Photo

Trans Am Results on web

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 19:33

For those who have not already spotted it, the official Trans Am web site now has full results of all races back to 1966. Go to
www.trans-amseries.com
Click on "Paddock" button and scroll down to "Archives"
RAP

Advertisement

#2 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 04:15

thanks for the link...i attended my first trans-am in 1969 at mid-ohio and always thought that those 3 years, 69/70/71 were the series at its finest......mustangs, camaros, firebirds, cudas, challengers, javelins,and of course horst kwech in his alfa romeo...great racing and great drivers......

#3 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:52

Most interesting... I wish FIA would do something similar for its championships :rolleyes:
I've been tinkering with the idea to include Transam on my site somewhere in the future (since it was quite comparable with the 68-72 ETCC) and this makes it a little easier.
I'll store the PDF's in a safe place.
Thanks for the link and pointing out where the results were hidden...

#4 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:01

Thanks for the link RAP, glad they've decided to re-instate and improve their archived results.

#5 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:22

Yesterday I thought it was about time to download the Transam results (I've been pretty busy the last few months), after I downloaded the 1966-1970 results in January.
:evil: The site had been changed, the paddock button gone, no more results as far as I can see. Did anyone download the results from 1971 upwards? I would be most grateful if they could be mailed to me.
Lesson learned: if you spot anything interesting, download a.s.a.p. - you'll never know when the site disapperears or will be "improved".
Since I've bought the IMSA bible a few weeks ago, with the Transam results a future section on US touring car racing on my site would be possible.

#6 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:51

Frank
The results seem to have moved to -
http://www.tainterne...action=archives

A message on the Tans Am site would have been helpful !!
RAP

#7 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:30

Thanks very much - I'll start downloading tonight...
What a great forum this is...

#8 Gert

Gert

• 209 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:13

The result files seem to have changed.
I have downloaded "the original ones" - Frank, if you need them, contact me ...

The "original" ones were one big PDF per year with all the boxscores for that year.
Now they seem to have put a PDF-file per race?

And the link for the 1969 season doesn't work.

#9 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 20:44

The files are split, one per race, the documents look alike - but there are some errors.
Gert, would you be so kind to mail 1972,1980,1983,1993 and 1994 to me? Those years are incomplete at the site.
Please mail to my site's address

#10 Gert

Gert

• 209 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:59

Originally posted by Frank de Jong

Please mail to my site's address

Okay, they're on their way (one per mail message)

#11 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 13:28

Great Gert, thank you so much, everything is received OK.

#12 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 19:41

Post #1000 :blush: (all in TNF!).
I'm trying to add my 5 cents to a piece of American racing history - I'm working on the TransAm section of my site (and a few things else).
For 1966, I have two sources: the web address above, and Trans-Am - the Pony Car Wars 1966-1972.
But there's something rotten in 1966 race#5, "The Great Race", a 12 hour race on Marlboro Park Speedway.
Up to place 15, the results seem OK. From position 16 downwards, the results are exactly the same as in race #6, Green Valley. With the same number of laps. The results for race 6 seem OK, while in #5 we have in position 15 358 laps, in place 16 209 laps. That's a big difference.
It seems that page 2 of the original results for race #6 has been used twice. Further suspicion enters when page 3 of race #5 (are you still with me?) starts with finisher 34 (Hahne/Ickx, incidentally :drunk: ), while the last entry on page 2 has also the 34th (and last) finisher.
The same error has been made in the book, it used the same source obviously.
The question is simple.
Does anyone have results for this Great Race, with a different finisher in place 16 than Moakley/Turley, Saab, 209 laps?

#13 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 00:43

Congrats Frank, join the +1000 club :clap:

I have some magazines about the Trans Am series, and will check out them on Friday evening after my nightshift...and entering a 14 days mini vacation :cool:

#14 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 14:42

All the results used to be here:

http://www.motorspor...=transam&y=1967

but they've stopped working.

Allen

#15 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 18:59

Sadly, the results were incomplete in the source I was refering to...

However as a consolation, I post this picture from 1966 Marlboro 12 hours.... :)

Just a single local marque among all the hot Europeans on this shot....!

Posted Image

#16 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 20:18

Originally posted by Allen Brown
All the results used to be here:
http://www.motorspor...=transam&y=1967
but they've stopped working.
Allen

Allen, I have emailed Bobby Lui with the error message and I'll let you know when he gets back to me...

#17 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 21:55

I've just has a reply from Bobby. Trans-AmResults from the 1980 season onwards are working OK, but the problem is with the earlier years. He will be looking into it this weekend so I'll post again when he has applied the 'fix'.

#18 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 07:09

Super, thanks - it seems like a great source...

#19 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:18

Good news guys, it looks like Bobby Lui has fixed the database problem...
Enjoy the Trans-Am results Archive...
Rob

Advertisement

#20 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:32

Good news and bad news: the results do work, which is great - they're easier to read than the PDF results I have; the bad news is that in this database we have exactly the same error; from position 16 downwards, race #5 and #6 have nearly-exact the same results and lap numbers :|

#21 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 23:30

Originally posted by Frank de Jong
But there's something rotten in 1966 race#5, "The Great Race", a 12 hour race on Marlboro Park Speedway.
Up to place 15, the results seem OK. From position 16 downwards, the results are exactly the same as in race #6, Green Valley. With the same number of laps. The results for race 6 seem OK, while in #5 we have in position 15 358 laps, in place 16 209 laps. That's a big difference.
It seems that page 2 of the original results for race #6 has been used twice. Further suspicion enters when page 3 of race #5 (are you still with me?) starts with finisher 34 (Hahne/Ickx, incidentally :drunk: ), while the last entry on page 2 has also the 34th (and last) finisher.
The same error has been made in the book, it used the same source obviously.
The question is simple.
Does anyone have results for this Great Race, with a different finisher in place 16 than Moakley/Turley, Saab, 209 laps?

Frank,

I finally had a chance to check Competition Press & Autoweek's report on the Marlboro race. More good news and bad news, their results list down through 27th...but give no laps completed.

For 16th they list Don Peterson/Ralph Steele NSU (D3)

Rest of the finishers listed (with class finish) :

17. Jim McDanial/John Moore VW 1200 (C1)
18. Victor Hajj/Chris Custer Saab (D4)
19. Glenn Sullivan/John Kelly VW 1300 (C2)
20. Sam Perry/Craig Pelouze Saab (D5)
21. Stuart Ramsey/Ross de St. Croix Renault R8 Gordini (C3)
22. George Hodgdon/Dan Topry Saab (D6)
23. Tony deLorenzo/Don Eichstaedt Corvair (A7)
24. Monty Winkler/Pete van der Vate Alfa GTA (B8)
25. Dick Stearns/Dick Walsh NSU (D7)
26. Spurgeon May/Donna Mae Mims Corvair (A8)
27. Capt. Kenneth Sellers/R.M. Mercer Renault R8 (C4)

#22 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:48

Super, it'll be included at the next update. Thanks!

#23 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 15:43

Another results question:

The official result of round 2 of the 1971 season at Bryar Motorsports Park is down right difficult to read (from the official T-A site http://www.trans-ams...esults/1971.pdf)

My first question is the identity of the 15th placed driver. He or she is listed as driving a Cuomo-Camaro (at least that is what I guess it read). There's a Jan Nelson entered in a Cuomo-Mustang for a couple of other races, but this name seems to be about 6 letters for the first name and about 7 letters in the last. http://www.motorspor...com/transam.asp (sorry, can't link direct to the precise race) is the only other result I have found on the net, and here it's simply bypassed!

Then there's the case of the 29th and last placed driver, driving a K-P Mustang (less guessing this time). The almanac says Paul Pettey (also spelled Petty in other races), but initially I disagreed. Looking at it again I'm not so sure about not agreeing. Among other things Pettey/Petty (which one is correct, by the way?) participated in another four races that season, but is only listed as driving a Mustang. But does anybody have other sources that can verify what is correct and what is not.

OT Seeing that Bryar was situated in Loudon, New Hampshire I started wondering if it is in any way connected with the current NASCAR-style oval in the same region. I believe this track was finished for the 1993 season.

Jesper

#24 conjohn

conjohn

• 487 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 19:52

According to Autoweek he is George Linberg in a '69 Camaro, 87 laps, $350.

And it is Paul Pettey, with an 'e', in 30th and last place. As to what is the correct spelling - your guess is as good as mine...

#25 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 19:52

Originally posted by Jesper O. Hansen

OT Seeing that Bryar was situated in Loudon, New Hampshire I started wondering if it is in any way connected with the current NASCAR-style oval in the same region. I believe this track was finished for the 1993 season.

Jesper, can't help decipher the results at the moment, but yes, Bryar is very much connected to New Hampshire International Speedway. The Bryar site was rebuilt into NHIS. So Bryar became NHIS.

#26 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:31

In Dave Friedman's book (which seems to use exactly the same sources) #15 is called "Halberg" - which I took over for the site.
But Linberg sounds good, too...

#27 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:58

Sorry for not mentioning your site Frank, but somehow I've got the idea that you only covered the 1966-1970 period (but thinking about it, why should you stop at 1970?).

Anyway, there seem to be some inconsintense in the spelling of names race by race. From 1971 I have found the following???

Robert Barg or Bob Barg (a matter of Robert becomming Bob in everyday use?)
John Gimbel or Gimble?
Alfred Ruys de Perez or DePerez?
Allan Barker or Parker?
Jerry Rosbath or Rosbach?
Duane Winkel or Winkle?
Vince Gimondo or Giamondo?
Walter Parkins is the same as W.C. Parkins?
J.A. Lagod and Jerry Lagod? Is this two different persons, or the one and same? Any relation to Max Lagod of more current racing?

Jesper

#28 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:13

I do stop at 1972, since there is another website out there covering 1973 upwards - and Friedman's book stops at 1972 too...
I stuck to Bob Barg, Gimbel, Alfred Ruys de Perez
I confess having Alan Barker as well as Allan Parker!
Rosbach
Winkle
Gimondo
Walter Parkins
Jerome Lagod

These are my choices, some are possibly reviewed by my sidekick, some are checked on the WWW - which might confirm that we all make the same mistake.

Difficult subject.

#29 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:05

Robert Barg or Bob Barg (a matter of Robert becomming Bob in everyday use?) - almost certainly.

And it's definitely Alfred Ruys de Perez and Jerry Rosbach.

Allen

#30 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 15:44

Thank you guys.

Jesper

#31 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 19:36

Originally posted by Jesper O. Hansen

Anyway, there seem to be some inconsintense in the spelling of names race by race. From 1971 I have found the following???

Vince Gimondo or Giamondo?
J.A. Lagod and Jerry Lagod? Is this two different persons, or the one and same? Any relation to Max Lagod of more current racing?

Ah, inconsistent spellings. A problem I ran into with the Formula B results from Autoweek. Even as good as CP & Autoweek was, the support series sometimes featured three different spellings over the course of one season :

I always saw it listed as Gimondo.

And J.A. "Jerry" Lagod is Max's father.

#32 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 21:15

Thank you Jim. I'm now down to 107 drivers starting a race in the over 2.5 liter Trans-Am class of 1971. The total number of starts during the 10 races is 296, which make me wonder just what did all these drivers and cars do when not racing in Trans-Am?

10 starts: 0
9 starts: 5
8 starts: 6
7 starts: 4
6 starts: 3
5 starts: 2
4 starts: 8
3 starts: 10
2 starts: 16
1 start: 53!

Jesper

#33 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:19

Jesper

When not doing the TransAm series most of the drivers and cars were involved in Divisional races or even Regional races of which there were dozens. Unfortunately I do not have SportsCar, the SCCA mag, for 1970-1972 which would contain many reports on the Divisional Sedan races and published all the final scores of the Divisional championships for the 4 classes.

John