Photo

The 1960 Riverside helmet.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:53

I'll probably survive without knowing this, but I've long been curious about why SCM did not wear the familar Herbert Johnson helmet at the USGP at Riverside in 1960.

As far as I can see a Herbert Johnson made the trans Atlantic trip both before and after that race but at Riverside he wore what looks like an American helmet. Why?

Did he simply forget the HJ? Did someone pay him to wear the Riverside helmet? Did he wear it elsewhere?

I am curious - Vanwall ;)

PS. I wonder if the finger at the hooter is Stirling saying: "Psst! I'm wearing a dodgy helmet. Don't breathe a word."

Posted Image
Pic: Bernard Cahier, AUTOMOBILE YEAR 1960.

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:23

He wore that hat in other races too

#3 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:45

Looks like SCM used the Herbert Johnson at the October 1960 Riverside sports car race, but maybe had the other helmet (a Bell?) the weekend after at Laguna Seca, then at the November 1960 USGP, and at the New Zealand GP in January 1961. By Sebring in March of '61 he was back to the Herbert Johnson. Does that sound right?

At the 2001 Monterey Historics, we watched the 1947-1955 sports racers coming out of pre-grid for practice. The lady official was waving them out, but then stopped one of the cars...Steve Earle's C-type Jag being driven by SCM! After lengthy discussion with SCM, Lady Susan, and race control about his non-approved Herbert Johnson, she was assured that SCM had an exemption to use that helmet, and he was allowed to practice! As it turned out, there was a handling problem with the Jag, and he didn't race it anyways! Photos at:

http://img215.images...y20012510mq.jpg

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada