Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:48

Never having visited Berlin, I have often wondered just what is left of the AVUS circuit. Is that it?

Edward

#3 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:07

45 euros for a room sounds good. I don't think that was a hotel when I was there in 1991 Most of the circuit is part of the public road system. Has the grandstand which I think survived WW2 been demolished?

#4 hans stuck

hans stuck

• 91 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 15:08

This seems to be all that is left...it was a thrill to be there, even though it's pretty much 99% devoid of any history. Luckily we had a friendly taxi driver who appreciated I was a racing fan...getting to the motorcycle monument was a difficult task. Its right in the middle of a very busy & wide highway...we had to pull over and I hopped out. The plot it's on is very small...20 feet by 30 feet, with highways and roads surrounding it. Regarding the Mercedes tower / hotel, I took my photo practically in the middle of an off ramp from the highway. From this position the Nordkurve would be on my right, sweeping by the tower. This is now a huge parking lot for the hotel, lots of tractor trailers parked there. In the entrance way of the hotel is a crudely drawn poster on the wall, depicting a Merc on the Nordkurve. The "dining room" has a couple of booths...which have photo collages built into the back parts. That's it. I asked if I could take a walk out onto the balconies but was turned down because I wasnt staying at the hotel. Chris

#5 Marcel Visbeen

Marcel Visbeen

• 237 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:52

Originally posted by Rob29
Has the grandstand which I think survived WW2 been demolished?

I don't think so. I know Germans can be quick, but there was a grandstand at the outside of the track two weeks ago, when I was there. The grandstand certainly looked oldfashioned enough to be pre-war. You can see the stand from the very same point where Chris took his picture of the hotel, you just have to turn around and look the other way :) .
Of course I made some pictures myself but at the moment I'm too busy to post them, maybe later.

#6 Roly

Roly

• 61 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:44

Hi,

Just a couple pics while were on the subject.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Very nice to see the old tracks, or what's left of them.

Roland

#7 hans stuck

hans stuck

• 91 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 14:48

Hi Marcel:
Oops, I did have to rush through my time there, I would've loved to have seen some old grandstands. Please post some pics when you can.
It seemed to me that behind me was only highway, but my sense of proportion and space was off a little too, it was only later that I realized the curve would be on my right, not on the left where the cars are zooming by now! Chris

#8 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 17:52

If you have google earth you can see the route of the old circuit very clearly and dramatically.

#9 MCH

MCH

• 351 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 19:07

The contours of the old south corner loop are also visible when you look for it.

When was this part of the circuit demolished?