Photo

'Sensitive'

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 18:35

I've just added a report of the 1974 World Kart Championships to my website courtesy of Karting Magazine and quite an eventful event it was too! Future F1 stars such as Patrese, Cheever and Prost were battling it out with the likes of Lake Speed and established karting champions. Great Britain was represented by the likes of Fullerton, Edgar and a mysterious chap who went by the name of "Sensitive" as he did not want to be identified. "Sensitive" did not feature in the finals, which were dominated by the Italians, but he did make a name for himself by oversleeping and this would have meant him missing his race had there not been controversy over noise levels of some karts.

The fact that Riccardo Patrese won the title at Estoril in 1974 was of prime interest to me, but reading the report I was left wondering who this "Sensitive" was. Does anyone know?

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 21:02

Originally posted by Maldwyn
"Sensitive" did not feature in the finals, which were dominated by the Italians, but he did make a name for himself by oversleeping and this would have meant him missing his race had there not been controversy over noise levels of some karts.

Did they wake him up?

#3 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 21:30

It doesn't read that way. "Sensitive" slept in while protests were being dealt with by the CIK and woke up ready to race as if nothing was amiss. Meanwhile the problems over noise and penalties had been sorted out. Presumably he enjoyed a very good night's sleep :p although embarassment may be the reason for not disclosing his name!

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 00:25

It's too early for 'Sensitive' to be our Noige, isn't it?

#5 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 06:22

Maybe, although in the same magazine there are reports (continued from the previous issue) of the Midland Championships including this:

210 National A Final
Nigel Mansell proceeded to win this class for the fourth year running, with Mark Allen second. While lying fourth, Mick Hawker's engine started spluttering and slowed right down but still finished. While this was going on Nigel Smith came through the field to beat Bert Hoare into fourth place with Eddie Cortijo in fifth place.

Having said all that Bruno Ferrari, mentioned in the World Championship report, is listed as finishing second in the 100 International class of the Midland Championships so it's possible Mansell was in Portugal as well :

#6 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 15:21

Maybe, although in the same magazine there are reports (continued from the previous issue) of the Midland Championships including this:
Having said all that Bruno Ferrari, mentioned in the World Championship report, is listed as finishing second in the 100 International class of the Midland Championships so it's possible Mansell was in Portugal as well :

I pretty sure when Mansell was racing his Dale Falcon in 210 National in 74, he wasn't racing 100c karts as well. He did that earlier I think. (Mansell was unusual in moving from gearbox karts to FF...most ambitious karters didn't bother with the gearbox classes.)

#7 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:34

I'm pleased to say that the mystery has been solved with the help of 'Steve C' from UK Karting :up: Dave Bewley was able to confirm to him that "Sensitive" was Malcolm Pyne, who only made the team that year and then packed in Karting altogether.

#8 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:58

Malcolm Pyne.

Glad to see you've got to the root of the problem. Now you can leaf it alone, I bet it needled you.

#9 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:15

Well, it's probably not something I would have taken to my grave worrying about, but it's nice to find the answer :)

#10 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:24

:rotfl:

I don't think he twigged.......................but fir what it's worth, I was impressed.

Paul M

#11 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:40

It wood be nice if people didn't branch out into silly puns on this thread. And I'm awaiting a contribution from Stuart Forrest....

#12 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:57

Did Dudley Wood ever do any Karting, or Roger Willoughby for that matter ...

#13 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 13:04

Originally posted by ensign14
Glad to see you've got to the root of the problem. Now you can leaf it alone, I bet it needled you.

Originally posted by Macca
I don't think he twigged.......................but fir what it's worth, I was impressed.

I couldn't see the wood for the trees at the time.