Photo

'Little' Sebring 1957

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 16:34

I am trying to find information about a race held at Sebring in 1957, completely ignored by the race magazines at the time. Before the 12-Hour race, which started on Saturday, a 3 Hour race was held on Friday. Apparently it was the first such crowd pleaser in Sebring history, to be repeated in later years with races for small GT cars. One source remembers the winning car as a Ferrari 500TRC, possibly driven by Jan de Vroom and David Cunningham. Would anybody know of a source covering the types/classes of cars entered [sportsracers only, or including GTs] and the top finishers?

WINO

Advertisement

#2 rlnorton

rlnorton

• 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 17:17

MotoRacing for April 5-12, 1957 (Volume 2, Number 12) gives the a brief report on page 15:

Sebring, Fla., March 24.-The Second Little Sebring, sponsored by the Miami Spurts Car Club, and run today following the "Big Race," was a three-hour race, with participants drawn from the reserves unable to compete yesterday and other visiting drivers. The event had the cooperation of the Sebring Firemen, Inc.
OVERALL
1, Ferrari, David Cunningham; 2, Porsche Carrera, Denise McCluggage; 3, AC Bristol, Duncan Forlong; 4, Porsche 550. John Cochran: 5, Cooper, Leech, Cracraft; 6, AC Bristol, E. Welch; 7, Porsche 550, Victor Herzog; 8. Jaguar, Joe Cerquone; 9, Corvette, M. Mees; 10, Alfa Veloce, Dr. Harry E. Fry, Jr.
CLASS WINNERS
C Production, Jaguar, J. Cerquone; D Production, Austin Healey, A. Habersin; E Production, Lotus, Duncan Forlong; E Modified, Ferrari, David Cunningham; F Production, Porsche 1600, Buel Kinne; F Production Touring, Volvo, L. Thurber; MGA Class, C. Kurtz; F Modified, Porsche Carrera, Denise McCluggage; E Modified, Ferrari, David Cunningham; G Production, Alfa Romeo Veloce, Dr. Harry Fry; G Modified, Cooper, Leech Cracraft; H Production Touring, DB Panhard, H. Hanna; H Modified. Crosley, Charles Brett.

The CD Scans of the complete MotoRacing are available at:
http://www.vintage-s...cing/index.html

Bob

#3 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 18:09

Bob,

Many thanks. It never occurred to me to check my own MotoRacing CDs. It just shows how indispensible these CDs are. Thanks for all great work in putting them together.

However, one mystery is not solved by your reply. Today Lloyd Perry Casner, now 46 years old and son of Lucky Casner, has an item in his display cabinet that dates back to his dad's racing career: two ribbons with the words : "Sebring 3 Hours 1957" and one has the word "driver" added. This leads me to expect that Casner Sr. won, if not first overall, at least his class. He ran an MGA at New Smyrna Beach one month earlier, yet he doed not show up in your Sebring results.

WINO

#4 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:55

It would appear that Casner wasn't in the first ten, but may well have run.