Photo

Jim Crawford at Indy in 1994 and 1995

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Herbert

Herbert

• 354 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 21:09

I'm looking for some info about Jim Crawford's last attempts at the Indy 500. After finishing 24th at Indy with Kenny Bernstein's King Racing in 1993 the Briton tried to qualify with a three year old Lola-Buick of Riley & Scott Racing. Why did they enter Crawford? R&S was just founded the year before and was involved in the Trans-Am series. Did they think about an Indy car programm before developing the successful MkIII-sportscar?

What happend in 1995? According to Jeremy Shaw in his Autocourse yearbook "Crawford never had a prayer extracting sufficient speed from Grant Adcox's under-powered '92 Lola-Buick". It had number 96, but according to the Hungness yearbook number 96 was a Hemelgarn-entry for Didier Theys (a '94 Reynard-Ford). The only reference to a Adcox-entry are #66 & 68. Both were entered according to Hungness by Burns Adcox Motorsports. Thom Burns entered cars for Dominc Dobson from 1991-93. But Grant Adcox? Adcox was killed in a Nascar race in 1989.

So can anyone solve this mystery?

Advertisement

#2 gbl

gbl

• 451 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:53

Car 96 was definitely a Lola T92-Buick. AFAIK it was a Hemelgarn car but with Rain-X/Adcox sponsorship - you always have to be careful with the official entry name. Cars 66 and 68 are not mentioned anywhere so Adcox probably just bought some ad space.

#3 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 20:54

Phil Harms also has the #96 as a Hemelgarn Lola T92. No sign of any Adcox entries.

#4 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 21:10

Forgive me this, but I hadn't realised where Jim had died until now.

For some reason - a conversation with Jeremy Shaw over a decade ago, maybe? - I thought he had settled down on the Atlantic side of Florida. As ever, in those days, I probably missed the point.

Apparently he died in Tierra Verde, Florida (Gulf Coast, just by St.Pete's Beach, south of Tampa).

Wish I'd have known, I could have paid my respects when I was there recently. :(

Posted Image

#5 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 21:17

Originally posted by MCS

I thought he had settled down on the Atlantic side of Florida...

As far as I know, he'd been living on Florida's Gulf coast since at least 1987/8.

Tommy and I spent a weekend with him and his family in 1988 (I pretty sure it was), and we buggered about on jetskis and the like for a few days.

I've got some nice pics from that visit, but I can't currently scan anything at home. (Although I could take them to work, I suppose...  ;) )

Now I have to find them. :rolleyes: