Spa map dated 1939

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 13:41

Posted Image

i can't believe i finally found something useful on ebay. it's a map from the army map service from WW2, and it shows the entire Spa-Francorchamp circuit. It's originally from 1939, and was partially revised in 1942, although from the revision info on the map it appears that the area around the circuit wasn't revised.

you can see the full size version at http://www.luthier.net/bigspa39.jpg

it's fascinating to look at. i'm not sure how much what they show is in error or if some of the layout changed that much from before until after the war. the differences that make sense are the area around eau rouge. while the raidillon was already there in 1939, it's no surprise that a '39 map might not yet show it. the area at malmedy shows the configuration of that intersection and how the track actually turned right there.

the question marks are first around stavelot. the whole area around the hollowell corner, even taking into account for the lack of the cut-through, doesn't make sense. the turn to the right toward stavelot from masta seems to be too early, and the the track appears to cross the railroad before the stavelot hairpin. error? also, once through stavelot and heading north, the hard left right kink is something different, and the rest of the section until club corner doesn't really match. also, la source seems to be more of a 90 degree angle than a hairpin, and the map shows some sort of road (or driveway or SOMETHING) going straight across from it.

map errors? road changes? any ideas?

no matter what, this map is fun to look at. :)

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,208 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 13:52

Old maps are always good value... always something to find on them.

#3 droopy

droopy

• 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 14:36

If you look good you can see the eau rouge, 2 or 3 centimeters above La source. :up:
You can even see Pouhon on the map, it is realy a great map.

#4 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 14:38

geez, i just realized i've been looking at the wrong road coming back north from stavelot to francorchamps. the stavelot hairpin is almost halfway from stavelot to masta, and looking at the correct road, now it all makes sense and seems accurate.

#5 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 22:46

This map is taken from the Paul Frere book published in 1962. Please excuse a young boy's scribbling on it! I 'blacked-in' the road as I thought it was in the early 60s.

If you look closely at the Stavelot section you will see where the road ran before they smoothed and speeded up the corner. I think this probably tallies quite well with the above map.

The gradients are interesting too.

Posted Image

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 23:25

Originally posted by MPea3
[IMG] the question marks are first around stavelot. the whole area around the hollowell corner, even taking into account for the lack of the cut-through, doesn't make sense. the turn to the right toward stavelot from masta seems to be too early, and the the track appears to cross the railroad before the stavelot hairpin. error? also, once through stavelot and heading north, the hard left right kink is something different, and the rest of the section until club corner doesn't really match. also, la source seems to be more of a 90 degree angle than a hairpin, and the map shows some sort of road (or driveway or SOMETHING) going straight across from it.

map errors? road changes? any ideas?

no matter what, this map is fun to look at. :)

You are certainly right about it being fun to examine.

I think your concerns about the area of Stavelot and La Source not being a hairpin stem from misidentifying which roads were used for the Circuit National, and which roads were not.

If you start at Masta kink on the straight at the foot of the map, head westwards (OK, left) towards Stavelot. There's a turning to the right below the name 'Cheneux'. Ignore it.

Bash on, full throttle with the railway on its embankment to your left, under the elevation '310' to your right, then there's a second turning into a road going off to the right in the Hollowell bend, ignore that one as well. Bash on towards Stavelot. The road curves left, then - where the map grid squares intersect - there's the old Stavelot hairpin. NOW turn right - BEFORE THE MAIN STAVELOT ROAD GOES UNDER THE RAILWAY BRIDGE - taking the road north towards Francorchamps and La Source.

Charge uphill, past Bois Tappeux and Bois de la Ville marked on your left.

You are now hurtling up through the curves of La Carriere on that spooky backleg of the circuit - then into the fast open left-hander at Blanchimont - see the lettering on the map to the right of the road, in the valley?

Then you're into the left hander at Clubhouse - or Seaman - and that is followed immediately by the distinctive hairpin planform of La Source, and the start of another lap. If you progress north above the level of the placename 'Fagnoux' to the right then you're off the Circuit National.

The other road I think you were following is the one from Stavelot to Francorchamps via Amermont - which was the celebrated site of the five-million-jerry-can fuel dump fired by the Americans to prevent it falling into the hands of Peiper's Panzers during the German Battle of the Bulge advance over Christmas 1944.

Nice map.

DCN

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,208 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 23:36

And just to keep some perspective...

Posted Image

...Thanks Dennis.

#8 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 23:53

Originally posted by MPea3
Posted Image

iIt's originally from 1939, and was partially revised in 1942, although from the revision info on the map it appears that the area around the circuit wasn't revised.

Amazing; and all before the invention of the anti-smoking industry :)

PdeRL :smoking:

#9 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 03:07

Originally posted by Doug Nye

The other road I think you were following is the one from Stavelot to Francorchamps via Amermont - which was the celebrated site of the five-million-jerry-can fuel dump fired by the Americans to prevent it falling into the hands of Peiper's Panzers during the German Battle of the Bulge advance over Christmas 1944.

Nice map.

DCN

yep, initially i was looking at the wrong road. it all makes sense now. actually, it's now amazing how LITTLE it's changed.

#10 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,724 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 08:53

Originally posted by Doug Nye

Then you're into the left hander at Clubhouse - or Seaman -

DCN

Or Martinfange as it was originally known I believe

Lovely map though

#11 ettiwed

ettiwed

• 29 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 03:21

MPea

the black/white line on the mape is not the circuit

the circuit take not the road from Stavelot - Amermont to Francorchamp, bu after Masta, the 3° road right (after Mista) , before the railroad bridge, to the Blanchimont valley.

In 1951 she make the new "virage Stavelot" high speed corner.