Remember the Bathurst 24-hour race?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 20:39

Well, it's a shame if you don't!

A truly great event. But a victim of Ross Palmer's whim to quit motor racing, hence only two editions of the race were run.

But there is a group that's been set up to try to get if off the ground again. They are being very careful about things, but know how big a task it is and the kind of money that's involved.

And they know the enthusiasm the competitors showed for the race and will continue to show if they do succeed.

They have started a forum for interested parties... it's still very small, very few visiting and posting there.

Surely there are those here who would like to join them?

Advertisement

#2 Alan Johnston

Alan Johnston

• 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:55

Yes Ray, I've been watching their web site (ex procar link from memory) on and off for some time, I'd love to be able to see more 24hr Bathurst's, the enthusiasim, the sheer grit and hard work was evident in the interviews of the last race, the pom's with second or third (ps I'm allowed to say pom cos I am one!) in the last race, they were so emotional to have raced at Bathurst and survived!

But unless there is the money and the support I cannot see it going to far (unfortunately).

Let's not let us see anything again like the ill fated Le Mans series held in Adelaide, when the premier Mike Rann ran away from the commitment of more races after the first one.
Unless you promote long distance racing as long distance racing, the general public are going to think it's a glorified V8 series, DUH!!!

Me, I always wanted to go to Le Mans and just be there, instead all I could aford was Brands Hatch, a push bike ride away, which I must say, lit a fire in my belly that has not been extinguished to this day.

Regards
Alan

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:48

Finding the backing, I believe, is their main aim...

The Bathurst City Council will be there for them when they do. The competitors will be there, the infrastructure will fall into place. It's just the money, that's the main thrust of the planning group that's been operating these past eight or ten months.

And their aim is just one thing... a 24-hour race at Bathurst.

No preliminary 3-hour or 6-hour or 1000kms or 12-hours... just a 24-hour.

#4 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:37

Has there been an update since the B24 plans wer rebuffed in favour of a historic festival only using the bottom of the circuit?

#5 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,358 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:01

:)
The latest news i have on this matter ,is that some historic poeple are talking to the council and the plan is to have a new track built in the lower car park ,then back past the pits,
Some car dealer who lives on the straight will not give permission to ues the top part behind the pits.(wanker).
Plans are getting along and news will be out soon.
:up:

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:28

Waste of time and mountain...

I'd rather be at Amaroo Park... as it is today!

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 15:18

The thread is about the 24-hours...

Which were (and will again be, I hope) better than any of the 500s or 1000s.

#8 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 23:13

So has B24 plans been abandoned then since they can't get the circuit?

I've also been told that the historic guys do have full access as they have three categories licenced torun the full circuit and want to race them, presumably Group N, Group C/A and another sedan based class.

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 00:58

The Bathurst City Council have made it clear they want to see the full circuit used more than once a year...

And it would most likely be all Historic classes except the later openwheelers and sports cars, I would say. No F5000s or FAt etc.

#10 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:36

Ray, my information was only three classes would do any racing at all. As a festival this is likely to be closer in format to the Muscle Car Masters, than to the large Shannons backed all-historic meetings with lots of demonstration runs, likely with much of it speed limited and little actual racing.

If, as has been suggested elsewhere, that B24 organisers were rebuffed because Council preferred this historic idea - then what is likely to happen to the prospective B24 concept? They can't very do it without the track, and if the Council ain't interested, they ain't interested.

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:27

I've not seen or heard any suggestion that the Council has knocked the 24-hour... none at all...

#12 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,358 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:00

:wave:

I been told that the council are not interested in the B24 toooooo much of a hassle and that is that!!!!!! They love the idea of the short race days.

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:04

If that's the case, there's nothing to look forward to in motor racing in Australia... ever...

Last press release I saw, though, said they were keen on it.

#14 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:14

When was the last time anyone ever said anything negative in a press release?

Even the press releases issued by Pine Rivers Shire Council say they look forward to motorsport returning to Lakeside, even though we all know that is not actually the case.

It's called spin.

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:05

Falc... the Bathurst City Council are in the process of trying to get the Mount Panorama Act, the law under which the circuit operates, changed to allow five full closures for race meetings each year.

This is heavy stuff, dealing with the State Government and trying to get them to change the law. I believe it will happen and that when it does there will be plenty of room for the race we need to have.

#16 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 13:31

OK, a momentary hypotehtical. B24 guys have a meeting with the council about the race. BCC says no, we're giving the Easter weekend to a historic festival idea that we really like.

Are you telling me that nobody in the room did not suggest, 'well how about another weekend?'

If the news from that meet was well maybe on another weekend, surely someone would have said that?

Instead why all the down trodden faces? There must have been something else they did not like.

I have the highest hopes that a B24 can be resurrected - you saw me there did I look like I hated the event - but why were they rebuffed if another weekend was not a possibility

I ask because I want to know, and I want to be wrong.

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 13:51

Who was rebuffed?

There won't be a B-24 until someone comes up with a lot of money! That hasn't yet happened, so it's not an issue at all.

And at this stage, the circuit is only available twice a year - by law! I hope, Mark, you get a grip of that thought... there is a law that allows those roads to be used just twice a year. With no viable 24-hour, there was no impediment to the Historic event.

#18 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 14:25

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Who was rebuffed?

There won't be a B-24 until someone comes up with a lot of money! That hasn't yet happened, so it's not an issue at all.

And at this stage, the circuit is only available twice a year - by law! I hope, Mark, you get a grip of that thought... there is a law that allows those roads to be used just twice a year. With no viable 24-hour, there was no impediment to the Historic event.

I had thought it had been upped to three times a year as I thought I could remember bikes running once during the touring car split years. Apparently memory cheats. No need to be nasty about it.

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 14:28

Who's being nasty?

It's simply a matter of you putting up an argument about something that doesn't exist. We have to be clear about these things or rumours start, people have misunderstandings, it makes it harder for those who are trying to do something about getting the race up and running to get that done.

As for the bikes, yes, they did have a run. It was at Easter time, when there was car racing held as well. For years this was the case... two days for cars, two days for bikes. All one weekend.

Advertisement

#20 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 14:34

I thought the Easter bike meeting came to an end some 15 years before the touring car split years I mentioned. I just had a vague recollection of an Easter revival meeting during those years. Guess my brain made it up.

#21 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 21:16

There were Easter meetings during the early to mid-nineties...

There were a couple of 12-hour races early on, then the ATCC round was held there at least twice after that. At least one of those two (or three) ATCC meetings were accompanied by a bike meeting.

Two outfit riders being killed at McPhillamy is probably what put an end to that.

#22 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:47

Just two. The 12 hour ran 91-94, then ATCC rounds 95/96 which were poorly attended. The ATCC round was dropped for '97, which was just as well for the tin top guys as that was the year they told the ARDC and Channel 7 that we don't like you anymore we're backing our bags and leaving. If the ATCC round was in place and a two race limit imposed then either the BCC would have had to rather expensively buy out ARDC's contract for the race, or the V8s would have had to race the 1000 at another circuit.

But maybe they thought of that before playing brinkmanship with the ARDC.

#23 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:56

The last Easter bike meet was held in 1988; the impending World Championship Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix at Phillip Island, and poor attendance after the increased police presence of 1986 resulted in the end of the traditional meeting.

The first 12 hour was held in 1991. In 1992, '93 and '94, the bikes were a part of the meeting (it was in 1994 that the sidecar fatalities occurred).

For 1995, James Hardie pulled the plug on the sponsorship, the promoters couldn't find a new sponsor in time, and the BCC allocated the second race meeting to a round of the ATCC for 1995 and 1996 (I don't believe the bikes were on the support card for these two meetings).

From 1997 to 1999, we had the Channel 7 and AVESCO Bathurst meetings.

For 2000, Channel 7 pulled out, and the second race meeting was allocated to bike race meeting at Easter. For various reasons - not sure what they were - this turned out to be a one-off.

#24 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:12

Just to complete your list, William... let's add the other 'last Bathursts'...

1973... the last Easter car race meeting of the conventional mixed categories type... and 1961 was the last such October race meeting. 1972, of course, was the last '500'.

#25 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:39

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Falc... the Bathurst City Council are in the process of trying to get the Mount Panorama Act, the law under which the circuit operates, changed to allow five full closures for race meetings each year.

This is heavy stuff, dealing with the State Government and trying to get them to change the law. I believe it will happen and that when it does there will be plenty of room for the race we need to have.

"If that's the case, there's nothing to look forward to in motor racing in Australia... ever..."

Stone the Crows Raymond....you really are taking this 24 business to heart....passion can cloud the mind???....there is plenty to look forward to in Australia...I'm getting very toey about PI Historics 10-12 Feb 06....and if you saved up your pennies you could even go over to Le Mans the modern home of endurance racing every year for your fix :up:

Five meetings a year, I can see a problem with that....at the moment, the hundreds of Officials required to make the circuit work endure sub-standard conditions for the "great race" because it is only once a year at one of the greatest circuits in the world. The organisers might be confronted with the same scarcity or regulars that the 24 hour encountered unless something is done to improve the lot of the volunteers....(steps down off soapbox)

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:18

Yeah, certainly I can look forward to Phillip Island too... and I yesterday took steps to make it (just) possible for me to get there on the Sunday.

But the 24-hour I can see as inciting new interest across Australia. It could grow and become greater than the present 1000km event, with a broader appeal and many things in its favour that the 1000 can no longer have.

So tell me... what else is there? The Tasman Cup, after all, has done its dash...

#27 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 20:57

I admire your enthusiasm Ray, but a revive B24 would not be allowed to threaten the B1000. It would be easier to make the Daytona 24 Hour bigger than the Daytona 500.

Frind of mine has just posted his entry form for the Bathurst International Motorsport Festival weekend at Easter. Only one historic category will be racing at all - Group N Touring Cars as part of the Biante Series. The other two categories racing on the weekend will be V8 Utes series and the Australian GT Championship.

So the B24 cars will be racing, just the race will be a bit shorter.

William: the bike meeting in 2000 was a one-off because the organisers took an absolute bath on it. They had packed up shop and folded into the ether before the last race was finished from what I remember.

#28 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 22:40

Originally posted by Falcadore
.....So the B24 cars will be racing, just the race will be a bit shorter.....

I'm afraid that this statement shows you have no concept of what it's all about, Mark. The good thing is that the B1000 people don't either. So...

I admire your enthusiasm Ray, but a revive B24 would not be allowed to threaten the B1000. It would be easier to make the Daytona 24 Hour bigger than the Daytona 500.

...they simply won't know it's happening.

#29 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:39

OK then Ray, for your clarification - some potential B24 entrants that would need to be enticed from within present Australian race teams, will be racing.

Considering the time effort and political capital AVESCO spent on contributing to the downfall of TOCA Australia, then PROCAR, I think you underestimate AVESCO's efforts to concentrate the outgoing direction of Australian motorsporting news which, from their perspective, should be all V8Supercar, all the time.

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:48

It doesn't matter about that, Mark...

It's not a 24-hour so it's not worth mentioning.

#31 Warren Matthews

Warren Matthews

• 58 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:12

I would love to see a 24 hour again with real cars not "sort of sports sedans"

Love to see classes with BMW, MB, Alfa, etc etc-As we have seen in previous 24 Hour the correctly prepared Australian V8 with the right engine can win.

#32 xbgs351

xbgs351

• 129 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:31

I would love to see the return of the 12 or 24 hour racing. Bring racing at Bathurst back to it's roots of production car racing.

I was at the Bathurst 1000 last year. The only racing I watched was the historics. The V8Supercar was just a stage managed circus, watched by a gullible audience.

I actually got to do a lap of Bathurst before the start of the race as part of the "Hardtop Challenge". It was great, especially when I got to see the excited reaction of the track marshalls who could remember when hardtops were doing the event.

After doing the lap I went through the museum, watched the start of the "Great Race" and left. I actually regretted leaving the museum early to watch the start. I did however get lots of suspension photos of Allan Moffats Mustang and XC hardtop (with security permission).

#33 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,269 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:15

Originally posted by xbgs351
I would love to see the return of the 12 or 24 hour racing. Bring racing at Bathurst back to its roots of production car racing.....

Which 'roots of production car racing'?

Bathurst had its roots in openwheeler racing. It expanded to all forms of racing, with production racing only becoming a part of things in 1962. At least in any large scale.

This, however, is about 24-hour racing. A big race with multiple classes and categories, fast cars and faster cars. No 12-hour... just 24-hours.