Photo

An observation from Donington Park..

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:33

I have just returned from the WSR meeting at Donington.. boy did it rain on Saturday :eek: :eek:

Anyway.. areas of the paddock and track were cordoned-off for 'VIP access only' with gates patrolled by security (Is Bernie running the WSR :confused: )

World Series
All of the cars were in the pit boxes with shutters down or access blocked by advertising boards. The drivers were nowhere to be seen, unless you were quick and spotted them running back to the transporters. :mad: :mad:
At least the supporting race teams showed a little respect for the supporters!

Historic Renault area
The cars were on open view, close, and available for good photos.
Rene Arnoux, Gerard Larrousse and Jean Ragnotti were posing for photos with the crowd, signing autographs, and chatting to anyone that wanted to meet them. :up: :up: :up:

I know that the sport has changed, but I think this weekend really showed my grandson the big difference between the drivers of 'then' and the drivers of 'now'. His smile when Rene signed a photo and took time to ask if he was enjoying himself... this made his weekend...

Your comments?
Rob

Advertisement

#2 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:08

Originally posted by Rob Ryder
I have just returned from the WSR meeting at Donington.. boy did it rain on Saturday :eek: :eek:

Anyway.. areas of the paddock and track were cordoned-off for 'VIP access only' with gates patrolled by security (Is Bernie running the WSR :confused: )

World Series
All of the cars were in the pit boxes with shutters down or access blocked by advertising boards. The drivers were nowhere to be seen, unless you were quick and spotted them running back to the transporters. :mad: :mad:
At least the supporting race teams showed a little respect for the supporters!

Historic Renault area
Rene Arnoux, Gerard Larrousse and Jean Ragnotti were posing for photos with the crowd, signing autographs, and chatting to anyone that wanted to meet them. :up: :up: :up:

I know that the sport has changed, but I think this weekend really showed my grandson the big difference between the drivers of 'then' and the drivers of 'now'. His smile when Rene signed a photo and took time to ask if he was enjoying himself... this made his weekend...

Your comments?
Rob

We didn't spend much time round the paddock. I was hugely impressed by the WSR cars though, they looked great (reminded me a little of Reynard F3000s from about '91-2) and sounded absolutely fantastic particularly under acceleration.

Arnoux was very approachable, and doesn't really look a day older than when he left F1. Ragnotti has developed quite a patina ;)

And our Clio boys were on best behaviour.... by their standards ;)

There was one car in the Renault display that I didn't recognise (I've got some pics I'll have to have a squint at); the white job with red trim that looked like a Group 6 two-litre... Anyone know more about it?

#3 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 14:55

The more I see and read about this,the more glad I am that I did not go. Watched on TV and as to the aledged 50,000 crowd,I would be suprised if 10% of the claimed 150,000 free tickets were used? How about those huge Renault hordings. Must have blocked off a few vntage points?

#4 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 15:59

Originally posted by petefenelon
I was hugely impressed by the WSR cars though, they looked great (reminded me a little of Reynard F3000s from about '91-2) and sounded absolutely fantastic particularly under acceleration.

There was one car in the Renault display that I didn't recognise (I've got some pics I'll have to have a squint at); the white job with red trim that looked like a Group 6 two-litre... Anyone know more about it?

Pete, I agree about the WSR ontrack.. very good. I am not a 'tin top' lover, but the Megane Trophy cars also impressed in both appearance and sound.

Sorry I can't help with the white sportscar that was in the Renault parade.

Originally posted by Rob29
The more I see and read about this,the more glad I am that I did not go. Watched on TV and as to the alleged 50,000 crowd,I would be suprised if 10% of the claimed 150,000 free tickets were used? How about those huge Renault hordings. Must have blocked off a few vantage points?

Rob, the on-track entertainment was good, it was just the organisation and officialdom that sucked. My initial observations did taint my feelings for the weekend and made what could have been a 'very good' meeting into just a 'fair' meeting (for me) . This was the original reason for this thread. In 10 or 20 years will there be anyone who remembers meeting or talking with the current drivers? Will there be anyone to reminisce and relate interesting anecdotes?

The crowd? I reckon at least 3-4,000 on Saturday (motorsport people?) and 25-30,000 on Sunday (uncle Tom Cobbly and all) . Sunday I was spectating 4 or 5 deep around most of the track, which was lousy if you wanted any decent photos.
Rob
Quote of the weeekend.. Young lady in high-heels, makeup and mud to her boyfriend during the F1 demo.. "Is it Fisichella or Alonso driving?".
Boyfriend "It's Alonso because Fisichella has has the Italian flag on his helmet" :lol:

#5 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 16:17

Originally posted by Rob29
The more I see and read about this,the more glad I am that I did not go. Watched on TV and as to the aledged 50,000 crowd,I would be suprised if 10% of the claimed 150,000 free tickets were used? How about those huge Renault hordings. Must have blocked off a few vntage points?

The hoardings did indeed get in the way of a lot of good vantage points from the Craners on.

Thought of as a cheap day out with some decent motor racing and a few historical bits and pieces, it was good fun - I didn't have particularly high expectations as there were no series I am particularly enamoured of racing there and only a smallish historical content, but I enjoyed myself.

Renault reckon 50000 on Sunday; Donington felt about the same as it does on a good BTCC day to me -- which I reckon is maybe 40k. There may have been 50000 people through the gates, but how many stayed all day (particularly 'locals' with families?)

#6 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 17:00

Sharon in our office went. It was her first ever visit to a motor race. She loved it, so did her kids. Something must have been right, then...

Shaz didn't get enough free tickets, so paid for some on EBay.

A friend in the party asked to be directed to Hanger straight..... :rolleyes:

#7 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 17:11

Originally posted by Rob Ryder
I
Historic Renault area

Sharon at work won't have heard of Rene Arnoux, and I suspect most of the race goers that day won't have either.

Which reminds me...

On holiday in Scotland my wife spotted some Rennie Mackintosh style stuff in a gift shop.
Tongue slipping wonderfully, she said I should have a look at these Rene Arnoux designs.

I was proud of her.

#8 Rob Silver Speed

Rob Silver Speed

• 1,296 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 17:26

Was taking pictures of the WSR from outside the melbourne loop with none other than cheng congfu stood right next to me :eek:

I was amazed to see how many tyres were just given away, even people queueing at the michelin trucks to be told that those tyres wern't being given away.

#9 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 19:12

Maybe I was the only 'Grumpy Old Man' at Donington :p
(Or maybe I was spoiled at Oulton a couple of weeks ago :smoking: )

#10 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 21:52

Originally posted by Rob Silver Speed
Was taking pictures of the WSR from outside the melbourne loop with none other than cheng congfu stood right next to me :eek:

I was amazed to see how many tyres were just given away, even people queueing at the michelin trucks to be told that those tyres wern't being given away.

"Dad, dad, look what i've got dad! Dad, can I take it home dad? Dad, can we put these on our car dad?"

The same sort of thing happened at the FIA GT meeting there last year. It seemed that every kid at the circuit had a tyre - or two!;)

#11 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 20:43

Pete/Rob
Do you know who drove the Alpine A443 Renault #1 in the Sunday demonstration? The speakers were out where I was standing so did not hear who was behind the wheel.

Posted Image

I know that it was Gerard Larrousse in the A442B #2.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks
Rob