Photo

Willow Springs in the Sixties

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 16:54

Just received these photos which I thought might be of interest...some sports car racing from Willow Springs, March 1964. The circuit looks pretty basic?

Art Sanford of Santa Monica, in the Sunbeam Alpine, Stuart Watson in the Speedster number 72. Some of you met occasional TNFer Stu with me at Goodwood Revival a couple of years back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 18:47

bit basic, yes, but bluddy good fun, I bet.

#3 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 19:10

Basic? Yup. I put in lots and lots of laps at Willow and never had more fun on
a racetrack. Well, except for Tijuana, Playas and old airport.

See it in the early fifties (Tom Cardin Collection, near the bottom of the first album)
and last year (my photos of the "Fifty Years of Racing at Willow" celebration)
You might recognize Chuck Daigh, Bruce Kessler, Arlen Kurtis, John Morton, entre alia

Willow Springs

Some more Willow material, including a link to 8mm stills from a hot lap

My Willow Pages

--
Frank S

#4 EProduction

EProduction

• 14 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 19:20

What's the best line through Turn 1? Turn 9?

Basic is right. I was at Willow Springs a few years back to spectate a vintage race and they seem to have added grandstands, otherwise...

Off course is loose cobblestones. When I went off course at Turn 9, I always worried about the cobblestones flying up and damaging the Speedster's torsion bars. Based on my ancient experience, you were allowed to go off course just once; that earned you a furled black flag. The second time, they unfurled the flag, inviting you into the pits.

#5 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 19:25

Originally posted by EProduction
What's the best line through Turn 1? Turn 9?

Basic is right. I was at Willow Springs a few years back to spectate a vintage race and they seem to have added grandstands, otherwise...

Off course is loose cobblestones. When I went off course at Turn 9, I always worried about the cobblestones flying up and damaging the Speedster's torsion bars. Based on my ancient experience, you were allowed to go off course just once; that earned you a furled black flag. The second time, they unfurled the flag, inviting you into the pits.

Thankyou 72 ;)

#6 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 21:03

The Cardin images claiming Chuck Daigh look more like showing Tony Bettenhausen to me.

WINO

#7 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 21:09

And the fellow next to Bettenhausen isn't Lloyd Ruby either, although there is no doubt in my mind that that is Jane herself, on the other side of Tony.

WINO

#8 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 22:26

Originally posted by WINO
The Cardin images claiming Chuck Daigh look more like showing Tony Bettenhausen to me.

WINO

And the fellow next to Bettenhausen isn't Lloyd Ruby either, although there is no doubt in my mind that that is Jane herself, on the other side of Tony.

WINO

Thank you.
No surprise that the IDs are contested. The identifier spoke authoritatively,
and I am not an expert on those faces and names.

I'll note the exceptions and see what develops.

--
Frank S

#9 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 22:30

Frank,

While you are at it, photo 67 [identified as #249 Pooper] is really the Lubin bobtail Cooper/Climax with Drake at the wheel.

WINO

#10 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 23:04

Frank,

While you are at it, photo 67 [identified as #249 Pooper] is really the Lubin bobtail Cooper/Climax with Drake at the wheel.

WINO

More thanks.