Around the Houses: the website

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 13:09

Well, I've been and gone and done it:

A website about "Around the Houses" and its successors, plus miscellaneous junk.

www.terrywalkersplace.com

It went live about an hour ago after all the usual travails for a newbie webdesigner / webmaster. I wanted to call it "aroundthehouses" but some speculator has the domain name tucked away.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 22:33

Looking good Terry... and much appreciated...

However, do you think you could smooth out that dogleg in the Woody Point map?

#3 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:33

I had to do a bit of a lash-up job using Photoshop on the original map. My next project is to get an old PC with Windows 3.1, and get my Aldus Intellidraw software running, and I can then redraw maps properly. And draw new ones. It was a terrifically easy programme to use when what you wanted was a an accurate wiggly line.

The site uses 27 meg of my 100 meg space, so there's plenty of room for expansion.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:53

I don't think you understand what I mean...

At Arthur Street, where Ernest and Kate streets are linked, it was an S-bend, not a sharp pair of junctions... it flowed across Ernest street.

It doesn't today, however, though the fence line shows that it used to.

#5 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:07

Thanks Ray. Any luck, next upload will fix it. In the meantime, just bagged a load of old Visor magazines with lots of 1950s and early 60s detailed race results.

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:21

Terry, there's a new form of book production out which allows for very small runs to be economically produced...

I have a letter from a publisher here, I should send it to you.

#7 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 13:09

Thanks Ray - I've heard stories about it but purely on the grapevine. That is, if we are talking about the same thing. Details would be fascinating.

On the website, I'm almost ready for the first update. Maybe late next week. Stacks of new lap charts and whatnot. I've smoothed the intersection at Woody point. I've added Norm Kestel to the profiles. I'd thought he moved east after WW2, because he disappeared from the road racing scene, but it turns out he went solo Speedway racing until 1949 when he got killed in a traffic accident: at night, ran his motorbike into the back of a car turning right in Stirling Hwy. Age 33.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 20:58

I'll put you in touch with the guy then...

Barry Collerson's book was done by a similar method, but it was very poorly laid out from what I've been told. This guy says the people he's working with have the biggest and best of this gear in the country.

#9 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:30

www.terrywalkersplace.com

has just been updated with a lot of additional material. If you're interested in the trivia of Western Australia's motoring history, you'll find it interesting. If you want to see a crisp 1967 colour photo of Stan Jones in his new Maserati 250F practising for the 1957 Australian Grand Prix, it's in there too.

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:13

In what section is that, Terry?

I can't seem to locate it...

#11 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 13:47

It's in the section "About the CD ROM" under "Around the Houses".

#12 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:35

I've bumped this thread to let you know I've tarted up www.terrywalkersplace.com , the site about Western Australian racing, and begun adding post-1969 detailed results. Sort of a first anniversary spring clean. It was getting clunky to maintain so I succumbed to Frames...

Where does a year go?

Best wishes to all TNFers.

#13 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 15:42

Originally posted by Terry Walker
I've bumped this thread to let you know I've tarted up www.terrywalkersplace.com , the site about Western Australian racing, and begun adding post-1969 detailed results. Sort of a first anniversary spring clean. It was getting clunky to maintain so I succumbed to Frames...

Where does a year go?

Best wishes to all TNFers.

I've 22 months until reitrement.

Keep up the good work and hope to follow!

What would be the one motorsports thing that still eludes you on the Western front of Australia?

Henry

#14 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:03

I've bumped this thread to let you know I've added lots of detailed race results - and hillclimb results - to the site in the form of PDFs. Also a few new pics and yet another around-the-houses circuit variation.

I hope, within a couple of years, to have the whole of the 20th century's Western Australian results assembled into a single document. Maybe as a CD-ROM, but better yet maybe the WA Sporting Car Club might include the lot on their own website.

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:51

Some great additions to your site, Terry...

But I'm curious about the Norm Scott colour pics. Expensive though they were (box Brownie with colour yet!), they do show that the car wasn't supercharged at that time.

I'll try to dig up pics of the rear of the Zephyr Special to confirm or deny whether that's the Tempo Matador gearbox, but I do believe that the rear hubs are without checking.

Oh, yeah, that first Collie circuit must have been exceptionally tight!

And you could have mentioned that Harley Pederick's wreck was what put a stop to 'Around the Houses' racing...

#16 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:51

Yes, Scott's car was unsupercharged by then. You can see the cutout in the body where the supercharger used to be. And while it's likely that the Hank Vaanholt rollover finally finished off round the houses races, the main problem for some years had been the extensive track improvements CAMS kept wanting. I read some correspondence on preparing for a late Albany meeting, and the Council was up for a lot of roadworks, surface repairs, new culverts etc etc.

Incidentally, I have seen a copy of the pic of Hugo Armstrong leaning on the Triumph Imp after his Brooklands (WA) successes. On the back is a handwritten note by E T Armtrong confirming Hugo was 15 years old. It reads:

"1931. Brother Hugo at "Brooklands" WA where at 15 I stupidly let him drive one of my cars. He won 5 cups in two days. Then father said to him "promise me never again". He kept his word."

#17 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 16:12

Terry was kind enough to bring a CD Rom for me to the UK last autumn. It is well worth having and very easy to use.

BTW, what was Sullivan's Peugeot engined DSM , was it successful at all, was the 5 sp sequential box in Jolly's 15 a "queerbox"?

Understatement in one caption; "The Bristol powered Triumph Herald was not a success" Love it.

Roger Lund

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 19:47

Jolly's Lotus did have a queerbox...

It was the source of great concern in later years when the Gibson family raced the car. Somewhere along the way it had been assembled incorrectly, one spacer in the wrong place or something, so that gear engagement was very tenuous.

When Grant Gibson worked at Williams he took the 15 to England and bit by bit went through the car. Making a jig to assemble the gearbox without the constraints of the original housing, he found the problem and finally corrected it.

#19 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 22:18

Thanks Ray.

RL

Advertisement

#20 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 00:29

Dave Sullivan's DSM was a space-frame single seater using the then-proven combination of Peugeot power and VW transmission. Later the car acquired a Holden 2.3 litre six. It was quite successful, taking Dave to a state Racing Car Championship, until the move to Wanneroo Park, when Bob Ilich appeared with a F2 Brabham and home-made cars were suddenly obsolete. Dave took the DSM to the newly opened Ravenswood Drag Strip where he was very successful over the standing quarter until real slingshot dragsters began to appear. He started to put a Ford V8 in the car before finally giving up competition. The car, minus the chassis, which eventually rusted out due to the coolant running through chassis rails, still exists. Dave, who is in his eighties, is still golfing.

DSM stood for Dave Sullivan Motors.

A notable feature of the DSM was that it was styled by artist Robert Juniper, and had the Ferrari shark-nose look.

#21 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:02

Thanks, Terry

RL

#22 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:08

Another update. Nothing dramatic; a different home page photo, although that's been up for some weks now, and shows the Stan Jones Maserati 250F practicing for the 1957 AGP (50th anniversary). A dozen new race programmes 1966-2006. Some more race results. Other minor odds and sods.

I now have scans of the 1956 WA Sporting Car Club Dinner menu, with cartoons by Terry Trowell. Next update I'll put it up under Gallery.

#23 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:05

Posting from the http://www.ausmini.c...orums/index.php forum....

I am extremely great-full that my Son has kindly uploaded a video of Albany around the houses on YouTube

"Part 1"-

"Part 2"-

Enjoy

#24 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:54

another fabulous post from that site...enjoy :up:

[quote="'77 clubby van"]
Lots of pics. It was a good day and suprisingly beautiful weather given it was raining everywhere else in the area! 8)

1st a couple of vids:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This blue Alfa GTV (DEF YET) ended up in the wall in one of the last races. :cry:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image