Photo

This Date In Auto Racing

• Please log in to reply
1097 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:37

A daily look at race re-caps from racing history through 1985 (project originally done in 1995)...

Even though it's against by better judgement, I'll give this a shot for as long as I can...

JANUARY 1, 1913 - San Diego, California, USA...George Hill won the AAA Championship San Diego Road Race in a Fiat. Hill covered the 183.4 miles in a time of 3 hours, 58 minutes and 12 seconds in taking the only AAA Championship win of his career. The race was 2 laps of a 91.7 mile loop of public roads.

1932 - Oakland, California, USA..."Babe" Stapp was declared winner of the accident shortened 100 mile AAA Pacific Coast championship race at Oakland Speedway. The race, twice postponed because of rain, was halted after the second serious accident of the event. Ralph Hepburn, 3rd in AAA points in '31, and Bryan Saulpaugh were badly injured in seperate accidents (note: both did race again). Earlier, Saulpaugh had set a new lap record of 35.31 (101.95 mph avg.) on the 1 mile high banked dirt oval.

1965 - East London, South Africa...Jim Clark won the Formula One season opening South African Grand Prix in a Lotus-Climax, in what would be the last championship F1 GP held on the East London circuit. Clark led from the pole, with defending World Champion John Surtees' Ferrari 29 seconds behind at the finish. The checkered flag fell a lap early, but Clark trusted his pit signals and carried on through a confusing final lap. The race also featured a couple of debuts of note: Jackie Stewart made his championship GP debut, earning a point for finishing 6th, and Goodyear tires made their F1 debut on the Brabham team cars.

1968 - Kyalami, South Africa...Jim Clark drove his Lotus-Ford to victory as the Formula One season opened with the South African Grand Prix on the Kyalami circuit. The win was the 25th of Clark's career, moving him past Juan Manuel Fangio to become, at the time, the winningest driver in F1 history. Sadly, it would be Clark's final championship F1 start as he died in a F2 crash before the next GP.

Advertisement

#2 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:14

JANUARY 2, 1967 - Kyalami, South Africa...Taking the lead when local hero John Love pitted for fuel with 7 laps left, Pedro Rodriguez won the Formula 1 South African GP in a Cooper-Maserati. The first F1 win of Rodriguez' career was overshadowed by the performance of 42 year old Rhodesian driver Love, who nearly pulled off one of the biggest surprises in championship F1 history. The Brabham-Repco cars of Denis Hulme and Jack Brabham paced the first half of the 204 mile race, with Love moving his dated, underpowered Cooper-Climax into 3rd. After Brabham retired and Hulme pitted for brake fluid, Love took the lead with the least powerful car in the race. The chance for a storybook finish ended with 7 laps remaining when Love had to pit for fuel. Rodriguez roared by while Love was in the pits, going on to cross the line 26 seconds ahead of Love. John Surtees finished a lap down in 3rd in a Honda. Rodriguez himself was driving for the Cooper team on a "try out" basis (he got the job). The race also marked the first championship GP at the Kyalami circuit.

1971 - Levin, New Zealand...Graham McRae drove his McLaren M10B to victory as the 1971 Tasman Cup series for Formula 5000 cars got underway with a race on the 1.2 mile Levin Circuit.

#3 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 01:27

JANUARY 3, 1915 - Bakersfield, California, USA...Bob Burman wins a 50 mile race on the 1 mile dirt oval at the Kern County Fairgrounds. Burman averaged 73 mph in his Peugeot.

1932 - Bakersfield, California, USA...1931 AAA Pacific Coast champ Ernie Triplett drove his Miller to victory in the AAA Pacific Coast championship race at the Kern County Fairgrounds. Earlier, 1928 Indy 500 winner Lou Meyer set a new qualifying record of 36.64 on the 1 mile dirt oval.

1970 - Levin, New Zealand...Graeme Lawrence drove his Ferrari 246T to victory in the opening round of the 1970 Tasman Cup series, held on the 1.2 mile Levin Circuit.

#4 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:41

The 1970 Levin race was the first under the second Tasman Formula, for cars with 5-litre stock-block engines or racing units under 2500cc. Chris Amon in a March 701 finished third

#5 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:04

Originally posted by David McKinney
The 1970 Levin race was the first under the second Tasman Formula, for cars with 5-litre stock-block engines or racing units under 2500cc. Chris Amon in a March 701 finished third

Are you sure (about Amon)?

#6 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 08:25

JANUARY 4, 1964 - Levin, New Zealand...Denis Hulme won the inaugural race in the Tasman Cup series, taking his Brabham BT7A to victory on the Levin Circuit. Correction: Hulme was in a BT4A corrected by David McKinney

1969 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Chris Amon drove a Ferrari 246T to victory in the New Zealand Grand Prix on the 2.2 mile Pukekohe circuit. The race opened the Tasman Cup series for 1969. Correction: 1.75 mile circuit at Pukekohe was used corrected by David McKinney

David, I had down that the 1970 race at Levin (January 3 entry) was the inaugural for the new Tasman Formula, but left it out in editing : So thanks for adding that.

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 10:05

Thanks for the prompt Roger
Amon was of course third in 1971

Jim,
Jack Brabham raced a BT7A in the 1964 Tasman Series but Hulme's mount was a BT4
Also, the Pukekohe layout used by 1969 was the shorter (1.75-mile) version

#8 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,184 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 13:08

You do realise there is already another ongoing thread along these lines?

On This Day In Motorsports History...

#9 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 14:09

I don't think anyone's said as much, but I think you'll find that one was for 2003, this is 2004

#10 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 13:53

Originally posted by dolomite

On This Day In Motorsports History...

Yes, considering I contributed to that thread - with some additions and corrections, and even filled in a few days - I'm quite aware of it ;) Though having completed the full year, I don't know that "On This Day In Motorsports History" will be ongoing - at least not in terms of entries.

Are you aware that many of Richard's entries originated with Michael Stucker's project, done in 1995...and that what I'm posting to this thread (warts and all :) ), was done by myself, also in 1995, before being aware of Michael Stucker's work (and likewise, him of mine). "This Date In Auto Racing" was originally posted to the GEnie network in 1995, re-posted on another internet service later and portions of it re-posted to a third.

There will be redundancy, of course, but both "On This Day In Motorsports History" and "This Date In Auto Racing" are different enough in content that they should peacefully co-exist. If I truly thought there was nothing more to add...I simply wouldn't bother. But there are plenty of differences.

As examples, "OTDIMH" has entries from post-1985, I have few in "TDIAR" for two reasons - one, basically following a minimum ten year rule and two, lack of detailed references for race re-caps post-1985 aside from NASCAR. "On This Day..." also has info on other forms of motor sports, where I stick to autos. "TDIAR" will feature more in depth race re-caps from earlier races, much the way "On This Day..." did for latter day events. And none of this is to slag or otherwise disparage Richard's work in putting "On This Day..." together. He did a great job :clap:

You also won't see any mention of Rick Mears getting into a fist fight while racing short track Stock Cars early in his career on "On This Day..." :D (well, other than when I brought it up)

Stay tuned!...corrections, comments and reminiscing all welcomed and encouraged.

#11 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 14:02

Thanks for the prompt Roger
Amon was of course third in 1971

Jim,
Jack Brabham raced a BT7A in the 1964 Tasman Series but Hulme's mount was a BT4
Also, the Pukekohe layout used by 1969 was the shorter (1.75-mile) version

David,

Thanks for the corrections, the entry has been amended and noted. I've noticed some source material errors on Tasman cars. One I posted to the "On This Day..." thread was spotted as well.

Jim Thurman

#12 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 14:10

JANUARY 5, 1965 - Daytona Beach, Florida, USA...NASCAR Grand National driver Billy Wade died when his Mercury crashed during Goodyear tire tests at Daytona International Speedway. The 34 year old Wade, a native of Houston, Texas was the 1963 GN Rookie of the Year and had emerged as a rising star on the NASCAR scene after moving to the Bud Moore prepared factory Mercury team. Wade scored a then record four straight wins on his way to finishing 4th in season points in 1964. Reportedly, Wade was earning $200 a day for the tests to develop a tire inner liner.

1974 - Levin, New Zealand...Johnnie Walker drove his Holden-Repco powered Lola T330 to victory in the opening round of the 1974 Tasman Cup series.

1975 - Levin, New Zealand...Graeme Lawrence drove a Lola T332 to victory in the opening round of the 1975 Tasman Cup series. It was Lawrence's first Tasman Cup race win since a victory in 1970 on the same 1.2 mile Levin circuit.

#13 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 14:54

Originally posted by dolomite

As just mentioned, and seeing as Jim was the second most populating poster on that thread, I am also sure ;)

While I would like to incorporate this info into the other thread, I don't know if there will be time for me this year... Perhaps Don can offer a solution to incorporate these works once Jim's work has been completed. This, not to detract of course from Jim's independent efforts... I'm sure we are all aware of who the real historian is. :) However, those additions will further complete the daily picture.

I don't think anyone's said as much, but I think you'll find that one was for 2003, this is 2004

Well, not exactly...

When I started that thread, it was primarily for entertainment, to verify much of the Internet based information collected on a day-to-day basis and act as an on-going reference for each day... not just 2003. History moves on and so these threads will always be an ongoing work in progress, as I'm sure Jim will attest.

I had already made updates with additions and corrections even before Jim started his TDIAR Thread.

Best of luck in keeping with your schedule Jim and I look forward to seeing your original work in the New Year.

:cool:

#14 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:08

Originally posted by rdrcr

When I started that thread, it was primarily for entertainment, to verify much of the Internet based information collected on a day-to-day basis and act as an on-going reference for each day... not just 2003. History moves on and so these threads will always be an ongoing work in progress, as I'm sure Jim will attest.

I had already made updates with additions and corrections even before Jim started his TDIAR Thread.

Best of luck in keeping with your schedule Jim and I look forward to seeing your original work in the New Year.

Thanks Richard :up: I'll echo what you wrote...by posting my original work, I'm looking to fine tune what I have, making corrections and additions along the way and hopefully, entertain TNF readers in the process. TDIAR was supposed to be an ongoing project, but hasn't on gone too much since early 1996.

Jim Thurman

#15 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 13:02

JANUARY 6, 1968 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Chris Amon drove his Ferrari 246T to victory in the New Zealand Grand Prix on the Pukekohe circuit. The race opened the annual Tasman Cup series. Front row starters Amon and Jim Clark both made last minute tire switches. Clark switched from Firestones to Dunlops going to the grid and Amon was on Goodyears as his Firestones had not arrived. Clark got the jump on the start only to lose the lead when the engine coughed momentarily on his shift to second. Clark tucked into Amon's slipstream on the back straight, pulling around near the end of the straight to regain the lead. Frank Gardner, Pedro Rodriguez and Denis Hulme trailed. Clark was in the same Lotus 49, fitted with a 2.5 liter Ford motor, that he'd won the '67 Dutch and U.S. GPs in. Plagued by faulty electrics and fuel starvation all practice, Bruce McLaren slowed by lap 10, pitted on lap 13 and retired a lap later. Despite the practice woes, it was a burned out clutch that parked McLaren's 2.5 liter BRM V12. Driving the same BRM that Jackie Stewart took to victory the year before, Rodriguez ran well in 4th and fought off a determined Hulme. Then Rodriguez was chopped off at the hairpin by a back marker that had let Gardner through, the result affecting the BRM's steering. After losing a lap in the pits, Rodriguez continued more slowly with damaged steering until retiring at half distance. Amon had constantly stayed in close pursuit of Clark and had begun closing when Clark stopped on the 45th of 58 laps, apparently from a dropped valve. Late in the race, Hulme, in a brilliant and forceful drive in his F2 Brabham-Ford, was closing on the 2.5 liter Brabham-Alfa of Gardner, who was losing revs due to a failing battery. Hulme was attempting to lap Laurence Brownlie's 1.5 liter Brabham-Ford for the fifth time when the two touched going onto the backstraight. Further down the long straight and going about 130 mph, Hulme tried to get by on the inside and the two touched again, sending Hulme's car into the air and rolling several times and Brownlie's end for end. Hulme was taken to hospital with a concussion and facial lacerations while Brownlie suffered a broken leg and foot. Amon went on to cross the line 37.7 seconds ahead of Gardner with Piers Courage 3rd in a 1.6 liter McLaren-Ford F2.

1973 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...John McCormack drove an Elfin MR5-Holden/Repco to victory in the 22nd running of the New Zealand Grand Prix. The race on the 1.75 mile Pukekohe circuit opened the annual Tasman Cup series. Two chicanes had been installed in hopes of lessening accidents on the high speed sections, the result slowing the pole speed 10.9 seconds from the year before (pole winner Matich did a 1:07.6). Organizers decided on a rolling start, and with such a short distance between the final chicane and start line, when the flag flew before the front row was even halfway down the normal grid, everyone except Matich was caught by surprise. McRae reacted next while the rest of the field frantically reached for gears and temporary confusion broke out (described as "the most unorganized start ever seen"). Matich went into the first turn 10 lengths ahead of McRae. Matich clipped a chicane kerbing with his right front wheel and McRae powered out of the sharp right hander and pulled alongside when third starting McCormack zapped right between the two to take the lead. The front trio had already opened a gap on the rest of the field. By the next lap, McCormack was leading McRae and Max Stewart as Matich slipped down the order before rolling into the pits at the end of the lap to have his steering checked. One lap later, third running Max Stewart limped in with his right front wheel askew, having also run afoul of one of the new chicanes. McCormack lost third gear on lap 8, but his lap times hardly showed the loss and McRae didn't close immediately. McRae began making his move on lap 11, gaining a half second a lap until the 17th lap, when the two ran nose to tail. Kevin Bartlett, who'd driven into a comfortable 3rd, rolled into the pits with no power, which moved Alan Rollinson into the spot, 31 seconds behind McRae. On the following lap, McRae pitted with a flat and lost 2 laps, moving Rollinson to 2nd. On lap 27, Matich returned to the pits for a lengthy stay with suspension and steering troubles. On lap 29, Rollinson was 17 seconds back of McCormack, but put on a charge that saw him cut the margin to 3 seconds in 11 laps! McRae briefly returned to 3rd before pitting with a dropped valve. At the checkered flag, McCormack was 6 seconds ahead of Rollinson's McRae GM1. Steve Thompson was a lap back in 3rd in a Chevron B24 and McRae managed to finish 4th, 2 laps down. American Sam Posey retired while 4th and Evan Noyes was plagued with overheating. After the race, Rollinson explained that something had blistered his backside, even showing the assembled press corps exactly where his blisters were! It was later reported that McCormack had misplaced replacement front brake discs, so he had a new set overnighted from Australia. When those were found missing from customs, the team searched for hours until tracking down a clerk in an Auckland suburb who had taken them home, planning to deliver them to the circuit the next morning.

#16 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 22:39

JANUARY 7, 1967 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Jackie Stewart drove his B.R.M. P261 to victory in the New Zealand Grand Prix Tasman Cup series race on the Pukekohe circuit.

#17 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 23:34

JANUARY 8, 1956 - Ft. Wayne, Indiana, USA...The first auto race sanctioned by the United States Auto Club (USAC) took place. The indoor Midget race at the Allen County Coliseum was won by Gene Hartley.

1966 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Graham Hill drove his B.R.M. P261 to victory in the New Zealand Grand Prix on the Pukekohe circuit. The race opened the annual Tasman Cup series.

1972 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Driving a Lola T330, Frank Gardner won the New Zealand International Grand Prix on the Pukekohe circuit. The race was the opening round of the Tasman Cup series.

#18 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 06:52

Catch-up time
First, a couple of additions to existing posts

6/1/68 NZ Grand Prix - world champion Hulme was badly injured in a collision with a slower car
8/1/72 NZ Grand Prix - Bryan Faloon was killed in a collision with Graeme Lawrence, who was hospitalised with serious injuries

And some additional races (with apologies to Barrry Lake for my use of the present tense. That’s how I’ve done them in my records and - sorry - it seems more natural to me)

JANUARY 5, 1963 - The Pukekohe circuit is inaugurated with the staging of the NZ Grand Prix, won by Surtees (Lola-Climax Mk4) after most of the other favourites retire. Chris Amon (Cooper T53) wins the Pukekohe Championship supporting race.

JANUARY 6, 1962 - In pouring rain, Stirling Moss (Lotus 21) wins the last NZ Grand Prix to be held on the Ardmore airfield circuit

JANUARY 7, 1956 - Stirling Moss (Maserati 250F) wins the NZ Grand Prix at Ardmore

1961 - The field the NZ Grand Prix at Ardmore is almost to world championship standards, with works teams from Cooper, Lotus and BRM plus private entries from the Rob Walker and Yeoman Credit teams. Works Cooper drivers Jack Brabham and Bruce McLaren take the first two places

JANUARY 8, 1955 - Bira in a Maserati 250F wins the NZ Grand Prix at Ardmore

#19 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:04

JANUARY 9, 1915 - San Diego, California, USA...Earl Cooper won the AAA Point Loma road race in a Stutz. The 305 mile race was run in a time of 4 hours, 40 minutes and 10 seconds.

1965 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Graham Hill drove a Brabham BT11A to victory in the Tasman Cup New Zealand Grand Prix on the Pukekohe circuit.

1971 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Niel Allen piloted a McLaren M10B to victory in the New Zealand Grand Prix, part of the Tasman Cup series.

1972 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...After a tragic debut in the previous year's event, the Ferrari 312P prototype dominated the Buenos Aires 1000 Kilometers. The race was round 1 of the 1972 World Sports Car Championship. In their first drive for Ferrari, the team of Ronnie Peterson and Tim Schenken took the victory by nearly a lap. The winners covered the 1000 kilometer distance in 5 hours, 45 minutes for an average speed of 108 mph. Not only was it the first win for the 312P, but Clay Regazzoni and Brian Redman drove a team car to second and only minor mechanical problems with the Jackie Ickx/Mario Andretti car prevented a 1-2-3 sweep for the 312P.

1977 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...Taking the lead when defending World Champion James Hunt had an accident with six laps left, Jody Scheckter won the Argentine GP driving a Wolf. It was the first race for the Wolf team. Hunt dominated the race in his McLaren, taking the pole, setting fastest race lap and leading 21 of the 53 laps before the accident. Carlos Pace finished second in a Brabham-Alfa, 43 seconds behind Scheckter.

Advertisement

#20 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:31

Originally posted by Jim Thurman

1977 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...Taking the lead when defending World Champion James Hunt had an accident with six laps left, Jody Scheckter won the Argentine GP driving a Wolf. It was the first race for the Wolf team. Hunt dominated the race in his McLaren, taking the pole, setting fastest race lap and leading 21 of the 53 laps before the accident. Carlos Pace finished second in a Brabham-Alfa, 43 seconds behind Scheckter. [/B]

Completing the podium in 3rd Carlos Reutemann (Ferrari 312T2)... Was also Jody's 5th win...;)

Note also that Emmo arrived 4th with the Copersucar... :clap:

Mario Andretti Finished (almost as he abandonned 2 laps before) 5th with enough advance over Clay Regazzoni (Ensign) scoring the last point... :up:

Note that Mario took Gunnar Nilsson's car who was then DNS.... :(

#21 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 12:50

JANUARY 9, 1972 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...

1 – Ronnie Peterson & Tim Schenken – Ferrari 312P
2 – Clay Regazzoni & Brian Redman – Ferrari 312P
3 – Carlo Facetti & Andrea de Adamich – Alfa Romeo 33/3
4 – Vic Elford & Helmuth Marko – Alfa Romeo 33/3
5 – José Maria Juncadella & John Hine – Chevron B19
6 – Jorge de Bagration & Juan Fernandez – Porsche 908
7 – Gerard Larousse & Chris Craft – Lola T280
8 – Nicolas Bosch & John Bridges – Chevron B19
9 – Nino Vacarella & Carlos Pairetti – Alfa Romeo 33/3
10 – Jacky Ickx & Mario Andretti – Ferrari 312P

Posted Image

#22 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 21:40

David, thanks for posting the NZ dates :up:

fvebr, thanks for filling in details on the '77 Argentine GP (I have no idea why I left 3rd out, I usually at least try to include the podium) :up:

Panzani, thanks for the results from the 1000K race and the nice picture of the Peterson/Schenken car :up:

Jim Thurman

#23 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 21:46

JANUARY 10, 1970 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Frank Matich, driving a McLaren M10A, won the New Zealand Grand Prix on the 2.2 mile Pukekohe circuit. It marked the first NZGP run under Formula 5000 rules. Correction: race on 1.75 mile Pukekohe circuit. thanks to David McKinney

1971 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...The team of Jo Siffert and Derek Bell drove their Porsche to victory in a tragic Buenos Aires 1000 Kilometer World Sports Car Championship race. The race was marred by a bizarre accident that claimed the life of Ferrari driver Ignazio Giunti, who was at the wheel of the debuting Ferrari 312P. After running out of fuel, Jean-Pierre Beltoise began pushing his Matra back to the pits. Leader Giunti was attempting to lap a privately entered Ferrari when the duo came upon Beltoise, virtually in the middle of the track, pushing his car across the track. The first car got by, but screened by it, Giunti plowed into the stalled Matra as Beltoise dove for his life. Beltoise escaped injury, but Giunti's 312P, tumbled down the track and burst into flames. Beltoise was held responsible by Argentine authorities. After quickly fleeing the country, Beltoise was suspended by the French federation and had to face a battery of hearings before being acquitted.

1971 - Riverside, California, USA...1969 and '70 Western Grand National champion Ray Elder beat the NASCAR regulars to win the season opening 'Motor Trend 500' NASCAR Grand National race at Riverside International Raceway. Driving the family owned Dodge, Elder passed Bobby Allison with 12 laps left and went on to take the checkered flag 10.5 seconds ahead of Allison's Dodge. Benny Parsons finished third in the L.G. DeWitt Ford, two laps down. Elder, a hay and alfalfa farmer from Caruthers, California, started third and was the only car among the leaders on Firestone tires. The race also marked the first NASCAR GN race run under Winston sponsorship.

#24 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 21:53

This, not to detract of course from Jim's independent efforts... I'm sure we are all aware of who the real historian is. :) However, those additions will further complete the daily picture.

Richard, I'm not so sure about that myself...let's wait and see what happens after I post these! :D

Thanks though for the kind words.

Is anyone other than Richard, fvebr and David reading these?...

Or do I need Sticky: in front of this thread?

Jim Thurman

#25 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 22:45

Jim, I know you knew this -
Matich's 1970 Pukekohe win was on the 1.75-mile Pukekohe circuit :D

#26 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 23:54

Jim, I know you knew this -
Matich's 1970 Pukekohe win was on the 1.75-mile Pukekohe circuit :D

Well, I should have :D

Thanks David. I had very little go on with the Tasman races when I first did this...had I had time to revise and add much, at least I have good accounts to work from.

1.75, 1.75 :D ...ok, got it.

Jim Thurman

#27 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:47

January 9, 1954 - New Zealand’s first international motor race, the Auckland Grand Prix, takes place on the RNZAF airfield at Ardmore. Australian Stan Jones (Maybach Special) is surprise winner after British stars Ken Wharton (BRM V16) and Peter Whitehead (Ferrari V12) strike trouble.

1960 - Works Cooper drivers Jack Brabham and Bruce McLaren take the first two places in the NZ Grand Prix at Ardmore, half a second apart.

January 10, 1959 - the first three places in the NZ Grand Prix at Ardmore go to 2-litre Cooper-Climaxes, Stirling Moss winning from Jack Brabham and Bruce McLaren

January 11, 1958 - Jack Brabham in a 2-litre Cooper-Climax wins the NZ Grand Prix at Ardmore

#28 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:38

JANUARY 11, 1964 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Bruce McLaren drove his Climax powered Cooper T70 to victory in the New Zealand Grand Prix on the Pukekohe circuit. The race was the second round of the year's Tasman Cup for Formula cars up to 2.5 liters.

1969 - Levin, New Zealand...Chris Amon drove his Ferrari 246T to victory in round 2 of the Tasman Cup series, held on the 1.2 mile Levin circuit. It marked the second straight year Amon had won the first two rounds of the series.

1981 - Riverside, California, USA...Bobby Allison drove his Ranier Racing Chevy Monte Carlo to victory as the NASCAR season opened with the 'Western 500' at Riverside International Raceway. The race was 500 kilometers (311 miles) on the 2.62 mile road course. Allison took the lead from Terry Labonte with 15 laps left and went on to win by 1.73 seconds. The race was the last allowing full sized 115 inch wheelbase cars, beginning with Daytona all cars would be downsized to 110 inch wheelbase maximum. Darrell Waltrip made his first start for Junior Johnson Racing, as did Ricky Rudd with DiGard Racing. Waltrip won the pole and led the first three laps before sliding off the track. Later, mechanical trouble dropped Waltrip many laps down. Rudd ran in the top five all day until retiring with engine woes after 98 laps. Behind Allison and Labonte, Dale Earnhardt drove the Rod Osterlund Pontiac Grand Prix to third, the highest finisher of the downsized cars. Richard Childress was fourth and Richard Petty fifth. Petty Enterprises switched numbers for the race, placing #43 on Kyle's car, giving Kyle the Winner's Circle money. Richard had hoped to win with #42 on his car and get both cars on the Winner's Circle plan. After the race, NASCAR advised Petty Enterprises to switch the cars back to the original numbers.

#29 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:06

...let's wait and see what happens after I post these! :D

Thanks though for the kind words.

Is anyone other than Richard, fvebr and David reading these?...

You might see something in the next weeks... Keep going...

#30 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:35

First, thanks fvebr for the kind words and thanks for your contribution to the thread (and "On This Date..." as well), and continued thanks to David McKinney for the additional info from NZ :up:

JANUARY 12, 1936 - Oakland, California, USA...Al Gordon won the 150 mile AAA Pacific Coast Championship race at Oakland Speedway. 1933 AAA Pacific Coast champ Gordon averaged 81.4 mph in a Miller on the 1 mile banked dirt oval.

1957 - Ardmore, New Zealand...Reg Parnell won the New Zealand Grand Prix at the wheel of a Ferrari 555. Peter Whitehead finished 2nd, also in a Ferrari, while Stan Jones was 3rd in a Maserati. The event was run under pall after driver Ken Wharton died as a result of injuries suffered in an accident while leading a preliminary Sports Car race. The 40 year old Wharton, a garage owner from Smethwick, England, was a popular and versatile driver having won in trials, rallying and hillclimbing (where he won 4 consecutive British hillclimb titles) before concentrating on circuit racing. His best championship F1 finish came in his first start, the 1952 Swiss GP, where he placed 4th at the wheel of an ancient Frazer-Nash. He also drove a Cooper-Bristol, Maserati and Vanwall in championship F1 races as well as a driving a B.R.M. in many Formula Libre events. Despite his busy schedule, he tried some Sports Car racing, teaming with Peter Whitehead in a factory Jaguar to win the 1954 12 Hours of Reims.

1974 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Peter Gethin drove his Chevrolet powered Chevron B24 to victory in round 2 of the Tasman Cup series, held on the Pukekohe circuit.

1975 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Warwick Brown drove his Chevy powered Lola T332 to victory in the 24th running of the New Zealand Grand Prix, run on the Pukekohe circuit. The race
was round 2 of the 1975 Tasman Cup series.

1975 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...Taking the lead when James Hunt spun with 18 laps to go, Emerson Fittipaldi won the Argentine Grand Prix in a McLaren. Hunt recovered from the spin to finish second, 5.9 seconds back in his Hesketh with Carlos Reutemann finishing 3rd, 17 seconds back, in a Brabham. Jean-Pierre Jarier earned his first career pole position, but his Shadow broke a rear end during the warm-up lap and was unable to start. The Copersucar, Brazil's first, and so far only entry into F1, made it's debut with Wilson Fittipaldi driving.

#31 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:26

- Ardmore, New Zealand...Reg Parnell won the New Zealand Grand Prix at the wheel of a Ferrari 555. Peter Whitehead finished 2nd, also in a Ferrari, while Stan Jones was 3rd in a Maserati. The event was run under pall after driver Ken Wharton died as a result of injuries suffered in an accident while leading a preliminary Sports Car race. The 40 year old Wharton, a garage owner from Smethwick, England, was a popular and versatile driver having won in trials, rallying and hillclimbing (where he won 4 consecutive British hillclimb titles) before concentrating on circuit racing. His best championship F1 finish came in his first start, the 1952 Swiss GP, where he placed 4th at the wheel of an ancient Frazer-Nash. He also drove a Cooper-Bristol, Maserati and Vanwall in championship F1 races as well as a driving a B.R.M. in many Formula Libre events. Despite his busy schedule, he tried some Sports Car racing, teaming with Peter Whitehead in a factory Jaguar to win the 1954 12 Hours of Reims.

Some other historical notes that distinguished the race: It was held over its final course layout for the first time, an exact two miles with the slow hairpin at the end of Hanger Straight, and it was set initially on a time basis, three hours, changed subsequently to 240 miles compared with the 210 miles of the previous races.

Parnell and the inevitable Peter Whitehead were racing for the Scuderia Ambrosiana in two Ferraris, the notorious, or famous, Super-Squalo filled with the larger 3½-litre motor for the New Zealand Formula Libre race in place of the 2½-litre Formula 1. Otherwise the leaders were a Maserati field, Horace Gould, Jack Brabham, Stan Jones and Reg Hunt all entering 250F models, Brabham's and Hunt's with disc brakes.

In the event, however, Brabham elected to drive his Formula II Cooper in the big race rather than the Maserati, while Hunt retired from the sport, selling his car (already in New Zealand) on the eve of the event, to Bib Stillwell, who flew over for his first drive in the event.

Finally, a "mystery" Formula II Cooper turned up, sent to New Zealand by British driver Alan McKay, but not entered in time. Then McKay arrived, with a damaged hand which would have prevented him from driving in any case, and sportingly handed it over to New Zealander Alex Stringer, who justified the choice by finishing the course safely.

1974 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Peter Gethin drove his Chevrolet powered Chevron B24 to victory in round 2 of the Tasman Cup series, held on the Pukekohe circuit.

John McCormack from Australia in his Elfin MR5 / Repco was 2nd and David Oxton from New Zealand in a Begg FM5 / Chevrolet completed the podium. The only three drivers to finish on the same lap.

1975 - Pukekohe, New Zealand...Warwick Brown drove his Chevy powered Lola T332 to victory in the 24th running of the New Zealand Grand Prix, run on the Pukekohe circuit. The race
was round 2 of the 1975 Tasman Cup series.

Are you sure that wasn't the 22nd running?
;)
New Zealander, Jim Murdoch in a Begg 018 / Chevrolet and Graeme Lawrence also from NZ in a Lola T332 were a lap down filling the 2nd and 3rd spots respectively.

#32 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:19

Some misconceptions there, rdrcr
•The circuit used at Ardmore for all GPs, ie from 1954 to 1962, was identical. Races were run anti-clockwise the first two years, clockwise thereafter. The hairpin remained in place throughout
•I don't believe the Hunt/Stillwell 250F had disc brakes
•Stringer's mount was Wharton's F2 Cooper
•Mackay's Cooper, which did not start, was was a T39 sportscar

#33 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:00

JANUARY 12, 1963 - Brabham gave his new Brabham make an early success when he won the Hudson Trophy race at Levin, New Zealand, from Tony Maggs (Lola) and Innes Ireland (Ferguson).

#34 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 18:14

Some misconceptions there, rdrcr
•The circuit used at Ardmore for all GPs, ie from 1954 to 1962, was identical. Races were run anti-clockwise the first two years, clockwise thereafter. The hairpin remained in place throughout
•I don't believe the Hunt/Stillwell 250F had disc brakes
•Stringer's mount was Wharton's F2 Cooper
•Mackay's Cooper, which did not start, was was a T39 sportscar

Perhaps I was misreading... and/or it was erroneously reported. Also, I may have confused the Sportscar race also described on the page... and that is what I was making the reference to.

Seems more plausible in that context? My source was under the wink smilie.

#35 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:08

First, thanks to fvebr for his contributions (and words) and to David McKinney for posting the NZ info :up:

Are you sure that wasn't the 22nd running?
;)

Oops, that error was all mine :blush: ...I ran out of fingers and toes apparently :lol: Seriously, I obviously miscounted on that one. Thanks for pointing that out Richard.

#36 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:18

JANUARY 13, 1957 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...Juan Manuel Fangio won the Argentine GP in a Maserati. Including a co-drive to victory in 1956, it was the fourth straight win for Fangio in his home GP. Fangio averaged 80 mph for the 3 hour/100 lap race over the 2.42 mile Buenos Aires Autodrome circuit. Fangio took the checkered flag 18.3 seconds ahead of Jean Behra, also in a Maserati. Joakim Bonnier and Wolfgang von Trips made their GP debuts.

1968 - Levin, New Zealand...Native son Chris Amon made it two for two in '68 Tasman Cup races, driving his Ferrari to victory in the 'Levin International' on the 1.2 mile Levin circuit. Amon was driving a Ferrari 246T F2 chassis powered by a 2.4 liter Dino V6 engine specifically designed for the Tasman series. Frank Gardner turned the fastest lap in practice, but Jim Clark won the pole by virtue of the fastest race lap in one of the two 14 lap preliminary races. Amon joined them to make up the front row. Gardner got the best start and took the lead in his unique Brabham-Alfa. The car was a "one off" chassis somewhere between a F1 and F2 with the rear section designed to allow fitting of a Alfa Tipo 33 sports car engine bored out to 2.5 liters. Clark moved his 2.5 liter Ford powered Lotus 49 past Gardner early on the 5th lap. On lap 14, a front wheel locked up on Clark at the hairpin and the Lotus shot off onto the grass. Gardner went into the lead again, but before completing the lap, he spun coming onto the front straight, damaging the suspension and forcing his retirement (later Gardner candidly said "it was a straight driving error"). Gardner's retirement gave Amon a good lead over Pedro Rodriguez and Clark. On lap 17, Clark moved by Rodriguez to take 2nd. By lap 31, Clark had made up most of the lost ground when he clipped a track marker while going around the outside of a back marker. On the next lap, Clark came into the pits with a bent right rear radius arm and retired. Amon now led Rodriguez and Bruce McLaren and with the electrical and fuel starvation problems that plagued them in the opening round absent, it appeared like the BRM V12s would come home in 2nd and 3rd. But on lap 40, Rodriguez' car was obviously ailing and he pitted a lap later with a air lock in the fuel injection. Just another lap later, Piers Courage took his 1.6 liter F2 McLaren-Ford past McLaren's evidently ailing car. 4 laps later, McLaren retired with the same problem as Rodriguez while Pedro ran 4 more laps and made two more stops before retiring. Amon went on to cross the line 50.3 seconds ahead of Courage with Jim Palmer finishing 3rd, 3 laps back in his 1.6 liter McLaren-Ford. After two rounds, the Tasman series standings had Amon with 18 and Courage with 10. Defending World Champion Denis Hulme missed the race after failing to get medical clearance following his accident in the opening round the week before.

1973 - Levin, New Zealand...Graham McRae won round 2 of the annual Tasman Cup series, held on the Levin circuit.

1974 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...Denis Hulme won the Argentine Grand Prix in his McLaren. Niki Lauda of Austria finished second, 9.2 seconds back, in a Ferrari, with Lauda's teammate Clay Regazzoni coming home 3rd. The win was the 8th and final career F1 win for 1967 World Champion driver Hulme, who retired from F1 at the end of the 1974 season.

1980 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...Alan Jones won the Argentine GP in a Williams. Jones was the pole winner and led 46 of the 53 laps, taking the checkered flag 24 seconds ahead of the Brabham of Nelson Piquet with Keke Rosberg coming home 3rd in a Fittipaldi. Alain Prost made his GP debut in a McLaren and finished 6th, earning a point in his first start.

#37 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:14

JANUARY 13, 1962 - For the second week in a row, rain mars an international NZ race, this time at Levin. Stirling Moss drives a Cooper but is still second, behind Jack Brabham’s similar car, when the race is stopped after only eight laps. Bruce McLaren in the prototype Mini-Cooper wins the saloon final

#38 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:05

JANUARY 14, 1967 - Levin, New Zealand...Jim Clark drove a Lotus-Climax to victory in the 'Wills International' Tasman Cup race on the Levin circuit. The race was round 2 of the 1967 Tasman Cup series.

1968 - Irwindale, California, USA...Second generation driver Billy Vukovich won the 30 lap USAC Sprint Car race on the 1/2 mile paved San Gabriel Valley Speedway. George Snider finished 2nd and Johnny Rutherford 3rd. The race opened a 35 race season for the USAC Sprints.

1979 - Riverside, California, USA...Darrell Waltrip beat the rain to win the season opening 'Western 500' NASCAR Grand National race at Riverside International Raceway. Waltrip led the final 14 laps in his DiGard Racing Chevrolet Monte Carlo, taking the checkered flag 3 seconds ahead of David Pearson in the Wood Brothers Mercury. Thunder clapped and rain began to fall in the closing laps. Cale Yarborough, West Coast driver Bill Schmitt and polesitter Donnie Allison rounded out the top five.

#39 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:03

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim Thurman
JANUARY 13, 1957 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...Juan Manuel Fangio won the Argentine GP in a Maserati. Including a co-drive to victory in 1956, it was the fourth straight win for Fangio in his home GP. Fangio averaged 80 mph for the 3 hour/100 lap race over the 2.42 mile Buenos Aires Autodrome circuit. Fangio took the checkered flag 18.3 seconds ahead of Jean Behra, also in a Maserati. Joakim Bonnier and Wolfgang von Trips made their GP debuts.[QUOTE]

3h and 55sec ;)

Carlos Menditeguy (Maserati)Finished 3rd one lap behind

2 Laps behind and in the points also:

4->Schell (Maserati)
5->Gonzalez/De Portago (Ferrari)
6->VonTrips/Collins/Perdisa (Ferrari)

Flying lap by Moss (Maserati)

1974 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...Denis Hulme won the Argentine Grand Prix in his McLaren. Niki Lauda of Austria finished second, 9.2 seconds back, in a Ferrari, with Lauda's teammate Clay Regazzoni coming home 3rd. The win was the 8th and final career F1 win for 1967 World Champion driver Hulme, who retired from F1 at the end of the 1974 season[QUOTE]

4th Hailwood (Mclaren)
5th Beltoise (BRM)
6th Depailler (Tyrrell)

Flying lap Regazzoni (Ferrari)

1980 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...Alan Jones won the Argentine GP in a Williams. Jones was the pole winner and led 46 of the 53 laps, taking the checkered flag 24 seconds ahead of the Brabham of Nelson Piquet with Keke Rosberg coming home 3rd in a Fittipaldi. Alain Prost made his GP debut in a McLaren and finished 6th, earning a point in his first start.[QUOTE]

4th Daly (Tyrrell)
5th Giacomelli (Alfa-Romeo)

Flying Lap Jones (Williams)

Advertisement

#40 bkalb

bkalb

• 139 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:59

January 14, 1990 - The "Favourite Amon Stories" thread was started on TNF. (It seems like it's been going that long, at any rate.)

Barry Kalb

#41 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,258 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 15:19

January 15, 1984... is it really twenty years ago?

Michael Lance, one of the most determined drivers I've ever seen, lowered himself into his F5000 Lola T400 at Oran Park.

The car had been his for some six weeks... he had prepared it and painted it in his colours for this day... the car had formerly been the John Wright car that had almost won the Australian Grand Prix of 1979.

The plan was just a few laps... it was the realisation of a dream long held. To drive a F5000!

Just a few laps, nothing silly, feel the power, steer it gently... five laps. Michael wasn't about to do anything silly, nor to bring any shame upon himself or his fellows. His brother, David, was there helping him tend the car... Charlie was there too, and other family members and friends. This was a big day in the life of Michael Lance.

After five laps he pulled in, delighted with things. His arms were sore, but that was okay... David and Charlie helped him out of the car... lifted him up and helped him stand uneasily on solid ground... then somebody administered the morpheine that his body had been denied over these last pain-wracked weeks.

The all too short weeks since the doctors had told him he had no chance of beating the melanoma that had first been found in his leg back in May. The all too few weeks since he gave up his job in the bank... since he resigned himself to his fate.

Since his wife, who had left him four or five years before, rang him and told him she shouldn't have gone and that she still loved him...

Since he told me of his fate.

When the morpheine kicked in he lost the pain, but not the euphoria of having realised his ambition to drive a F5000 car. It had taken all the money he had in the world to get it there, but what was money now?

January 17, 1984... is it really twenty years ago?

Michael Lance died.

#42 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 15:31

JANUARY 15, 1956 - La Jolla, California, USA...Masten Gregory drove a Maserati to victory in a one hour Sports Car race on the Torrey Pines circuit. Gregory averaged 72.9 mph over the 2.7 mile Torrey Pines circuit, that used public roads in an undeveloped area North of San Diego. It became the site of a municipal golf course.

1966 - Levin, New Zealand...Richard Attwood drove his BRM P261 to victory in the Tasman Cup round on the Levin circuit. The race was round 2 of the 1966 series for Formula machines up to 2.5 liters.

1972 - Levin, New Zealand...Graham McRae drove his McRae GM1 to victory in the Tasman Cup series race on the 1.2 mile Levin circuit.

1978 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...Mario Andretti won the pole and led all 52 laps in a Lotus to win the Argentine Grand Prix by 13 seconds over Niki Lauda. Patrick Depailler's Tyrell finished 3rd just four-tenths of a second behind Lauda, who was making his first start for the Brabham team. James Hunt (McLaren), Ronnie Peterson (Lotus) and Patrick Tambay (McLaren) rounded out the point earners while Gilles Villeneuve (Ferrari) turned the fastest race lap.

#43 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:49

JANUARY 16, 1955 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...In what might have been the highest temperatures a F1 championship GP was contested, Juan Fangio won the Argentine GP in a Mercedes. Due to the excessive heat, only locals Fangio and 5th finisher Roberto Mieres completed the entire 233 miles without relief drivers. Some cars had three different drivers and some drivers drove relief in more than one car. The Ferrari of Giuseppe Farina/Froilan Gonzales/Maurice Trintignant finished 1 minute, 30 seconds behind, with the Ferrari driven by Umberto Maglioli/Farina/Trintignant in third. Only 7 of the 21 starters finished the 3 hour race.

1965 - Levin, New Zealand...Jim Clark drove his Lotus-Climax to victory in round 2 of the 1965 Tasman Cup series for Formula cars up to 2.5 liters, held on the Levin circuit.

1971 - Wigram, New Zealand...Graham McRae drove his Chevrolet powered McLaren M10B to victory in the annual 'Lady Wigram Trophy' race on the Wigram airfield circuit. The race was the 3rd round of the 1971 Tasman Cup series. It was McRae's 2nd series win of the season, having earlier won at Levin.

1977 - Riverside, California, USA...Taking the lead when Cale Yarborough spun with 16 laps to go, David Pearson went on to win the season opening 'Western 500' NASCAR Grand National race at Riverside International Raceway. It was the 2nd straight win in the race for Pearson, who averaged 107 mph on the 2.62 mile road course in the Wood Brothers Mercury. Yarborough had taken the lead on the 2nd lap and was 5 seconds ahead of Pearson when he spun in turn 8 on the 103rd lap. Pearson went on to win by 9 seconds with Yarborough second in the Junior Johnson Chevy and Richard Petty third, one lap down in the Petty Dodge. Roger Penske's new driver, Dave Marcis was fourth in Penske's first race fielding a Chevrolet. GN West driver Sonny Easley was 5th in a Ford, while owner-driver Richard Childress finished sixth. In his first race since leaving the Penske team, owner-driver Bobby Allison's AMC Matador blew a motor in a ball of flame on lap 3 and GN West driver Jim Insolo turned in another great qualifying effort, starting 4th, but blew his engine on lap 4. 60,000 fans were on hand as the race was shortened to 500km, 311.78 miles for the first time.

#44 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:44

JANUARY 14, 1956 - the 1-mile Levin circuit in New Zealand opens, but racing is marred by the track breaking up. Tom Clark (Maserati 8CM) wins the main race

1961 - international racing returns to Levin for the first time since 1958, and Joakim Bonnier wins the Hudson Trophy race in a Yeoman Credit Cooper from Jim Clark (Lotus) and Denis Hulme (Cooper)

JANUARY 16, 1960 Denis Hulme wins the Hudson Trophy race at Levin, inflicting a rare defeat on circuit specialist Syd Jensen, both in 2-litre Coopers

#45 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 02:05

Ray, thanks for that moving story on Michael Lance :up:

David, thanks for the continued posting of NZ history :up:

Barry K, thanks for noting a momentous date in TNF history. I'm sure Keir can incorporate it :lol:

#46 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 02:37

JANUARY 17, 1954 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...Juan Manuel Fangio survived a protest to win the Formula One Argentine Grand Prix in a Maserati 250F, the first championship GP for the new 2.5 liter formula. Defending World Champion Alberto Ascari was absent, having signed with Lancia, whose car was not ready. Fangio had signed with Mercedes, and they weren't close to debuting either, so he lined up the 250F for his home GP. 1950 World Champion Giuseppe Farina started from pole and jumped into the lead ahead of Fangio, Mike Hawthorn and Froilan Gonzalez. On lap 5, Gonzalez passed Hawthorn, passing Fangio 3 laps later for second. By lap 15, Gonzalez moved into the lead, and with Hawthorn having passed Fangio as well, Ferraris ran 1-2-3 and were in complete command. But, on lap 32, heavy rain began falling suddenly and Gonzalez spun on the slick track, dropping to 4th before getting things sorted out. Farina pitted for a visor to move Hawthorn into the lead, though only for 2 laps before Fangio regained the front spot. Soon, Hawthorn spun as well, falling to 4th behind Farina and Gonzalez. In short order, the rain stopped and Gonzalez and Farina both caught and passed Fangio only to have a lengthier rain come down. Superior in the wet, Fangio re-passed both to regain the lead. Hawthorn spun again, this time being disqualified for receiving outside help. With conditions worsening, Fangio pitted on lap 61 for some special "cut" rain tires. Ferrari team manager Nello Ugolini filed a protest that more than the allowed three mechanics had worked on the Maserati. Confident that his protest would be upheld, Ugolini signalled both Farina and Gonzalez to slow down. Fangio passed both with relative ease and went on to finish 1 minute, 19 seconds ahead of Farina. Despite Ugolini arguing with officials and taking his protest to the FIA, it was turned down. Gonzalez finished 3rd and Maurice Trintignant (Ferrari) 4th, both 1 lap down and Elie Bayol rounded out the point earners, two laps down in a Gordini.

1965 - Riverside, California, USA...Dan Gurney took his 3rd straight 'Motor Trend 500' NASCAR Grand National win at Riverside International Raceway. Gurney drove the Wood Brothers Ford into the lead to stay with 55 laps left, coming home 27 seconds ahead of Junior Johnson's Ford. Marvin Panch finished one lap down in third, also in a Ford. No factory Dodges or Plymouths were entered by Chrysler Corporation in protest of NASCAR's new rules for 1965 banning their hemi engine. With 16 laps to go, A.J. Foyt was attempting to overtake Johnson for second when his brakes failed at the end of the mile long backstraight. Rather than hit Johnson and the turn 9 wall, Foyt steered off an infield drop off, sending his Ford on a series of end over end flips. Foyt suffered a broken back and fractured left heel in the crash. Ned Jarrett ran with the leaders until his Ford burst into flames during a pit stop on lap 94. The safety crew quickly extinguished the fire and no one was injured. A crowd of 61,474 watched Gurney average 87.708 mph on the 2.62 mile road course. Racing on his international license, Gurney was ineligible for NASCAR points, making Johnson the points leader.

1970 - Wigram, New Zealand...Frank Matich drove a Chevrolet powered McLaren M10A to victory in the 'Lady Wigram Trophy' race, part of the annual Tasman Cup series. Matich's 2nd straight win came in the 3rd round of the 1970 series.

#47 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 06:14

JANUARY 17, 1930 - Australian Norman ‘Wizard’ Smith in his 20-litre Anzac averages 148.637mph over ten miles, a new world record for the distance, at Ninety Mile Beach in New Zealand

1959 - Cooper-Climax drivers Bruce McLaren and Syd Jensen battle out the Hudson Trophy race at Levin, NZ, with the older man winning after his rival goes off with a sticking throttle.

#48 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 09:11

JANUARY 18, 1953 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...For the first time, a Formula One championship Grand Prix was held outside of Europe, the inaugural 'Grand Prix of Argentina' taking place on the 2.43 mile No. 2 layout of the Autodromo de Octubre 17 circuit. To kick off the '53 season, both Maserati and Ferrari had revised driver line-ups. Ferrari, having been impressed with Mike Hawthorn's drives the year before, signed the young English driver to join Alberto Ascari, Giuseppe Farina and Luigi 'Gigi' Villoresi, who replaced Piero Taruffi. The most welcome sight was Juan Manuel Fangio's return following a long convalescence from his crash at Monza the previous year. He was driving for Maserati, joined by Froilan Gonzalez, Felice Bonetto and, for this race, fellow local hero Oscar Galvez. Enormous crowds were on hand, the entire circuit overflowing with humanity which caused great concern among the drivers. The organizers were adamant that the police had everything under control though and the race started only 4 minutes late. After an initial surge by Villoresi, Ascari led into turn 1 with Gonzalez and Fangio battling for 2nd. On lap 2, Fangio overtook his teammate and countryman Gonzalez for 2nd and Villoresi made a quick pit stop that cost him several positions. Repeating his 1952 championship winning form, Ascari began pulling out a second a lap. On lap 32, a spectator ran across the track in front of Farina and in trying to avoid him, the '50 World Champion lost control of his Ferrari and ran off into a throng of spectators. Farina escaped injury, but 15 spectators died and several more were badly injured. Almost total chaos broke out with people running across the circuit, but the race continued in the confusion. Almost unnoticed in all of this was Fangio's retirement on lap 36 with a broken universal joint. In a superb drive, Robert Manzon had moved his Gordini to 2nd ahead of Villoresi, who had charged back from his early stop. Manzon pitted for new tires on lap 43, but difficulty in removing a wheel cost him more than 2 minutes. He returned in 6th, driving hard as usual until the 68th lap when the left rear wheel flew off. Fortunately, Manzon was able to bring the Gordini in, but unfortunately the wheel flew into the spectators, injuring even more. During the late stages of the 3 hour race, Gonzalez moved into 2nd, only to relinquish it back to Villoresi when making a pit stop for fuel and tires. Ascari motored on, completing 97 laps at an average of 78.13 mph in taking the 9th win of his career. Villoresi crossed the line a lap behind and Gonzalez was 3rd. More remarkably, the win was Ascari's 7th straight in championship GPs dating back a year. Ascari's 9 wins to that point had come in his last 10 championship GP starts, dating back to late '51. And Ascari had won 9 of the last 11 GPs, having skipped the '52 Swiss GP to race at Indy.

1964 - Wigram, New Zealand...Bruce McLaren drove his Cooper-Climax to victory in the 'Lady Wigram Trophy' Tasman Cup race on the Wigram airfield circuit. The win was the 2nd straight in the Tasman Cup series for McLaren.

1969 - Wigram, New Zealand...Jochen Rindt drove a Lotus 49B-Ford to the win in the 'Lady Wigram Trophy' Tasman Cup race.

1970 - Riverside, California, USA...A.J. Foyt won the 'Motor Trend 500' NASCAR Grand National race at Riverside International Raceway in a Ford. Taking the lead with 25 laps to go when Parnelli Jones retired with clutch failure, Foyt went on to take the checkered 3.5 seconds ahead of a rapidly closing Roger McCluskey in a Plymouth Super Bird. Two drivers were badly injured in separate crashes. Runner-up for '69 Rookie of the Year, Buddy Young lost control on oil from a blown engine and flipped wildly end over end going into turn 1. The 27 year old driver, making his first start for the L.G. DeWitt team, suffered a concussion and internal injuries. 48 year old West Coast veteran Jim Cook was critically injured when his Ford went head-on into the end of the concrete crashwall in turn 9, the impact so great that the car was nearly bent into a 'U' shape with the front and rear bumpers nearly touching the ground. Jones qualified at a record 113.310 mph, but was forced to start near the rear following a ruling that his tires were illegal. Jones, a Firestone dealer, had qualified on tires which NASCAR officials ruled were not available in sufficient quantity to make them eligible for competition. Jones and several other drivers were moved to the back. After starting 35th, Jones charged through the field. Upon coming by the main grandstand to lead lap 43, Jones stuck his arm out the driver's side window of his Mercury and emphatically gestured toward the press box, where NASCAR officials were assembled (an account at the time had Parnelli "letting the NASCAR officials know what position he was in" :lol: ). Jones led a total of 85 laps and was in command when the clutch packed it in on his Wood Brothers entry. A crowd of 43,200 was on hand.

1976 - Riverside, California, USA...David Pearson drove the Wood Brothers Mercury to victory in the season opening NASCAR Grand National 'Western 500' at Riverside International Raceway. It was Pearson's first win on the 2.62 mile Riverside road course. Pearson led all but one of the final 79 laps, crossing the line 35.9 seconds ahead of 2nd place Cale Yarborough in the Junior Johnson Chevy. GN West driver Jim Insolo qualified surprisingly poor, but moved from 26th starting to finish 3rd. 6 time GN West champ Ray Elder was 4th in a Dodge. Bobby Allison won the pole and led early, but blew the motor in the Roger Penske AMC Matador. Allison returned to the race after the Penske crew changed engines in 63 minutes. Allison made a charge, but blew the second motor with 2 laps left, finishing 15th. Richard Petty returned from major stomach surgery, but blew the engine in his Dodge early in the race.

#49 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:55

JANUARY 18, 1958 - International drivers race at Levin in NZ for the first time. Jack Brabham (Cooper-Climax) wins the main libre race but only after a battle with Archie Scott-Brown’s Lister-Jaguar sportscar

#50 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 22:43

JANUARY 19, 1958 - Buenos Aires, Argentina...The 1958 Formula One season began with the Grand Prix of Argentina, a race in doubt until almost the last minute because the organizers were extremely short of cash. Vanwall and B.R.M. weren't ready, so the short entry was down to three factory Ferraris, Stirling Moss in Rob Walker's strong private Cooper and six privately entered Maseratis. Fangio put his Maserati on the pole with the Ferraris of Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins and the Maserati of Jean Behra making up the front row of the small grid. The starting field of 10 was the smallest in championship GP history. On the start, Behra shot into the lead while Collins' Ferrari instantly snapped it's driveshaft. Behra led the opening lap, but could not keep Hawthorn and Fangio at bay for long and on lap 2, Hawthorn took the lead with Fangio into 2nd 2 laps later. Defending and 4 time World Champion Fangio closed on Hawthorn and soon took the lead. As this was happening, it was Moss attracting the attention. After starting 7th (in row 2), Moss had moved his little rear engined Cooper past Musso, Behra and then Hawthorn. Hawthorn then pitted with falling oil pressure on lap 29, returning some positions back. With Moss closing, Fangio turned fastest race lap on the 30th round, but had to pit for new tires 2 laps later to give Moss the lead. Once out front, Moss began pulling away and 2nd running Behra spun away any chance he had at challenging. Shortly after halfway of the 80 lap race, Behra had to stop for tires and Fangio's engine sounded none too healthy, moving the Ferraris of Luigi Musso and Hawthorn to 2nd and 3rd. Moss eased up to preserve his tires, but with 20 laps to go, he still had a 33 second lead over Musso. The Ferrari pit was not that concerned as they felt certain Moss would have to stop for tires. Another 10 laps passed and then the Ferrari team put out a "faster" sign to Musso when they realized Moss was trying to go non-stop. Although Musso put up a great effort, it was too late as Moss went on to win by 2.7 seconds over the Ferrari with Hawthorn coming in 3rd. It marked the first time a championship GP had been won by a rear-engined car.

1964 - Riverside, California, USA...Dan Gurney drove a Wood Brothers Ford to his second straight win in the NASCAR Grand National 'Motor Trend 500' at Riverside International Raceway. Gurney took the lead for good on lap 54 of the 185 lap race and finished a lap ahead of Marvin Panch with "Fireball" Roberts another lap back in 3rd, both drivers also in Fords. The race was marred by an accident that took the life of popular Joe Weatherly, '62 & '63 GN champion. A puff of smoke came from Weatherly's Bud Moore Mercury, the car lost traction and slid driver side first into the turn 6 boiler plate wall. Weatherly, who did not wear a shoulder harness, died when his head struck the wall. The incident led to development of the driver's side window nets.

1975 - Wigram, New Zealand...Graham McRae drove his Chevrolet powered McRae GM2 to victory in the 26th Lady Wigram Trophy race, the 3rd round of the 1975 Tasman Cup series. McRae's 3rd Lady Wigram Trophy win in 4 years gave him 13 career Tasman Cup race wins, one short of Jim Clark's leading total of 14.

1975 - Riverside, California, USA...Bobby Allison dominated the 'Western 500' NASCAR Grand National race at Riverside International Raceway. Allison led all but 18 of the 191 laps in Roger Penske's AMC Matador to take the win 22.6 seconds ahead of David Pearson in the Wood Brothers Mercury. Cecil Gordon was third, seven laps down. Time of the race on the 2.62 mile road course was 5 hrs., 4 mins., 25 seconds. Richard Petty challenged Allison until sliding up into the turn 9 wall on the 33rd lap. After repairs, Petty returned and finished 7th. The current (until tomorrow) Winston Cup point system was first used in this race. Only 12 GN regulars showed up for the race. The Junior Johnson team with driver Cale Yarborough were the most notable of those missing.

1980 - Riverside, California, USA...Darrell Waltrip made up a lap lost due to a blown tire, then held off Dale Earnhardt to win the season opening NASCAR Grand National 'Western 500' at Riverside International Raceway. The 311.78 mile/500km race had begun in rains on January 13th, with 26 laps run under caution before the race was stopped. Waltrip drove the DiGard Racing Chevy to the line 2.9 seconds ahead of Dale Earnhardt's Rod Osterlund Chevy. Richard Petty, Joe Millikan and 1977 & '79 GN West champ Bill Schmitt rounded out the top five. Dan Gurney came out of a 10 year retirement to drive a Rod Osterlund Chevy in the event. Gurney, a five time NASCAR GN winner at Riverside, had moved to 2nd when the transmission failed on lap 79.