Photo

Mitte Riley

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Don Radbruch

Don Radbruch

• 74 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 22:13

A very unusual sprint car raced in the Midwestern US shortly after WW 2. The suspension was so different from the norm that it cannot be described in words. I have believed that the car was built by Ted Mitte of Detroit. Recent information indicated that perhaps the car was built in Europe and, from the looks of it, that is quite possible. The car reportedly had a Ford Model B based Riley engine but Mitte may have installed this----or maybe the engine was really a European four banger. If anybody can solve this minor mystery it will be a member of this group. Any information will be greatly appreciated

I tried to post a photo of the car but I cannot figure out how to do it. Perhaps some kind hearted member will contact me and I can send it to the kind hearted member via e-mail who is perhaps smarter than me and will post the photo. Thank you

Advertisement

#2 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 00:06

Posted Image

#3 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 21:49

Fabulous shot Don :wave:...any more?? anything more to add to the story?? :up:

#4 Don Radbruch

Don Radbruch

• 74 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 23:36

Mick---thank you very much for posting a photo of the Mitte Riley. I can add a bit more information on the car. Chuck Rice is the driver in the photo and the location is probably Jackson, Michigan shortly after WW 2. The car was affectionally(?) known as "Wobble Wheels" I also have a photo of the car with a rear suspension failure. A photo from a couple of years later shows the car with a Hal engine and standard two spring suspension.

It could very well be that Ted Mitte built this car and used suspension parts off of who knows what. If the car is indeed of European origin I'm hoping some forum members will recognize it.

Thanks troops

#5 Don Radbruch

Don Radbruch

• 74 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 17:01

It looks as though the Mitte Riley was indeed built in the US. Additional research since the initial posting has turned up quite a bit of information. The car was built by Ted Mitte and his brother in Detroit in about 1940. With that remarkable workmanship some major car manufacturer should have hired the Mitte Brothers! It is still not known what inspired that strange suspension.