Photo

Milwaukee Mile

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 14:19

It is claimed that the Milwaukee Mile is the oldest venue still operating as an auto racing track. The first race meeting held there was in 1903. It appears the claim is justified.

However, some folk claim that at least one race meeting has been held on "The Mile" every year since 1903 except for the years when the USA was participating in the World Wars.

William Jones won the first race at West Allis on 11 Sept, 1903. On 02-03 June, 1905 Barney Oldfield was the star turn. The meeting held on 20-21 Sept, 1907 featured a 24 hour race. This race was unusual as the drivers were allowed to use substitute cars to rack up the mileage whilst their original cars had a rest!

In 1908, 25-26 Sept, the meeting embraced a conventional 24 hour race. Meetings were also run on 27 Sept, 1910 and 20-21 June, 1911.

Some sources, incorrectly, attribute the race held at Milwaukee (02/10/1912) on a road circuit, for the Vanderbilt Cup, as an event held at "The Mile".

There was a meeting on the 13 Sept, 1913 and the first "100" was held in 1915 but sanctioned by IMCA rather than the AAA.

So, I cannot trace any meetings held in 1904, 1906, 1909, 1912 and 1914. Could someone supply any missing dates or confirm that the early races at the Milwaukee Mile were not always held annually?

John

Advertisement

#2 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,322 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 14:41

I don't know of any large meetings held at the Mile at this time - there could perhaps have been minor non-sanctioned meetings held? I'm basing this statement on my current work in progress, which you can view at http://www.teamdan.c.../book/book.html - beware though, there is still a lot of work to do on this, and I haven't opened this up quite so publicly before!

#3 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:21

Darren

An impressive compilation!

At the moment I am researching 1913 and I can make the following general observations.
Allan Brown's excellent directory is very useful but there are discrepancies which is not surprising considering its scope.

When Brown gives inclusive dates for races held at a particular venue it does not necessarily mean that the races were held annually. So your list of races to be researched is not quite as long as you might have expected, which may be of some relief. As far as I can make out there were about 45 race meetings and hill-climbs sanctioned by the AAA in 1913. Possibly some venues ran non-sanctioned events but few would be proper races, more likely novelty events and stunts.

The AAA ran its organisation with a firm hand and any contravention of the regulations or any participation in non-AAA races resulted in exclusion. They only wanted proper races and no "fixed" results but its not entirely certain that was achieved.

Another reason I think there were less events than might be suggested is that there were so few entries at most fairground meetings. The total entry at meetings before WW1 was rarely into double figures. In 1913 there appeared to be three leading lights - Louis Disbrow, Bob Burman and Barney Oldfield but only rarely did they clash at fairground meets. Each driver often seemed to have his own supporting cast.

After WW1 there was a dramatic increase in the number of race cars in the States and with IMCA, a worthy rival to the AAA, organising races nationwide the number of races for the "big cars" also increased. As the IMCA records have gone missing, or were missing when I last enquired, logging these races will depend on local historians or the use of American library services that are not cheap.

Happy hunting!

John

#4 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:51

The annual fair at the Wisconsin State Fairgrounds at West Allis (forget "Milwaukee Mile" - that's a sixties' moniker) was usually around the third August weekend, and there would always have been some sort of autoracing. Don't forget that only a very small percentage of races in the US throughout the years was sanctioned by AAA, USAC or even IMCA. Milwaukee has always been a center of activity, and each year you'll find races during the fair as well as still dates, probably even lots of them.

#5 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 16:20

Michael

Yes, it is true that over the years a whole host of organisations have promoted racing in the USA but I don't think that was the case pre-1920. The AAA began its invovement in racing 1904 and IMCA in 1915. If you know of the missing race dates for the Wisconsin State Fairground in 1904, 1906, 1909, 1912 and 1914 I would really like to know, irrespective of who organised, promoted or sanctioned them.

Even in the 1920s the Milwaukee track ran at least five or six race meetings a year but it is the elusive pre-1920 race dates that I am after.

John

#6 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 17:04

I happen to have the 1971 Rex Mays Classic program (the third weekend in August race) at my elbow and the introduction refers to 1971 being the 65th season at Wisconsin State Fair Speedway.

The Milwaukee historian back in 1971 was Allan Krause and a quick Google shows that he was still alive a few years ago, age 81 in 2002. The same google gave me this:

Allan Krause
Island View Rd
Rhinelander
WI 54501
(715) 362-4191

If anyone can give you the full story, I bet he can.

Allen

#7 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 17:13

I looked in the 1975 program and he was then "Al" Krause. Googling that name gave many hits, including a quote from him as recently as July 2005.

You could probably reach him via the track: http://www.milwaukee...om/contact.html

Allen

#8 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 19:24

Allen

Thanks for information. Enquiries made.

John

#9 Henk

Henk

• 227 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 21:58

October 2, 1909

State Fair Park
Milwaukee Automobile Association race meet

Four events:

1. Five Miles for stock cars listing at $851 to $1250
First place: Buick; second: Hupmobile

2. Ten Miles for stock cars listing at $1251 to $2000
Called off after eight miles because of accident
First: Buick; second: F.A.L.; third: Petrel

3. Fifty Miles, Milwaukee Motor Derby, open to all stock cars
First: Buick; second: Pope-Hartford; third: F.A.L.; fourth: American

4. Ten Miles for stock cars listing at $2001 to $8000
First: Pope-Hartford; second: Buick

Does anyone have information on the history and fortunes of the Petrel Motor Car Company of Milwaukee and the F.A.L. Motor Company of Chicago ?

#10 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:47

Henk

Good find. Thanks. Source?

From Georgano - Motorcars 1885-1968

Petrel Motor Car Co., Kenosha, Wisc. 1908-1909
Petrel Motor Car Co., Milwaukee, Wisc 1910-1912

This make is said to have succeeded the Earl. The Petrel was made in two-seater roadster and in five-seater touring versions, with L-head 4.9- litre engines. The early models used friction transmissions and double chain drive. By 1910 this self-proclaimed "Aristocrat of Medium Priced Cars" had reduced its wheelbase to 9 ft and adopted shaft drive. The 30hp 4-cylinder two-seater model cost $1,350. For 1912, the name of the make was changed to F-S, after the parent company Filer and Stowell.

F.A.L.
Fal Motor Co., Chicago, IL 1909-1913
Fal Auto Co., Chicago, IL 1913

With a 4-cylinder, L-head engine of 4.6 litres, this medium-sized car was available in three body sizes: a two-seater, "toy" tonneau and a seven-seater tourer. Selective transmission gave three forward speeds.

John

#11 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 13:16

Originally posted by humphries
Michael

Yes, it is true that over the years a whole host of organisations have promoted racing in the USA but I don't think that was the case pre-1920. The AAA began its invovement in racing 1904 and IMCA in 1915. If you know of the missing race dates for the Wisconsin State Fairground in 1904, 1906, 1909, 1912 and 1914 I would really like to know, irrespective of who organised, promoted or sanctioned them.

Even in the 1920s the Milwaukee track ran at least five or six race meetings a year but it is the elusive pre-1920 race dates that I am after.

John

John, to be honest I have no hard information at hand, and even at home I'd have to make a very big effort to (probably) find out very little. But you have to keep in mind that there's a difference between promoting and sanctioning: you're probably right that before 1920 there were no sanctioning bodies other than AAA, IMCA and ACA, but on the other hand race promotion was always a very motley (?) activity - many fair directors promoted their own races without any interference of sanctioning bodies at all, other races were promoted by the travelling circuses of Ernie Moross, George Pickens or whoever and again there was no involvement with sanctioning bodies.

#12 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 13:45

Michael

Promoters were indeed a diverse bunch and, as you say, very different animals to the AAA and later sanctioning bodies. You are probably already aware of the official 1905 AAA championship and if you are please let me know as I am finding it a pain to research despite slowly getting there.

John

#13 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 14:35

I am aware of the championship, but I don't know 'how' official it was - in fact, I believe it is more of a curiosity than anything else and even though I'll be happy to learn more about it, I don't plan to waste a minute of my time - well alright, make that an hour!;)