Photo

Peterson Lotus72 in 1973

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Marc

Marc

• 87 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:27

I read that in 1973, Chapman had reinforced the "frame" ( chassis) of lotus 72 so that it resists to the hard piloting of Ronnie. Is it true, or is it a legend ?
Thank you, and sorry for my poor english ... :

Advertisement

#2 Vrba

Vrba

• 3,334 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:56

Doug Nye claimed so in his "History of the Grand Prix Car 1966-1991"...."Peterson's cars [72/6 and 72/8] were progressively reinforced to endure his driving style". No specification of reinforcing was made. Now, I don't exactly remember what Michael Oliver said in his Lotus 72 book but I'll check.

Hrvoje

#3 Marc

Marc

• 87 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:06

Thanks, Vrba :)

#4 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:40

I restored 72/6 from a bare tub upwards in 1985 and there was no visual evidence of non-standard or added on strengthening .

#5 jorism

jorism

• 179 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:00

I didn't read anything about that in the Tipler biography, so I think it's not true.

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:09

Vrba/Jorism - Comment based upon a direct quote from Colin Chapman which I THINK referred to re-stressing the suspension mounting frames front and rear to withstand Ronnie's unrestrained use of kerbs.

DCN

#7 jorism

jorism

• 179 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:17

Ok Doug, if you say it I believe you! Nevertheless it's strange that Tipler doesn't mention it in his book.

#8 Vrba

Vrba

• 3,334 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:06

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Vrba/Jorism - Comment based upon a direct quote from Colin Chapman which I THINK referred to re-stressing the suspension mounting frames front and rear to withstand Ronnie's unrestrained use of kerbs.

DCN

Thanks! In fact, I was always thinking that those modifications were mostly carried out on suspension parts.

Hrvoje

#9 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,591 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:08

Chapman probably thought if he spent 50p on a bolt rather than 10p it might last longer! :rotfl:

#10 Marc

Marc

• 87 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 13:09

Very interesting!
I did not think that the subject would interest as many people ...
Thank you everybody ;)

#11 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 13:55

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jorism
Ok Doug, if you say it I believe you! Nevertheless it's strange that Tipler doesn't mention it in his book. [/QUOTE

You obviously are more of a Tipler fan than I am...............................

#12 jorism

jorism

• 179 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 15:20

Originally posted by Ruairidh
You obviously are more of a Tipler fan than I am...............................

Not at all, there are more things I think he should have done a better research.

For example, this paragraph in the biography (page 25) :

Ronnie's brother Tommy (two year younger), an emergency optician, moved back into the family home after their parents died in the late 1990s. Tommy Peterson realised early on that his brother was the favoured son because of his extroardinay talent. "He knew what Ronnie could do in a car," said Sverenic Eriksson, later Ronnie's media relations man. The Peterson brothers didn't get on that well, and Tommy was always overshadowed by Ronnie in terms of parental attention. "At
times that was hard to swallow,"said Sveneric."He's still a bit resentful. That part of the Peterson family was not particularly happy." Tommy went on to the Scandinavian races in the role of helper rather than mechanic, and later attended some of the European F1 races such as Monaco. Tommy never did any circuit racing but rallied in obsolete cars, doing fairly well so long as he remained on the track. "A number of friends have fond memories of 'Wild Tommy' in a superb opposite lock in true Peterson family tradition," said Sveneric.

This is a perfect example from bad journalistic I think. I have a Swedish friend who knows Tommy very good. He says this about it: Sveneric puts the word that Tommy still feels "humiliated" which isn´t true. I have spoken quite a lot with Tommy regarding this and I honestly believe in Tommy's version and Sveneric didn´t tell for what purpose he asked those questions. I think when you ask personal questions like that you should always tell the purpose with it. The setup wasn´t an proper interview and Sveneric didn´t make any notes and didn´t use any taperecorder.

On that same page Tipler says that Örebro, Ronnie's hometown, has 200,000 inhabitants but actually they have 120,000 people.