Photo

Motorfilms Quarterly volume 13

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 14:05

Having sung the praises of new entrant " Yesterday's Racers " earlier this week , I'm now going to do the same for the very latest offering, MFQ 13 , from Doug Nye and David Weguelin, which has just touched down and I have to say is their best yet.

The 1961 Monte carlo Rally with Raymond Baxter both a competitor and the commentator from the viewpoint of the Rootes Group works team lovely period piece that reminds you how much better contemporary rallying could be if the cars got rid of all the driver aids, the 4 wheel drive, the huge horsepower, the armies of staff and the driving crews had to be a bit more self-reliant.

An interview with Bill Boddy - fantastic , this is worth the price on it's own. the doyen of Motor Sport journalism, though now in his mid nineties is still as sharp as a razor as he tells his life story via early atmospheric days at Brooklands, up to the point where he was made Editor at 21 - enthralling - I do hope there is a lot more of this to come ! Thank goodness someone has been and recorded these experiences at last ! Trully fascinating stuff.

A half hour BRSCC Club night film made by the extraordinary David Roscoe and those fabulous 50's tones of commentator Nevil Lloyd - "Wheelspin 61 - The 1961 BRSCC Racing Season " I've seen some of Roscoe & Lloyd before but never this one - its exceptionally good

Then a look a a real time capsule "THE" 'Williams' 35B that won the '29 Monaco GP '4914' untouched for over 50 years and its coming up for auction next month at Goodwood
Doug waxes lyrical as he conducts an archeological 'dig' on this completely unrestored running GP winner with the help of a female Mallard! Makes you wish you were there !

Finally a bit of stock car mayhem at Langhorne, USA in the late '40s - what were they thinking !

This video opens rather differently to the usual, - gone are the piles of books in the library, as the programme opens we see a ring of bright water with goldfish ? as the camera pulls back , there is Doug , - with a fishing rod ? on a rock by a pond ? - or so I thought ..........but was that really a fishing rod ?

If you have never bought MFQ.......then do start with this one , its a knockout, 90 minutes of great interest and entertainment , well done all, keep it up, you have a most appreciative audience I do assure you www.motorfilms.com We are lucky we have people gathering and releasing all this wonderful archive material .............OK Gary now the ball is back in your court !
This all beats the hell out of Broadcast television .

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 16:44

Blimey! This DOES sound good! I'll get it next week.

#3 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 18:04

Gary, as Richard states, it is their best yet. :clap:

Sorry Mr Nye but I had a laugh out loud at the Gnome in the garden.

MFQ just gets better and better, I hope they can keep it up.

BTW has anyone thought of interviewing Raymond Baxter on film, Spitfire Pilot (Supermarine not Triumph) Motor Sport competitor and commentator, broadcaster, surely he must have had a fascinating life with an anecdote or three to pass on....

Cheers

David

#4 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 18:51

If I subscribe, would I be sure it arrives to the US?
I had plenty of problems with Royal Mail in the past.

#5 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 18:59

Originally posted by frogeye59
BTW has anyone thought of interviewing Raymond Baxter on film

BBC South did tonight - about his time in a Spitfire OTU.

#6 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 19:03

Originally posted by RS2000

BBC South did tonight - about his time in a Spitfire OTU.

My luck that is, I'm in the midlands region, I'll have to keep my eyes open... it may do the rounds.

As it happens I've just done a quick yahoo search and ... theres a book out in september !!!

http://www.tesco.com...px?R=1904943322

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 20:03

Originally posted by frogeye59
Sorry Mr Nye but I had a laugh out loud at the Gnome in the garden.

No need to apologise - I'm used to it... :smoking: Glad MFQ is appreciated - Weg puts an immense amount of effort into it.

Doug

#8 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:53

Just got 13 yesterday -- b;luddy brilliant. Best one so far, I reckon.
Favourite quote?? From the WB interview ...'Is this too long?' -lovely.