An Englishman & Mercedes?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 18:33

Not Dick Seaman....

I was wandering around the graveyard at Chirnside church, looking, of course, for Jim Clark's grave. I encountered a woman on the same quest. Having completed our search, conversation developed. She said her father had raced, and driven for Mercedes, but a lap or two of test driving had resulted in a crash and serious head injuries. Type of car, or circuit, could not be recalled. He survived, but the injuries prevented his enrolment in the services for WW2. She said his name was Gordon Reddington (sp?), and that he was born in 1901 and died at the age of 82. He had an SSK, retained for many years, in which the lady learned to drive. It went to America for £50K. She was well spoken, with a hint of New World twang (South Africa?) She dashed off before I could enquire more.

Does any of this mean anything to anyone?

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 20:41

Another riding mechanic, perhaps?

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 21:44

I wondered that, David: the time scale would be right for a mechanic for Zborowski but there's no name anywhere near that in David Wilson's book.

Something to do with Earl Howe, maybe? Again the right time period.

#4 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 21:15

Mmm...the lady definitely said he was driving, and I think that it was late thirties. Too late for riding mechanics, yes?

Thanks for your efforts chaps. Perhaps it is all nonsense, as I suspected...but I had to ask.