Arrows - 1983 British GP help needed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Swisstony

Swisstony

• 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 21:20

Hi everyone,
I work for a race team who run an Arrows a6 in the throughbred gp championship. I have set myself a bit of a mission and was wondering if anyone could help?

I am trying to find out the design of team shirt which the team wore at the British GP in 1983 when the car ran in the Grand Prix Magazine red/white livery.

Any help would be much appreciated, :up:

Anthony Allen

Advertisement

#2 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 21:37

I have a copy of GPI for the 1983 British.. I'll check tomorrow for pictures.
Rob

#3 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 22:40

Unfortunately, no help from Italian magazines (Autosprint and Rombo)

Ciao,
Guido

#4 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:02

Tony
Not much help in GPI magazine I am afraid. These are the only two photos showing the Arrows and associated team... strange when you consider they were sponsoring the car! I am not sure if these were the 'Team Uniform' or just outfits for the advertising girls... nice to look at anyway :up:
Rob

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:24

The girl on the far left by the rear wing is Nicky White-Smith, who was our secretary and going out with David Hunt at the time. The overalls were just cotton jumpsuits, designed to look like Nomex.

This was the only GPI sponsorship which Rothmans didn't pay for. In fact GPI didn't pay either, but that's another mattter...

#6 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:57

Having been at the '83 GP courtesy of Arrows I'm ashamed to say that I seem to have photos of everything but the Arrows team : Finances weren't great for the team at the time - sponsors seemed to change on a race by race basis - and from Rob's photo you can see the team were still using the Ragno-liveried transporter of the previous year. I don't remember the team members being kitted out in GPI branded clothing, and suspect they may have been wearing something very plain.

#7 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:54

Girl on the right looks remarkably like Annabel Croft.

#8 Rockford

Rockford

• 421 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:19

As a spotty youth I remember taking a copy of GPI (at least I think it was) to school to flick through during maths and was delighted to find a picture of a topless babe sitting astride the front wheel of an Arrows. Trouble was once my mates had noticed the picture the magazine disappeared after doing about 5 laps of the classroom, never to be seen again.

Does anyone else recall this picture, or am I recalling one of my "special" dreams?

#9 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:20

Originally posted by Twin Window
The girl on the far left by the rear wing is Nicky White-Smith, who was our secretary and going out with David Hunt at the time. The overalls were just cotton jumpsuits, designed to look like Nomex.

This was the only GPI sponsorship which Rothmans didn't pay for. In fact GPI didn't pay either, but that's another mattter...

Jeez I hate girls in jumpsuits...

#10 Shiftin

Shiftin

• 5,976 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:26

Originally posted by Vicuna

Jeez I hate girls in jumpsuits...

Me too! They should all wear shiny catsuits... :up:

Swisstony, I saw you guys at Zandvoort this year. (at least I assume you or your team were there). Great stuff, and I loved the fact we could walk in and out of the tent, admirering the cars. Sorry for the weather though. But that was out of my hands...

#11 Swisstony

Swisstony

• 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 14:22

Yes you would have seen us at Zandvoort this year. Unfortunately, we had quite a big shunt and took a rear corner off. All is repaired now and ready to go out to Magny Cours at the beginning of September.