Photo

Japanese GP 1976. Mysteries, opinions, facts...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MonzaDriver

MonzaDriver

• 424 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 15:58

Dear TNFers Hi to all.
I would like to have your opinions, and knowledge,
about the following points on the Japan GP 1976.
The ‘76 season it’s something very particular for me. It started my passion for motor racing.
When I see a photo or a car of this year, I feel a different feeling. It’s special.
The points are taken from an old article of a very good Italian journalist so the source is reliable.

After the Warm up:
The drivers understood that it was very dangerous to race. Many, with Lauda and Hunt main actors, decided that the race must be postponed, maybe in Brasil the following year.
Ecclestone agreed but he wanted any way a start an some laps made, so the television and the organization cannot object nothing. Peterson and Regazzoni don’t agreed.

The journalist then explain that in the rented Roll&Royce of Lauda:
there was a lot of reunions between Lauda and almost the other drivers. Once a time of course.
After the warm up, before the driver’s meeting.

The race started,and Lauda ritired at the second lap………….
Ermanno Cuoghi Lauda’s chief mechanics and personal friend, said that he was not scared he didn’t have any eye disturb, he seem calm and in control of everything, relaxed.
He goes to the pit wall and looked at the other driver’s passages. Only Fittipaldi and Pace after some other laps retired following the driver’s plan. At the 32th laps, Lauda decided to go to the airport with the Rolls of the organization. A lot of time after his retire.

The motives of Peterson and Regazzoni was explained in a recent interview of Daniele Audetto
The sport director of Ferrari team during ’76.
Regazzoni, feel himself betrayed from Maranello, for the way he was treated during his years like Lauda’s teammate. Ronnie Peterson was contacted shortly after Nurburgring in order to replace Lauda, But Lauda just he knew that Peterson was going to replace him, really put his opposition to
that. Audetto specify that the car was already modify for Peterson’s height, and Ronnie was already landed at Linate airport……….. when they must tell him………everything annulling.

In his book “ Protocol” Italian title “ I miei anni con Ferrari” Lauda wrote:
……the very unfortunate things is that it stops raining…………..

Please your opinions about that Rolls Royce affair, about the ipothetic Lauda’s agreement with the others drivers. Agreement not respected.

Or more simple what do you know about this GP?
To me something legendary.
Hi to all, Monza Driver.

Advertisement

#2 jorism

jorism

• 179 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 19:59

I think it's nonsense that Ronnie didn't agree for a postponed race because he should replace Lauda in 1977. Ronnie was just a racer like Mario Andretti, Clay Regazzoni and Villeneuve. Beside that he already had a contract for Tyrrell at that time.

Beside that I am sure that if the situation would have been that Ronnie was going to replace Niki he would have told him so. He did the same when Niki had that tractor accident and Enzo contacted Ronnie to replace him for some races, he even went to Lauda's Salzburg home to tell him.