Photo

Trans Am U2 pictures

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 djk91na

djk91na

• 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 20:03

I am doing some research on the Trans Am Series specifically U2 Alfa GTA/GTV cars driven by Ken Schley, Horst Kweck and Bert Everett. YEars 1969-1772. Any pictures documenting the cars at the specfic races are needed.

Advertisement

#2 marty8405

marty8405

• 61 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 20:53

I saw those cars at Lime Rock in 70,71,72 and have some slides. I also saw some at the Watkins Glen vintage festival, Kwech had the Wetsons car, correct? I may have some material to help you.

#3 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 16:41

Welcome to the forum djk91na.

Here are a few pictures from 1971 to start with.

Posted Image
Bert Everett at Mid-Ohio in 1971, Alfa GTA.

Posted Image
Horst Kwech at Road America in 1971, Alfa GTV.

#4 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 17:35

U2? Don't see a Mallock here. What am I missing :confused:

#5 Scribe06

Scribe06

• 76 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 18:33

Originally posted by David Beard
U2? Don't see a Mallock here. What am I missing :confused:

Once upon a time in America, we had a very interesting series known as the Trans American Sedan Series or as it is better known to most, Trans Am. In the early 1970s, the under-two litre class in Trans Am was set up as a separate series and known to one in all on this side as of the Atlantic as U2.

Sorry to report that not all that all there is to racing is centered on a large island off the coast of France.... Believe it or not, there are actualy those who would never make the association of U2 to Ray Mallock, but rather would have visions of BRE Datsun 510s pop into their minds when U2 is mentioned....

#6 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 19:04

Posted Image

#7 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 19:05

Originally posted by Scribe06

Once upon a time in America, we had a very interesting series known as the Trans American Sedan Series or as it is better known to most, Trans Am. In the early 1970s, the under-two litre class in Trans Am was set up as a separate series and known to one in all on this side as of the Atlantic as U2.

Sorry to report that not all that all there is to racing is centered on a large island off the coast of France.... Believe it or not, there are actualy those who would never make the association of U2 to Ray Mallock, but rather would have visions of BRE Datsun 510s pop into their minds when U2 is mentioned....

Sadly, it appears that the gulf between our senses of humour is far wider than the Atlantic. I am sure that Mr Beard will know better next time, but in fairness, he is probably upset by the England football performance today.

#8 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 19:25

Originally posted by Scribe06

Believe it or not, there are actualy those who would never make the association of U2 to Ray Mallock, but rather would have visions of BRE Datsun 510s pop into their minds when U2 is mentioned....

You mean Captain Arthur, Don.

I honestly hadn't heard of the U2 series...

#9 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 19:36

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Sadly, it appears that the gulf between our senses of humour is far wider than the Atlantic. I am sure that Mr Beard will know better next time, but in fairness, he is probably upset by the England football performance today.

I am???

:confused: :lol:

As you know Roger, as do a few others, I probably know more about motor racing from the American backwater than I do about English football....

#10 Scribe06

Scribe06

• 76 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:41

Originally posted by Frank S
Posted Image

David,

My reply was certainly tongue in cheek, but I think that it might be correct to say that regardless of where they reside that most here or elsewhere probably have not heard of the series. I, for one, enjoyed the series. That I had an aunt who was among the original members of the Texize company who was the parent of the BRE sponsor Simonize and which allowed me some additional access to the team didn't hurt.

Sadly, the series had not crossed my mind in ages until this thread. I was moving into the direction of IMSA at the time, but there was something to see the BRE team show up and perform....

;)

#11 Spitfire

Spitfire

• 99 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:30

I don't recall this "U2" tag being used to name the series either.

Here is a link describing the "2.5 Challenge" run by the SCCA. I believe that is the series you are thinking of that featured the Weston Alfa. The SCCA probably left the rules open to 2.5 cars just in case the domestic (Chevy Vega 2.3L) had any interest.

http://dimequarterly..._challenge.html

Also, Tony Adamowicz drove the Alfa in 1969 and his superb site features a couple of nice shots:

http://www.a2zracer.com/page17.html

#12 ggnagy

ggnagy

• 261 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 13:48

If you have not allready gone there, you might want to try the B sedan website. You can also try looking through Nick England's VIR history website. Yes, the last Trans Am event was 66, but some cars lived a dual purpose life in pro and amateur.

#13 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 13:50

I saw U2 and wondered where they raced these aircraft and if Gary Powers ever competed.....

#14 Scribe06

Scribe06

• 76 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 14:03

Originally posted by Spitfire

It went from "U-2" to actually "U-2.5," some of us were slow on the uptake and continued to refer to it by the old name out of bad habit. Whatever the series was known by to all and sundry, it certainly had its moments. The BRE Datsuns are still among the best turned out cars I have seen at a track. Great color scheme as well.

#15 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 14:58

Is this the same series as 'GTU' and 'GTO', which ran with GTX and GTP, IIRC...

#16 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 17:56

Originally posted by Spitfire

Here is a link describing the "2.5 Challenge" run by the SCCA. I believe that is the series you are thinking of that featured the Weston Alfa. The SCCA probably left the rules open to 2.5 cars just in case the domestic (Chevy Vega 2.3L) had any interest.

http://dimequarterly..._challenge.html

Chevrolet had this much interest:
Posted Image Posted Image

#17 Scribe06

Scribe06

• 76 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 18:26

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
Is this the same series as 'GTU' and 'GTO', which ran with GTX and GTP, IIRC...

These series were run under IMSA and the 2.5 Challenge was run by SCCA, very different sanctioning bodies and philosophies.

#18 Tweety911

Tweety911

• 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:34

The very first Trans American Sedan Championship was held in March of 1966 at Sebring...

In 1966, The SCCA introduced a new class that allowed for head to head competition between production sedans. The rules were simple: competition was allowed between "Production Touring Cars" with a max wheelbase of 116". There were two classes, the "2 litre and under" class (U2) and the "2 litre to 5 litre" class (O2). The Trans-Am class riles allowed few modifications to a production car. Drivers were allowed to remove bumpers, rear seats, and floor mats. Mufflers could be replaced with straight pipes and different rims could be used so long as the stock rim diameter and width were maintained. The 2 litre class saw competition between Alfa GTA's, Ford Lotus Cortinas, Austin Mini's, BMW's, Porsche 911's, Renault Gordini's, Volvo 120's, as well as entries of Volkwagens and Saabs. The 5 litre class hosted Plymouth Barracudas, Dodge Darts, Ford Mustangs, and Chevrolet Corvairs etc etc..

The first year of the Trans-AM series was 1966 and Alfa's were the dominate marque. The Under 2.0 (U-2) was pretty much B-Sedan with one notable exception, the Porsche 911. For reasons that aren't clear, the 911 was classified by both the SCCA and the FIA as both a sports car and a sedan? The 911 dominated the series in 1967 and 1968. In 1969 a number of events occured that would shape the 2.5 series and for two brief years allow this series to provide great battles between Alfa's, BMW's and Datsun's. The most notable change was that the Porsche was no longer allowed in the U-2 group.

In January 1969 a critical loss to the series occurred when SCCA Chief Executive John Bishop left the SCCA in disgust and formed what would become IMSA. Bishop provided the vision and leadership to get the Trans-AM series off the ground and had built the series on a solid foundation that would attract deep pocket sponsors. Unfortunately he had also been a professional among amateurs that really did not understand how to run a successful pro series. However Bishop's IMSA activities would be a major influence on the Trans-AM series a few years later.

After 1969 the "U2" class was renamed (2.5 challenge) when the engine displacement limit was increased to 2.5 litres.

1971-The 2.5 Challenge Begins

The old saying that a light bulb burns brightest just before it goes out could easily be applied to the 1971 and 1972 Challenge. Rule changes allowed larger motors and new cars would come into the series during the year that would make for an exciting points race. However storm clouds were brewing for the O-2 series that would impact the entire Trans-AM series. Pollution laws, the Nader crowd complaining loudly about high horsepower cars and the ever present mis-management by the SCCA would take their toll before the end of the season. By the start of the 1971 season only AMC (Javlin) provided significant factory support and sponsorship to an O-2 Trans-AM team. But for a brief period the 2.5 Challenge would be a shining star of great sedan racing action.

1972-The Challenge Shines an the O-2 Class Slides

The slide of the O-2 series that began in 1971 continued into 1972. In fact things were so bad the O-2 series ended early for lack of interest. The 2.5 Challenge continued alone and put on quite a show with drivers such as Bobby Allison, Herschel McGriff, Bob Sharp, Sam Posey and Peter Gregg driving and winning using a celebrity car provided by BRE.

And like the Can Am, in 1973-The 2.5 Challenge Ends.

The SCCA took another of its famous ill-advised turns and switched the Trans-AM series to FIA groups 1 through 4! This odd turn of events had the SCCA rules patterned after IMSA's rules. Remember that in 1969 the founder of the Trans-AM, John Bishop, left the SCCA to form IMSA and now the SCCA was trying to one-up him. The SCCAs effort failed and IMSA flourished.

There were only 6 races in 1973 and that number was cut in half in '74! Fields seemed to be made up of IMSA drivers using the Trans-AM for test and tuning. IMSA did run a "Baby Grand" series sponsered by B.F. Goodrich that was very similar to the 2.5 Challenge. It featured big purses and drew top drivers and cars but small sedan racing was done in the Trans-AM series.

#19 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 17:21

Holy Resurrections!

But since we're here - it was Major Arthur Mallock, and Richard builds U2s. At least, that's how it was, tho' Ray has helped out.

Advertisement

#20 wildman

wildman

• 294 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:52

Originally posted by Tweety911
IMSA did run a "Baby Grand" series sponsered by B.F. Goodrich that was very similar to the 2.5 Challenge. It featured big purses and drew top drivers and cars but small sedan racing was done in the Trans-AM series.

I'd have to take issue with the two being "very similar." The most obvious differences were that IMSA required the use of street tires (BFGs when Goodrich was the series sponsor), and that IMSA had no firm displacement limit. Big pushrod inline-6 AMC Gremlins and Pacers raced against Wankel-powered Mazdas, four-cylinder Datsuns, Renaults, etc., all equalized with weight handicaps. The IMSA rules were more restrictive than SCCA's when it came to engine, suspension and body modifications.

Here's Kal Showket's Dodge Daytona at Laguna Seca in 1984, after Champion Spark Plug took over the series sponsorship:

Posted Image

#21 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 21:08

Having seen a rather tame version of ZZ Top on the telly at the recent Daytona 500, I had strange visions of Bono and Trans-Am mangled together, when I read the title of the thread.

From it's inception in 1966 to the end of 1969, Trans-Am ran to the then FIA/CSI technical regulations of group 1 or 2. Group 1 being stock standard, while group 2 was homologated parts added. 1970 Trans-Am enforced their own regulations, and in the process dropped the 911 from saloon to GT - just as they did in Paris!

The book "Trans-Am / the pony car wars 1966-1972" has a lot of pictures over it's 252 pages and although it mainly features the american pony cars, the U-2's have their share as well.

Out of curiosity I wonder why people would turn up with a Saab 96 Sport or a Mini 850 in the Under 2000 cc class competing against Alfa GTAs or Lotus Cortinas during the early years. Was there a special bonus (but not points) in it for such small fry. Even the Mini-Coopers or Fiat-Abarths that also raced on occasion would have had a hard time of beating the Fords or Alfas.

Jesper

#22 naparsei

naparsei

• 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:26

I am interested similarly in finding pictures of 911s racing in the Trans Am Series from 1967-1969. Feel free to post them here or PM me and I will send my email address.

Saabs didn't do well. A Volvo 122s finished 5th in class at VIR in 1967. A Fiat Abarth finished 6th in U2 at Marlboro. A Mini S finished FOURTH at Green Valley in Texas. After 1967, it was pretty much over if you weren't an Alfa or a Porsche until the 2.5 challenge. A huge variety of cars did race in U2, including VW Beetles.

#23 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:37

Originally posted by Jesper O. Hansen

The book "Trans-Am / the pony car wars 1966-1972" has a lot of pictures over it's 252 pages and although it mainly features the american pony cars, the U-2's have their share as well.

Out of curiosity I wonder why people would turn up with a Saab 96 Sport or a Mini 850 in the Under 2000 cc class competing against Alfa GTAs or Lotus Cortinas during the early years. Was there a special bonus (but not points) in it for such small fry. Even the Mini-Coopers or Fiat-Abarths that also raced on occasion would have had a hard time of beating the Fords or Alfas.

Jesper

If the turnips in SAABs or Minis responded to local circumstances like those I encountered at IMSA Riverside in 1975, there was at least the prize of showing up on the grid sheet with the pros.

When IMSA brought the little sedans west, along with the current sports racing circus, they anticipated a thin entry. As filler they allowed showroom stock racers to file entries. A set of tires (BFG) was prize for the highest SS finisher.

I flashed my SCCA Regional license, paid the entry fee, slathered on the required stickers, and found myself on the track for BFG Challenge practice and qualifying. It was a treat, passing all the SS cars (including Mrs Hiss, who complained locally and in R&T about a too-fast Vega), turning the 16th fastest time, ahead of a couple of IMSA-prepared cars.

I withdrew my entry and Bishop gave me my money back; my Pirellis were a few silly millimeters too wide, and the headers were Improved Touring OK, but SS-not-so-legal. DNS.

So, there's an answer to one aspect of your "why": 30-some-odd years later the turnips can tell stories about how, during qualifying, they caught up ten lengths on the Levis Gremlin drafting-train in Turn Nine, and with a little more power could have sling-shot them down at the line!

--
Frank S
Enjoying his crumbs

#24 S&M Minis

S&M Minis

• 102 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:23

I recently rediscovered these slides from the Trans Am U2 race at Marlboro, Maryland on August 12, 1967, and this seems like a good place to post them. Naparsei is quite correct that there was a wide range of marques competing at that time. The results of this race can be viewed at http://www.trans-ams...esults/1967.pdf . Porsches dominated, fill in the blanks with 911's in the following list of cars running at the end - 7th, Fiat Abarth 1000 - 9th and 10th, Volvos - 11th and 14th, Austin Coopers - 13th, Lotus Cortina. None of the Alfa GTV's made it to the finish.

Prize money ranged from $750 down to $70 for tenth place!

Oddly I didn't take any pictures of the Abarths, as I've always been a big fan of 1 Liter sedans. About a week after this race I bought my first car, a 1962 Austin Cooper 997, which I still have.

At the far end of the track is the Tullius/Adamowicz Group 44 Cortina, a DNF. Lot's of body english by the driver. Group 44 was still running their Dodge Dart in the O2 category at this time, providing variety to that category.
Posted Image

One of the Alfas, not sure which.
Posted Image

Slightly out of focus, but how often did you see an NSU and a 911 together?
Posted Image

One of the Coopers, I believe this is the 11th place car.
Posted Image

The Batchin/Kalajzich Cooper S from Philadelphia. This car was sponsored by the Birdcage Discotheque and sported a logo of a birdcage on the side. it was the only Mini in the race sporting those massive bolt on fender flares, such was the state of Mini racing at the time!
Posted Image

Moving into the grandstands, the entire Cooper field on "the banking". The road course used part of a mildly banked oval. It came onto the oval at turn two, around turns three and four (where the pictured cars are), past the grandstands and off the oval at turn one.
Posted Image

A GTV, 911, Cortina grouping on the banking. I believe the Cortina is an ex-Alan Mann car. I have another picture of it at Mid Ohio and the nose portion of the stripe is gold - the remainder is silver.
Posted Image

An Alfa gets light leaving the oval over the edge of the banking. Possibly Kwech? Note that it's spelled Kweck on the results sheet.
Posted Image

Bottoming out after leaving the oval.
Posted Image

And swinging 180 degrees to the right, the cars going away. This was a fantastic spot to watch and photograph from, you could almost lean over the track. What's the hump on the trunk (boot) lid of the Alfa?
Posted Image

This certainly added to the permanent hearing loss, but probably worth it. Nothing like the flat-6 wail!
Posted Image

Finish off with the Birdcage Mini, no sign of understeer here. The sticker on the trunk lid says "Mini-A-Go-Go".
Posted Image

Those were fun days. The 2.5 series was faster and more professional, but it just wasn't the same.

And why would you bother being a turnip in an NSU? Because you could would be enough reason for me.

#25 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 18:00

There's one beauty on your PhotoBucket pages: a b/w shot of a mini getting ready to pass a Cougar ...
Page 4 of the Album view

Also of interest there (among the hundreds), the Arciero Lotus 19 at Pike's Peak. Drivers: Parnelli Jones and Bobby Unser. Page 1 of the Album view

http://s118.photobuc.../prjm3/?start=0

Great stuff, Mr McConnell. Thank you for the opportunity.

--
Frank S

#26 S&M Minis

S&M Minis

• 102 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 18:27

Frank,

Be advised that the pictures on Photobucket are in no particular order (which you probably figured out) that's just a holding place for when they're posted on various web sites. Let me know if there's something that strikes your fancy and I'll tell you where the whole story is posted.

The red Arciero Lotus is a 23, not a 19. The Pikes Peak picture is with Bobby Unser driving, the car was later driven by Parnelli Jones. The close-up shot is of the car today. The current owner put both driver's names on the door, although I don't know if they were both present at the same time way back when.

The other picture you mentioned fits into this thread, so here goes. It's the Hot Wheels Mini of Bill Brack at a Watkins Glen Trans Am race, I'll have to figure out what year it was. Possibly the fastest Mini I recall from that era, it was a DNF in the race. It's not passing the Mustang, but it's not trailing by much at the end of the back straight. I believe this was the only oddball car in the U2 group, mostly Porsches and Alfas by this time. Some of the variety had gone and the Glen was a somewhat fast course for the little ones. Continuing the variety them, IIRC the Cougars were gone from O2 at this point, kind of replaced by the Javelins and it was the first race for a Firebird.
Posted Image

More pictures from the same race, O2 and U2 were combined into a single race.
Posted Image

Beautiful countryside!
Posted Image

The front of the grid on the pace lap for the main event, the U2 cars are a little further back.
Posted Image

This last one is Ed Spreen running in the SCCA supporting races, not the actual Trans Am.
Posted Image

#27 tomkatf

tomkatf

• 32 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:05

Try the Alfa BB ... tons of interesting Alfa forums and people including lots on Alfas in the Trans-Am...

Alfa BB

HTH!

Best,
Tom

#28 Checkered Man

Checkered Man

• 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:50

Hello S+M Minis,
you have posted wonderful colour-photos about the red-white-blue Porsche 911 S in a Trans am race.
I need more Details of the car and the driver, has anyone more detail photos.
I try to make a 1/24 kit of the car and will make a decal printing, if I have photos of all sides.

Can anyone help me.

Thank you,

Michael from Checkered Flag.

#29 S&M Minis

S&M Minis

• 102 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:07

Michael,

I may have a picture of that Porsche in the paddock at Mid Ohio, but it will be a few days before I can search for it. The memory fails me, I think that was a Fred Opert entry. They also raced a red/white/blue Lotus 23, possibly prior to the Porsche.

I'll see what I can find.

#30 Checkered Man

Checkered Man

• 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:37

Hello Randy,
thank you for your fast replay and the name of the driver.
I´m looking for photos a long time, but my mistake was to search under the drivers name Dough Revson, who drove a Carrera 6 in the same painting sheme.
If you have better detail photos it would be wonderful.
I have seen the same sheme on a Lotus 23 in an old video, but it was a short take in minor quality.
If anyone has more information about the red-white and blue cars we can realise kits in 1/24 for our slotracing friends.

I hope you will find something in your archive.

Thank you,
Michael from Checkered Flag :smoking: