Photo

Brignoles GP 1931 / 32

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Boys

Lost Boys

• 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 21:28

I've stumbled across a race track name of Brignoles which I believe hosted a couple of minor GP races in 1931 and 1932, one being won by Rene Dreyfus in a Bugatti.
What does anybody know of this circuit, is there a circuit map that exists? I know the track was roughly 2.2km long and the race was run over about 20 laps.

Any help would be great.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 21:54

AFAIK the GP de Brignoles was only held in 1931. However, there were two races of that title - one for GP (ie Formule Libre) cars and one for 1500cc voiturettes. Dreyfus did indeed win the "senior" race, while Louis Trintignant won the voiturette race (although no 1500cc cars took part - the field was comprised of three Amilcars and a Salmson). There were only four starters in each race, but there were no retirements in either of them! There were quite a few non-starters and non-arrivals, including Mlle Renée Friderich, who apparently chose to run in a ladies' race in the same meeting, run by the local branch of the AC du Var.

Brignoles is about 15 miles north of Toulon, but I've never seen a track map.

http://www.teamdan.c....html#brignoles

#3 Lost Boys

Lost Boys

• 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 21:59

Ah, that's where I am getting the two races from then. Interesting that there were only four vehicles in the 2nd race! I have emailled the tourist office of the village on Brignoles to see if they have any info, pictures or maps of the track. Wonder if any of it is still standing?

#4 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:26

Back in the Eighties I ventured to Brignolles and it was then possible to do a complete lap of the circuit. Some of the roads had been widened considerably but the route was the same, unlike Amiens that had, I now fully realise, disappeared under road developments. If someone can post a modern map of Brignolles incorporating the two bridges over the River Caramy, one to the west of the town and the other in the town to the north then I will describe the circuit.

John

#5 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:35

I know the son of the man who organised the race and is the owner of a vineyard that has been in the family for a number of generations about three years ago he showed me some of his fathers papers which included an entry list. i will see what I can find out from him.

Graham Gauld

#6 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:12

Originally posted by Vitesse2
AFAIK the GP de Brignoles was only held in 1931. However, there were two races of that title - one for GP (ie Formule Libre) cars and one for 1500cc voiturettes. Dreyfus did indeed win the "senior" race, while Louis Trintignant won the voiturette race (although no 1500cc cars took part - the field was comprised of three Amilcars and a Salmson). There were only four starters in each race, but there were no retirements in either of them! There were quite a few non-starters and non-arrivals, including Mlle Renée Friderich, who apparently chose to run in a ladies' race in the same meeting, run by the local branch of the AC du Var.

Brignoles is about 15 miles north of Toulon, but I've never seen a track map.

http://www.teamdan.c....html#brignoles

Now what I need is the results of the ladies race & names of other females who took part?

#7 Lost Boys

Lost Boys

• 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:21

That is the only entry list I have seen for this race. Googling pulls up that and a biog of Rene Dreyfus. Did the original circuits incorporate public roads?

#8 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:41

Yes, the whole circuit was on public roads.

#9 starlet

starlet

• 327 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:02

The GP de Brignoles was the first French race held in town, on the 27 september 1931.
Of a total length of 2,2 km, this circuit crossed two bridges and a grade crossing what obliged a total interruption of the car traffic and shod during whole day.

The winners were René Dreyfus with his Bugatti 2.3 L for the GP, and Renée Friderich with the same car for the ladies cup. Other class winners :
class 750 cc : Marceau - Rosengart
class 1100 cc : Ballester - Rallye
class 1500 cc : Trintignant - Amilcar
class 2L : Félix - Alfa Romeo
class + 2L : Czaikowski - Bugatti

The races were a great success but not on a financial plan, and that's why there has never been a second edition.

#10 Lost Boys

Lost Boys

• 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 21:47

This links to a map of the village of Brignoles Humphries. Can you describe the track from that?

http://www.ville-bri...es.fr/carte.htm

#11 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:35

Thanks for the road maps but there seems to have been considerably more road improvements around Brignole than I remember from twenty years ago. However, here is how the the journal "Provence-Sports" 27 Sept 1931 described the circuit and I'll let you superimpose the circuit onto the modern roads!

"Comme nous l'avons precedemment dit ; le parcours qui empruntait les principales rues centrales de la ville: Pont des Augustins, rue Docteur-Barbarroux, rue laterale de la place Caramy, rue de la Republique jusqu'a l'avenue de la Gare, le Pont Notre-Dame et la nouvelle route du Pre-de-Paques, comportant deux virages en epingle a cheveux, dont un entre deux passages a niveau et deux autres en pleine ville, etait aussi bien audacieux que spectaculaire, un peu etroit pour les coureurs et partant plus dangeroux pour eux"

The pits were situated on the road to the north of the river Caramy and the first corner was a right-hander over a bridge then along roads heading south, picking up the main street which in those days was the N2 heading west. On reaching the next bridge another sharp right and back along the road, following the north bank of the river, to the pits. This road is now the route of the N7 East-West sparing the town through-traffic.

John

#12 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:16

Looks as challenging as Pau or Angouleme! John: which way did they go between the first bridge and the rue Docteur Barbarroux? I assume it was a "simple" right-left-right, but I suppose they could have carried on via boulevard St Louis and avenue Vitry, taking in either square St Louis or what is now avenue 8 Mai.

#13 Lost Boys

Lost Boys

• 31 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:23

I'm tring to superimpose the description onto the town plan but struggling. Only problem is exactly where did the pits stand in relation to the river?

#14 Lost Boys

Lost Boys

• 31 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:31

I'm also guessing that the old N2 road is now the Rue Jules Ferry and Rue de al Republique and the final corner of the circuit was was either a turn up Rue Sadi Carnot or they carried on as far as Rte de Marseille, back over the river again and right, picking up the RN7 again.

#15 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 13:24

Using the modern map the "tribunes", at the Ensemble Pre De Paques were a few hundred metres on RN7 from the Carrefour de l'Europe. A right turn over the Pont des Augustins then to the Dr Barbaroux street crossing the Rue Vitry. Down Barbaroux to the Place Caramy where the Tourist Information office is located. The track turned right into the Rue de la Republique ( the old N route) which would take you eventually to Marseille. They crossed a railway line then another bridge and sharp right before the State Municipal Raoul Delpon, back over the railway line and up the RN7 to the finishing line. In effect the circuit ran both sides of the river. Apparently road traffic and rail services were affected much to the annoyance of some.

John

#16 Lost Boys

Lost Boys

• 31 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 13:39

That is absolutely brilliant. I've printed off a copy of the map and marked off more or less the exact track in highlighter , but I had took the track down the Rue du Petit Poradis instead of the Rue Dr Barboroux.

Thanks for all your help!! There may be another circuit to search out soon!