Voiturette results at the Formula 2 Register

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 15:43

As some of you are already aware, Stefan has now completed uploading a new lot of Voiturette results - compiled by yours truly :blush: - to his website. This is the first batch, covering 1931-36. I still have some results to complete for 1937-39: when those are ready there will also be updated and corrected versions of the existing 1939-40 files at the same time.

This link will take you to the index page: you can find the Voiturette results with the F2 results -
http://www.formula2.net/

I've followed Stefan’s conventions, so when 1500cc supercharged cars ran as a class within a race, I have omitted any larger cars (except in a couple of instances where they ran against 2000cc unblown). Similarly, I have only included 1100cc, 1000cc, 800cc and 750cc supercharged classes if they were competing directly against 1500cc supercharged cars: notably this omits the 1931 German GP and the two Mannin Beg races.

I’ve included a number of races not in Sheldon, some of them scratch events. They’re mostly short – five or ten lap thrashes round Donington Park for example – but include events like the Grand Prix des Frontières and the Prix de Bremgarten, a race which I’ve seen described by Baron de Graffenried as the “Swiss National GP” and which was run the day before the Prix de Berne and the pukka Swiss GP.

I’m sure there will be minor events I’ve missed, even within those criteria: for example, I haven’t even attempted to research beach races in the UK and elsewhere and I’d guess there are probably a few road events in Australia which might qualify, either run on a scratch basis or as class handicaps. If anyone has any details – however rudimentary – I’d be keen to receive them. There are also – thanks to Jimmy Piget’s data - three Spanish events for which I have nothing more than the name, date and winner: anyone? There seem to be no races in either North or South America to which these criteria can be applied – again, any details would be appreciated, although I will stress that there should be a demonstrable 1500cc/91ci class. There are probably plenty of US races in which old Millers and Duesenbergs competed, but not as a separate class.

Where partial race numbers are listed, these are usually from photographic evidence – additions are most welcome.

Handicaps
I have also included class handicaps - in which all drivers started in groups separated by the cars’ cylinder capacity – but only where there is a demonstrable 1500cc supercharged class: this means I have had to omit a few races like the International Trophy, where 1500cc cars ran within classes for larger supercharged cars (usually 1800cc or 2500cc). I also omitted the various Brooklands 500 races, partly because it’s very difficult to work out which cars ran as racing cars and which as sports cars. Again, in class handicaps I have omitted cars larger than 1500cc, but included all cars up to that size. This is not an ideal solution, but my main intention was to track the development of 1500cc racing in the 1930s, not the decline of old GP cars!

Also for class handicaps, I have given an effective scratch result, showing the actual times achieved from the various starting groups, with a supplementary result after the handicap was applied (or before it was ignored, depending on your point of view!) Having said that, most of the class handicaps are actually still to come, since the main place they were run was Crystal Palace, which didn’t open until 1937!

At some point I hope to include some of the more important international handicap races like the 1932-39 Australian GPs, early South African races and so on, but it’s usually quite hard to find exactly what individual handicaps were applied and (as anyone who’s looked at the Australian GPs will know) even when you have that information, the published results may not agree!

Acknowledgments
Lots of TNF members have helped in compiling these results, whether wittingly or unwittingly! Apologies to anyone who thinks I’ve missed them out, but here goes, in no particular order: John Humphries, Hans Etzrodt, Alessandro Silva, Marc Ceulemans, David T, Leif Snellman, IMV, sat, kvadrat, Frank Verplanken, anjakub, RAP, David McKinney, criceto, Darren Galpin, Gigleux, Hieronymus, VDP, Egon Thurner, Jimmy Piget, Don Capps, Michael Müller, Adam Ferrington, starlet, Ray Bell, Roger Clark, Daniel King, Guido di Carli, McRonalds, KJJ, Rob29, Doug Nye, Quintin Cloud and last but not least Felix Muelas and Rafa Reyna and their colleagues on the Spanish Forum.

Additions and corrections
As mentioned above, any additions or corrections are most welcome. You can either post them here, email me via Atlas or use the link on Stefan’s site.

Advertisement

#2 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 15:52

Congratulations on a job well done, and thanks to Stefan for his splendid page! :clap:

You guys are amazing and I dare not think how much effort and time was invested there. There must be close to 2,500 documents over there now... :eek:

#3 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 16:53

a great site indeed , a very useful tool, is there plan to add north american formula B and atlantic somedays and why not formula A/5000 :)

#4 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 16:57

Richard & Stefan - Its nice to finally see the fruits of your ongoing work.

I shall contribute mosaik pieces if and when I find them.
But...
...you are always welcome to ask and I will search. This may be the faster way for you to get an answer.

#5 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,649 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 18:16

Looks good.

:up:

#6 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:51

Blimey!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Great job!
David B

#7 brooster51

brooster51

• 210 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:32

This is one of my favorite sites. Excellent job of high quality and generous quantity.

#8 Reyna

Reyna

• 630 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:29

Bravo Richard and Stefan !!!
:clap:

Trofeo del Socorro Rojo 1936 (Montjuich, november 15th).

1º F. Puig, - Bugatti - 10 laps
2º Salvador García - Amilcar - a 59''5
Claudio - Bugatti - 1 lap
DNF Mascarell - Bugatti
DNF Aranguren - Bugatti
DNS J. Destor - Ricart
DNS J. Forment - Fiat
DNS E. Tárrega - Talbot
DNS S. Ramírez - Amilcar
DNS A. Maggi - Bugatti

Pole Position: A. Maggi, 2'42''
Fastest lap: F. Puig, 2'33''

#9 seruga

seruga

• 22 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:31

Great job :up: :up: :up:

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 13:02

Rafa - thank you very much! :clap: :clap:

Presumably the A Maggi on pole is the Italian Count Aymo Maggi of Mille Miglia fame? And do you know if it's the same Montjuich track as used in later years?

Now, about those two Sitges races .....;)

#11 anjakub

anjakub

• 612 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 16:56

Great job :up:

III Miedzynarodowe Okrezne Wyscigi Automobilowe, Grand Prix Lwowa

(Position, #, Driver, Nationality, Entrant, Car, Time, Laps, Reason out)

1. (32) Pierre Veyron F (Usines Bugatti), 1.5 Bugatti T51A, 3.52.44.1 = 78,05 km/h
2. (36) Ernst Burgaller D (Ernst Burgaller), 1.5 Bugatti T51A, 3.54.02.0
3. (28) Guido Landi I (Guido Landi), 1.1 Maserati 26C (8C-1100), 3.55.36,4
4. (24) Jan Ripper PL (Jan Ripper), 1.5 Bugatti T37A, 4.04.26,4

Not classified:
(26) Anne-Cecilie Rose-Itier F (Anne-Cecilie Rose-Itier), 1.5 Bugatti T51A, 99 laps
(34) Maria Kozmianowa PL (Andrzej Kozmian), 1.5 Bugatti T37A, 93 laps

Retired:
(30) Ernst Simons D (Ernst Simons), 1.5 Bugatti T37A, 78 laps, ? (indigestion)
(40) Stanislaw Holuj PL (Stanislaw Holuj), 1.5 Bugatti T37A, 53 laps, brakes
(42) Hans Rüesch CH (Hans Rüesch), 1.5 Alfa Romeo 6C-1500, 45 laps ? (indigestion)
(38) Vittoria Orsini I (Vittoria Orsini), 1.5 Maserati 4CM, 7 laps, withdrew due to tiredness

Correctly Maria Kozmianowa not Marie-Luise Kozmianowa. She had second, rarely used forename Ludwika (in french Luise).

#12 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 18:16

Originally posted by anjakub
Retired:
(30) Ernst Simons D (Ernst Simons), 1.5 Bugatti T37A, 78 laps, ? (indigestion)
(42) Hans Rüesch CH (Hans Rüesch), 1.5 Alfa Romeo 6C-1500, 45 laps ? (indigestion)

:confused: :confused:

#13 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 21:01

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Presumably the A Maggi on pole is the Italian Count Aymo Maggi of Mille Miglia fame? And do you know if it's the same Montjuich track as used in later years?

Vitesse,

According to Javier del Arco in his impressive book on "Montjuïc", this A. Maggi wouldn't be the same Aymo Maggi of Mille Miglia fame.

The track for this race was the same used previously for several ('33 to '36) Penya Rhin GP, and in later years for the '69, '71, '73 & '75 Spanish GP.

Carles.

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 21:38

Carles, Andrzej: thanks for the clarifications. But like David, I'm rather confused by "Indigestion" as a retirement reason! Dodgy meal the night before? :lol:

#15 anjakub

anjakub

• 612 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:09

Richard, David: The certain sources announced indigestion, but there is not sure. About voiturette race in 1933 known not much. Leave in column "reason" - ?, till the moment of explanation.

#16 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:43

Just a guess-maybe the'indigestion' refers to the engine not the driver?
Three female drivers in one 'F2' race! Had not noticed that before-must be a record?

#17 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:18

Is there anything regarding this 'indigestion' in the book by Atoyan? Perhaps indyricefan13, being an owner of a copy, can explain us...

#18 anjakub

anjakub

• 612 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 14:27

I check it. Rob29 you are right. It is probably inefficient car. In Polish very similar niestrawnosc (indigestion) - niesprawnosc (inefficient).