Photo

Nelson Piquet

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:53

Knowing what knowledgable souls frequent this forum I would like to ask for opinions on Nelson Piquet. A 3 time WDC who is very rarely to be found in anybody's list of greats. A strange personality who seems to have engendered a wide range of views, from the passionate to the incredibly indifferent. I get the impression he is not exactly universally liked, nor very highly rated.

At Brabham his mechanics started the Nelson Piquet Fanclub, and the whole team seemed to love him - it seemed a tight little bunch, but I never got the same impression from his time at Williams or Lotus or Benetton. I know that at Williams things were quite tense because the team refused to hinder Mansell's progress in favour of Piquet. Did Piquet expect the same undivided attention, the unequivocal number one status at Williams that he had obviously enjoyed at Brabham?

He was terribly personally insulting to Mansell and his family, was this a regular trait of his? There is a story in Nigel Roebuck's 'Grand Prix Greats' which concerns Reutemann's collision with a young Osella mechanic who later died. Of this Roebuck wrote " ....That he came through it superbly was no thanks to the driver and team manager of a rival outfit, who sank to previously unplumbed depths by mocking his misfortune, presumably hoping to add to his distress, psych him into temporary oblivion". I have always had my suspicions that this was Piquet. Would I be right in thinking that he was capable of such 'low' behaviour.

So, from those that know more than a mere spectator like myself, and also those other mere spectators, what are your opinions of him?

Advertisement

#2 Mickey

Mickey

• 2,870 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:10

Originally posted by angst
There is a story in Nigel Roebuck's 'Grand Prix Greats' which concerns Reutemann's collision with a young Osella mechanic who later died. Of this Roebuck wrote " ....That he came through it superbly was no thanks to the driver and team manager of a rival outfit, who sank to previously unplumbed depths by mocking his misfortune, presumably hoping to add to his distress, psych him into temporary oblivion". I have always had my suspicions that this was Piquet. Would I be right in thinking that he was capable of such 'low' behaviour.

Interesting stuff. If Piquet was indeed the driver, would the team manager be Bernie Ecclestone then? I somehow can't see him lowering to such depths.

#3 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:25

Originally posted by Mickey

Interesting stuff. If Piquet was indeed the driver, would the team manager be Bernie Ecclestone then? I somehow can't see him lowering to such depths.

No, I think there was a team manager who left before the season was out.

#4 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:40

Nelson Piquet; immature, petulant, massively self-opinionated and with a giant ego. And, from what I understand, Junior is just the same. Not exactly unique characteristics amongst drivers, however...

#5 deeks6

deeks6

• 30 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:44

Originally posted by Twin Window
Nelson Piquet; immature, petulant, massively self-opinionated and with a giant ego. And, from what I understand, Junior is just the same. Not exactly unique characteristics amongst drivers, however...

Perhaps a tiny bit cruel...could have added:

- very fast
- very reliable
- very smart on the track
- a bit of a jokester off it

#6 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,358 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:37

Angst..... Quote

what are your opinions of him?

He was a great driver to work for and showed none of the traits that you and others are talking about and as for all you believe from Mr Roebuck !!!!!! :

#7 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:46

Nelson as a driver was magic.

His off track comments bordered from rude to almost sick.

#8 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,015 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:49

He was lucky to win 1 title, let alone 3; illegal car in 1981 and 1983 (OK, they all were in '81, but he picked up points before the others cottoned on that proved crucial); marmelized by his team-mae in 1987.

Yet was arguably the best driver in 1980 and 1982 and not far off in 1984-5. So I guess he won the ones he shouldn't have, and didn't win the ones he should.

However, his role in Lotus' downfall was crucial - he seemed to give up in the years he was there.

#9 Vrba

Vrba

• 3,334 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:05

Originally posted by ensign14
He was lucky to win 1 title, let alone 3; illegal car in 1981 and 1983 (OK, they all were in '81, but he picked up points before the others cottoned on that proved crucial); marmelized by his team-mae in 1987.

Yet was arguably the best driver in 1980 and 1982 and not far off in 1984-5. So I guess he won the ones he shouldn't have, and didn't win the ones he should.

However, his role in Lotus' downfall was crucial - he seemed to give up in the years he was there.

He was also very good in 1986, especially in the later part of the season and absolutely brilliant in 1990 that I rate as perhaps his finest season.

Hrvoje

#10 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:12

Originally posted by ensign14

The car was legal within the letter of the rules in '81. Drove a horse and cart through the spirit of them though. The '83 car wasn't bent either - I don't think Gordon Murray has a dishonest bone in his body. He'll stretch the rules to very, very close to breaking point, but he wouldn't intentionally break them.

The allegations about the 1983 title relate to the fuel rather than to the car.

Piquet was a driver who for me epitomises the nasty politics in F1 in the early 80s. If he felt he had an "unfair advantage" he was blindingly quick, regardless of how bloody awful the car felt - Nelson admitted that he was probably the only driver who liked "clearance cars" when they were running with virtually no suspension travel, purely because the Brabham was so damn quick.

I think with Piquet it's not how good he was that people remember (and he was still pretty good after Lotus, when it suited him to be) but the lack of grace with which he behaved. With "sportsmen" like McEnroe, Piquet, Maradona and Wasim Akram in the 80s, is it any wonder the current generation of professional sportsmen have grown up so cynical?

Piquet's son seems to be the epitome of a "Formula Pushy Dad" driver though. They've thrown money at his F3 career, to the extent (apparently) of buying their own test circuit.... although when they were racing in F3 in South America, they did pull an absolute blinder of a move - there's a strict test ban on F3 down there, so Piquet Jr turns up for a test session with a "two litre Dallara prototype" - which turns out to be of course nowt but an F3 car with the flimsiest cycle-wings over the wheels! He's not really endearing himself to the British F3 scene, although he will no doubt end up in F1.....

#11 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:23

Originally posted by petefenelon

The car was legal within the letter of the rules in '81. Drove a horse and cart through the spirit of them though. The '83 car wasn't bent either - I don't think Gordon Murray has a dishonest bone in his body. He'll stretch the rules to very, very close to breaking point, but he wouldn't intentionally break them.

Haven't you heard of the Brabham 'qualifying' chassis, Pete? They had them for years; they were so underweight that Reutemann refused to drive them on safety grounds... And in the early eighties, to go with the 'qualifying' chassis, Piquet had a GPA 'qualifying' helmet! It's quite an easy one to spot too, as the colours were slightly different.

Piquet's son seems to be the epitome of a "Formula Pushy Dad" driver though... He's not really endearing himself to the British F3 scene, although he will no doubt end up in F1.....

I can assure you that he's not endeared himself to the F3000 community, either. Or to his letting agents...

Twinny

#12 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,806 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:35

Piquet lost 1986 title because frank williams called himto pit when it was not necessary to do! :mad:

Piquet was faster than prost and mansell, but lost speed after his crash at Imola 1987.

Piquet was smarter than everyone in race strategy, and like every really talented driver, a bit arrogant (senna was, prost was, Schumacher is, so what).

Is class however is not rated as it should. In Benneton 1990 (4th best) , he won two fantastic races and manage to be third whe in the final standings when he shoud be 6h or 7th, beating Nannini in his team and Mansell (ferrari) Berger (mClaren) and the two williams ( butsen, patrese).

Piquet was the best overall driver in the eighties. Is set up and car developement capacities were the best of his era (maybe alonside Prost).

He had 4 actual chances to be champion, and he managed 3 wdc and one 2nd.

For me one of the ten best ever.

#13 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:42

Originally posted by Taxi
Piquet lost 1986 title because frank williams called himto pit when it was not necessary to do! :mad:

An act which is seen by most as one of 'protecting your driver's life'...

Piquet was faster than prost and mansell...

Except when he wasn't.

Piquet was smarter than everyone in race strategy...

Except when he wasn't. Brands '86, Silverstone '87 immediately spring to mind.

Twinny

#14 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,806 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:49

Untill their last year in the super hiper fast Williams 1992/1993 mansell and prost were beside him in the poles. Mansell was beside him in everything. And for sure Both of them had more years in good cars.

Please don't compare Mansell and Piquet in what concerns race stategy ( prost is another matter..), and handling pressure....

#15 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:53

Please don't compare Mansell and Piquet in what concerns race stategy ( prost is another matter..), and handling pressure....

So, in the two races I mentioned above, who was it who had their strategy right and who was it who handled the pressure better? Because it wasn't Piquet, that's for sure...

Twinny

#16 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,806 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:33

Suzuka 1987? Suzuka 1990? G. villneuve 1991?

#17 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 13:32

Initially, I didn't like Piquet, but I warmed to him because of his unusual humour, and also because of his confidence bordering on arrogance. Not a man for the masses, definitely, but also one of the very best - DEFINITELY!

#18 NeilB

NeilB

• 260 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 13:40

I have to say I have never been a fan of Piquet. I found him to be nothing more then a big mouth with an even bigger head.

In 1981 Brabham did use an underweight car for qualifying. At Argentina the organisers told the teams every time a car retured to the pits it would be weighed. Brabham got around this by setting the time with and then say Piquet's brakes failed on his slow down lap making him stop out on the circuit. The marshalls were guarding the car when the mechanics were there, they said they were there to solve the brake problem and get Nelson back to the garage.

They removed the illegal body work to look at the brake fulid tanks, while this was happening the cheif mechanic started shouting at a young mechanic, this angered the marshalls and they rounded on him and started arguing with him saying the kid doesnt deserve that treatment. While this was going on someone was legging it with the illegal rear body work and replacing it with a legal peice of rear body work.

#19 QuickVic

QuickVic

• 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 13:48

Originally posted by NeilB
They removed the illegal body work to look at the brake fulid tanks, while this was happening the cheif mechanic started shouting at a young mechanic, this angered the marshalls and they rounded on him and started arguing with him saying the kid doesnt deserve that treatment. While this was going on someone was legging it with the illegal rear body work and replacing it with a legal peice of rear body work.

Whilst the theme tune to the Benny Hill Show was being played over the PA system. :rotfl:

Oh and don't mention water cooled brakes, what a wheeze that was too :lol:

Advertisement

#20 brooster51

brooster51

• 210 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 13:50

One of the reasons that he's not often cited as a major player is that he never appeared to be dominant driver like a Senna, Clark, or some others. From the statistics it appears that he was a frequent podium finisher and more reliable than those he was competing against. Whether this was strategic or happenstance who knows. This is supported by looking at the three years he was champion and comparing him to the second place finisher:

1987 Piquet/Williams FW11B – Honda Turbo v6: 3 wins, 8 other podium finishes (all seconds but 1), 1 other point finishes, 4 non-point races, 4 pole positions, and 4 fastest race laps.
Mansell/Williams FW11B – Honda Turbo v6:: 6 wins, 1 other podium finish, 2 other point finishes, 7 non-point finishes, 8 pole positions, and 3 fastest race laps.

1983 Piquet won championship by 1 point/Brabham BT52-BMW Turbo i4: 3 wins, 5 other podium finishes, 2 other point finishes, 5 non-point races, 1 pole position, and 4 fastest race laps.
Prost/Renault RE40 Turbo v6: 4 wins, 3 other podium finishes, 2 other point finishes, 6 non-point finishes, 3 pole positions, and 3 fastest race laps.

1981 Piquet won championship by 1 point/Brabham BT49C-Ford/Cosworth: 3 wins, 4 other podium finishes, 3 other point finishes, 5 non-point races, 4 pole position, and 1 fastest race laps.
Reutemann/Williams FW07-Ford/Cosworth: 2 wins, 4 other podium finishes, 2 other point finishes, 6 non-point finishes, 2 pole positions, and 2 fastest race laps.

In these years, other than in 1987, there was not a dominant chassis/engine combination nor did it appear that there was a dominant driver. Statistics don't tell all the story, but they often influence whose thought to in the top rank of the 'greats'.

I don't really ever remember him being cited as being compared to a Fangio , Clark, Moss, etc. These being something of the standard of comparison at the time. He was always considered very good, definitely in the upper crust, just not the very, very best.

In terms of personality, I think I remember him of making some very disparaging remarks about Senna suggesting that his sexual orientation was somewhat in question. He seemed to really play the mind games to the hilt.

#21 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 13:57

At Brabham his mechanics started the Nelson Piquet Fanclub, and the whole team seemed to love him

There's a parallel with Schumacher here - loved by his team, loathed by many outside of it.

I actually liked Piquet for being one of the last "amateur" or "playboy" drivers - blindingly fast on talent alone, but no shred of application on bad days, or effort to patch up his physical condition. No work, all play.

I'm with Michael on the prankster side of him, which was often lost on those without a sense of irony.

And as long as he was driving Gordon Murray's cars... Those Brabhams and that helmet - what a feast of aesthetics!

#22 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 13:59

Originally posted by brooster51
In terms of personality, I think I remember him of making some very disparaging remarks about Senna suggesting that his sexual orientation was somewhat in question.

Er, remember Junior...?

But yes, he was way below the belt with his comments about the Mansell family to cite just one example.

Twinny

#23 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,806 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 14:16

If we talking aboout personality Piquet had a strong one. Like Eddier Irvine. If we ar talking about driver talent, let me say something: piquet worked har to get to formula 1.

He got there late (27) and at 29 he was world champion. he was lucky sometimes, but unlucky other times ( he drove that horrrible lotus 1988/9 and not so good brabham 1984/5.

He dominated his team mates generaly and got a 3 nul results: (Lauda/Mansell/Schumacher)

when we got to williams the team got more competitive because of in inpput information, same with benneton. faux pas at lotus.

in terms of pure speed with the same age and experience I think he was a bit faster than Prost /Mansell and a bit slower than Senna.

#24 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 14:17

Haven't you heard of the Brabham 'qualifying' chassis, Pete? They had them for years; they were so underweight that Reutemann refused to drive them on safety grounds... And in the early eighties, to go with the 'qualifying' chassis, Piquet had a GPA 'qualifying' helmet! It's quite an easy one to spot too, as the colours were slightly different.[B]I can assure you that he's not endeared himself to the F3000 community, either. Or to his letting agents...

Twinny

And there was the lead engine cover too......;)

But, if the rules said they weren't going to be weighed at that point, I'd say they're within the letter - again, totally against the spirit.......

#25 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 14:24

Originally posted by Racer.Demon

No work, all play.

The first thing that springs to mind for me concerning Piquet was that he worked very hard with BMW to get the turbocar competitive - which they finally managed after a lot of disappointments. He always backed BMW in the process.
His years with Lotus on the contrary were very disappointing.

#26 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 14:34

Ah, yes, of course, which was one of the reasons that he was loved by the team.

What I meant with that was that he totally relied on his immense talent inside the cockpit - or at least gave the impression to do so - and simply enjoyed life outside of it. So, yes, he worked to improve the car and the team but never seemed to work to improve himself.

#27 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 15:05

immature, petulant, massively self-opinionated and with a giant ego...And, from what I understand, Junior is just the same.

It must have been a different Nelson Jr that chatted to my 13 year old grandson for 15 minutes before the Donington F3 race..
...then autographed his program..
...then posed for photographs (with his arm around my grandson) laughing and joking?

Yes, the pleasant young man who made my grandson's day at Donington :love: :love:
Must definitely be another Piquet !! :confused: :p :confused: :p

Normally we are on similar wave-lengths Twinny, but I disagree with your 'understanding' here.. :down:
Rob

#28 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 15:16

Hi Rob

The information revealed to me by an prominent F3000 team owner was done so in confidence, which I'm bound to respect. Believe me, I'd really like to tell the stories, as they're both astonishing and funny!

I guess you'll just have to trust me on this one...

Twinny

PS glad to hear that he is, however, capable of normal behaviour on occasions!

#29 Teapot

Teapot

• 342 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 16:07

Years ago I read on an Italian magazine a story about how Piquet used to call Mansell "Otario", or something similar in Portuguese, during their first time togheter at Williams...

Mansell had believed it was only a funny surname....until he discovered, from a restaurant's waiter in Rio that it actually means "goofy" (or something much worse!)...

#30 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 16:09

I also found him very accommodating and friendly at a freezing cold F3 Snetterton last year. Wasn't there the suggestion that it was Piquet who first had the idea of tyre warmers in F1, if true then this is another addition to his qualities as a top flight grand prix driver.

David

#31 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 20:09

Even though this thread is about Nélson Piquet - one of my all-time favorite drivers, shall I admit upfront for the sake of a fair understanding of my opinions - I will focus on his son.

Nélson (father) had an enormous capacity of stirring controversy, and he used this to his benefit a number of times, throughout his career. Racer.Demon made above a comparison between Piquet and Michael Schumacher - "loved by his team, loathed by many outside of it" -, which I find quite correct; another similarity between these two is their excellence as spin doctors.

Unsurprisingly Piquet left many enemies behind - particularly in the British media, but not only in this circle. In consequence, his son is taking a lot of flak from those that "have a problem" with Daddy. The collection of rumours and absurdities said about Nélson Ângelo (son) is amusing - not to call it plain funny.

For example (please understand that I am not "singleing out" petefenelon - quite possibly your words reflect what you read in the "specialized" racing media somewhere):

Originally posted by petefenelon
Piquet's son seems to be the epitome of a "Formula Pushy Dad" driver though. They've thrown money at his F3 career, to the extent (apparently) of buying their own test circuit.... although when they were racing in F3 in South America, they did pull an absolute blinder of a move - there's a strict test ban on F3 down there, so Piquet Jr turns up for a test session with a "two litre Dallara prototype" - which turns out to be of course nowt but an F3 car with the flimsiest cycle-wings over the wheels! He's not really endearing himself to the British F3 scene, although he will no doubt end up in F1.....

1.) No, Piquet Sports did not buy a circuit for Nélson Ângelo to test. Piquet-father has acquired the rights to administrate the Brasília track years ago (the track is public, and remains so; Piquet has the right to exploit it commercially for a number of years. Similarly, the Jacarepaguá track in Rio is managed by a group led by Piquet and Émerson Fittipaldi. These agreements were signed around 1995 and I question those that say that "Piquet was already thinking on his son's career", as Nélson Ângelo was quite reluctant at first to jump into motorsports. Besides that, Piquet has implemented one the best track-lease plans for testing days in Latin America, and the track was opened to any of Nélson Ângelo rivals to practice - what they did.

2.) Now, about the "Dallara prototype", it was - as Pete said - a Dallara 394 chassis with fiberglass wheel covers attached to the suspensions. A smart move by Piquet... It is also correct that there is a strict test-ban in the Codasur Formula 3 championship. However, what most people don't know is that Nélson Ângelo was given an additional test ban - applicable only to him! Piquet-father has been a dissent voice in Brazilian motorsports for years, trying to break with the stagnant aristocracy that used to run the sport in Brazil. He has gone long strides to organize championships (as the Espron cup and several karting championships) and to make racing more accessible, more competitive and simply "cleaner". This of course upset the powers-to-be, that warned competitors joining championships organized by Piquet of potential "life-spanning bans" (!), fines and other sanctions. This badly backfired as Piquet's ventures were quite successful, attracting more competitors - and a better field - than other series. So the Codasur scrutineers were (strongly) pushed by the CBA to write a "smart" clause banning newcomers to Formula 3 to test, which was directly aimed to Nélson Ângelo. But Daddy was cleverer than the men in suits.

And for more stories about Nélson Ângelo...

I agree with petulant and egotistical, but I don't think Piquet was immature - quite the opposite, as he played mind games very well. One may agree or not with such things, and I for one don't, but such is not a display of immaturity.

What ticks me off is people talking about Nélson Ângelo as if they know him, just because they know his father... I had the chance of talking to him a few times, and he was very kind and friendly. Rob Ryder mentioned the case of the meeting between his grandson and Nélson Ângelo, and a friend of mine who lives in the Netherlands told me something very similar one year ago or so.

It is going to be interesting to see how Nico Rosberg and Nélson Ângelo Piquet cope with the pressure to perform, as they are sons of two very non-conformist, off-the-beaten-track World Champions. But it is unfair to attribute things to either of them based on what one thinks about the father.

Cheers,

Muzza

P.S.:

Originally posted by Teapot
Years ago I read on an Italian magazine a story about how Piquet used to call Mansell "Otario", or something similar in Portuguese, during their first time togheter at Williams...

Mansell had believed it was only a funny surname....until he discovered, from a restaurant's waiter in Rio that it actually means "goofy" (or something much worse!)...

I understand this is a true story - and yes, Otário (how Piquet many times referred to Mansell publicly) means "fool, easily deceived"...

#32 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 21:01

Originally posted by Muzza

I agree with petulant and egotistical, but I don't think Piquet was immature - quite the opposite, as he played mind games very well. One may agree or not with such things, and I for one don't, but such is not a display of immaturity.

Hi Muzza

To my mind, Nelson saying in public that "the next time he [Jones] tries that, I'm going to put him over the barriers" is childish and immature. And if that was an attempt at 'mind games' on AJ, then he picked the wrong bloke... Personally, I would also classify his cheap (and, once again) public insults directed at the likes of Rosanne Mansell as being even more characteristic of his overall demeanour.

What ticks me off is people talking about Nélson Ângelo as if they know him, just because they know his father...

I've never met Jr, and therefore have no first-hand experience of him - and nor have I said I have. But - as they say - I know a man who does. This man's judgement is beyond reproach, and that's good enough for me. He was astonished at Jr's attitude and behaviour but, as previously stated, I'm not at liberty to divulge any more. Oh, and he actually mentioned that Nelson wasn't a problem during this period. That honour befell another, as yet unmentioned, former WC who's son is also an up-and-comer...

It might be worth taking into account that whilst many peoples opinions are understandably affected by the specialist press, this doesn't normally prove to be the case with folk who've spent a long time actually working within the industry. In fact, if anything, the opposite is more likely to apply.

Twinny

By the way, when I read earlier that 'Otario' meant 'goofy' I initially thought it was a reference to his teeth, which struck me as being rather ironic coming from a chap with gnashers like his! So thanks for reminding me that 'goofy' can also mean naive, or 'sucker'!

#33 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 11:12

for me piquet can best be summed up by his "ladylike" slapfest at eliseo salazar after the 2 collided at hockenheim in 1982 and yet one of the most incredible sights that i ever witnessed at a track was piquet at imola in 85 with the brabham-bmw and it's 1000+hp qualifying engine....it was a matter of a few short laps, but neither before nor since have i seen any car on any track appear so brutally fast as that....i guess these 2 episodes sum up my feelings towards piquet, i really did'nt care for him all that much as a person, but there was no denying that he could be blindingly quick on the track....

#34 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,015 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 11:18

So, to sum up, Nelson Piquet is a human being. :p

#35 man

man

• 1,527 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 17:11

I briefly met Nelson in his Brabham BMW days and he seemed polite enough. Clearly others have had different experiences with him. He had a dark sense of humour which i liked, most don't.

As a driver, I would say he was probably the most complete driver on the grid in 1983. The reason for Nelson's up-down form from 1988 onwards was because he was a more balanced individual than drivers such as Senna and Prost in particular. Racing was not his life.

Superb natural talent, one gets the impression he was merely driving on auto-pilot from 1986 onwards. If he had the same will to win similar to that of unethical drivers (i.e. Senna, Prost and Schumacher) he would have been a lot more successful in terms of statistics.

And who can forget his performances in post-race press conferences!

#36 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 20:50

)

when we got to williams the team got more competitive because of in inpput information, same with benneton.

I couldn't help but feel that his successes with the Benneton team were related to his being paid on a points earned system. Suddenly, we were looking at the Piquet of old.

#37 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 20:55

)

when we got to williams the team got more competitive because of in inpput information, same with benneton.

I couldn't help but feel that his successes with the Benneton team were related to his being paid on a points earned system. Suddenly, we were looking at the Piquet of old.

#38 fingers

fingers

• 1,039 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 21:19

Nelson Piquet,,,not as good as Senna thus forgot about and he knew it therefore made Senna an enemy. Very often people give away their own perceived and their actual insecurities by making an enemy of someone that they feel inferior too.

#39 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 00:41

WOW!

And I thought Mansell polarised people.

Advertisement

#40 David Hyland

David Hyland

• 289 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:23

I know that at Williams things were quite tense because the team refused to hinder Mansell's progress in favour of Piquet. Did Piquet expect the same undivided attention, the unequivocal number one status at Williams that he had obviously enjoyed at Brabham?

As I understand it, Piquet believed he had an agreement with Frank Williams that he would be number one driver at Williams in 1986. (I have no idea whether that was actually the case). But Frank's road accident at the start of the year meant that the team was effectively being run by other people, who didn't recognise Nelson's "number one" status, for much of/the early part of the season. With the benefit of hindsight, Nelson could probably justifiably claim that if the team had afforded him number one status throughout the year, then they may have secured the Drivers title (for him) in addition to the Constructors title, which they did win.

#41 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:08

Well, he really does polarize opinion doesn't he. When he first came on the scene I thought very highly of him. I thought he was foolish to try and play mind games (and make threats against !) Alan Jones. I don't think anybody would have considered Jones as easily psyched.

Once he went to Williams though I noticed a change. Maybe it was only in perception because he was in a team with a British teammate. But that doesn't explain his comments about Roseanne Mansell. Obviously a very very fast driver, and I'd agree that he seems to have won the championships he shouldn't have and lost the ones he should have.

It's an interesting point that David Hyland brings up, one that I hadn't considered before but which may well have some truth in it.

#42 EcosseF1

EcosseF1

• 144 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 14:05

I was always impressed with how relaxed Piquet looked in the cockpit. Particularly before the start of a race. On TV you could easily see how tense most of the others looked in comparison.

#43 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 14:29

Originally posted by EcosseF1
I was always impressed with how relaxed Piquet looked in the cockpit. Particularly before the start of a race. On TV you could easily see how tense most of the others looked in comparison.

In his first couple of seasons I read he suffered terrible stomach cramps and sickness before races... he must have got over it. Did anyone see he wants to race in GP2 with his son Nelsinho next year? good on him I say but he may be in for a surprise! Then again Mainsail wants to do F1 still and hasnt officially retired.

#44 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 15:13

I think that it was Piquet who regularly took a nap while the cars were on the grid waiting for the off. Now that is cool.

I certainly enjoyed his performances at Brabham in 1979, especially at Silverstone...

Edward

#45 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 16:20

I remember him holding up a card to the TV cameras when he was on the grid in about 1982.

It bore the words "HELLO MUM!"

#46 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,912 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 07:06

Originally posted by David Hyland
As I understand it, Piquet believed he had an agreement with Frank Williams that he would be number one driver at Williams in 1986. (I have no idea whether that was actually the case). But Frank's road accident at the start of the year meant that the team was effectively being run by other people, who didn't recognise Nelson's "number one" status, for much of/the early part of the season. With the benefit of hindsight, Nelson could probably justifiably claim that if the team had afforded him number one status throughout the year, then they may have secured the Drivers title (for him) in addition to the Constructors title, which they did win.

True.
But...

That also implicate that Nigel can also claim to have won the driver's title in addition to the contructor's title if, in the final stages of the season the team had committed to Nigel who at that time had the better position versus Nelson in the championship standings.

As a driver, Piquet could be wonderful.
But in fact, I see a lot of him back in what many of us condemn in Michael: the apparant refusal to accept a strong teammate who was permitted to race him. (Remember, he accepted Nigel but on the assumption he was the #1.)
Only Lauda was (at least pricipally) a strong teammate in his Brabham years, thereafter he only got B and lower rated drivers to team up with at Brabham and Lotus. I don't know if that was his preference but he certainly never did much against it to get a better teammate.
Other than that, what he and other people (including a number of his fans) called humor, I felt that being sick and uncalled for. His off track behaviour is the one thing which turned me off the most of all in him. I hated the drag&drama queen behaviour of Mansell but what Piquet said and did was much lower and disrespectful to people he met in his life.

To SE Edward

Update me please, what was so enjoyable at Silverstone '79? I only recall the Brabham's blowing up their Alfa's on about each and every opportunity that year save three times....

Henri Greuter

#47 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 07:32

Originally posted by Henri Greuter

Only Lauda was (at least pricipally) a strong teammate in his Brabham years, thereafter he only got B and lower rated drivers to team up with at Brabham and Lotus...

...and when he finally did get a quick team mate at Benetton, in the form of M Schumacher, he quit.

Other than that, what he and other people (including a number of his fans) called humor, I felt that being sick and uncalled for. His off track behaviour is the one thing which turned me off the most of all in him. I hated the drag&drama queen behaviour of Mansell but what Piquet said and did was much lower and disrespectful to people he met in his life.

:up:

Twinny

#48 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 07:45

He qualified 3rd and was running 4th before spinning off at the end of the first lap at Woodcote (I think)!

Well, at least it was spectacular.

Edward

#49 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:34

Originally posted by Henri Greuter
Only Lauda was (at least pricipally) a strong teammate in his Brabham years, thereafter he only got B and lower rated drivers to team up with at Brabham...

I don't think Patrese was a "lower rated" driver (but then I wouldn't would I :p ). In an interview with Franco Lini in Grand Prix International there is the following exchange:

There's no getting away from the fact that Nelson's results are more convincing than yours.
Patrese's eyes widen in astonishment: "But that's not true. Last year I finished ahead of him on points and on the starting grid I was often in front of Piquet."
You don't have an inferiority complex towards Piquet?
"Why should I have? The results speak for themselves. In '82 I finished the championship with 21 points, while Nelson had 20. And we won one grand prix each. As far as speed is concerned, I think the balance is tipped in my favour. Nelson has been world champion, but from the technical point of view we're treated as equals. It's clear Nelson has the advantage of the prestige that goes with having won the title. But I also feel perfectly capable of becoming champion. So I've no complexes. What's more, Nelson and I get on like a house on fire, we're friends. I'm ready to help him out whenever the need arises."

Unfortunately for Riccardo this interview appeared in GPI issue #62 which reported on the 1983 San Marino GP : and the result of that race meant he was cast in a supporting role for the rest of the season.

#50 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,912 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:00

Originally posted by SEdward
He qualified 3rd and was running 4th before spinning off at the end of the first lap at Woodcote (I think)!

Well, at least it was spectacular.

Edward

Thanks Edward, I wasn't aware of this.
Silverstone '79 was memorable for sure, but I remembered it for other reasons than Brabham-Alfa related.

Henri Greuter