Photo

Maserati Tipo 151: 'The last monster from Modena'

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WINO

WINO

• 608 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 18:01

Until now there has never been a comprehensive reference book on the Maserati Tipo 151, the spectacular Coupe designed with only one specific objective in mind: winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans in the early Sixties.

This is to let Maserati and other aficionados know that a book on the Tipo 151 will soon be available [January 2006]. Just like the recent history on the 450S Maseratis, this book will be published in France by Michel Bollee. The authors are Michel Bollee and Willem Oosthoek. It will be printed in English.

Only three Tipo 151 Maseratis were ever built. The book focuses on the period 1962-1965, during which thirteen drivers tried to tame these powerful beasts: Maurice Trintignant, Lucien Bianchi, Bruce McLaren, Walt Hansgen, Bill Kimberly, Dick Thompson, Augie Pabst, Chuck Daigh, Marvin Panch, Andre Simon, Lucky Casner, Stan Peterson and Skip Hudson.

The Tipo 151 Coupes made the entry lists 27 times, in Europe [Le Mans, Brands Hatch, Reims, Clermont-Ferrand and Montlhery] and the U.S. [Road America, Bridgehampton, Riverside, Daytona Speedway, Vacaville and Cotati]. All owner/entrants were American: Colonel John Simone of Maserati France, Briggs Cunningham, Beverly Spencer of Spencer-Buick and Chuck Jones of Team Meridian.

Every race in which a Tipo 151 was entered is allocated its own chapter, with full description of the action and complete entrylists/final results, including race numbers, engine sizes and classes of all participants. The events range from World Sports Car Championship rounds to obscure California Divisionals sanctioned by the SCCA. All are illustrated by an abundance of never-seen photographs, many in color. The book includes: Full technical specifications of the annual upgrades by the factory; Race histories by chassis numbers; Subsequent post-competition histories; Insights by drivers, owners and mechanics; Drivers' biographies.

In addition, "The Last Monster From Modena" covers details on the Tipo 151 competition from Europe [Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lotus, Cooper, Ford] and North America [Scarab, Genie, Dailu, Chaparral, Zerex Special, Harrison Special, Shelby Cobra, Corvette Grand Sport and Anglo/American hybrids such as the King Cobra].

Price: 72 euros plus postage [in the U.S.: $105 postpaid]

Format: 24 cm by 32 cm

Contents: 184 pages, including 296 black-and-white and color photographs.

For interested parties in The Americas, please contact willemoosthoek@aol.com
For those living in Europe and the rest of the world, please contact Michel Bollee at mbollee@yahoo.fr

WINO

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 21:29

They can count me in for sure, the format of the 450S book was just great.

Andrew

#3 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 22:23

This is getting expensive. First the Supercage book by Oosthoek and then the 450S book and now this - if only it was to be published in time for my holiday wish list

Now that I am done complaining - i would like to see Oosthoek do a similar book on the Tipo 60 & 61 birdcages.

Bill

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 22:41

Bill, the book already exists. It's by Joel E. Finn and I have it.

It covers the original Birdcages (60 and 61) really well with histories of where each car has been.

It was published in 1980 at £10.00 in the U.K. I fear you might have to pay a bit more than that for one now.

This is the car that is on the front cover....

Posted Image

#5 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 23:45

Count me in too. Like Barry, I already have the Joel Finn book, which is quite comprehensive, plus the one on the tipo 63/Supercage. The French-text volume on Lucky Casner and his escapades is also enlightening, I found, with a wide range of photographs. Good quality is invariably at a price. It was excellent to see two of the 151s at Goodwood a few years ago, the only chance I am likely to have, I suspect.

Roger Lund.

#6 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 00:23

I would consider the Maserati 152s to be monsters too. Are they included, or will that be yet another book? How about the 154??

#7 WINO

WINO

• 608 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 00:40

Of course the Maserati France Tipo 152 is included as well, as is their Tipo 154. However, keep in mind that these were the unofficial designations used by owner Colonel John Simone. The factory called them Tipo 151/3 and Tipo 151/4.

WINO

#8 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 00:44

Originally posted by Barry Boor

It covers the original Birdcages (60 and 61) really well with histories of where each car has been.

It was published in 1980 at £10.00 in the U.K. I fear you might have to pay a bit more than that for one now.

This is the car that is on the front cover....

Posted Image

Barry,

I have the Finn book, just in my opinion it isn't in the same league as the Oosthoek books.

Bill

#9 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:44

Originally posted by WINO
Of course the Maserati France Tipo 152 is included as well, as is their Tipo 154. However, keep in mind that these were the unofficial designations used by owner Colonel John Simone. The factory called them Tipo 151/3 and Tipo 151/4.

WINO

Well, another book to add to my "wants" list.

#10 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:25

Originally posted by Barry Boor

Joel did the best he could with what he knew at the time. However, as Willem can attest to, we now know so much more and what in Joel's book is not always as accurate as we once thought, simply the result of a quarter of a century's more research....

#11 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:55

Thanks for the plug WINO. I have the 450S and the "Birdcage to Supercage" books. They are just great. Real gems. "Ohh Santa....!!"

Posted Image