The Bathurst winning cars

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:52

One for the Ozzies abroad in TNF.

Some 43 cars have the Bathurst enduro event over the years, with an honourable mention I'm sure to a certain yellow Monaro from last year. But what has happenned to them all?

My interest has been re-sparked in recent weeks after seeing the 1979 (or was it 1978?) and 1987 winning cars at Queensland Raceway, and the recent firesale of Tom Walkinshaw's mesuem, which at one point held the 1985 and 1990 winners, although neither were offerred for sale with the rest of the TWR's toys.

Ten years ago, in a series of articles for Motor Racing Australia magazine, David Greenhalgh traced the history of the cars then. But what of them in the intervening years.

Queensland car collector David Bowden was acquired two Brock winners. Dick Johnson has retained two of his three winners. Fred Gibson has retained one. Several sit on the Motor Racing Museum at Mount Panorama, scene of the triumphs that made their legend.

2002 - 24 Hour - Holden Monaro HRT 427C - Garry Rogers Motorsport
2001 & 2002 Holden Commdoore VX - Holden Racing Team / Tom Walkinshaw Racing
2000 Holden Commodore VT - Garry Rogers Motorsport
1999 Holden Commodore VT - Gibson Motor Sport
1998 - Classic - Ford Falcon EL - Stone Brothers Racing
1998 Volvo S40 - Tom Walkinshaw Racing
1997 - Classic - Holden Commodore VS - Perkins Engineering
1997 BMW 320i - Diet Coke BMW Racing Australia
1996 Holden Commodore VR - Holden Racing Team / Tom Walkinshaw Racing
1995 Holden Commodore VR - Perkins Engineering
1994 Ford Falcon EB - Dick Johnson Racing
1993 Holden Commodore VP - Perkins Engineering
1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R BNR-32 - Gibson Motor Sport
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R BNR-32 - Gibson Motor Sport
1990 Holden Commodore TWR VL SSGroupA - Holden Racing Team / Tom Walkinshaw Racing
1989 Ford Sierra RS500 - Dick Johnson Racing
1988 Ford Sierra RS500 - Tony Longhurst Racing
1987 Holden Commodore VL SSGroupA - Holden Dealer Team
1986 Holden Commodore VK SSGroupA - Chickadee Racing
1985 Jaguar XJS - Tom Walkinshaw Racing
1984 Holden Commodore VK - Holden Dealer Team
1982 & 1983 Holden Commodore VH - Holden Dealer Team
1981 Ford Falcon XD - Dick Johnson Racing
1980 Holden Commodore VC - Holden Dealer Team
1979 Holden Torana LX A9X - Holden Dealer Team
1978 Holden Torana LX A9X - Holden Dealer Team
1977 Ford Falcon XC - Moffat Ford Dealers
1976 Holden Torana LH L34 - Ron Hodgson Motors
1975 Holden Torana LH L34 - Gown-Hindhaugh Racing
1974 Ford Falcon XA GT - McLeod Ford
1973 Ford Falcon XA GT - Ford Australia
1972 Holden Torana LJ XU1 - Holden Dealer Team
1971 Ford Falcon XY GTHO Phase III - Ford Australia
1970 Ford Falcon XW GTHO Phase II - Ford Australia
1969 Holden Monaro HT GTS350 - Holden Dealer Team
1968 Holden Monaro HK GTS327 - Wyong Motors
1967 Ford Falcon XR GT - Ford Australia
1966 Morris Coopers S - British Motor Corporation
1965 Ford Cortina GT500 - Barry Seton
1964 Ford Cortina GT - Ford Australia
1963 Ford Cortina GT - Ford Australia
1962 Ford Falcon XL - Ford Australia
1961 Mercedes 220 SE - Autoland
1960 Vauxhall Cresta - S.A.Cheney

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 06:27

Barry Seton drove the only 220SE to ever race at Bathurst...

And no Vauxhall has ever won an important race at Bathurst.

And you haven't included the Geoghegan brothers' Daimler...

#3 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 14:09

Tsk Tsk, Ray, instead of contributing.........

But since you mention the Daimler, what happened to Nigel Arkell's Supra, and those never ending streams of factory supported Series 6 RX7s and the RPM Ferrari 355 Challenge?

We all draw lines somewhere...

I've had a flood of responses from an identical post in another forum though.

http://www.conrod.co...rum=2&topic=820

http://www.conrod.co...rum=2&topic=822

Ray, for shame, and in the same month you told me off for suggesting the Bathurst 1000 died in 1999 :p

#4 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 14:16

As you said Mark, Dick Johnson still owns two of the three winners (was the 89 winner the same car they ran as #17 in 92, and which DJR Sierra was it?), the 1994-winning EB was converted to EF-spec and written off by John Bowe in his massive accident at PI in 1996.

From memory, the '68-winning' Monaro at the Bathurst museum is not the actual car but a replica (IIRC, under the skin it's a six-cylinder, 3-spd auto). Reading from Greenhalgh's article, McPhee sold it to Mulholland, who used it as a road car before he traded it in at Noble Motors in Gosford. Mulholland thought the car was auctioned off for $1500. At the time of the article, the actual winning car's whereabouts were unknown.

According to Greenhalgh's article, the 66, 63, 62 and 61-winning cars were all missing, however the Vauxhall Cresta's whereabouts were known - it had been scrapped. Frank Coad had found the remains, but I don't know how much of it was used in the car that's running around now. The location of the 65 and 64-winners were known (remember that in 1995, Glenn Seton, if he were to win the race, had the choice of receiving 30 grand or his dad's Bathurst-winning Cortina).

The 1988-winning Sierra was sold in 1989 to Ken Mathews, who ran it in Caltex colours that year - Colin Bond had a run in the car at Symmons Plains - and it later appeared for sale in the pages of Auto Action. I know it sits in the museum now, but I'm not sure who owns it. Was that the car Mathews ran at Bathurst in 1992?

The 1992-winning Nissan is owned by a collector (can't remember his name, Terry-something?) who also owns one of the Group C Bluebirds and a DR-30 Skyline, all have which have recently spent some time in the museum. Was the 1992 winner the same car as the 1991 winner? I've never seen the 92 car mentioned as such.

I know the 86 winner was in the museum, but is it still there? Also, if it is in the museum, who actually owns the car? I know Graeme owned the car after the win, and he let son Derek have a run in it in assorted sports sedan races in the late 80's, but does Graeme still own it?

#5 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 14:41

After reading through the two threads at conrod, I stand corrected :)

The 1991 12hr-winner was run by Mountain Motorsport at the 1992 event (and was the highest finishing, and only-finishing Supra). I don't know what happened to it after that race. Was that car Fitzy's 1989 Prod. Car Championship winner?

To the best of my knowledge, the 1992 winning #17 RX-7 was used by Mazda Motorsport in 1993 to eventually finish second bearing the #1, while the 1993 winner was the #7 car from 1992. These two original cars were sold, the 92 winner to Peter Dane and the 93 winner to Peter Hopwood (that could be the other way around...) who raced the cars in the 1994 12hr. Mazda Motorsport built up two new cars for the 1994 race, and I think they may have been updated to SP1-spec for the 1995 Eastern Creek 12hr. I don't know what happened to Dane's RX-7, but I think Hopwood sold his to Terry Bosnjak, and it may also have been updated to SP1-spec for the 1995 Eastern Creek 12hr. If so, this is probably the car that Bosnjak and Mark Williamson? used to win the 1999 GTP 3-hour at Bathurst.

#6 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 14:43

As mentioned in other threads, the '89 winner was the '92 second placed car and is also sitting proud of place in Dick's museum, alongside the '81 winner restored to it's original glory after spending most of the 80's in the Alf Grant colours it last raced in. Although not totally original as the Valvoline decals have become Shell decals. Funny that. The remains of the '94 winner also sit within DJR's workshops. The car on display at DJR though is the '93 car that was destroyed at Reid Park which has since been restored in the colours of the '94 car.

The '68 Monaro in the Museum car is definately a replica. It doesn't look quite right in the usually way replicas do.

The Museum owns the '88 Sierra.

The car Mathews ran in '92 was a diabolical piece of **** that had been flown in from Singapore for the race by Mike Newton. The car ran on AVGAS in Asia, but was forced to run ULP for Bathurst and the engine was never healthy. When it did the inevitable engine damage they found the block didn't match the bits they had quickly sourced from Colin Bond. The whole experience was a nightmare from day one.

Terry Ashwood owns the former Fred Gibson museum collection of Nissans which includes the '92 R-32 winner. The '91 winner was the only one of Gibbos R-32s sold overseas and it disappeared into Asia, although it has been supposedly recently been located in Bangkok.

Graeme Bailey retains ownership of his VK Commodore, finally the Holden Gricey couldn't break, but has loaned the car to the Museum. I guess it's better that someone else maintains it huh?

#7 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 14:48

Originally posted by William Dale Jr
After reading through the two threads at conrod, I stand corrected :)

The 1991 12hr-winner was run by Mountain Motorsport at the 1992 event (and was the highest finishing, and only-finishing Supra). I don't know what happened to it after that race. Was that car Fitzy's 1989 Prod. Car Championship winner?

To the best of my knowledge, the 1992 winning #17 RX-7 was used by Mazda Motorsport in 1993 to eventually finish second bearing the #1, while the 1993 winner was the #7 car from 1992. These two original cars were sold, the 92 winner to Peter Dane and the 93 winner to Peter Hopwood (that could be the other way around...) who raced the cars in the 1994 12hr. Mazda Motorsport built up two new cars for the 1994 race, and I think they may have been updated to SP1-spec for the 1995 Eastern Creek 12hr. I don't know what happened to Dane's RX-7, but I think Hopwood sold his to Terry Bosnjak, and it may also have been updated to SP1-spec for the 1995 Eastern Creek 12hr. If so, this is probably the car that Bosnjak and Mark Williamson? used to win the 1999 GTP 3-hour at Bathurst.

Apart from John Bourke's Supra which was fifth.....

Fitzy's Supra of course, not Arkell's. Silly me.

From a tongue in cheek response about the Mazdas, thank you very much, an unexpected bonus!

Yes it was Mark Williamson. And I wondered about Bosnjak's SP2.

A lot of Group E cars got restored to road cars, same, distressingly, with Group C (Touring, not Sports Cars). Dick Johnson's XB/XC disappeared that way, along with the '75 Gown-Hindhaugh L34. Graham Neilsen's Maserati Shamal and R-32 Skyline were still being seen in Falken colours about the place in the late 90's doing promotional work, most obviously at Falken Tyres Rally Queensland. (Again, funny that)

#8 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 14:58

Bourke's Supra didn't finish the 1992 race, it lost a wheel with John Smith in the driver's seat (was going to say at the wheel, but...), and that car wasn't the car Bourke drove in the 1991 event - he obtained an ex-Toyota media vehicle to use after the 1991 car played Jacques Cousteau during the Gosford floods. Bourke ran the 1992 car again in 1993, where Gricey stuffed it in during practice, but the TAFE boys fixed it for the race for it to finish back in 33rd, and I don't think it raced again - Bourkey had a new Subaru Impreza to play with for 1994. Also, I think his 1991 car was the car he used in the 1989 Prod. Car championship - but I could be wrong.

You're welcome for the Mazda info, but I'm not too sure how much of it is accurate, but I'm reasonably sure that the Bosnjak car is the one I think it is. I've just done a bit of looking, and I think at least one of the 1995 Mazdas (the black car) could be a brand spanker - but that's only from looking at the paint in the engine bay. It might sound pretty tenuous, but the engine bays of the 1994 cars were red and silver...

#9 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 15:06

I re-read and sit here suitably chastised.

Sorry William.

You make it sound as thought the RX7's are sitting in the garage by your PC. Maybe I do want to know the answer to that and maybe I don't.

After re-reading the Greenhalgh article it appears the Group A XJS currently available for auction is NOT the '85 winner. That car is privately owned by, errrr...... someone or other......

#10 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 15:16

Originally posted by Falcadore
I re-read and sit here suitably chastised.

Sorry William.

You make it sound as thought the RX7's are sitting in the garage by your PC. Maybe I do want to know the answer to that and maybe I don't.

After re-reading the Greenhalgh article it appears the Group A XJS currently available for auction is NOT the '85 winner. That car is privately owned by, errrr...... someone or other......

Hey, don't apologise, it's after midnight! :)

The only reason I have all this info about the RX-7's is that I was doing a bit of research earlier this year so I could try and build the 1994 winner out of a Tamiya model kit I have. I haven't managed it yet because I could never find an interior pic showing the roll cage, so there wouldn't be much point, and I don't even know where to start about getting decals made up. On the upside, the research managed to turn up a video of the 12-hour preview show shown on the afternoon in 94 - there can't be too many copies of that around :)

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 22:10

Originally posted by Falcadore
Tsk Tsk, Ray, instead of contributing.........

My contribution was by way of a correction! 'Bathurst' isn't located at Phillip Island, never has been, never will be.

Then you include the 24-hour in your list, so it's obvious to me you've ignored the 1962 6-hour, an event that probably counted quite significantly when it came to moving the Armstrong 500 to Bathurst. I'm sorry I didn't think of those '90s 12 hours too... tremendous events with the start in the dark.

.....Ray, for shame, and in the same month you told me off for suggesting the Bathurst 1000 died in 1999 :p

I don't recall this, and I don't know to which month you refer, but I can certainly tell you that there is no way anyone can consider that the 'Bathurst 1000' died in 1999.

It's still running, alive and well, though you never know what Cochrane might do with it in the future. But you've raised another matter in my mind here, from a Jim Sullivan Philosophy article in Racing Car News in the early seventies...

It was about including the Bathurst race (at that time the Hardie-Ferodo 500) in the Manufacturer's Championship.

I don't know why the ARDC allowed themselves to be forced into this, but probably it was to gain brownie points with the CAMS. Prior to that cars had to be standard, and as available in Australian showrooms, which meant that the Bathurst race was truly an extension of the showroom arena. Series Production racing at the time included British models of the Mini (lighter without windup windows), models with engine variations not sold here and so on.

So compelling the ARDC to put their race into the ManChamp was the first step in alienating the race from its traditional roots. The race where the mums and dads could see their car racing and perhaps decide on what to buy next.

Of course, with 1973 came the new modified class, where induction and exhaust systems, camshafts and suspensions were permitted to be varied, bigger wheels were allowed, they were turning into racing cars. But still the mums and dads watched, some out of habit, some simply not realising that the cars weren't showrooms stock any more.

The rules changed again, the Bathurst race was still included, then there was the International Group A period, and finally the race was restricted to Falcon versus Holden V8 racing.

It's a good job it took twenty years for these steps to take place, otherwise the mums and dads would have turned off their television sets on October long weekends and gone to the beach.

One day, Mark, I hope you can see these perspectives...

#12 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:11

My response was intended tongue in cheek Ray, hence the :p, apologies if you took offence.

I was specifically referring to the generally accepted history and evolution of the 1000. While the 6 Hour certainly has merit in the history of long distance sedan car racing, the Armstrong 500 is widely accepted as the races starting point. But you know all this. The arguement disputing whether the '62 Phillip Island 500 or the '62 Bathurst 6 Hour has a greater call in the races geneaolgy must seem old hat. There's nothing I can contribute on the point that has not been said before.

Although.... at what point did the Australian Grand Prix become accepted as a race that could move from venue to venue? I ask because I'm genuinly curious

I was specifically mentioning the evoultion of the 1000, which is THE race, but only really mentioned the 24 Hour as an aside, an 'honourable mention' was the words I actually used. The race winning car is very obviously still in competition so the cars identity is well established not really worth remarking on other than a 'wahoo' for the 'Monro' concerned.

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 12:30

I could hardly say I took offence at anything, Mark, but this is the situation as I see it:

The 'Bathurst 1000' began as the 'Armstrong 500' at Phillip Island in 1960, but by the conclusion of the 1962 race it had destroyed the marginal track surface and caused the track to be closed.

With the successful running of the 6-hour race, which was more than just a touring car race, by the way, as it was won by a Daimler SP250, showed that Bathurst was ready to become the venue for a long-term endurance race.

So it's not a matter of which race had the 'greater call' but a matter of that race showing that Bathurst was the venue to be used. And I don't know that there has ever been any argument along the lines you suggest.

Remember, Armstrong York and the genesis of the race was all Thicktorian. But then again, on race weekends Bathurst becomes a kind of extension of Thicktoria anyway, doesn't it?

As for the portability of the AGP... well, that was something that should have happened because it was planned to, but in essence only happened because it had to.

After the Country Speedways event at Goulburn and that company folded, the name wasn't used until 1929.

The Light Car Club, however, ran the first ever road race in the country at Phillip Island in 1928. It was called the '100 miles road race'... and those who were there still call it that to this day. I know, I've heard them do so, and without any prompting.

By the following year, however, when they extended the race distance to 200 miles, they gave it the name it should, in essence, have had the previous year. But most demonstrably it didn't.

Then, after the 1935 race, the Light Car Club decided that the event would be no more. The safety aspect was becoming too marginal and they didn't run any more races at Phillip Island. The 'Australian Grand Prix' name lapsed, even though others ran races at the Island, as far as I know on both the triangle track as well as the rectangle that had seen the main event.

Then the South Australian authorities were looking for ways to celebrate their state's centenary. A big rally, Monte Carlo style, was organised so that competitors would converge on SA from all states. And that finished in time for those who wanted to contest the 'South Australian Centenary Grand Prix' at Port Elliot on December 26, 1936. This was probably the biggest road race held in Australia to that time, though it's possible the 1934 Victorian Centenary event (over 300 miles) was bigger.

The 'Australian Grand Prix' name was most appropriate for the big race held to inaugurate the Bathurst circuit just over a year later. At some point someone, and I have no idea who, decided that the SA Centenary event fitted in with this sequence and all these races from 1928 to 1938 were in the lineage of the Australian Grand Prix, the 1936 event at Port Elliot/Victor Harbor becoming the 1937 race.

There was some organisation in it all now, and so with the successful running of the 1938 Lobethal meeting having proved that circuit's worth the 1939 race was allocated to South Australia.

It's here, really, that the beginning of the movement of the race began to be planned. The Australian Automobile Association, as the controlling body in Australia, had member associations in all states and no doubt pressure from all of them contributed to their desire to see the race become a truly National event.

I don't know exactly when this was mooted or decided, but with the advent of Bathurst and the following race being held at Lobethal - and bearing in mind that these were the only two states with legal road racing east of Kalgoorlie - it must be seen that the move was made prior to Lobethal. Probably prior to Bathurst, as there really seems little carryover from the Island AGPs to the Bathurst race except for a very small number of competitors.

That, of course, is largely because of the established nature of the Island races. They were restricted to 2-litres in a land full of cars over 3-litres. They were light car races, but the AGP became an all-in event with the Bathurst event, though the Port Elliot race was also unrestricted.

The stated aim of rotating the race among the states was restated and confirmed post-war. Bathurst got the first one in 1947, and because there were disused and otherwise prospectively available aerodromes all over the place, there was no state likely to be totally stuck for a venue. This was where the Victorians ran it in 1948 - at Point Cook Naval Air Base.

Then Queensland got its first AGP in 1949, Western Australia in 1951, Tasmania was a bit out of the picture with only Valleyfield and no real population to draw crowd from, but when Longford came on stream in 1955 and the first Gold Star event there in 1958 was such a success, there was another state in the loop.

The order of rotation was only broken by the Olympic Games in Melbourne in 1956, when it was decided to have the race in the same period and in the same city to capitalise on the sporting crowd on hand (I guess...) and so WA had to wait an extra year for their second race.

But then professionalism came upon the scene... compare the Austin Special that ran at Mallala in 1961 with the cars that made the front running, for instance, or the Lotus 7 that ran at Caversham in 1962 in the race in which Bruce McLaren and Jack Brabham diced for the lead.

There was also the onset of a loose arrangement of international events each February and March, which fitted in with Longford. So it was decided to restrict the AGP to these races to give it more stature and to eliminate the degradation of its standing in comparison to these races. When these races became the Tasman Cup series it all made even more sense.

The next change came when the Warwick Farm organisers applied for a World Championship round. They never got it, but the CAMS had decided that they could have a free-standing AGP for two years. Thereafter the race moved around more at the whim of the CAMS - with reference to the ability of the organisers to make it a good event - than anything else.

And in an Australia that was getting progressively more interested in touring cars, this was probably the right thing to do...

#14 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:21

1966 Minis

QUOTE: The stickers bit I'm not sure that it was Bob Holden's idea, though he insists it was, because they had a similar system to tell the cars apart in 1965 (green triangles and black/white chevrons).

The Shamrocks on Paddy's car didn't appear until 1967 - 1966 he had chevrons (not French) while French/Harvey had triangles (yellow I believe).

I'm also not sure it was Bob's idea to paint the cars Castrol Green, as I've previously been told it was Evan Green, but he's gone... so we'll probably never know for sure. UNQUOTE

Does anybody out there have knowledge of the colour schemes or any colour pictures of the winning cars from 1966 and Minis from 1967 ?? :)

#15 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:04

If you do a search at Autopics
http://www.autopics....ic/search.ehtml
on the terms morris 1967 and select all terms , you will get a couple of colour photos of the Hopkirk/Foley Mini, complete with shamrock.

#16 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:55

Thanks David....1966...is still a mystery though :(

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 13:33

What is the mystery?

I might remember the detail for you...

#18 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:23

Originally posted by Ray Bell
What is the mystery?

I might remember the detail for you...

Errgh......the 1966 colours Ray....no one seems to have any colour pics or fil-um of the crushing Mini victory??? :blush:

#19 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:41

While you are looking, I want colour pics of the 68/69 Cooper S' ;)

Advertisement

#20 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 15:54

PHILLIP ISLAND

1960 - John Roxburgh / Frank Coad (Vauxhall Cresta)
1961 - Bob Jane / Harry Firth (Mersedes Benz 220 SE)
1962 - Harry Firth / Bob Jane (Ford Falcon XL)

MOUNT PANORAMA

1963 - Harry Firth / Bob Jane (Ford Cortina GT)
1964 - Bob Jane / George Reynolds (Ford Cortina GT)
1965 - Barry Seton / Midge Bosworth (Ford Cortina GT500)
1966 - Rauno Aaltonen / Bob Holden (Morris Cooper S)
1967 - Harry Firth / Fred Gibson (Ford Falcon XR GT)
1968 - Bruce McPhee / Barry Mulholland (Holden Monaro GTS327)
1969 - Colin Bond / Tony Roberts (Holden Monaro GTS350)
1970 - Allan Moffat (Ford Falcon XW GTHO Phase II)
1971 - Allan Moffat (Ford Falcon XY GTHO)
1972 - Peter Brock (Holden Torana LJ XU-1)
1973 - Allan Moffat / Ian Geoghegan (Ford Falcon XA GT)
1974 - John Goss / Kevin Bartlett (Ford Falcon XA GT)
1975 - Peter Brock / Brian Sampson (Holden Torana L34)
1976 - Bob Morris / John Fitzpatrick (Holden Torana L34)
1977 - Allan Moffat / Jacky Ickx (Ford Falcon XC)
1978 - Peter Brock / Jim Richards (Holden Torana A9X)
1979 - Peter Brock / Jim Richards (Holden Torana A9X)
1980 - Peter Brock / Jim Richards (Holden Commodore VC)
1981 - Dick Johnson / John French (motor racing) (Ford Facon XD)
1982 - Peter Brock / Larry Perkins (Holden Commodore VH)
1983 - Peter Brock / Larry Perkins / John Harvey (Holden Commodore VH)
1984 - Peter Brock / Larry Perkins (Holden Commodore VK)
1985 - John Goss / Armin Hahne (Jaguar XJS)
1986 - Allan Grice / Graeme Bailey (Holden Commodore VK)
1987 - Peter Brock / David Parsons / Peter McLeod (Holden Commodore VL)
1988 - Tony Longhurst / Tomas Mezera (Ford Sierra RS500)
1989 - Dick Johnson / John Bowe (Ford Sierra RS500)
1990 - Win Percy / Alan Grice (Holden Commodore VL)
1991 - Mark Skaife / Jim Richards (Nissan Skyline GT-R)
1992 - Mark Skaife / Jim Richards (Nissan Skyline GT-R)
1993 - Larry Perkins / Gregg Hansford (Holden Commodore VP)
1994 - Dick Johnson / John Bowe (Ford Falcon EB)
1995 - Larry Perkins / Russell Ingall (Holden Commodore VR)
1996 - Craig Lowndes / Greg Murphy (Holden Commodore VR)
1997 - Geoff Brabham/David Brabham BMW 320i
1997 - Larry Perkins / Russell Ingall (Holden Commodore VS)
1998 - Rickard Rydell/Jim Richards Volvo S40
1998 - Jason Bright / Steven Richards (Ford Falcon EL)
1999 - Steven Richards / Greg Murphy (Holden Commodore VT)
2000 - Garth Tander / Jason Bargwanna (Holden Commodore VT)
2001 - Mark Skaife / Tony Longhurst (Holden Commodore VX)
2002 - Mark Skaife / Jim Richards (Holden Commodore VX)
2003 - Greg Murphy / Rick Kelly (Holden Commodore VY)
2004 - Greg Murphy / Rick Kelly (Holden Commodore VY)

#21 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 21:23

To reiterate...

1962 - Leo Geoghegan / Ian Geoghegan (Daimler SP250)

Mick... I have seen colour movie I'm sure. Chase up the people who made Gallaher cigarettes.

#22 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:58

Rosemayer: - Just to shorten that list - the car that won 1982 & 1983 is the same car and similarly 2001 & 2002.

#23 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 05:56

Originally posted by Ray Bell
To reiterate...

1962 - Leo Geoghegan / Ian Geoghegan (Daimler SP250)

Mick... I have seen colour movie I'm sure. Chase up the people who made Gallaher cigarettes.

Seeing as how you mentioned three of my favourite things in your answer to my question about Minis Ray....(and cigarettes is not one of them ): )

http://www.gallaher-...om/subindex.htm

Appears to be a terrific source of ciggie related motor sport tid-bits, articles, documents and background to their sponsorship etc...

highly recommended as a source for TNF :up: