Photo

Rare opportunity to buy...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 13:29

In the new 'Classic Cars' is a feature interview with Nick Mason, in which he says his BRM V16 Mk 2 is for sale.

Just hope it stays in the UK and gets used.

Paul M

Advertisement

#2 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 13:49

Unfortunately WAY out of my price range :(

#3 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 19:32

Have you noticed that Nick Mason was described as "car collector Nick Mason" or "Ferrari enthusiast Nick Mason" or occasioanlly "former rock star Nick Mason" for years until last Saturday and now he's "Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason" again?

Maybe I'm just a particular age but I thought they were fantastic.

Allen

#4 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 20:48

The BBC are running a poll. You can vote for the best act at Live 8. Pink Floyd lead comfortably with 30%. A stunning performance to show the young rock fans exactly how it should be done.
Bravo Mr. Mason & co. Pity Steve O'Rourke is not around to see it.

#5 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 21:26

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

Pity Steve O'Rourke is not around to see it.

Indeed.

Allen; a testament to our somewhat fickle media!

#6 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 21:35

Originally posted by Macca
~
Just hope it stays in the UK and gets used .
~

Hear! Hear!

#7 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 22:07

The BBC are running a poll. You can vote for the best act at Live 8. Pink Floyd lead comfortably with 30%. A stunning performance to show the young rock fans exactly how it should be done.
Bravo Mr. Mason & co. Pity Steve O'Rourke is not around to see it.

They may have led earlier but after 103,000 votes it's Velvet Revolver leading with 34%, Pink Floyd on 25% and Madonna on 14%.

I voted for Pink Floyd. Having been at one of their last concerts late in 1980, it was extraordinary to see these old fogies singing and playing just as well as ever a quarter of a century later. Dave Gilmour was amazing but after all their arguments and court battles in the 1980s I never thought I'd see Roger Waters playing alongside him again. Gilmour has also said today that he will donate any royalties from increased sales to Live 8.

Who are Velvet Revolver anyway? Am I too old?

Allen

#8 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:09

I've still got the spark plug box for it...

;)

#9 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:12

Originally posted by Allen Brown

Allen

The offspring of the Velvet Underground?? and yes...Probably :up:

#10 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:19

They are the remaining members of LA band Guns 'n' Roses without singer Axl Rose.

#11 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:35

It was reported on radio yesterday that on Monday Pink Floyd Album sales sky rocketed way beyond all others.

Of all cars , I wonder why Nick would want to sell the V16 - such a landmark car that attracted attention of the whole nation when the project was revealed ?

#12 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:10

I believe that is the last we will see of The Pink Floyd unfortunately. David Gilmour has not got the desire anymore, only agreeing after much persuasion from Geldof to do Live 8 at the last minute, on the day before the text applications for tickets ended. Nick however has often said he would be willing to carry on if the rest would, perhaps he needs another Floyd tour ( estimates say it would gross $100M in the USA alone!) to pay for the running costs of the BRM? :lol:

#13 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:15

Back to Pink Floyd for a moment, I was looking through some old race programmes recently, the Floyd actually played at Brands Hatch in 1967, as did David Bowie, at a Radio London sponsored club meeting in the summer of '67.

#14 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 14:20

I believe that is the last we will see of The Pink Floyd unfortunately. David Gilmour has not got the desire anymore, only agreeing after much persuasion from Geldof to do Live 8 at the last minute, on the day before the text applications for tickets ended. Nick however has often said he would be willing to carry on if the rest would, perhaps he needs another Floyd tour ( estimates say it would gross $100M in the USA alone!) to pay for the running costs of the BRM? :lol:

Heard this morning that they had been guaranteed $150M for a US Tour...

Thought "Comfortably Numb" was brilliant...

#15 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 14:40

Erm, I thought that Pink Floyd were the best act shown on the BBC by far, and Pink Floyd were before my time........ There is an extra guitarist in Velvet Revolver who wasn't in Guns 'n' Roses, and the singer Scott Weilands came from the Stone Temple Pilots? Even my wife thought they were the best, and she's a heavy metaller (she would have rather seen the Berlin show).

#16 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 15:07

Back to Pink Floyd for a moment, I was looking through some old race programmes recently, the Floyd actually played at Brands Hatch in 1967, as did David Bowie, at a Radio London sponsored club meeting in the summer of '67.

Oh, if only I was a few years older....Bowie and Syd Barrett-era Floyd doing a gig at a Brands Hatch race meeting.....frustration setting in now!!!

#17 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 15:13

I spent most of my teens and 20s being lukewarm about Floyd - you put Wish You Were Here on when you wanted to skin up, and The Wall if you were moping, they were totems rather than albums, but Dark Side was Dad Rock and Dad Rock was Bad Rock... but I started warming to them about ten years ago. They were superb on Saturday, though - Gilmour was utterly theatrical and his guitar work was stunning, even though you could really see the tension between him and Waters - who looked overcome by the reception they were getting (then again, anyone who tried to tour Radio KAOS would probably be overwhelmed by any form of positive audience reaction ;))

Got to put in a good word for the survivors of The Who as well, although as one wit said it would've been nice to see them doing some old songs, not CSI theme tunes ;P

Coming back to motorsport, ex-Grand Prix driver Bob Williams did quite a good little set too - he's looking very well-preserved since he locked himself in the lav on the day of the final race of his oh-so-close Championship challenge....;)

#18 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 15:25

Does anyone have a gut-feeling for what the BRM might fetch at auction? (Or any other form of sale really.)

#19 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 15:55

Originally posted by 2F-001
Does anyone have a gut-feeling for what the BRM might fetch at auction? (Or any other form of sale really.)

In the current market - I'd guess at about $3m. But who'd buy? Bruce McCaw possibly?

Advertisement

#20 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 16:12

Why do people keep talking about BRMs on a Pink Floyd thread?

#21 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 16:15

You want the thread to become pink and fluffy?

#22 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 16:24

Originally posted by petefenelon
...Got to put in a good word for the survivors of The Who as well...

I thought Won't Get Fooled Again was a real tour de force with Townshend clearly in top form.

What was this thread about again ?!! :lol:

Mark

#23 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:21

The Who only did two out of the three CSI's, so not a complete tour de force......

#24 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:26

...........Are they running that again this year, then.........The Tour de Force ?

#25 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:57

Originally posted by MCS

I thought Won't Get Fooled Again was a real tour de force with Townshend clearly in top form.

What was this thread about again ?!! :lol:

Mark

I really should have read the line up for Live 8 before decidng to ignore it. I only realised The Who were there wehen I read about it in the paper on a train going to work on Monday. When I realised what I had missed, I let out a howl of anguish and got some very strange looks from fellow commuters.

#26 Madelier

Madelier

• 58 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:06

Coming back to motorsport, ex-Grand Prix driver Bob Williams did quite a good little set too - he's looking very well-preserved since he locked himself in the lav on the day of the final race of his oh-so-close Championship challenge....

Conspiracy theorists have it that the entourage of a certain talented young scotsman were involved in assisting the locking mechanism of the amenity room with super glue. :smoking:

Consequently, Bob Williams retired from the sport decrying 'unsportsman like behaviour' and scratched out a living on the lecture circuit, until one day someone asked him to sing...

#27 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:28

I took no interest in Live 8 when I saw who would be there, and that PW wouldn't be. I suspect Live Aid was enough for him, and he wouldn't have been seen dead with the Dad-Rockers...

On the subject of Steve O'R, I guess his FW07 is now one of the ones used in TGP ??

#28 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:46

'...........Are they running that again this year, then.........The Tour de Force ?'
A tour de force is forced to tour ??

#29 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:29

Originally posted by Gary C
'...........Are they running that again this year, then.........The Tour de Force ?'

A majestic 7th win for Lance Reventlow.

As for the Live 8 gig, I was hoping that the Who will do my favourite 'I can see for miles'. Oh well, I was disappointed, and that the Spice Girls didn't get to reunite.

I'll go now... :blush:

#30 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:07

When he read that Floyd, including Nick Mason, were at Live 8, my Dad actually said, wasn't there a race that weekend? A local Chicago station (WXRT, 93.1) has been playing bits of different performances from the Live 8 shows for the last couple weeks. Some good stuff there. (you can hear the station over the 'net from their website, 93xrt.com, if you're really curious).

I'm interested in the BRM, and am trying to negotiate a part-ex with my Miata, as I don't think Nick has one in his collection.

-William (not really getting rid of the Miata!)

#31 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,664 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:56

Who are BRM, and have they had any hit records?

#32 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 781 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 22:11

They had a number one back in '62 with "Papa Hill"

#33 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 14:18

Originally posted by dbltop
Who are BRM, and have they had any hit records?

:D A band from Brighton, BRM stood for Battle of Rockers and Mods. Has Henk said they had a #1 hit in 1962, then struggled in the psychedelic years, made their way back on top of the charts in the early 70s but sadly faded away when both the lead singer and guitarist died while performing on stage :cry: . The manager tried to set the band back up in the disco days, but that was a fiasco. Typical band of the era I guess :stoned:
Re Live8 - I'm a huge Floyd fan, I thought their performance was OK but, guys, the real thing would have been to have Syd come on the stage, no ?

#34 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,950 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 14:46

Originally posted by Allen Brown

They're not even the best band with either the word "Velvet" or "Revolver" in the group name.

Has Tom Wheatcroft got a spare bob or two?

And why do I have the sneaky feeling that a certain B C Rollingstone might be interested?

#35 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 18:17

Originally posted by ensign14
They're not even the best band with either the word "Velvet" or "Revolver" in the group name.

Has Tom Wheatcroft got a spare bob or two?

And why do I have the sneaky feeling that a certain B C Rollingstone might be interested?

Hard to think of a worse band even without the words Velvet & Revolver in the name - most people who said they liked V.R. at Live8 also said Razorlight were brilliant (and they struggled to make V.R. look good).

Isn't Wheatcroft having another V16 built anyway - no need to buy something when you can have it made (Bugatti Royale, Mercedes W25, Thinwall Special for example)......

Latest thing I read said the V-16 had already been sold, which might explain H&H digging out the patterns to Tom's advantage................

Burny would certainly be a potential owner (but only if it was relatively 'cheap') or Bruce McCaw - but I think one of them already has a V16.
The Collier collection has some very appropriate stablemates as well.

#36 Jonas

Jonas

• 221 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 15:43

Originally posted by Peter Morley
Isn't Wheatcroft having another V16 built anyway - no need to buy something when you can have it made (Bugatti Royale, Mercedes W25 , Thinwall Special for example)......

I never heard that there was a replica being made of a W25! What's the story here? Who's making it/them? And from what? Drawings? An original? There's a W25 (1936) in the Schlumpf collection, isn't there? So could it be that the replica/-s are made after this?

#37 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:26

Originally posted by Jonas
I never heard that there was a replica being made of a W25! What's the story here? Who's making it/them? And from what? Drawings? An original? There's a W25 (1936) in the Schlumpf collection, isn't there? So could it be that the replica/-s are made after this?

The story I heard is that the idea is to build several of them, obviously the idea would be to sell the others to finance the project leader's own car.

No idea how they would do it but Mercedes might still have the drawings, like Audi did for the Auto-Unions, of course they might not be keen to see them used in this way (unless they wanted one themselves).