Photo

Scuderia Everest Ferrari

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_H

Paul_H

• 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:49

I've seen pictures of the Everest Ferrari during the Race of Champions 1976. Driver Giancarlo Martini droves a Ferrari 312T. So far i know was that a one off drive. Did they had plans to race the 1976 season seperated from the factory team or not?

greetz,

Paul

Advertisement

#2 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:53

I wonder if the drivers had to wear double glazed visors ?

#3 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 13:08

Team Everest was managed by Giancarlo Minardi, it was intended as a sort Ferrari "shadow" Junior team and virtually every emerging young Italian driver was linked with the project. I rememeber they did very little racing and some testing, with various drivers. The sponsors were the same of the Everest F.2 team.

#4 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 13:42

This Everest were/are a brand of condoms IIRC.

#5 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 13:48

not so sure, they were into rubber industry, but automotive related, sort of Cannon (Spice Gp. C2 sponsor).....

:-)

#6 paulsenna1

paulsenna1

• 265 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 14:16

"For 1974 the team was renamed Scuderia Everest - reflecting the increased financial, uhm, injection made by condom manufacturer Everest" quoted from http://8w.forix.com/everest.html

Paul

Merry Christmas to all

#7 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,044 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 14:44

Rare shot, isn't it?

Posted Image
© Phipps/Sutton

Gianfranco Brancatelli (ITA) Scuderia Everest March 763 Toyota Novamotor, who competed in the Formula Three support race, talks with Bernie Ecclestone (GBR) Brabham Team Owner (Right) on the grid before the start of the race. British Grand Prix, Rd 9, Brands Hatch, England, 18 July 1976

#8 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,583 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 14:58

If you don't believe the CONDOM CONNECTION just check out the E of Everest in the photo.

Remind you of anything? :blush:

:cool:

#9 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 16:54

Originally posted by Stephen W
If you don't believe the CONDOM CONNECTION just check out the E of Everest in the photo.

Remind you of anything? :blush:

:cool:

I think you're stretching your point there, Stephen.

#10 Paul_H

Paul_H

• 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 17:28

Originally posted by paulsenna1
"For 1974 the team was renamed Scuderia Everest - reflecting the increased financial, uhm, injection made by condom manufacturer Everest" quoted from http://8w.forix.com/everest.html

Paul

Merry Christmas to all

:up: thank you!

#11 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,583 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 20:31

Pun my word Tom :rotfl:

It always amused me that as BBC were boycotting Formula One because of DUREX Team Surtees they would quiet happily broadcast the Easter Monday Thruxton F2 race with the Everest March on the front row! Dual standards or just plain ignorance? I would suggest the latter. :lol:

#12 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 20:55

Originally posted by Stephen W
Pun my word Tom :rotfl:

It always amused me that as BBC were boycotting Formula One because of DUREX Team Surtees they would quiet happily broadcast the Easter Monday Thruxton F2 race with the Everest March on the front row! Dual standards or just plain ignorance? I would suggest the latter. :lol:

Don't you think the BBC let the Everest sponsored car go "because it was there"?

Sorry, can't help myself. Although, while we're on the issue of double standards, I recall that Ferrari rejected a proposal from F5000 champ Tony Adamowicz to drive their third car at Watkins Glen in 1971 because his pizza restaurant sponsorship was beneath their dignity.

#13 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 21:14

Originally posted by Paul_H
I've seen pictures of the Everest Ferrari during the Race of Champions 1976. Driver Giancarlo Martini droves a Ferrari 312T. So far i know was that a one off drive. Did they had plans to race the 1976 season seperated from the factory team or not?

greetz,

Paul

The photo must have been during Practice or on the first half of the warm up lap.

Giancarlo was well fired-up on the warm up lap, to the extent that he lost the 312T and parked it just a few feet from my feet (if you see what I mean).

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 21:28

greetz,

Paul

He kept it on the black bit at Silverstone though ....

Posted Image

That was actually the last appearance of a 312T: for lots more, see The tale of two Giancarlos at 8W.

#15 Paul_H

Paul_H

• 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 22:28

It always amused me that as BBC were boycotting Formula One because of DUREX Team Surtees they would quiet happily broadcast the Easter Monday Thruxton F2 race with the Everest March on the front row! Dual standards or just plain ignorance? I would suggest the latter.

:D Did the BBC boycot them in those days ?? Maybe Everest was not for sale in the UK perhaps, so they didn't know wat it was.....

"You never rest with condoms of Everest" could have been a nice slogan on the Ferrari......

#16 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 23:26

Sorry, I just don't want to be boring but I never saw Everest condoms here in Italy.......otherwise I remember some advertising about Everest car mats and so on.............

#17 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 23:30

:D Did the BBC boycot them in those days ?? Maybe Everest was not for sale in the UK perhaps, so they didn't know wat it was.....

"You never rest with condoms of Everest" could have been a nice slogan on the Ferrari......

Murray Walker recalls in his autobiography how he turned up at a meeting to be greeted by the producer who told him the broadcast would only go ahead if Surtees agreed to take the Durex branding off. They refused, so the BBC packed up and went home ....

I've often wondered if Mary Whitehouse was behind all that fuss.

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 00:38

Originally posted by AAA-Eagle
Rare shot, isn't it?

Posted Image
© Phipps/Sutton

Now what could that wording on the side of the car mean?

'Flessibilli' is the second word, what's the other one? 'La*ballaggi'?

I can only guess what that all means... at this stage...

#19 Paul_H

Paul_H

• 19 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 01:12

Murray Walker recalls in his autobiography how he turned up at a meeting to be greeted by the producer who told him the broadcast would only go ahead if Surtees agreed to take the Durex branding off. They refused, so the BBC packed up and went home ....

: Strange, because later that year there was a Grand-Prix in july and i guess that was a live coverage on tv.

Advertisement

#20 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 15:01

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Now what could that wording on the side of the car mean?

'Flessibilli' is the second word, what's the other one? 'La*ballaggi'?

I can only guess what that all means... at this stage...

It's possible to read the correct words in the other side of the March: Imballaggi flessibili, (something about plastic packing) Speedprint, the mean sponsor of Brancatelli in F. 3 and F. 2 in those years.

Originally posted by fausto

Sorry, I just don't want to be boring but I never saw Everest condoms here in Italy.......otherwise I remember some advertising about Everest car mats and so on.............

I agree. Everest is NOT a condom brand: if you look at the end of the "strange" E of Everest, you can see "Gomma". The complete name of this italian company was Everest Gomma, they produced car mats since 1950, the founder was a certain Angelo Gallignani.

The story of Team Minardi began in 1972-73 as "Scuderia del Passatore" (Passatore was an historical figure of bandit in the region of Faenza, a sort of italian Robin Hood... ;) ), when Giancarlo Martini (uncle of Pierluigi Martini) won the title in Formula Italia (a series of small single-seaters with Fiat 1800cc engine) at the wheel of a Minardi's car. In 1974 Mr. Gallignani decided to support Minardi and the team changed name in Team Everest: Giancarlo Martini drove the Ferrari F. 1, Lamberto Leoni and Gabriele Serblin raced in F. 2.
The sponsorship of Everest Gomma was stopped at the end of 1979, Team Minardi was born.

#21 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:26

:wave:

Elio never gave out freebies to us in Italy.;)

Posted Image

#22 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 14:55

Originally posted by Nanni Dietrich

I agree. Everest is NOT a condom brand: if you look at the end of the "strange" E of Everest, you can see "Gomma". The complete name of this italian company was Everest Gomma, they produced car mats since 1950, the founder was a certain Angelo Gallignani.

Everest Gomma (from Fusignano) also made rubber covers to put up front the grill during cold winter time. At least they made them for Lancias!

(Note that Pirelli as a rubber (! cause of misinterpretation?) manufacturer also made other automotive products as well as air hoses, matresses and hot water jugs)

#23 Gallogolf

Gallogolf

• 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 17:17

Hi All

I am Andrea Gallignani, son of the Scuderia Everest founder, Angelo Gallignani.
Everest Group was't in condom business but we used to produce rubber items for automotive and building industries.
now Everest brand doesn't exist but our company is REMP - if you log to www.remprubber.com you will see that we still follow motor racing.
if you want to learn more about Scuderia Everest and other contact me.

Ciao all
Andrea Gallignani

#24 Marcel Visbeen

Marcel Visbeen

• 237 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 17:39

Originally posted by Gallogolf

Hello Andrea,
welcome to TNF. may I take this opportunity to direct you to this thread here at TNF where I tried to reconstruct the deal that Ferrari made with the Everest team, and I asked if someone could fill in the blancs of my story. Since there are still quite a few questions left I hope that you may be the one to finally complete the story.
Hope you can take a look. Thank you.
Ciao Marcel.

#25 deangelis86

deangelis86

• 365 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 20:37

Originally posted by Gallogolf
Hi All

I am Andrea Gallignani, son of the Scuderia Everest founder, Angelo Gallignani.
Everest Group was't in condom business but we used to produce rubber items for automotive and building industries.
now Everest brand doesn't exist but our company is REMP - if you log to www.remprubber.com you will see that we still follow motor racing.

Ciao all
Andrea Gallignani

Andrea, greetings my friend and welcome to AtlasF1! I think you know who this is...the avatar probably gives it away just a bit....;)

Hope to see you around here more often (and guys, Andrea's got some great stories I can assure you)

:wave:

#26 Gallogolf

Gallogolf

• 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 16:47

Hi
Very grateful that somebody is still interested in very Old Italian motor racing story!

The reason of this deal was because Mr Ferrari would like to grow some good Italian drivers and he chosen Gian Carlo Minardi /Everest Racing Team (correct name Scuderia Everest).
Coming to your questions I can tell you that after the first meeting with Enzo Ferrari Nov 1974, we agree to start the F1 program with some young Italian drivers (Gabriele Serblin, Lamberto Leoni and later Gian Carlo Martini and Maurizio Flammini).
The first test was in Misano, June 1974.
We always tested the B3 at the Misano racetrack, never at Imola or Fiorano.
We never tested the 312 T but Martini had only shake-down in Fiorano before leaving for Brands Hatch.
We don't remember the chassis of the B3 but it was the car normally used by Clay Regazzoni during the 1974 season and it always been the same car we had.
The first agreement was that we had to race all European Grand Prix of 1976 season with 312T+ two Race of Champions and Daily Trophy but after the two extra World Championship races the deal was interrupted because it may be wasn’t the right way to grow Italian drivers.
In spite of this, 6 months later, Mr. Minardi and Mr. Ferrari found another way to support young Italian drivers with the official supplying for the 1977 / 78 F2 seasons of DINO 206 engines for Formula 2 cars still involved in the Scuderia Everest.
During that time a great Italian talent, Elio de Angelis, had the opportunity to join the Scuderia Everest and drive the F2 Ralt – Ferrari in 1977 and the Chevron – Ferrari in 1978 and he also did many test in Fiorano (many laps record etc.) with the Ferrari T3 F1 because it was the period of the “flying Gilles”…but this is another story!!

Andrea G

#27 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:40

Look what I bought on Ebay: this is an LP record with (I dont know yet as I havent received it yet) musi and racing sounds :stoned: The seller wrote: "music beat with screaming crescendo of racing cars, for cars fans only"

Posted Image

Holiday question: Who, What and Where (When?). People with more info on the lp will receive bonus points!

#28 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:39

it's a March 762, Giancarlo Martini drives it, don't know where....

#29 Reyna

Reyna

• 630 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:54

Originally posted by fausto
it's a March 762, Giancarlo Martini drives it, don't know where....

Rouen.

#30 Gallogolf

Gallogolf

• 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:33

Rouen racingtrack June 27th 1976
Race position : 3rd

#31 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 14:12

Thank you for the quick response. I knew March and Martini, but the rest. I will let you know what is on the album when I receive (in one piece please mail man!!).
Anyone familiair with the "Dave Myers Effect"???

#32 Paul_H

Paul_H

• 19 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 14:29

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos
Thank you for the quick response. I knew March and Martini, but the rest. I will let you know what is on the album when I receive (in one piece please mail man!!).

Perhaps This??

#33 Roly

Roly

• 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:18

Here you have a picture from the '76 internaional trophy race at Silverstone : http://www.racingspo...6-04-11-036.jpg

And the race of champions at Brand Hatch: http://www.racingspo...6-03-14-036.jpg

Roland

#34 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:17

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos

Well I received this album finally and had a fun time playing it. Its cover is very nice as you can see. On the back some other shots but unfortunately not of Scuderia Everest. On the album you hear nice rock music that was apparantly recorded mid-seventies, but is in my opnion more suited to the sixties. Anyhow, there are sounds of racing cars on it, as an intro or finale of some of the songs. However no link to what and where (I suppose it is F2 what we hear). Not interesting as a document such as the Schofield or Riverside albums I have. Just for fun.

#35 Bondurand

Bondurand

• 166 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:03

Is there any portrait of GC Martini somewhere? I only found his nephew, who drove for the same Minardi someyears after...

I'm also trying to figure what is on the yellow band on the visor of his helmet, I did not find a clear enough picture.

(Why? working on sim-racing project, trying to model the latest "private" Ferraris)

#36 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 14:04

I remember the black air boxed Ferrari at Silverstone -Did Brancatelli ever drive that car?
Also i find it odd that a race that heavliy featured Richard Scotts Durex Lola was happily covered at Brands the previous year so why the big fuss about Surtees?

#37 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 22:01

I never spotted this thread before, so, somewhat late in the day, post a (grotty) pic from Silverstone 1976 (International Trophy) and one from Aurora, Donington 1978, when he drove the Hi-Line Car Stripes Ensign. (Hope the portrait is of some use, Bondurand)

Posted Image Posted Image

#38 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 23:08

You find models of the No 36 Ferrari 312 T quite often on e bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

#39 Bondurand

Bondurand

• 166 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:12

Originally posted by Alan Cox
(Hope the portrait is of some use, Bondurand)

]

Great !! :clap:

any hint on what was on the yellow stripe on his visor?

Advertisement

#40 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:51

Giancarlo trounced the Aurora field that day Alan didn't he, made the regulars look somewhat second-rate. The F2 section had a 'novel' winner as well, driver and car.

#41 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:53

Originally posted by Bondurand

Great !! :clap:
any hint on what was on the yellow stripe on his visor?

Posted Image
1976 Race of Champions