Photo

Drivers who've bought themselves out of contracts?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 17:51

Prior to Jenson Button, has any F1 driver bought out his contract?

Advertisement

#2 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 18:01

Off the top of my head, Elio de Angelis and Jean Alesi.

#3 Lec CRP1

Lec CRP1

• 188 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 18:14

Didn't Carlos Reutemann buy himself out of Brabham to replace post-crash Lauda at Ferrari in 1976?

#4 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 19:34

Originally posted by Lec CRP1

Didn't Carlos Reutemann buy himself out of Brabham to replace post-crash Lauda at Ferrari in 1976?

Indeed he did; how could I forget?!

Lole got out of his contract with the Martini Brabham team in order to join Ferrari - as you rightly say - by securing a personal deal with their arch-rival Cinzano.

He then used that very revenue to buy himself out of his contract with Brabhams!

Brilliant! :up:

#5 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,945 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 20:21

Although I bet Bernie was pleased that he effectively had Cinzano pay for Martini sponsorship...

#6 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 20:29

Originally posted by ensign14

Although I bet Bernie was pleased that he effectively had Cinzano pay for Martini sponsorship...

Naturally; everyone's a winner!

#7 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 13:39

Reutemann has said that Bernie told him that Brabham would use Cosworth power for the '76 season. When Bernie, instead, stayed with Alfa Romeo, Reutemann wanted out and got that opportunity with Lauda's accident. After the '78 season, Reutemann signed a three-year contract with Lotus and left after one year to go to Williams. So, I assume he bought himself out of that contract as well.

#8 jorism

jorism

• 179 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 15:52

Maybe James Hunt bought out his Wolf contract in 1979, he only drove till the Monaco GP.

#9 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 17:52

Who settled Lauda's remaining BRM contract (wasn't he contracted there for '74)? -- Niki himself or Ferrari?

And for that matter how long did it take Niki to pay off the famous bank loan that got him into F2 and F1?

#10 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 19:20

Originally posted by petefenelon
Who settled Lauda's remaining BRM contract (wasn't he contracted there for '74)? -- Niki himself or Ferrari?

And for that matter how long did it take Niki to pay off the famous bank loan that got him into F2 and F1?

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that it took until the end of his first season at Ferrari to pay the bank off...

Didn't realise that Lauda had signed beyond a single year with BRM...

#11 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 19:40

Without re-reading the book, I have a feeling that the two loans were entwined.

The March one was paid off by the second one, which also paid for the BRM seat (with his life as security). That was never enough for an whole BRM season, but Lauda lucked-in as Stanley reviewed Niki's situation around Monaco and put him on a salary (or wrote off his debt, or both!).

The point Mark makes about the length of time it took Lauda to pay back the loan rings a bell, and also reminds me of when - mid 1979 - there was a big fuss made about Alan Jones 'sponsoring' Mike Thackwell. How generous, we were led to believe. Nah, not really.

Thack told me at the Nurburgring, in 1982, that he'd almost repaid the debt...

#12 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 20:58

Originally posted by Twin Window
Lole got out of his contract with the Martini Brabham team in order to join Ferrari - as you rightly say - by securing a personal deal with their arch-rival Cinzano.

Wasn't Reutemann also on the Argentine government's payroll?

#13 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:08

Does Hawthorn (Vanwall, 1955) qualify?

I could check, but someone's got my Jenks/Posth book)

#14 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 13:01

:eek:

Was the Button buyout really $30M? If so, I don't think he is worth it.

#15 rl1856

rl1856

• 361 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 14:55

Yes, Hawthorn did buy himself out of his contract with Vanwall in 1955. The way I understand it, after the contract was signed, MH received his retainer. When he and GAV agreed to disagree, GAV's solicitors sent a writ to MH's garage requesting the return of the "unearned" amount of the retainer. MH sent a check for what was owed and the matter was settled. Mike's mother originally received the writ in Mike's abscence. She had not been informed of the situation and was understandably anxious when she received the document.

Best,

Ross

#16 Steffen

Steffen

• 135 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 21:00

Stefan Bellof bought himself out of his Formula 3 contract with 37.500,- DM and went to Willy Maurer's Formula 2 Team.

#17 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:09

Mark Webber, with assistance from Flavio Briatore, bought himself out of his Mercedes contract to move into Formula 3000, although relations between Webber and Mercedes were already understanbly cool after the unmitigated '99 Le Mans disaster, for which Webber had spent a year on the sidelines not racing at all, pounding around testing their flawed creation.

How did Jarno Trulli get out of his Minardi gig to move to Prost?