Enlightening Désire Wilson Interview

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Orkun ZENER

Orkun ZENER

• 52 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 00:16

Hi,

Here is the my second interview that was made by former Formula 1 woman driver Désire Wilson. It was first published at www.padokf1.com in Turkish .I’ve re-arranged it for Atlasf1.

I think there are lots of interesting details and comments about her carrer ,circuits,woman pilots and F1 .(The facts about not qualifying at 1980 Brisith Gp, comments about her wife Alan Wilson and Ken Tyrell , comments about Silverstone and Brands Hatch circuits etc..) .

Best Ragards.
Orkun ÖZENER.
Padokf1.com
Editor/Columnist

---------------

Section- 1. Her Career and Cirucits

1- Orkun ÖZENER: Mrs.Wilson in your carrer you have to attempted for two Formula 1 races. 1980 British grandprix at Brands Hatch , which you failed to qualify and the second is South African Grand Prix ( which was stripped of its championship status because of FISA and FOCA war ) that you spinned and did not finished the race . Looking back to the history, what was the problem in this races.The lack of performances of the cars or any other thing ?

Désire WILSON:

The 1980 F1 British GP was perhaps the greatest heartbreak of all time. The circumstances could not be released at the time, as I was still trying to have a career in F1. There are times when a driver has to keep quiet in the hopes that things will turn around.

During the tire test days two weeks before the GP, (my first time in ground effect skirted car), I felt extremely good in the car. The RAM team had supplied a second car for this race – my team mate was Rupert Keegan. I was quicker than Rupert (former F3 champion and F1 driver), and also 9th fastest of 21 drivers, including the Ferrari’s. I was extremely confident that I would qualify for the race two weeks later. The more laps I did the faster I went.

Two weeks later at the BGP, I immediately noticed that I did not fit properly in the cockpit. The seat and peddles did not line up as before. In the first practice session I was 3 seconds a lap slower than in testing!!! I asked if this was the same car and John MacDonald told me it was.

In the first qualifying session on my third lap, I moved over to wave Jaques Lafitte through to pass on the inside, he passed me and then chopped me so hard moving over as he went by that I went off the track on the outside to avoid hitting him. His comments were “no f…….. woman should be in F1” on television. So that ended my first qualifying run. In the second qualifying session, the qualifying tires were on a set of wheels that did not fit the car. So I had to qualify on “hard” tires. The car was evil and had no grip. I did not qualify for the race.

The Monday after the GP, I got a call from Emilio De Villoto. He said he was really sorry I did not qualify for the GP. He explained that I was driving his personal FW07 in the tire test days, (he was not told this by RAM) and that I was given an Aurora F1 FW07 that had been damaged a few weeks before at Monza to drive in the GP as he had refused to allow them to use his GP car.

This same FW07 was later driven by both Geoff Lees and Kevin Cogan and neither qualified for the Canadian and USA GP. There were some shameful car owners in that time.

Bernie Ecclestone had being trying to put me into a third Brabham at the 1981 SAGP. A month before the GP, I received a call from Ken Tyrrell, telling me that the Brabham was not available and that I would be driving for him. I was really ecstatic. My dream was to drive for Ken. The Brabham was a much more competitive car, winning championships, but I always respected Ken as he was known to be a “talent spotter”.

I had not driven a race car for almost three months or an F1 car for more than seven. I had no testing and the GP weekend was the first time I sat in the car. I qualified 16th, 0.6 seconds slower that Eddie Cheever in the first Tyrrell, who had been testing most of the winter. John Watson was 15th in the McLaren.

I made a disastrous start, and found myself last off the grid. However, in the wet, I was pretty exceptional and started picking off drivers, including Eddie and Nigel Mansell (Lotus). I had worked my way up to 9th, with the track drying, when I started trying a little to hard, got on the power to soon, lost the rear end and spun. I touched the wall with my rear wing, drove back to the pits, but there was too much damage to replace the wing. I was pretty miffed with myself as I had made the mistake.
A few weeks after the race the FIA delisted the Grand Prix due to “political” issues.

The “delisting” has had a great impact on my current life, as I did drive in a F1 Grand Prix, however as it is not listed as a World Championship, it was dropped off the calendar and all the history books. So I now have to say I drove in a Non-World Championship Grand Prix.

2-OÖ: After 1981 South African Grandprix your position in the Tyrrell team had been subject to a sponsorship deal, which failed due to the political situation and your place was taken by Michele Albereto. Can you explain what the real problem was ? And how did you feel after this situation ?

DW:

The main reason for not driving again in Formula One was that I had no sponsorship. The smaller teams such as Tyrrell had not landed a major sponsor for the season, and Ken needed sponsorship to compete. He told me to get ready to go to Long Beach, Brazil and Argentina. I had no sponsorship to offer. A week before the USGP, he called me and said that Kevin Cogan had come up with Michelob $’s, so Long Beach was off. Two weeks before Brazil, Ricardo Zunino came up with the $’s for the South American events. Then Michele Alboreto came up with the $’s for the rest of the European season. Ken really wanted me in his car and he tried very hard to raise the ₤100,000 that he wanted but could not get past the “South African” label as this was the time when anti-apartheid activism was at its height. All during this time and for the rest of the year, I searched everywhere for sponsorship – all I needed was ₤100,000 for the season! I was extremely disappointed not to be given the chance to drive a full season in F1 for I truly believe that I would have been able to prove and gain the respect that I deserved to be in F1.

3-OÖ: You 've worked with Ken Tyrrell in 1981 . Comparing with todays team bosses he always had an extraordinary personality . What are your thoughts about him ?

DW:

Ken Tyrrell was a gentleman. I had dreamed of driving for him. I had only one opportunity. He was gracious and respectful but at the same time when I made mistakes he let me know he was unhappy.

He also knew how to get the best out of a driver, he would give you a “chopper” but then would sit down and try to understand the issue and help you gain confidence. I had the utmost respect for him.

4 – OÖ: If you analyse the 19 Formula 1 circuits (that the grandprix being held ) in terms of track design and construction ? Which circuit has the best facilities in terms of safety and which is the worse ?

DW:
This is difficult as I have only seen a few of the current GP tracks. Obviously the new Tilke tracks have the best facilities because they are the newest, have the most budgets for construction and are purpose built for F1. However they do not (yet) have the character or tradition of older tracks such as Monza and Spa. It is doubtful if any of the new tracks costing in the hundreds of millions of dollars will ever be financially successful, which I believe is the most important factor of all, after all, if it goes out of business or cannot reinvest how can it keep up to date with ever changing safety requirements?

To say that Monaco is the least safe track, would probably draw much criticism. The safety has hardly changed in years – but it is Monaco and it will remain as it is due to it’s notoriety and ambiance and history.

Unfortunately F1 safety does not always translate into successful tracks for motorcycles or other forms of cars but their safety is definitely way better than ever before. It’s just difficult to prevent their atmosphere from becoming too clinical when emotion is what really makes a race or track successful and tradition takes time to build up.

5- OÖ: As you know there was a big conflict with Bernie Ecclestone and BRDC because of Silverstone cirucit - Brisith Gp before the 2005 season begin . Being involved with the Brands Hacth and the british motosrpots industry for many years what are your opininons about this conflict and the situation of the Silverstone Circuit .

DW:

This is also very difficult to comment on because there are many years of issues that are behind the problems. There is no doubt that Silverstone is not up to the (F1) standards of the new Tilke tracks and has less corporate capacity. However it is also way better for spectators and corporate guests than Brazil, Hungary, Spa, Imola and several others, so the issue is not really how bad it is perceived to be but how good it could be with sufficient investment. However the track is owned by a club with members who are want the track to serve other needs as well as F1 (it is the heart of English racing); who want it to survive financially and who want it to be around for many years. Their concern is that meeting Bernie’s capital investment needs would bankrupt the club and force its sale to someone else…maybe Bernie? This is especially concerning because Bernie controls how much the Grand Prix costs and is in a position to ensure the track loses money on the GP, if he wants. There is very little trust between the members and Bernie on this issue, hence the ongoing problems. The track itself is not the issue, who controls it, is.

6- OÖ: Can you compare Brands Hatch and Silverstone in terms of track design, safety, management , public roads to cirucits and the situation of the areas outside of the race track and etc..

DW:

Brands Hatch was one of my favorite race tracks. It used to be so challenging. But safety was always a compromise. In some places the houses are almost right up against the safety zone fence. The safety zones cannot really be increased unless some of the houses get moved! So it will probably never be able to host a modern F1 event. Brands Hatch’s great days ended when John Webb arranged for John Foulston to buy it instead of Bernie after which it immediately lost the British GP. The track was then run by Nicola Foulston who managed it without passion and ruined its character and took away it’s emotion. She then sold it to Octagon who did not do a good job and let it run further into the ground. Fortunately Jonathan Palmer has now bought it and is returning it to something like its former glory. As a race track is still one of the very best, for drivers and spectators, but for safety it is out of date compared to modern tracks. Still, it is a great national level track and with Palmer’s guidance could return to its former top level status.

Silverstone has never been able to have the emotion and traditions of Brands because of its flat nature, and also because it has changed track shapes more times than any other. But it is still one of the fastest and most technical tracks and generally creates very good F1 races. Its greatest asset is that it has supported British club racing for 50 years, often subsidizing club events, so has done more for British racing than any other company or person. The BRDC should be left alone to develop it on a financially sensible basis and it will remain one of the major F1 tracks.

7-OÖ: Up until now, you are the only woman who can claim to have won a post-war F1 race that makes you a legendary person (in Aurora AFX race). At the other hand you have 22 wins in your carrer and also 16 second places, 42 third places, 17 lap records and 28 fastest laps. Looking back to the history which race was your best ? (Except the win in Brandshatch with Wolf WR3 )

DW:

Winning the World Endurance Championship race at Monza 1000KM in 1980, driving with Alain De Cadenet. The car was a development of one designed by Gordon Murray and had a Cosworth DFV engine with about 480 bhp. We had a few minor problems in practice and qualified 6th. We did not think we would finish in the top three. The car was running really good and with 20 minutes left in the race, I led by quite a margin – I was confident we were going to win the race. Then the rain came, we did not have rain tires or power jacks, so I elected to stay out in the pouring rain on slick tires. Henri Pescarolo in the factory Porsche 935 had changed to wet tires and caught me with about 4 laps to go – I could no hold him off and let him by. But on the last lap he went into the pits, did not stop and carried on through – to this day I do not know why, perhaps he thought he needed fuel? I passed him while he was driving through the pit lane, and won the race by 10 seconds.

8 - OÖ: Have you had any supertition, when you were racing . Like making something before race or carrying something in cockpit that you belevie it gets fortune etc..?

DW:

I have been very lucky not to be superstitious – so I have never had a problem getting into the car or needing my favorite toy or shoe.

9- OÖ: In "Women in Motorsports from 1945" that was written by Susan TP-Jamieson and Peter Tutthill, mentions about peoples that has taken roles in you carrer and becomes your friends ,like John Webb, Nick Challis, Teddy Yip, Lord March, Ken Tyrrell, Alain de Cadenet and Herband Rose Wysard.

Which person (listed above) has the significant supportive effect on your carrer , And Why ?

DW:

Firstly I must say my husband Alan was the most important person in my life – without him I would never have moved to England or Europe to race.

However, from a professional standpoint, John Webb was the most influential. When I was down and out in 1978, John Webb took control of my racing career. Not always the most competitive of cars, but with my focus and commitment and his enthusiasm, I achieved more in my race career than I ever thought I would.

10-OÖ: If you make an self anlyse about your racing carrer , before you have married wiht your husband Alain Wilson and after your marriage. Do you believe there was significant differences. ( For ex : for men pilots there is an idiom “they becames one seceond slower on the track after their wifes gives birth” )

DW:

Before I married Alan, I was determined and dedicated, but quite young and naïve. Alan took control of my life and my racing. He gave me the confidence to take on any challenge. He supported me no matter what – he knew that racing was my life and came first. I was able to give 110% and commit myself and my life. He never once asked me to quit, to this day he supports me and expects me to give my all – or not race. I did not have any children for this reason. I could not have given my life to racing if I had a child and that responsibility.

Section 2- Women in Motorsports

11- OÖ: One of the serious workshop on woman in motorsports in 1997 proposed, the RAC Motor Sports Association commissioned psychologist Dr Judy Eaton to study women's involvement in motor racing as only 2% of competitive motorsport licence holders in Great Britain are female, approximately 32,000. The low number of competitive female drivers is surprising when you consider 40% of karters aged between 8 and 12 are girls . This is an issue that Dr Eaton studied. Reasons girls drop out of karting were found to include peer pressure and physical changes. Girls who remained in the sport reported they felt forced to quit, cases included girls being bullied, verbally abused or over-scrutinized if they did well as people accused them of cheating.

Not knowing the exact statistical numbers of 2005 ( but I think they do not have huge differences since 1997 ) What are your opinions about this situation?

DW :

I started racing at the age of 5 years in Micro Midgets. I quit at the age of 13 due to peer pressure. (Teen girls were not supposed to be interested in car racing). Bearing in mind this was back in the 60’s. However according to the study it still seems to be an issue.

Motor racing is still viewed as a male and very macho sport. Woman are tolerated but not welcome. The more successful you are the more difficult it becomes. Girls and women start encroaching on the “male hormone and testosterone”. Boys are raised in the belief that they are stronger and the dominant sex – so to test this is against all their beliefs.

12-OÖ: Same reports mentions about “Another major setback for young competitors is finance. Motor racing, even at the lower levels, is an expensive sport and girls find it particularly difficult to secure financial backing. Consider the number of male racing drivers today who pay tribute to their family and friends for extensive support, financial and emotional, as they tried to make it to the top - this support is often lacking for female drivers as it is deemed too risky.”

Do you agree with this reason? Why or why not? Were there big changes in this mentalitie since 1997 ?

DW:

There is no doubt that motor racing has become incredibly expensive and really only for the very wealthy families. It has become a career which starts as a young child right through until you win a major championship. Even a championship does not guarantee a future, but at least there is credibility.

Again when a girl or woman is concerned, you have to have the families first believe in them in this male sport. Usually this is okay when they are children but then all the pressure starts changing even the families minds. So girls would have to work twice as hard to find sponsorship as they have to gain respect and success first to prove they are worthy for a sponsor to take a chance on. Whereas the boys are given the benefit of the doubt. A great woman race driver is as good as any great male driver.

Since 1997, there seems to have been a little more interest in “successful” woman drivers. Sponsors seem to be a little more interested. However, every move a woman makes, on the track and off the track is scrutinized and “recorded” and will be held against them in the future.

13- OÖ: In some other researches, they state that “ woman pshylogicy is more suitable for endurance races”.Looking back to the history you have attended and succeded in lots of endurance races , So do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?

DW:

I believe that a woman can be just as successful in sprint races as in Endurance Racing. However, we may show better in Endurance racing as I believe we are less aggressive with the race car. Women usually do well in wet weather, as we are not as rough with gear shifts and braking. So the cars last longer – hence the success.

14-OÖ: In a television documentary, David Coulthard said it was not the lack of physical strength that prevented women from competing in motor racing but that they don't have the discipline or attitude to make it..? What are your opinions about this argument?

DW:

Perhaps if David Coulthard had practiced what he preached he may have been a World Champion.

He is pretty naïve if he thinks all woman are the same. He seems to have mixed with only “ditsy” formula one driver chasers. How can he say that an female Olympic champion is not disciplined or have the wrong attitude. Certain women race drivers are just as focused and serious as any man.

15- OÖ : In your opninon which is better ? Women racing in the same race with men or racing in different categories like (men series -women series ) in the olympics ?
Can you please critise this question especially in terms Formula 1 and the other motorsports categories .

DW:

There is a time and place for women to race in their own series – mainly for publicity and public interest. However, women should be treated no differently than a man in any form of racing and should be racing against each other, just as in equestrian events.

If a “top” woman driver is given a F1 testing contract, as many of the young male driver’s of today have, there is no reason that they should not perform as well as any man. There is no doubt that G forces are the main factor in F1 racing today. But there are plenty of woman fighter pilots that have to go through the same G force testing as a man, and they succeed. F1 guys think that they are so macho, try driving 230 mph around Indianapolis for 500 miles and then see what G forces are really like! Some of today’s drivers should try a Williams FWO7 with sliding skirts and see what G forces really are. In 1983 I drove a March IndyCar for 200 miles at the one-mile Phoenix oval where G- forces were around 3 -4 G at each of the four corners and we were lapping at around 22 seconds---how many modern F1 drivers have to go through 4 sets of this G-force every 20 odd seconds, for 200 miles without a break?

16 – OÖ : Do you think , can a woman driver race in F- 1 in the following few years ? If yes, who is your candidate? Do you beleive Danica Patrick has anogh talent and career to race in Formula 1 ?

DW:

Yes a “great” woman driver is capable of racing in F1. As far as naming candidates, there are still a few factors to take into account. Danica Patrick is extremely good on an oval track. She still has to prove herself on a road course. If she wants to race in F1 then she should change to ChampCar or GP2 to prove her ability. There are few more woman in lower categories that are winning races, and time will tell if they are good enough, but they must race and win in either ChampCar or GP2 to prove their talent.

Seciton 3 – Formula 1

17- OÖ: Comparing the US racing series (Chapm car,CART etc...) with Formula 1.What can be the main reasons and the facts , that formula 1 is less popular in US.?

DW:

Firstly I think that Indianapolis is the wrong track and location for F1. However it is the only track that is able to justify the cost. If F1 was held in California it would be much more of a crowd attraction. However the tracks in California do not meet F1 Safety standards and the cost would be prohibitive to change the current tracks. F1 needs a new location on a new track in the USA. There is no track promoter who would pay for a Tilke track which costs a prohibitive $120-$250 Million. The USA has to justify and recoup costs – not as with most new tracks that are Government subsidized or make impossible losses due to Capital expenditure.

This year F1 has improved it’s competitiveness among the teams. It is more interesting to watch than in the past few years. F1 is passion – Europe has passion. ChampCar and IRL are close racing and overtaking – action but lacks the passion. The USA spectator is looking for action, not high tech and finesse.

18- OÖ: Considering the American Gp (2005) Farce at Indianapolis ,.what are your opinions about the prestige of Formula 1 today and what it may be ten years later.?

DW:

F1 hurt itself extremely in the USA in 2005. Only the passionate will return. Formula One is filled with ego’s and bureaucracy. It may work in the rest of the world, but the USA will not forgive very easily. It may improve if the venue changes and more action is seen on the track.

19- OÖ: If you criticise the American Gp 2005.What are your analyses about the situation that is Formula 1 is surviving today?

DW:

I don’t really want to make a personal judgment on the USA GP of 2005. I think it was a farce and should have been sorted out before the event no matter what. Then after the event taken off the F1 World Championship season. – This has happened in the past. Formula One will survive – there is enough passion in the world for it to continue.

OÖ: Thanks.

Best Regards.

Orkun ÖZENER
www.padokf1.com
Editor/Columnist

Advertisement

#2 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:34

Thank you Orkun, a very enjoyable read .

Mrs Wilson certainly doesn't use the "wooden thongue" as we say in French....( which means she doesn't really care about politically correct talk) ....like in this bit :

This is especially concerning because Bernie controls how much the Grand Prix costs and is in a position to ensure the track loses money on the GP, if he wants