provinces (Montlhéry)
27 September 1964

1. Auvergne (Depailler)
2. Lyonnaise (Jimmy Mieusset)
3. Champagne
4. Limousin
5. Alsace Lorraine
6. Bourgogne-Franche-Comte

Coupe des Provinces (Montlhéry)
4 October 1964

1. Lyonnaise (Mieusset)
2. Paris (Pescarolo)
3. Auvergne (Depailler)
4. Normandie
5. Limousin
6. Ile de France

The final Championship standings for 1964 were as follow:

1. Lyonnaise
2. Normandie
3. Paris
4. Auvergne
5. Languedoc
6. Berry
7. Maine-Bretagne
8. Bourgogne-Franche-Comte
9. Ile de France
10. Champagne
11. Alsace-Lorraine
12. Limousin
13. Touraine-Anjou
14. Dauphine-Savoie
15. Bearn ??
16. Cote d'Azur
17. Aquitaine
18. Flandres Artois
19. Provence

Does anyone please perhaps has got the results and grid positions of the followinf two events?

19 July 1964 (Coupe des Provinces) Clermont-Ferrand
9 August 1964 (Coupe des Provinces) Cognac

Advertisement

#20 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,649 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 14:14

Cool pictures, thanks Roger and Richard :up: :smoking:

#21 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:42

I have been wondering, if anyone (new members perhaps?) has perhaps find new information on the races from the 1964 Opération Jeunesse, since we last posted on this thread.

The grid positions from the following two races are still of special interest to me:

Coupe des Provinces (Clermont-Ferrand), 19 July 1964
Coupe des Provinces (Cognac), 9 August 1964

I can not find details on the circuit that was use at Cognac, but I think it was at an old aerodrome and that it also staged motorcycle races at the time.

I also look for information on the driver, René Huot, that competed in two races for the Auvergne team in 1964. I think he came 3rd at the Albi race and 2nd at the Mont-Dore Hillclimb.

Perhaps someone has got articles from the French magazine SPORT AUTO, that surely would have covered articles on the 1964 races? This would be most helpful.

#22 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 06:31

For those that are interested I now have the results of the following two events in 1964:

Coupe des Provinces (Clermont-Ferrand)
19 July 1964

1) Patrice Gransart (Normandie)
2) Patrick Depailler (Auvergne)
3) Sauveur Costa (Lyon)
4) René Bernasconi (Maine-Bretange)
5) Claude Swietlik (Ile de France)
6) Henri Pescarolo (Paris)
7) Jean-Louis Lhomond (Touraine-Anjou)
8) Bernard Thévenot (Alsace-Lorraine)
9) André Bourrec (Béarn)

dnf Jean-Claude Militello (Côte d'Azur)

The above mentioned race was also the first one in which the team from the Auvergne province competed in this series. Also the first motor car race of his career for Patrick Depailler (see photo in post #14). This team was supervised/managed by Alain Grivaud and technical support came from René Huot and Yves Mayrand. Huot also competed in two races during 1964.

I still wonder if there was any relation between Depailler and René Huot. The reason - Patrick's former wife had the same maiden name.

Trophée de la Montagne (Mont Ventoux)
14 June 1964

1) José Dolhem (Ile-de-France)
2) Jean Max (sic) Provence
3) Binet (Touraine-Anjou)
4) Pin (Lyon)
5) J-P Guichet (Dauphine-Savoie)
6) Christian Galti (Languedoc)

The Coupe des Provinces (Cognac) race on 9 Aug. 1964 is still of great interest to me. If someone please perhaps have the full result and grid positions of this race...

#23 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:23

I
The grid positions from the following two races are still of special interest to me:

Coupe des Provinces (Cognac), 9 August 1964

I can not find details on the circuit that was use at Cognac, but I think it was at an old aerodrome and that it also staged motorcycle races at the time.

Perhaps someone has got articles from the French magazine SPORT AUTO, that surely would have covered articles on the 1964 races? This would be most helpful.

I am again trying to kick some life into this old thread.

New members on TNF...or the die hards? Any info please on the above mentioned race. A race report or just the grid positions perhaps??

Thanks.

#24 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 16:45

Marius

Cannot supply grid positions for Cognac, 9 August 1964 but I'm not sure, reading from the thread, if you have the race results (Is that what you mean by report?) or not.

John

#25 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:47

John, thanks.

I do not have the full results for the Cognac race, apart from the fact that Patrick Depailler (Auvergne) finished second.

What I meant with "report" is a race report published in the French journal SPORT AUTO or whatever other French publication from the time. I do have journal reports for three or four other Coupe des Provinces races from 1964.

If someone has French journals from August/September 1964, can you please perhaps check.

Depailler's grid position at the Cognac race is of major interest to me...

#26 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:29

Marius

Digging further I now realise I do have the full grid for the Cognac race! Depailler was on the second row.

"Sport Auto" did a very detailed review of the 1964 Coupe des Provinces and the Trophee de la Montagne, analysing each team's results, listing drivers and reasons for retirement. Some teams like the Lyonnais squad used no less than nine different drivers for the 14 events they entered whilst Auvergne only used two, the dental student Patrick Depailler and an automobile engineer Rene Huot, for the ten events they entered.

Somewhere I believe I have the various team colour schemes drawn by a "Sport Auto" graphic artist.

Perhaps it would be easier to send you photocopies of what I have, if there is no rush.

John

#27 Cedrric

Cedrric

• 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 16:05

Hi new i'm french search some information, about this old race, because the uncle of my wife race in this serie REY is name, unfortunetly, he died some month later...

But please to send you pics of the Seven he raced with all the staff...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This car is the fantastic museum of Rochetaillé near lyon 69 France...

CéDriC.