Watkins Glen (1948 - 1952 road course) photo tour

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 23:37

Watkins Glen (Road Course) Photo Tour

On the 11th September, myself and and a friend went to the Watkins Glen original road course. Firstly, we went round and did a few laps in a road car; two of which were filmed. Later, we went to the Watkins Glen circuit to watch the historic racing, and afterwards, we went back to the road circuit to take some pictures.

I know it seems like self-promotion of the website, but there's nearly 100 photos, and to quicken loading times, they will not all be posted here. However, you can view the photo tour at the link below, and reply in this thread:
http://www.crasheram...urse/page1.html

Video onboard a road car can be found here for all registered users of the forum (until December 2005) :
http://www.racecarsg...opic.php?t=3212

Here's a small preview:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Enjoy! :D

Note that I am looking for people to write articles for the main website (minimum 100 words) on practically anything to do with motor racing. Any offers? :)

See here for more details:
http://forums.atlasf...678#post2209678

Advertisement

#2 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 00:09

Paul, Mike Argetsinger was a regular member here. Apart from being an expert in the field, he's genuinely a terrific guy- try contacting him (link is to Atlas profile, with a link to his E-mail, if he still uses that address), and maybe he'll be kind enough to help You out. If you do, pls. give my best to him and his family- I wish he was still around...

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 00:37

I don't for some strange reason, have Mike's e.mail address on this computer!

I have a notion he changed it a while back. But in the interim, I have phoned and left a message for him about this thread. I'm sure he'll check out the website, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't contribute something to it.

And Wolf, you're right... an absolute shame that Mike has chosen to stay away from here. He did so, of course, because of the ruckus last year and the fact that he needed to spend more of his time on the impending Walt Hansgen book.

#4 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:15

Thanks :) It'd be great to see what contributions Mike Argetsinger could give regarding the Watkins Glen photo tour. Or are you saying he might be interested in writing articles about anything to do with motor racing?

There's a few things I'm looking for, really, to be the subject of the articles - and I think realistically, Atlas members are the best choice to be the writers of these articles. These are the sorts of things I'd like to have on the main website:

- Past Experiences
  • The day you met a Grand Prix hero, like Jim Clark, or Fangio etc.
  • If you were part of a race team (Like Twinny, or Barry Boor) - interesting stories from those times, or what it was like etc.
  • Memories of a special race
- Knowledge-based articles
  • Review of an interesting race - like a Grand Prix in the 1950s, or even something from the 1920s.
  • Tribute/informational article about a racing driver who maybe raced 20, 30 or 40 years ago.
  • Informational article about a particular car/team - maybe a single article on the Tyrrell P34, or an article on Tyrrell's history.
- Photo posts
  • Photos you took at a particular event
  • 'Photo tours' of race circuits

These are just examples - and it can be anything from Formula 1, to saloon car racing, to small national championships. I'd be really grateful if any Atlas members could one day find the time to write something on one or more of the above, or maybe something I haven't mentioned :)

So far, I have only got a few articles...and I'm not sure I have the knowledge to expand it much further.

#5 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 14:25

Bump :p

#6 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 18:40

Originally posted by Ray Bell
I don't for some strange reason, have Mike's e.mail address on this computer!

I have a notion he changed it a while back. But in the interim, I have phoned and left a message for him about this thread. I'm sure he'll check out the website, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't contribute something to it.

And Wolf, you're right... an absolute shame that Mike has chosen to stay away from here. He did so, of course, because of the ruckus last year and the fact that he needed to spend more of his time on the impending Walt Hansgen book.

Paul,
PM me and I will provide Mike's e-mail.

He helped us immensely by providing some driver contacts for our recent memorial expansion celebration.

Henry

#7 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 22:19

Paul, I recommended Mike because he knows Watkins very well, and has even helped the builders of Watkins Glen '48 track for GPL. Of course, he knows a lot more, but whenever someone mentions Watkins I remember him...

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:13

Mike has seen the thread...

And he's e.mailed me. He is very happy to see the photos and also happy to see the kind words Wolf has written about him.

His absence from TNF is a great shame.