Who tested the Lotus 56B in 1970

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 20:24

Hi Guys

I have read that the Lotus Turbine car the 56B was tested in 1970, but didn't run before Brands Hatch a year later. But who tested the car and where and then. Pictures would off cause be nice. But I have never seen anyone.

Second: Did Jorchen Rint have an oppinion about the project or did he even tried the car. I find it must unlikely that he ever did. But I like to be sure.

Thrid: Is there someone who holds at copy of Autocourse 1971/72 and who would like to share the Car specification for the 56B. Any information will be must welcome

Best regards

:wave:

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 21:19

John Miles, Reine Wisell??

#3 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 22:05

Don't have any of my mags anymore but I vaguely remember a pic in an around late August 1970/early September issue of Autosport (page 3?). Wouldn't surprise me if John Miles tested.

I could be wrong though...

#4 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 23:29

In Turbine Grand Prix by Gerard Crombac it states that Fittipaldi and Wisell tested the 56B in 1970. Fittipaldi, Wisell and Walker raced the car at various times in 1971. Crombac reports that when he spoke to Rindt at the South African GP in 1970 he was very positive about the turbine car.

David

#5 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 00:16

I found a "snippet" in one of the columns in Autoweek, December 19, 1970:

"Lotus hasn't given up on its 56B Formula One turbine project. Work goes ahead and Emerson Fittipaldi tested it recently at Snetterton, lapping in 1:23.2 against his best time in a Lotus 72 which was 1:23.3. Turbines work better at higher altitudes - too bad it couldn't be used in Mexico. One big problem is fuel consumption - about 320 liters are required for a GP. Don't be surprised if the Lotus turbine is on the starting grid in 1971."

No pictures, sorry.

#6 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:45

Crombac said that the only thing wrong with the 56B is that it was a 4WD car. But another thing is that it could not keep brakes together and all the disks were cracking.

T54

#7 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 18:38

Thank You guys

Very useful information. Because now I know for sure that the car was tested in 1970. I will now try to e-mail Reine Wisell and hear what he says about it. I believe he lives in Malmö just across the bridge from Copenhagen. So for a guy living in Denmark it shouldn’t be that difficult. So maybe I’m lucky.

Scheivlak mention something from Autosport in August - September. And Scheivlak I strongly believe that you are right about it. But is there someone who can inform me about the exact issue, as I would like to buy it if possible. Motor brought a very nice article about the car in mid 1971. But I’ve would be very surprised if Autosport would let go of this project unnoticed. So my next question is – Didn’t Autosport have anything to say about this very special F1 car after it raced at Brands Hatch. (And in the hands of Emerson Fittipaldi). The one and only Turbine F1 Grand Prix car

Best Regards

#8 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 18:58

I will now try to e-mail Reine Wisell and hear what he says about it.

Do let us know if he replies. I always thought that Wisell was very underrated. He was a superb F3 racer up to 69, and got a third place at his first GP. I remember seeing him at Silverstone in late '69 in Sid Taylor's F5000 McLaren (I think it was his first F5000 race) and he looked very impressive.

He also had the world's most impressive sideburns...........

#9 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 19:26

Originally posted by Cirrus

Do let us know if he replies. I always thought that Wisell was very underrated. He was a superb F3 racer up to 69, and got a third place at his first GP. I remember seeing him at Silverstone in late '69 in Sid Taylor's F5000 McLaren (I think it was his first F5000 race) and he looked very impressive.

Posted Image

Oh yes...

(debris on negative copyright DABgp)

#10 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 20:16

"I always thought that Wisell was very underrated"

Oh yes he was. He was just unlucky. Maybe he wasn't on the level of Ronnie Peterson, but I believe he was very close. If just the Lotus 72 had been up to it in 1971 or the 56BTurbine car had been the revolution Chapman believed it to be. It would maybe have turned up differently. Reine Wisell was a top driver.

Best regards

#11 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 20:20

And Yes - I’ve will keep you informed. Just stay on it :up:

best regards

#12 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:29

Simon Taylor also "track tested" the 56B for Autosport, there was a mention in his CLASSIC & SPORTSCAR column a while back. Apparently the throttle was locked shut and he was allowed to trundle round at tickover (which was not too slow once momentum had built up) as a PR stunt.
There was a nice cover photo on the magazine but unfortunately I don't have that specific one in stock at the moment (sod's law...)

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com
Supplying Enthusiasts Worldwide Since 1985

#13 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:45

Originally posted by Cirrus

Emerson's were quite impressive too - they reminded me of carpet tiles. Perhaps Chunky wrote a sideburn clause into their contracts when they signed for Lotus, as his own were developing nicely at around the same time.

#14 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:47

Originally posted by ian senior

Emerson's were quite impressive too - they reminded me of carpet tiles. Perhaps Chunky wrote a sideburn clause into their contracts when they signed for Lotus, as his own were developing nicely at around the same time.

Discussing here?
Posted Image

Photo Copyright DABgp and his Zenit E