Photo

Chapel services at the Glen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 16:44

Chapel Services were offered on Sunday morning prior to the recent Indy car race held at the Glen.

This reminded me of a photo I took at the USGP back in 1968. Mass was offered from the pits by a priest from St. Mary's Catholic Church in downtown Watkins Glen. Those in attendance sat on the starting grid.

Is this practice unique to the Glen or did other circuits also provide religious services prior to races?

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 17:13

There always used to be a Catholic service on the Sunday morning at Le Mans - during the race, rather than before.

#3 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 19:15

Originally posted by Paul Medici
Is this practice unique to the Glen or did other circuits also provide religious services prior to races?

I can remember the Miami IMSA meeting in 1991 having a Catholic (?) Service...

Whilst it's probably quite common, I'm sure that they're invariably quite small and poorly attended - now there's a coincidence! - so a lot of them go completely unnoticed.

#4 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 21:00

Virtually all top Nascar races did. (Methodist/Southern Baptist). Preacher Bill(?)'s "Chapel at the Tracks". Will try and find photo.

#5 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 21:13

Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving all! Yes, Racers for Christ, Motorsports Ministries, etc. still have services at various events. I talked to Hunter Floyd, one of the chaplains of the Champcar series, at Edmonton. He had spent time in that area some years ago.

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

#6 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 21:14

Richmond, Va. September 1978. Cale Yarborough 3rd from left front row. Others behind include Richard Petty's cousin/crew chief Dale Inman, comentator/former driver Ned Jarrett ?
Posted Image

#7 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 21:53

Originally posted by RS2000
Virtually all top Nascar races did. (Methodist/Southern Baptist). Preacher Bill(?)'s "Chapel at the Tracks". Will try and find photo.

Perhaps Bill Brannon?

Henry

#8 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 21:54

In his autobiography (the large format Mark Vancil one) Mario Andretti refers to Father Phil DeRea saying a short mass either before or after the drivers' meeting either in the trailer, or in the garage at Indianapolis.

#9 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,038 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 19:42

Most Shelsley Walsh meetings are accompanied by a service at the church at the bottom of the hill.

APL

#10 wibblywobbly

wibblywobbly

• 287 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:06

Originally posted by Cirrus
There always used to be a Catholic service on the Sunday morning at Le Mans - during the race, rather than before.

I've just downloaded a British Pathe free preview of the 1963 race and sure enough, there was a very large "mass".

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,257 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:35

I don't know what use it gets, but Bob Jane built a chapel at Calder a few years ago...

In the more distant past, Spencer Martin's departure from Scuderia Veloce was partly precipitated by his need to get to church on Sunday morning. Maybe chapels would have changed the course of this bit of history?

#12 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:01

Summit Point (WV) has a small, open air chapel.

A marker is also located at the chapel to remember fatalities at the circuit.

Last trip in the weather was so bad I "pitched" my tent inside the chapel.

Henry