Jaguar Specials / Emeryson F1

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Racers Edge

Racers Edge

• 122 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:00

Jaguar Specials...

...and this F1 racer, the 1955 >58 Emeryson 2.5 liter Jaguar. Does anyone know if it actually raced in a internatinal F1 race? I think there might have been other Jaguar powered F1 cars that also tried their luck at F1, but also failed...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,006 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:51

Jaguar's World Championship debut came in 1950, when pre-war ace Clemente Biondetti shoehorned an engine from an XK120 into a Ferrari 366 and drove to little effect. As ever F1 Rejects has a good summary of his career.

Interesting idea...in those days of course it was somewhat easier to create specials with bodywork from one source and engine from another (was the first in GP racing Frank Halford's Special?), but not many were really successful.

Don't know about the Emeryson-Jag, though. Was this one of Paul Emery's ideas? He certainly had a good few. The only manufacturer, other than Ferrari, in the first 4 Formula 1 formulae?

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:24

The F1 career of the Emeryson-Jaguar consisted of just four laps of Goodwood in the 1957 Glover Trophy, although according to Sheldon it was fitted with an Alta engine. That's a confusion with a second chassis which went to the USA.

Paul Emery's practice time was almost twenty seconds slower than Moss on pole and nine seconds slower than Brabham's F2 Cooper: he wasn't last on the grid, but only because Allison didn't practice.

The car then went to Roberta Cowell, who had some success in hillclimbs with it.

#4 gilby

gilby

• 21 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:48

and it was fitted with a fuel injection system modified from a diesel lorry.
The EMERYSON JAG has been rebuilt in the 80's by ORECA in france with webers this time

#5 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 23:04

From 8W

Paul Emeryson is one of the great characters of post-war British racing - a brilliant engineer but lousy businessman, and hence always short of money. This project used an enlarged version of an earlier 500's frame, with coil and wishbone IFS and coil-sprung de Dion rear. He actually devised a complex system for lowering the prop shaft and hence the driver's seating position. A linered down 2-litre Aston Martin LB6 6-cylinder engine (rescued from a scrap heap!) was used.

This was fairly soon replaced by a second hand 4-cylinder Alta engine, bored out to 2.5-litres mated to an ENV pre-selector gearbox. It was in this form that Paul gave the car its finest result, leading Stirling Moss's 250F for a while at Crystal Palace on Whit Monday in 1956. He finished a strong 2nd behind the Maestro.

In 1957 he slotted in a 2.4-litre Jaguar XK engine fitted with Paul's own fuel injection system, but he only ran it at Goodwood before selling it to Roberta Cowell who enjoyed various Ladies Class winds in hill-climbs - perhaps helped by the fact that the ex-fighter pilot started life as a man! Eventually it was converted to a sports car and still survives in France somewhere.

So it started with a 2 litre Aston engine - initially as a 2-litre F2 car, but that formula became F1. Colin Chapman raced the car in the 1954 International Trophy, his only F1 race.

Then fitted with a 2.5 litre Alta engine in 56 it raced as an F1 car, and did quite well.

For 57 it had the Jaguar engine and only did the Glover Trophy at Goodwood, which (as with all Goodwood single seater races) was not an international F1 race.

That could mean you would have to run it with an Aston or Alta engine to be accepted in historic 50's GP car races?

I think that it was raced in UK historics after its Jim Testor restoration (prior to moving to France), so it has presumably been accepted already with the Jaguar engine - but past historic history might not count for much.

I think it should be accepted, it was built in F1 form at the time, and was acceptable then, it just didn't enter an international race.
It is certainly far more appropriate than 2.7 litre FPF cars that are accepted alongside 60's 1.5 litre F1 cars.
And it did actually run which is more than the Kieft Godiva did.
But as is the way in historics it would probably depend more on who was entering the car!!

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,259 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 23:39

And how pretty it is?

Doesn't work that way in my book... or as John Medley puts it, Historics include the good, the bad and the ugly.

#7 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 23:48

Originally posted by Vitesse2
The F1 career of the Emeryson-Jaguar consisted of just four laps of Goodwood in the 1957 Glover Trophy, although according to Sheldon it was fitted with an Alta engine. That's a confusion with a second chassis which went to the USA.

Paul Emery's practice time was almost twenty seconds slower than Moss on pole and nine seconds slower than Brabham's F2 Cooper: he wasn't last on the grid, but only because Allison didn't practice.

Posted Image

This is the start of the 57 Glover Trophy. The Emeryson is number 9 on the extreme left of the track. Am I mistaken, or is the exhaust on the right side of the car? And does that suggest an Alta or a Jaguar engine?

Also, Allison didn't start. However, Jim Russell did start, but did not practice, so he prevented emery being last on the grid.

#8 Mike Lawrence

Mike Lawrence

• 288 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 03:01

Fitteed with a 2-litre engine, bored out to 2.5-litres, Paul Emery entered the Emeryson in the 1956 British GP. Though his practice time was 13 seconds off pole, he lapped faster than the Maseratis of Magioli, Godier, Rosier and Brabham and also the Gordini of da Silva Ramos, which I'd say wasn't bad for a three-year-old special. He retired after four laps with ignition problems.

Paul picked up the Aston Martin engine from Foley Bros. scrapyard, in fact he told me he took five or six engines away in his truck and most of these were sold on. When Aston Martin discovered it had become a supplier to the North London special-building community, it took to smashing the blocks of substandard engines.

The same scrapyard supplied a complete Lagonda Project 115 body which was fitted to a Tojeiro ladderframe chassis. Last heard, the present owner was considering turning his car into a Tojeiro (with a barcetta-style body) and a Lagonda. This, I think, is sheer vandalism because the Toj' has always had the Lagonda body. Why make two bogus cars from one honest one?

Emery had no luck at all. His brilliant little GT, very successful in British club racing, found a backer but, before the deal was signed, the backer died.

Paul eventually discovered quarter-mile midget racing and, in his fifties, was a national champion five years in succession. Not only that, but for the first time in his life, he actually made money from racing.

#9 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 08:05

Connaught also fittted a Jaguar engine to a "streamliner" for Leslie Marr to take to Australia. This car was later raced in "Historics" by john Harper and is still in the UK . I do also have a photo of one of the single seater HWMs fitted with a Jaguar engine prior to Rivers Fletcher doing the same for hill climbing.

#10 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 09:31

We will never speak again, ferret :mad:
Marr's Jaguar-powered car was for the four-race series run in New Zealand
There would not be an international series of races in that other place until 1961

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,259 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:42

Series? Did I hear him mention series?

I don't think so... and we did see Mossy, Behra and a whole bunch of others at times prior to 1961. You are getting so touchy!

#12 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 16:15

Just seeing if you were awake David. Did it not race in the "other place " as well ????

#13 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 16:40

No
No suitable events for it at that time

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,259 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 23:13

Except at Bathurst, Caversham, Lowood and Gnoo Blas...

Or do you mean that FPA permits weren't in place?

#15 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 06:31

No, I meant international permits
I think there was a limit on numbers of furriners at FPA events, wasn't there?
Also, you'd have to be talking February, or maybe March, to keep Northern Hemisphere competitors in that part of the world, which OTTOMH would mean Albert Park or Fisherman's Bend.

#16 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,259 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:11

Was there an Albert Park that year?

And was there ever an FPA Fishermen's Bend?

Gnoo Blas end of January...

One day we should clarify exactly what FPA meant, you know.

#17 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:22

Yes, the Moomba meeting took place at Albert Park over two weekends in, IIRC, early March. And, of course, there was another quite important AP meeting in November/December (though that is beside the point of discussing Feb/Mar dates).
No. I don't think there was ever an FPA Bend meeting.
My point in mentioning AP and FB was that they were high-profile meetings which attracted the top Australian drivers and could surely, had the promoters wished, have hosted international meetings.

My understanding was that there were (are?) various graduations of status which - from bottom to top - went something along the lines of Closed Club (limited to members of the organising club), Invitation (open to members of a limited number of other clubs as well), National (resticted to holders of licences issued by the host country), National with Foreign Participation Authorised (limited number of drivers from outside the host country) and International (as many foreigners s you like).

Getting back OT, no mention seems yet to have been made of Geoff Richardson's RRA, which contested the 1957 International Trophy (F1 race). The car was based on the prototype GP Aston Martin fitted with a Jaguar 2.4 engine.

#18 Racers Edge

Racers Edge

• 122 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:48

There also was real nice 50's Jag special I saw a few years back at Donington called a H.A.R with 2.4 liter Jaguar engine on Webers with a Wilson pre-select box.. it was painted red at the time, had Borrani wires, and I understand maybe built in Austraila > New Zealand? I wonder if the collection still has it, as it was on loan, and for sale at the time. (1996?) It also had once in it's life a Alta engine in it...trying to find a photo / can't find anything on the Donington site.

#19 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:55

If we extend this to non-F1 Jaguar specials we'll be here all night :lol:
The HAR went to France, I think, though that might have been before it was in Donington

Advertisement

#20 Racers Edge

Racers Edge

• 122 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 13:07

Hello David McKinney...

This H.A.R. special was reported, and advertised by the Donington museum to be a F1 car, don't know if it ever qualified?...

#21 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 16:38

Forget what I said about France. I must learn that my memory is not as trustworthy as it used to be :blush:
There were actually several HARs.
Horace Richards raced his first car, with Riley power, from 1953-56, including minor British F1 races.
The second car was supplied to Bertie Bradnack who intended to fit a Bristol engine and name the car the Woden, but apparently never completed it. The project was taken over by Jim Berry and, with replacement engine, it became one of his ERA Specials. It went to Australia in 1970 and masqueraded in an Adelaide museum as an HWM-Jaguar, before returning to the UK in the 1990s, when it could be found in the Donington museum.
Some authorities (Roland Urban in Les Métamorphoses du Jaguar for one) give the post-1970 history to the Richards car, but I believe the constructor still owned the original throughout the time the ‘HWM’ was out of the UK.
There was also at least one HAR sportscar, which I think is coming up for sale at auction pretty soon.

#22 Racers Edge

Racers Edge

• 122 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 16:46

Off Subject the HAR Sportscar. ( more photos on www.coys.co.uk site)

....David do you if the HAR Special is still at Donnington?

Posted Image

#23 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 18:46

Originally posted by Racers Edge
David do you if the HAR Special is still at Donnington?

No I don't, sorry
Last I heard it was being advertised for sale by Hall & Fowler (as was) in 1997

#24 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,006 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 21:02

Horace Richards was from Smethwick, wasn't he? So how come he had a St Andrew's cross on his car (maybe a secret Birmingham City fan??).

Plus how come he never raced at the British GP? Never invited? Competition a bit too hot? I'm conscious that, given his results, he seems to have driven more for enjoyment than competition, so maybe he feared total embarrassment (mm, very likely to have been a Birmingham City fan)?

#25 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 22:37

The St Andrews Cross was no doubt put on the car in the Coys picture by a much later owner. In fact Horace Richards may never even have seen this HAR.
I presume Richards's reason for never entering the British GP was the same as that which could have been put forward by perhaps 50 or 100 other British owners of eligible cars at the time. That race was for the big boys with the best cars, not for clubmen with uncompetitive machinery.

#26 Ian McKean

Ian McKean

• 480 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 00:08

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Posted Image

This is the start of the 57 Glover Trophy. The Emeryson is number 9 on the extreme left of the track. Am I mistaken, or is the exhaust on the right side of the car? And does that suggest an Alta or a Jaguar engine?

Also, Allison didn't start. However, Jim Russell did start, but did not practice, so he prevented emery being last on the grid.

Ahhh.....yes I watched that race. I must have been nearly 10.

Another single seater Jaguar engined special that deserves a mention was the LGS (Le Gallais Special) built and driven by Frank Le Gallais. I watched it climbing Prescott, I think also in 1957, by coincidence. It had a rear-mounted (or mid before the pedants get me) engine, IIRC it was the 3.4 litre version. I have a feeling it was blown but can't quite remember. I think it also featured twin rear wheels. It had very little bodywork, in the tradition of hillclimb specials. I think it probably originated in sand-racing in Jersey, where Le Gallais came from. I believe his son is active in the sport now, so if he sees this perhaps he could find some photos.

I wonder what sort of transmission and suspension it had.

Ian

#27 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 13:22

Back to Jaguar engined specials. I have come across the following:

1952 3.4 LGS-Jaguar a special built by Frank le Gallais in the Channel Islands. Second at Bouley Bay
beating Poore's Alfa 8C-35. Next appearance in a British Hillclimb Championship round was in ....
1955 3.4 LGS-Jaguar agan driven by Frank le Gallais at Bouley Bay (3rd) and then at the August Shelsley Walsh event (7th). Then in 1956 le Gallais is out again at Bouley Bay finishing 4th.

Other than a rather hacked about Lister there have been no other Jaguar engined specials made the run-offs.
:rolleyes:

#28 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 13:34

Originally posted by Stephen W
Other than a rather hacked about Lister there have been no other Jaguar engined specials made the run-offs

I hope that this isn't a reference to Phil Scragg's car, which was hardly "hacked about"

#29 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 14:04

Ah, the Le Gallais Special! This site tells you all about it. Remarkably innovative for somewhere as far off the beaten track as Jersey.

I remember the car in Kenya after about 1959. It was raced in circuit races there but proved very temperamental.

#30 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 16:15

Does it still survive in Africa ???? What a find that would be.

#31 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 23:47

Sorry about the link I gave not coming out right - it works if you cut and paste it into the browser.

The site was written by Peter Le Gallais, son of Frank Le Gallais the builder of the LGS. He says he traced the third Kenya owner and the trail went cold. So it's still there somewhere.

If anybody goes looking, when I last saw it circa 1965 it was repainted red with a white noseband and the radiator opening had been opened out somewhat . I have a forty year old half memory that it might have ended up in Tanga, Tanzania. I also have a vague memory that the engine may have been put back into a gold XK120 that was being restored.

#32 Ian McKean

Ian McKean

• 480 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 00:51

Thanks for that URL for Peter Le Gallais' site. Fascinating stuff. The chassis lookes surprisingly sanitory for a special. It looks as if it had a normal front engine type gearbox and then a final drive instead of a transaxle, so that the driver was very far forward. Does anyone know what the transmission parts were?

The text confirms my belief that I must have seen the car in 1957, and the twin rear wheels, but makes no mention of a supercharger, so that must be my imagination. It has a better nose cone than I remembered as well.

But really fascinating, so thanks again to all concerned especially D-Type

#33 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 15:09

From Peter LG's description, most of the running gear appears to be Citroen. And Cooper used a Citroen-based gearbox ....

The nose cone in the pictures is the same as it had when it arrived in Kenya. I think it overheated when raced and the nose was opened out to accommodate a bigger radiator. Incidentally it was originally painted a greeny blue - I think my wife calls it petrol blue.

#34 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 17:27

I am returning this thread to currency ! because I just wanted to point out that the photo of the 1957 Glover Trophy race start is the start of the first F.1 race I ever saw, aged 9, from the fence along the Lavant Straight.

What a shame it is not a wider angle shot, for we cannot see Lewis-Evans' silver Connaught that WON the race!

#35 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 18:18

Re. the HAR Sportscar:

"The St Andrews Cross was no doubt put on the car in the Coys picture by a much later owner. In fact Horace Richards may never even have seen this HAR."

The Saltire badge was fitted to the car by the builder, Dennis Ramsey of Pitkerrick Garage, An enthusiastic Scotish Club racer and previous owner of Jim Clarks Triumph TR. Dennis owned the car from new until the late 1990s
He was a friend of Horace Richards, and as a result, HAR was well aware of this car, I'm sure!

Full history is available at http://www.coys.co.uk

Incedentally, the body was fabricated at home using a Swallow Doretti shell as its basis, and the engine is a 2.5 litre Daimler V8 mated to an electro magnetic pre-selector gearbox