Photo

Drivers becoming politicians

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 21:10

I remember having read that Carlos Reutemann was elected governor of the argentinian province of Santa Fe, his home land. He had some health problems, but was even thinking in becoming a candidate for the presidency.
Is Carlos' the only driver who has made the most of his popularity to start a political career ?

Advertisement

#2 Bonde

Bonde

• 1,072 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 21:19

...The name Max Mosely comes to mind in the context 'politician'...

Patrick Tambay is a deputy mayor according to the latest Ex-Green' 'Un.

I'm sure Ron Dennis would do well in politics - as would Bernie...

#3 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 21:20

Did Martin Maudling ever follow in his father's footsteps?

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 22:37

Maurice Trintignant was Mayor of Pau wasn't he

#5 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 23:06

Originally posted by Bonde

Patrick Tambay is a deputy mayor according to the latest Ex-Green' 'Un.

Yes, I found him here: http://www.cg06.fr/c...s-p-tambay.html
Still I have to ask: what is the "Ex-Green' 'Un" :confused:

#6 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 23:38

I can think of two in NZ OTTOMH

Rally champion and sometime circuit racer Paul Adams is a current MP

Ian 'Inky' Tulloch was/is mayor of the little town in the deep south from where he hails.

Inky would/should rank amongst the best saloon drivers from NZ that never ventured far from these islands, and is more recently a truck racer.

#7 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 23:47

Oscar Larrauri is into politics in the same party as Reutemann (Peronistas), Martin Schanche is also involved in a "very right" wing party, in Norway....

#8 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 00:02

Australian touring car driver Allan Grice was an elected member of the Queensland parliament from 1992 to 2001.

#9 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 00:18

And can we count Edward Assheton, aka Viscount Curzon, but best known as the 6th Earl Howe?

#10 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:07

Do rallyists count? Ari Vatanen is a member of the European Parliament, originally representing a Finnish constituency, but nowadays elected from Lyon in France.

#11 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:27

Originally posted by D-Type
Maurice Trintignant was Mayor of Pau wasn't he

Not of Pau but Vergèze.

#12 wdm

wdm

• 164 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:27

I think it's true to say that others were pushing Reutemann to run for president, but he himself felt uncomfortable with this...

Wimille certainly had political ambitions, which I've attempted to research, but to little avail. I get the feeling they were beginning to take shape before being scuppered by WW2.

Willie

#13 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:15

Originally posted by fausto
Oscar Larrauri is into politics in the same party as Reutemann (Peronistas), Martin Schanche is also involved in a "very right" wing party, in Norway....

Mr Schanche's often colourful behaviour on the rallycross circuit has been replicated in his political life. A disagreement with a Labour politician at a school debate prompted Schanche to punch his opponent in the face, not a promising start to a political career (although I suppose Prescott might disagree).

Reversing the theme I seem to remember a House of Commons "celebrity" race at Brands many years ago...

#14 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:20

Originally posted by wdm
I think it's true to say that others were pushing Reutemann to run for president, but he himself felt uncomfortable with this...

Willie

..and this observation neatly mirrors the fact that in his previous life Frank Williams was tipping him for "presidency" of the WDC until his uncomfortable performance in Las Vegas back in '81.

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:50

Not a driver, but Lord (Alexander) Hesketh became a UK government minister courtesy of his membership of our unelected House of Lords. He was a junior Treasury minister IIRC but has now gone more or less bankrupt - so maybe not the best man for the job!

#16 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,242 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:07

Not sure of his status in government, but fifties and sixties Tasmanian racer Lyn Archer was an elected representative...

I think he might have been Mayor of Hobart. Don't, however, quote me on that, I'm not sure at all other than the fact that he was in there somewhere.

Of greater stature was the late Syd Negus. After giving away racing he ran as an independent for the Australian Senate on a ticket aimed at ending death duties. He was successful.

Calling in at Bathurst on his way from Canberra to Perth one year (when Wayne was racing there?), he and his wife were encouraged to use their safety belts on that trip even though their use wasn't yet mandatory. They didn't... his wife never made it home.

#17 DOHC

DOHC

• 12,405 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:08

[BI'm sure Ron Dennis would do well in politics - as would Bernie... [/B]

Bernie did make a major donation to the Labour Party, didn't he? And I'm sure it was good politics, because he got the money back too.;)

#18 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:33

One of the Le Mans drivers in recent years was a maire but OTTOMH I cannot remember which one. Although Bruno Sotty or Pierre Yver come to mind. There was a photo in one of the Le Mans yearbooks with them in mayoral robes.

Larry "Boom Boom" Cannon of 70s Indy fame was a politician of some sort, but I never sussed out exactly what!

#19 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:48

Didn't Richard Petty serve as a Republican in North Carolina state congress (maybe still does)? At one time he was being talked about for representing NC or a NC congressional district in Washington (well NC has sent less likely people to DC in the past...)

Advertisement

#20 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:57

I think the Finnish F3 and FJ driver Leo Mattila sat in the Finnish parliament when he still was active as a racing driver.

#21 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:23

...The name Max Mosely comes to mind in the context 'politician'...

Mosley's father, Oswald Mosley, was a relevant politician and member of the parliament.

#22 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:41

Originally posted by Vanwall
And can we count Edward Assheton, aka Viscount Curzon, but best known as the 6th Earl Howe?

He certainly held posts in the Conservative party and was also a Privy Counsellor. I'm not sure how active he was in the Lords though.

Re Max: he did harbour ambitions to be a Conservative MP, but was advised that his surname and father's reputation would be something of a liability. :rolleyes:

#23 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:23

Huh - my reaction to the title of this thread is that almost ALL serious racing drivers have been politicians - wangling maximum advantage for themselves by whatever means might become available.

Possible exceptions starring Jim Clark of course, and maybe Jack Brabham who never said enough to be really political - he just bashed on and DID IT.

Stewart, Senna, Prost, Lauda, Fangio....politicians, manipulative advantage seekers the lot of them...it goes with the territory.

DCN

#24 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:21

Originally posted by WHITE
Mosley's father, Oswald Mosley, was a relevant politician and member of the parliament.

"A relevant politician" :lol:

Now there's a novelty...

#25 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:23

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Re Max: he did harbour ambitions to be a Conservative MP, but was advised that his surname and father's reputation would be something of a liability. :rolleyes:

Although he stood down before the election Max Mosley was at one time a prospective parliamentary candidate for his father's party, the post war Union Movement that is, rather than the pre-war British Union of Fascists. He also acted as an election agent for the UM. Guess that background wouldn't have helped with any mainstream political ambitions

#26 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:30

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Huh - my reaction to the title of this thread is that almost ALL serious racing drivers have been politicians - wangling maximum advantage for themselves by whatever means might become available.

Possible exceptions starring Jim Clark of course, and maybe Jack Brabham who never said enough to be really political - he just bashed on and DID IT.

Stewart, Senna, Prost, Lauda, Fangio....politicians, manipulative advantage seekers the lot of them...it goes with the territory.

DCN

Hmm. Material for a new thread perhaps?

Other top drivers uninterested in racing politics ... Brooks? Amon? Peterson? Daniel Sexton? Tom bach Pryce?

#27 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,242 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:35

.....Other top drivers uninterested in racing politics ... Brooks? Amon? Peterson? Daniel Sexton? Tom bach Pryce?

One assumes you never saw the Gurney for President stickers?

#28 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:41

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nah! Too young. ;) BTW, why aren't you engaged with watching the Australians getting their medicine at Trent Bridge?

#29 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 13:03

One other thought: the qualities of a top driver are likely to include dynamism, integrity, consistency and good insight into the limit of your abilities.

This might explain why so few drivers have ended up with a career in politics ;)

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,242 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 13:13

.....BTW, why aren't you engaged with watching the Australians getting their medicine at Trent Bridge?

I never knew they were sick...

When it comes to that, I'm not all that well. Is there any left over for me?

.....Where on earth is Trent Bridge? What river does that cross?.....

#31 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 14:56

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nah! Too young. ;) BTW, why aren't you engaged with watching the Australians getting their medicine at Trent Bridge?

Heh.

Ray professes no knowledge of or interest in the world's greatest game.

Right now I'm sitting here bloody frustrated because it's been bloody raining in Nottingham .... and as I have to go off to work in an hour I'll miss what little extra play we'll get.

Surprisingly, Ray, the Trent Bridge crosses the River Trent :lol:

#32 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,242 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 15:08

You are, apparently, talking about cricket...

I remember Mike Kable once making a very apt statement about that game. Mike wasn't prone to making many apt statements, so this one stuck.

"It's ridiculous that two teams can play for five days and still not get a result."

Maybe it's Mike who should have become a politician?

#33 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 15:36

Originally posted by Ray Bell
You are, apparently, talking about cricket...

I remember Mike Kable once making a very apt statement about that game. Mike wasn't prone to making many apt statements, so this one stuck.

"It's ridiculous that two teams can play for five days and still not get a result."

Maybe it's Mike who should have become a politician?

He obviously wasn't either a connoisseur or a student of the game, since on one occasion South Africa and England still managed to draw a "timeless" test which was supposed to end in a positive result, no matter how long it took. It ended after ten days otherwise England would have missed the boat home .... :lol:

#34 John B

John B

• 7,961 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 15:46

Originally posted by RS2000
Didn't Richard Petty serve as a Republican in North Carolina state congress (maybe still does)? At one time he was being talked about for representing NC or a NC congressional district in Washington (well NC has sent less likely people to DC in the past...)

I think it was 1996 when he ran for secretary of state. The accounts of his campaign weren't very good, though amusing...glorified autograph sessions where he announced things like 'I know nothing about the issue, but I plan to devote two days a week to this position' and the like....the capper was getting into a game of bumper tag on the interstate with a motorist who was too slow for his liking. When asked to comment he joked about putting the guy in a ditch :lol: Ultimately his popularity wasn't nearly enough to overcome his campaign....

Prost was the first name that came to my mind, having practiced with several F1 teams... :D

#35 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,242 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 15:58

Originally posted by Vitesse2
.....It ended after ten days otherwise England would have missed the boat home

Why would that be a problem?

#36 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 16:23

Cos they were being mistaken for Australians.

#37 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 21:06

Rumours of war. It was March 1939 - the day after the Test ended, while the players were on their way to Cape Town from Durban, the Wehrmacht rolled over the border into Czechoslovakia.

#38 Kojima_KE007

Kojima_KE007

• 115 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 16:19

One of the "mysterious" Maki driver, Shaw Hayami (Shotetsu Arai) is a city council member of Hiroshima, his home city, and has been a candidate for the mayor for a few years running. :)

#39 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 17:43

Originally posted by KJJ

Although he stood down before the election Max Mosley was at one time a prospective parliamentary candidate for his father's party, the post war Union Movement that is, rather than the pre-war British Union of Fascists. He also acted as an election agent for the UM. Guess that background wouldn't have helped with any mainstream political ambitions

Last night there was a programme on BBC2 about the Notting Hill race riots of 1958 (which, on a more constructive note, was the instigation for the Notting Hill Carnival we have today). Showed Oswald Mosely campaigning in his final politcal appearance before exile in Paris....supported by a young and enthusiastic-looking Max.

Advertisement

#40 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 17:47

Probably the candidate of the "Unione" (the group of parties of the Italian Left) to the next elections for the Sicily region Governor - April 2006, will be Ferdinando Latteri, former sportscar driver in the 60s.
One of the greatest Sicilian drivers at the Targa Florio, also known with the pseudonym "Codones", good hillclimber he drove Ferrari GTO, Dino 206S, Porsches. In 1971 he run the Targa in a works Alfa Romeo 33/3 with Nino Todaro (retired).
He is now the Chancellor of the University of Catania.

#41 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:34

Cale Yarborough served as a member of the Sumter County Council for some time, his house in the Sardis area actually being in Sumter County, just over the line from Florence County. The Yarborough family lived mostly in a section of Sardis (...not Timmonsville...) known as "Monkey Bottom" for reasons now long lost to history....

#42 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 14:31

Originally posted by DOHC

Bernie did make a major donation to the Labour Party, didn't he? And I'm sure it was good politics, because he got the money back too.;)

I was in the offices when the money arrived back, after they had had the money for a year, courtesy of the UK press saying it was a bride to allow continued tabbaco money. He open the envelope, took out the cheque for £1 million, and said "I see they kept the interest!"

#43 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 14:42

Originally posted by f1steveuk

the UK press saying it was a bride to allow continued tabbaco money.

Not the first time he's been said to be married to money. ;)

#44 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 15:09

I must read my posts, I must read my posts, I I must read my posts,I must read my posts,I must read my posts,I must read my posts, !!!

#45 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 15:28

:lol:

MCS:

You're a funny man! :rotfl:

#46 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 16:20

Racing drivers becoming politicians, how about a politician becoming a racing driver?

As well as having the good sense to marry a Welsh woman the new French Prime Minister Francois Fillon appears to be a keen motor sport fan. Some of the mainstream media are saying that he has competed in the Le Mans 24 Hour Race.........er I hesitate to say this but wikipedia gets it right by pointing out that this is infact the Le Mans Classic event. In 2006 for example he competed in a 1960 Ferrari 250GT Berlinetta.

Anyway M. Fillon defends Motor Sport on his blog, here for instance

#47 Stirling

Stirling

• 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 16:29

Alexander Hesketh may not have been a driver as such, but he was from '94 to '99 president of the BRDC and, of course, a race team proprietor. He was also, as Lord Thomsas Alexander Fermor-Hexketh, a ,member of the House of Lords as well as at one time or another being a Privy Councellor, a Tory party whip, and a junior minister at the DTI.

ciao,
Stirling

#48 AMICALEMANS

AMICALEMANS

• 366 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 16:49

Christian Estrosi from the Sarkozi team and Deputé was 2nd at the 24hours of LeMans Moto in 1976 i think

Jacques Heuclin ran several times the 24h of LE Mans and was major and deputé

André Moynet was pilot during the war then minister then he built a car in 1968 for le Mans; Another car named Moynet came at Le Mans in 1975;

#49 AMICALEMANS

AMICALEMANS

• 366 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 16:52

Ari Vatanen is an European deputé

#50 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 16:55

What about the other way round? ISTR that ex-NZ PM David Lange did a bit of racing and rallying.

Lord (David) Steel is quite into the historic/endurance rallying scene these days - I think he's involved with HERO. Seem to recall that he likes Auntie Rovers.