Photo

Anyone remember 'Sporting Motorist' magazine?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:36

I was turning out a load of old magazines in the garage last nifght (they ended up at the local dump), but one thing that did jump out at me (I've kept it) is the June 1962 copy of a magazine called 'Sporting Motorist'. I've never seen another copy, and indeed, can't remember where I got THIS copy from. It looks and reads like a sub-Motor Sport thing. Registered office was in Bromley, Kent. I've never heard of any of the editorial staff, so does anyone here remember it??

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:58

Yes I bought quite few of those! New name for Autocourse which was a monthly mag in the 50s,became 'Autocourse & Sporting Motorist' then just 'Sporting Motorist'

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:59

any idea when it ceased publication, Rob?

#4 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:12

Originally posted by Gary C
any idea when it ceased publication, Rob?

A long time ago Gary,I last remember buying it in the 60s,when it became less racing oriented. Don't think it lasted long after that.Sorry,I no longer have any copies.

#5 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 14:59

I remember it too from 1963.

It was well written and quite serious but a very good read. One of the features from I think the September 1963 issue was a piece on tuned 8 litre Bentleys and also a comparison of assorted high performance GTs (Ferrari 250GT Lusso, Lamborghini P350, Jenson Interceptor, Aston Martin DB4 or 5) and so on.

I bought it occasionally but have no recollection of it post 1964. By today's tabloid comics for adolescents stuff it was far too erudite and proper and also the large format would have made it extremely unpopular with latter day distribution practices and also the antics of certain high street retailers who try to get money from publishers for displaying their magazines, according to my sources.

#6 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 16:06

Sporting Motorist, as was explained, was an extension of AutoCourse and was published by Philip Hutchinson and his father. They took over the title from the Hon.Gerald Vane who was the originator of Auto COurse.
Philip wanted to widen the scope of the magazine and included something which I think was unique, a round up of interesting new patents that had been registered pertaining to the automobile. There was quite a gang writing for the magazine including Maxwell Boyd , John Sprinzel and even Roy Salvadori used to do some road tests for them. John Ross was usually the photographer but a number of us great unwashed of those days wrote articles and submitted photos.
I think, at the end of the day, the Hutchinsons just tired of it and stopped the magazine and assume they held title to the AutoCourse name which was later passed on.

#7 Mike Lawrence

Mike Lawrence

• 288 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 00:24

I remember buying 'Sporting Motorist'. It had very good feature articles but cost more than 'Motor sport', did not have 'Jenks' and did not have the amazing slection of small ads at the back, which were an essential part of the 'Motor Sport' experience.

I recall that the editor was Edward Eves and I found this on the Klementaski website.

Edward Eves was both a respected automotive journalist and a talented motor racing photographer. He contributed both race reports and photographs to The Autocar, as well as to the motor sports annuals Automobile Year and Autocourse during the late 1950’s and early 1960’s. He was one of the first photographers to do extensive color work. Edward Eves died in 1999.

#8 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 982 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 00:53

There are some issues if SM in major Russian libraries. I have some scanned pages copies.

#9 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:20

In 1966 both Mike Kettlewell and Mike Cotton were involved but it had very little financial backing It failed about 1967.

#10 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:37

A little bump:

does anyone have an idea who owns the rights to "Sporting Motorist" at present? Suppose I wanted to quote Edward Eves from this magazine in a publication, where would I have to turn to?