Photo

Comparisons of the Nurburgring before and after 1970

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 20:55

Earlier this week, I received a copy of Chris Nixon's excellent "Kings of the Nurburgring" book and I was looking at a certain section regarding about the F1 circus not racing at the Nurburgring in 1970 and the GPDA making demands for alterations to improve safety around the Nurburgring.

There was some photos and I was amazed how much changes there was especially a pair of photos at the Adneau Forest section from 1964 and 1971.

I looked in various websites especially on racing tracks and none of them stated any track alterations except the addition of the chicane before the main straight for the 1967 GP.

So does anyone have any photos to see any clear differences of the pre and post 1970 (according to the book, that is when the Nurburgring was modified) Nurburgring?

I remember there was an excellent thread of a member posting old photos of building works going on around the 'Ring long ago but I can't find it at the moment.

Thank you. :)

Advertisement

#2 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 21:42

You can find a lot of pictures on this page ...on the right side,photos,history....
cheers marty

#3 eigar

eigar

• 33 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:54

And this site :

http://www.pro-steilstrecke.de/

is containing a lot photos from before and after the rebuid in 1971.

#4 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:19

You might find this interesting:

http://sudschleife.8...comparisons.htm

Also, the rebuilt occured between February and May of 1971. The peculiar thing is the tracklenght apparantly stayed exactly the same, despite the enormous scale of the whole project.

#5 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:31

The changes made in readiness for the 1971 German GP affected the surroundings of the track rather than the track itself. Some of the jumps were flattened but, to my knowledge, the trajectory of the circuit was pretty well unchanged.

Most of the work consisted in chopping down trees, mounting armco barriers and clearing run-off areas.

Edward

#6 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 13:27

Originally posted by SEdward
Les Hunaudières - Unpronouncable since 1924

:lol: Excellent one , Edouard....

....I guess this is why all of you english speakers insist on calling it "Mulsanne" ;)

#7 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 16:35

Originally posted by Rob Semmeling
You might find this interesting:

http://sudschleife.8...comparisons.htm

Also, the rebuilt occured between February and May of 1971. The peculiar thing is the tracklenght apparantly stayed exactly the same, despite the enormous scale of the whole project.

Hmm, as you say that the track is still the same although some jumps are flatten out.

But from what I can see from Chris Nixon's book, it shows that the 1964 photo is more of like you enter Adenau Forest and you get out pretty quickly.

In comparison with the 1971, the approach to Adenau is the same but you have to drive straight a bit longer (maybe 2 or 3 seconds) and then you finally exit the Adenau Forest section.

I am not sure if I should scan the page to show what I mean and I haven't got the book as a friend of mine is borrowing it at the moment. But from what I can see, it is a bit clear to me that the track was modified there.

Thank you to eigar and Rob for providing links. :)