Photo

So Long & Thanks for All the Fish!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:14

I originally intended to entitle this thread, Now We Are Six Posted Image, but I think that the phrase from the late Douglas Adams is more appropriate.

While there is no doubt that there is much good left in The Nostalgia Forum and that it will continue to produce much that is of value to the motor racing history community, as well as playing a role as the leading forum of its type, it is difficult for those with long associations with TNF to not notice that there are fewer dolphins than there used to be....

Oh, well, TNF has made it to six and maybe that is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Although I will be among those who keep an eye on TNF, if for no other reason than out of habit, it is very easy to understand the sentiment behind why others may have said "So long & thanks for all the fish."

Advertisement

#2 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:00

Is this considered a duplicate thread? Should I merge it with the other 143 "I'm leaving" threads? :)

See you in the 145th one, Don :kiss:

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:53

I didn't think HDon was saying goodbye, but expressing an understanding of those who had. It may be worth repeating that a forum is the sum of its posts; the centre of gravity may move as the thing gets bigger, but there's room for all. If you don't post then you can't be surprised if the thing changes.

Whatever, the sixth birthday of TNF is certainly worth noting. Being a relative newcomer, i will have to wait until February for my personal sixth anniversary.

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:06

Well done, TNF. Remember, there are always new dolphins checking in to replace those who have left.

Personally, since I read the above-mentioned book, I have never quite trusted dolphins; ask my wife!

#5 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:28

Oh no! Not again...

Edward

#6 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:27

No, I am not leaving, I am only saying that TNF is generally often as much of a victim as the beneficiary of all of its success.

However, this is an inevitability given the nature of things. Things change. For awhile we had pretty the right combination of the time, the people, the place, and the knowledge, all of which combined to far exceed the sum of all the parts. It is impossible to sustain such a level of work for an extended period. TNF is in something of a slump at the moment. However, this "slump" is certainly a thousand times better than the rather pathetic situation which existed at the begining of the forum where the object was often just to generate traffic as to write anything meaningful. Every other "nostalgia forum" out there would love to have such a "slump" -- and funny how there term "nostalgia forum" entered the motor racing history lexicon. Way to go, Bira! :clap:

That TNF will rebound is as inevitable as the "slump" was. There is simply too much talent and too many paths which intersect here for that not to happen. The Nostalgia Forum will continue to play a major role in how motor racing historians interact, but that role has to be balanced with other interests, those not so focused on the more academic aspects of things.

As someone mentioned, there always more dolphins out there, but.....

If I had one last wish,
It would be for a tasty fish...

Actually, I am leaving, but it really doesn't matter any more.... And, I am afraid that I just never found that last tasty fish here, so I wasted a wish....

#7 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:34

The world, and TNF is a better place with 'characters' and people with a bit of personality and some humor, the unexpected and a sideways look at things, so we definitely need 'The Don'

The great thing about this place is, if you think it's getting a bit shallow at times, the remedy is in your own hands, - start up a new, meaty, controversial discussion, the response is usually amazing !

#8 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 16:27

Well, it was nice to be back inside the cozy surroundings of my research library for a few days here in the States, but it is back to the Sandbox for at least six to twelve (or even eighteen...) more months.

Researchers Unite! You have only the chains of incessant chatter and fluff to lose!

#9 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 00:41

I am quite new and can say I am enjoying my baiting and catching
tremendously.
The additions to my library through TNF are wayout!!

#10 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:28

Believe what Don is saying is that for a moment, TNF was a true championship team. Perhaps as good as any that has come together whether it be in words on stage or on track.

Also am hearing that the goods ones have ways of reinventing themselves. With direction we will see. :cool:

Henry