Race numbers at meetings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 starlet

starlet

• 327 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:47

Hello to all,

Since a little time now, I look for an information that is perhaps obvious for some, but that I don't arrive to find alone.
In some race meetings like the Easter or the Whitsun meetings at Goodwood in the 50's, there were thus several races; and I will like to know if the entrants kept their numbers for all the races in which they could take part in.

Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,706 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 13:42

Bump!

Surely someone could have helped on this one before it reached page 3.

And I would also like to know the answer.

#3 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 17:38

Sorry ,I don't have any relevant programmes any more ,but as far as I remember if the same car was eligable for more than one race,at a meeting it would keep the same number. However if a driver was entered in different cars they would have different numbers. Like when Roy Salvadori did 4 out of the 5 events on the programme at Crystal Palace,Whit Monday,1961. He was not eligable for the Formula Junior..

#4 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 17:16

Normal practice at Goodwood was for the car to keep the same number in all races. For example -
Whitsun 61 the cars in the handicap race carried the same numbers as they had in the Whitsun Trophy eg 1 Mike Anthony Lister Chev.
At Easter 62 there was a race for 4 cylinder F1 cars. The competitors carried the same number as they did in F1 Glover Trophy eg 6 Salvadori Bowmaker Yeoman Lola

#5 starlet

starlet

• 327 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 19:05

Thank you everybody,

First of all to D-Type, who allowed to make go up the thread, and thus to obtain the contribution of Rob29 and RAP.

Me too, I have always thought that the competitors carried the same number during all the meeting. That would be moreover logical.
But the historians that we are, know that it should not to rely always on the logic.

In any case, all the additions are welcome.

Thanks.

#6 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,706 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 21:36

It wasn't always the case in hillclimbs and sprints. I have seen pictures of cars with two numbers, one blanked out with an X of sticky tape.

On reflection that may have been where two drivers drove the same car.

#7 starlet

starlet

• 327 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 22:05

Yes, D-Type
I'm agree with you concerning the race numbers in Hillclimbs.

There were well obviously in this case, two various numbers, when two drivers divided a car.

By the way, I always wondered how they brought back the car on the starting line !?

#8 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 13:29

Re hillclimbs and sprints, if a car is entered in two different classes I think it is usual to give it different numbers. This is certainly what happens at the Brighton Speed Trials. The reason for this is that if it carried the same number there could be disputes as to which timed run counted for which class. (Obviously this doesn't arise in races).

With regards to two driver cars, some venues have a return road so all the cars return to the Paddock directly after their run so the second driver can take over and join the line at the start. Where this is not the case then cars are brought back to the Paddock in batches after say 30 or 40 cars so the second drivers then run in the next batch so one or other is out of class order. Where both drivers of a two-driver car qualify for the RAC Championship run-off the slower driver goes first then all the two-driver cars are brought back so the faster driver can take his place with the one-driver cars.

#9 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 982 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:32

As I've been collecting information on British meetings this question is very interesting for me. But I'd like to ask it in slightly different way: did multi race meetings have common entry lists for all races? Actually I have such a lists from race programmes. First there was common drivers list with numbers in ascending order and information on races in which every driver was entered. Then there could be entry lists individually for each race.

This explains why cars had numbers over 100 in some meetings.

But was it common practice?

#10 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:34

Was common practice until the 70s at least. System changed when championships started to require entrants to register at the start of the season,and keep the same numbers.

#11 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 982 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 16:02

I think it also was used in SCCA meetings.