Photo

Is Button the 'new Amon'?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
158 replies to this topic

#1 mctshirt

mctshirt

• 183 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:08

While reading a newspaper article which mentioned Jensen Button's 99 F1 starts thus far and while showing promise has yet to win a GP. I looked up the F1 stats care of Formula One World:

Jenson Button
GRAND PRIX STARTS 99
GRAND PRIX WINS 0 Best Finish - 4 x 2nd Places
POLE POSITIONS 2
POINTS SCORED 166
RACES LED 9
LAPS LED 80

Chris Amon
GRAND PRIX STARTS 96
GRAND PRIX WINS 0 Best Finish - 3 x 2nd Places
POLE POSITIONS 5
POINTS SCORED 83
RACES LED 7
LAPS LED 183

Is this a case for history repeating itself?
Are there parallels besides stats given his very public contract wranglings with Williams and BAR?

The article also pointed out Jackie Stewart's results after 99 starts.

Advertisement

#2 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:25

I think it was Jim Clark (or maybe it was Jochen Rindt?) who said he feared Amon the most of all his comtempories. I haven't heard Michael Schumacher say that about Button...

I wouldn't be comparing Button to Amon just yet.

Forza Amon.

#3 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:29

button the new amon?....blasphemous statement at best...

#4 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:39

No. Button started off as an overhyped playboy and has gradually matured into a top-third-of-the-grid driver with an immature attitude and a management team who are doing him no favours. I doubt Kimi or Alonso or Schumacher or Montoya ever have sleepless nights thinking of the threat of Button.

Next year will show his true level - I think Rubens will probably still be quicker than him despite Button's experience of the team.

I don't think he's even in the Coulthard-at-his-peak sort of level.

He's a good driver, sure, but these days it takes a lot more than that to operate consistently at the sharp end of the grid.

Chris had talent to throw away. Button's just another face in the pack.

#5 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 02:18

What is scary to me is that Button has already made 99 starts.......(and I've seen none of them!)

#6 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 03:13

Chris Amon actually dominated races - not just lead them.

This is not coming from a 'JB doesn't have it' position - merely a statement of fact.

#7 mctshirt

mctshirt

• 183 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 04:13

In the book Champions of Speed by Richard Becht, IIRC Stirling Moss wasn't overly impressed with Amon and thought he lacked the "killer instinct" to be a great driver. I thought "Our Jens" was quite highly regarded in the UK or is it media hype? It seemed to me that Button's attempts to jump from BAR to Williams and now back again was similar in a way to Amon chasing a better car/team to prove himself. I don't think Brundle would be a better comparison looking at stats and Coulthard with13 wins isn't comparable either.

#8 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:31

Originally posted by jj2728
button the new amon?....blasphemous statement at best...

:up:

#9 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:43

:lol: You're kidding. Right?

#10 brooster51

brooster51

• 210 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:55

I've been waiting for someone to bring this up. One of the problems with such a comparison is in Amon's day, the top F1 drivers would often compete in other categories where comparisons could be made on some other basis besides F1 alone. Button does only F1 and doesn't offer much to compare in lower formula.

I just don't think such a comparison is fair. It would seem to me that Amon was a much superior driver simply because he honored his contracts.

Now given all that, I'd guess that Button will win a race or two in coming years if he's given anything approaching a competitive car.

#11 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 07:36

Originally posted by brooster51
I've been waiting for someone to bring this up. One of the problems with such a comparison is in Amon's day, the top F1 drivers would often compete in other categories where comparisons could be made on some other basis besides F1 alone. Button does only F1 and doesn't offer much to compare in lower formula.

Complete red herring, Brooster
If you limit the comparison to F1 races - in fact, if you restrict it even further, to world championship F1 races - you will see there were many occasions in which Amon was in a dominant position, heading for an apparent certain victory, when "bad luck" intervened. I can't remember many such occasions when Button has been in this position.

#12 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 08:34

I just don't think such a comparison is fair. It would seem to me that Amon was a much superior driver simply because he honored his contracts.

#13 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:38

Originally posted by Zawed
I think it was Jim Clark (or maybe it was Jochen Rindt?) who said he feared Amon the most of all his comtempories.

I'm pretty sure Clark said something like that about Dan Gurney.

#14 wibblywobbly

wibblywobbly

• 287 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:04

Originally posted by scheivlak
I'm pretty sure Clark said something like that about Dan Gurney.

As I understand it, Jimmy told his father that. Atleast that's what Dan said on some TV show. Clark's dad told Gurney, after the funeral, if I remember correctly. Must've been quite a moment.....

About Button, he's good, but c'mon......

#15 kup

kup

• 74 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:31

JB is like Alesi in his youth, imho.
i mean all: speed, talent, results, team troubles, etc ...

Amon is too far in years, another "age" of F-1 as by teams as by drivers.

Note: i can compare Clark to Stewart, JS to Lauda, NL to Prost, AP to Schum, Alesi to Button.
But i just think it`s very wrong to compare Clark to Button.
To much difference in Cars and Technologies.

#16 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,657 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:59

Originally posted by kup
But i just think it`s very wrong to compare Clark to Button.

This, m'lud, is what is known as an "understatement".

I read that Clark's father actually made the comment about Gurney during the funeral service, in his speech - Dan heard it whilst sitting in the congregation, and it brought tears to his eyes.

#17 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:21

Originally posted by kup
JB is like Alesi in his youth, imho.
i mean all: speed, talent, results, team troubles, etc ...

I don't think he has the speed or style of Alesi. In his first season and a bit you were constantly looking out for the Tyrrell just to see where Jean had put it and who he was beating with it.

Alesi was more like Amon than Button is - he had the car control, he had the terrible luck, and he had the misfortune to be around just as there were luckier greats around who were perhaps willing to give 105% instead of 100... Also, as with Amon, I don't know anyone who appreciates real Racers who doesn't have a soft spot for Jean.

#18 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 13:39

Just out of curiousity, does anybody know what odds have been quoted - if indeed they have - on Jenson Button actually winning a Grand Prix?

#19 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 15:36

:confused:

What if Amon was in his prime today and "Buttboy" drove in Amon's period? Sorry, I just find JB to be rude and crude whereas I've never, never heard anyone trash Amon the man.

As we say in America Football Jenson couldn't carry Amon's jock or in this case, his helmet bag.
I do, however, see a big difference in Button's favor, he does think he is wonderful. If he ever gets a consistently decent car, he does have enough of an ego to press on. I rate DeFerran highly, we'll soon see if he really know what he is doing! Ruben and he will be a very interesting mix.

This is clearly an emotional statement, but I think Amon would bury all of these whining brats.

Advertisement

#20 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 17:18

Now, that's more like it !!

Jim Clark mentioned during the 1968 Tasman that he (Clark) feared Amon the most. Clark may have been speaking "Tasman" specific or in general, I really don't know.

Looking purely at the stats and with no knowledge of the players, one could surmise that Amon and Button have similar records at 99 GP's.

..... but, as we all know, that is not the case.

FORZA AMON - Who's Button ??

#21 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 18:09

Originally posted by Keir
Now, that's more like it !!

Jim Clark mentioned during the 1968 Tasman that he (Clark) feared Amon the most. Clark may have been speaking "Tasman" specific or in general, I really don't know.

Looking purely at the stats and with no knowledge of the players, one could surmise that Amon and Button have similar records at 99 GP's.

..... but, as we all know, that is not the case.

FORZA AMON - Who's Button ??

Good Keir :up:

I do not remember well but, when Amon was a Ferrari driver, I think that it was Mauro Forghieri who said: - Amon is the "new Clark", however he ( Amon ) does not know it yet.

#22 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 18:49

Originally posted by David M. Kane

What if Amon was in his prime today and "Buttboy" drove in Amon's period? Sorry, I just find JB to be rude and crude whereas I've never, never heard anyone trash Amon the man.

You're accusing Button of being rude and crude while in the same paragraph calling him Buttboy?

I think if Button gets the right car he has the talent to win a lot of races. How many races did it take Mika Hakkinen before he won? As soon as McLaren gave him a decent car he was winning every other race!

John

#23 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 19:39

Personally I reckon JB is destined to be WDC and (sharp intake of breath) has a Prost-like ability that marks him out as the most complete British driver since the Clark/Stewart era...as an aside his first GP next year will provide him with start 101 which will put him on par with Bruce McLaren.

#24 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 19:41

Originally posted by petefenelon

I don't think he has the speed or style of Alesi.

Personally, I thought that Alesi spent the majority of his F1 career overdriving. Sure, he didn't often have the best machinery at his disposal, but even so...

Moments like his GP debut at Ricard in 1989 and his 'lack of respect' at Phoenix in 1990 were fantastic, of course, but he ended up like a 1990s version of René Arnoux when he was in heyday of the early-mid 1980s; a rapid rockape.

In contrast, Button seems to be smooth-in-style behind the wheel, but I'm afraid that these days the driver aids hamper the chance to appreciate raw talent almost totally. As a person, he leaves a lot to be desired.

A1GP :rolleyes: has had one interesting aside in that a few drivers expected to go well - ex-F1 racers, testers and the like - have really struggled, and it must be assumed that once they're deprived of the gizmos they've been so reliant upon in the past, they're basically exposed and, as a consequence, buggered.

BTW JohnS does have a point, David...!

#25 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 19:47

Don't forget therewere fewer championship races in a season in Amon's day which rather distorts the statistics.

A first seson is a first season whether there's 10 races or 16, as is a season in an uncompetitive car. Effectively Button has done fewer races than Amon.

#26 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 20:04

Originally posted by D-Type

Effectively Button has done fewer races than Amon.

Do you mean simply because he's competed in fewer seasons, Duncan?!

#27 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 20:57

Originally posted by Twin Window

Do you mean simply because he's competed in fewer seasons, Duncan?!

Yes, I think so. The point I'm trying to make is that we are not comparing like to like. Although fewer races made up a championship season, in earlier times drivers also raced in other categories, so I think it is more meaningful to count seasons than races. How you express this statistically I don't know.

The converse is that you could say that Amon effectively drove in more GP's. He certainly competed in more top level races. He did have wins in non-championship F1 races, International sports car races such as Le Mans and the 'almost F1' Tasman races. I haven't read Forza Amon so I can't give statistics.

#28 brooster51

brooster51

• 210 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 22:02

Originally posted by David McKinney

Complete red herring, Brooster
If you limit the comparison to F1 races - in fact, if you restrict it even further, to world championship F1 races - you will see there were many occasions in which Amon was in a dominant position, heading for an apparent certain victory, when "bad luck" intervened. I can't remember many such occasions when Button has been in this position.

Sorry, I didn't state my point clearly. Amon proved his ability time and time again not just by domintating a number of F1 races that he had the bad luck to not win, but by being extremely competitive in other classes. Button has only F1. Amon displayed his ability in such series as the Tasman where he was clearly competitive and won against Clark, et al. Button has not had that opportunity. So saying it differently, did Amon show, unequivocally, his ability and the answer is Yes. Has Button, No, not to say that he won't.

It's an observation that drivers in Amon's era had the opportunity to clearly demonstrate these abilities even though they didn't win in F1. Another example that may even be a bit clearer is J. Rindt. 3 dog years in Cooper Maserati and a year in Brabham Repco where he could show only that he could move a not very good car (or engine in the case of the Brabham) around with some speed. But in F2 he was dominant and gernerally won against all comers. F1 drivers today don't have that chance.

#29 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 22:22

It would seem to me that Amon was a much superior driver simply because he honored his contracts.

Still, he asked to be relieved of his Ferrari contract in 1969 and he simply didn't race the F1 car in the second part of the year. I've always been puzzled that other drivers (T. Brambilla, P. Rodriguez) did, but that Chris stood at the sideline.
What was the story behind that? Why didn't he just race and fulfill his contract?

#30 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 22:34

Sorry, I didn't state my point clearly. Amon proved his ability time and time again not just by domintating a number of F1 races that he had the bad luck to not win, but by being extremely competitive in other classes. Button has only F1. Amon displayed his ability in such series as the Tasman where he was clearly competitive and won against Clark, et al. Button has not had that opportunity. So saying it differently, did Amon show, unequivocally, his ability and the answer is Yes. Has Button, No, not to say that he won't.

It's an observation that drivers in Amon's era had the opportunity to clearly demonstrate these abilities even though they didn't win in F1. Another example that may even be a bit clearer is J. Rindt. 3 dog years in Cooper Maserati and a year in Brabham Repco where he could show only that he could move a not very good car (or engine in the case of the Brabham) around with some speed. But in F2 he was dominant and gernerally won against all comers. F1 drivers today don't have that chance.

This is a bloody good point

#31 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 23:40

It has seemed to me over the years that the very best drivers had the capacity to give performances that were one notch or more higher than the expectations of their team and other drivers.

There were times that Amon would do that. We haven't seen a hint of that from Button, and, after 99 starts, I doubt we will.

#32 mctshirt

mctshirt

• 183 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:26

Originally posted by JohnS

I think if Button gets the right car he has the talent to win a lot of races. How many races did it take Mika Hakkinen before he won? As soon as McLaren gave him a decent car he was winning every other race!

John

Mika Hakkinen had his first win at Jerez 1997 marking his 97th start. This is also the most starts before a GP win by a driver who went on to win a WDC.

#33 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:33

I understood your point perfectly, Brooster, and agree with it entirely
What I was saying was that Amon can be shown to outrank Button even by ignoring other categories

#34 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:50

Originally posted by mctshirt
While reading a newspaper article which mentioned Jensen Button's 99 F1 starts thus far and has yet to win a GP.

Jenson Button
GRAND PRIX STARTS 99
GRAND PRIX WINS 0 Best Finish - 4 x 2nd Places
POLE POSITIONS 2
POINTS SCORED 166
RACES LED 9
LAPS LED 80

The article also pointed out Jackie Stewart's results after 99 starts.

In his 99 starts Jackie Stewart had 3 times been crowned World Champion and in cars that were probably not the best in the field in any year

#35 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:44

I just find it incredible that a driver can be offered a 55 Million contract (over 5 years) yet has not won a motor race since 1999 - and that was in British F3! He didn't even win the title. Marc Hynes did who has sort of disappeared through lack of cash.

#36 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 13:01

Right on Jenson, another 8th! :rolleyes:

#37 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 13:45

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
I just find it incredible that a driver can be offered a 55 Million contract (over 5 years) yet has not won a motor race since 1999 - and that was in British F3! He didn't even win the title. Marc Hynes did who has sort of disappeared through lack of cash.

Sometimes we're so naive!. It's 0.5m for driving racing cars, 54.5m for smiling sweetly and looking nice in front of cameras and sponsors. He has proved himself to be very good indeed at one of those.

#38 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 15:32

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Sometimes we're so naive!. It's 0.5m for driving racing cars, 54.5m for smiling sweetly and looking nice in front of cameras and sponsors. He has proved himself to be very good indeed at one of those.

:up: :rotfl: ( I wonder which one he is best at ) :cool:

#39 green-blood

green-blood

• 709 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:52

woud it be too simple to just point out that Button is eh rubbish!!

Advertisement

#40 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 15:15

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

The 5 years bit might be rather more important than the 55 million.

What are the chances that when Button's performance fails to live up to his PR again (next year, like any other) that he will want to get out of this latest contract as well.

The chances of him staying long enough to 'earn' anything like 55 million must be pretty remote.

I hope that the team has a get out clause, there are plenty of other perfectly adequate F1 drivers out there (and surely now that cars are so much more important it would be better to spend the money on the car rather than the jockey).

These days most companies seem to be trying to shorten everyone's contracts, F1 must be one of the few places where contracts seem to be getting longer!

#41 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 15:47

Originally posted by Peter Morley

I hope that the team has a get out clause, there are plenty of other perfectly adequate F1 drivers out there (and surely now that cars are so much more important it would be better to spend the money on the car rather than the jockey).

These days most companies seem to be trying to shorten everyone's contracts, F1 must be one of the few places where contracts seem to be getting longer!

It'll be interesting if, for the 2008 season, the FIA manage to legislate all the driver aids out of existence. Teams might then be forced to hire drivers who can actually drive.

#42 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 16:23

It is intriguing how some people manage to simultaneously deride Button for not winning a GP, whilst elevating Amon to hero status for….not winning a GP.

Shurely shome mishtake?

#43 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 16:32

Originally posted by BRG
It is intriguing how some people manage to simultaneously deride Button for not winning a GP, whilst elevating Amon to hero status for….not winning a GP.

Shurely shome mishtake?

When Amon didn't win GPs, it was on several occasions because the car let him down in some way while dominating the race. Button just isn't as fast as the best of his opposition. Very different.

#44 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 6,190 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 17:43

I wouldnt go as far as comparing Button with Amon but Button is far from rubbish as some have suggested here. I'm not a fan of his but he manages to be consistently up the sharp end race after race. However, he's probably the least 'respected' driver at the business end of the grid...

For the future, it is perhaps interesting to look at the example of Alonso, he was all at sea last year and this year he's the champion. All it would take is for BAR to produce a very nice car, and then you'd hear Jenson moaning about how 7 wins was a bit disappointing...

#45 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 17:47

When Amon didn't win GPs, it was on several occasions because the car let him down in some way while dominating the race.

IIRC, Amon had to retire due to some problem when leading the race in six ocasions.

#46 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 19:06

Originally posted by BuzzingHornet
I
For the future, it is perhaps interesting to look at the example of Alonso, he was all at sea last year and this year he's the champion.

All at sea?? The lad is younger than my children: what do people expect? He's probably got a sound system removed from his Citroen Saxo in the car.

I think he's still younger than my children this year, too.

#47 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:50

Originally posted by BuzzingHornet
I wouldnt go as far as comparing Button with Amon but Button is far from rubbish as some have suggested here. I'm not a fan of his but he manages to be consistently up the sharp end race after race. However, he's probably the least 'respected' driver at the business end of the grid...

For the future, it is perhaps interesting to look at the example of Alonso, he was all at sea last year and this year he's the champion. All it would take is for BAR to produce a very nice car, and then you'd hear Jenson moaning about how 7 wins was a bit disappointing...

Button is certainly far from rubbish, none of them are rubbish.
But he has done nothing to suggest he is as good as we are constantly being told, and the idea that he is worth paying so much just doesn't add up (as with Irvine & Villeneuve in recent memory).

Whichever team produces the best car they can win (nearly) everything these days, look what happens to M. Schumacher when the car takes a step backwards - even a 7 time world champion can't make a 2nd rate car go well (and vice versa - he couldn't have won so many championships in lesser cars).
That didn't always happen in the past, cars like the Lotus 78/79 were probably miles ahead, but it was far more difficult to optimise the car back then (computer simulations, data logging etc all help).

These days the difference a great driver can make is far less than in the past, spending the money on the car rather than the driver seems to have a far greater benefit (but of course money alone doesn't guarantee success = Toyota or Chelsea!).

#48 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:08

Of course another measure is your team-mate(s). Button has never won a GP, but then none of his team-mates won one either (whilst teamed with Button that is) even though they included a ex-WDC. Whereas Amon....

#49 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:21

Wheras Amon what?

By my count the only Amon team mate that won a race was Ickx - a year Amon could have been world champion.

And don't come back to me with Stewart in 1970 bacause while the cars might have looked the same they had different tyres and JYS not only had the best engines of the March drivers but probably the best of any DFV runners.

And he was being run by Ken Tyrrell.

So your point was what again...?

#50 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:03

It'll be interesting if, for the 2008 season, the FIA manage to legislate all the driver aids out of existence. Teams might then be forced to hire drivers who can actually drive.

"Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannise their teachers."
Socrates 469 - 399 BC

"there is nothing new under the sun."
Ecclesiastes 1:9 (New King James Version)

"The driver of today can almost forget his engine and can certainly drive it as hard as it will go for the whole race. He can also virtually forget his gearbox: with six close ratios you just flick a small lever with finger and thumb; no need to grasp a large knob on a long lever.

"We began to wonder just what our driver of today has to do. He can barely break an engine, can’t muff a gearchange[sic], can’t wear out his brakes or tyres, he just as to lay[sic] there and drive.
But while it is different, there is still a great deal to do, and the things which are unchanged are much more critical. Because so many cars have equal performance he still has to make every movement to almost millisecond accuracy. He still has to judge braking distances, but due to improved brakes and tyres he can brake later, at higher approach speeds. Because of a better reliability he can race for the whole [distance], and often has to. He has to put more effort into the driving than yesterday’s counterpart, with more concentration and keener judgment. The GP driver still does an outstanding job; it’s just that he must apply his skills to different things.”
???